How To Beat Father Time?

I don't know if I have a question or a comment here but I thought I'd share what's been on my mind golfing-wise lately.

Phil winning the PGA Championship at his age was very inspiring to me, and many others I'm sure.  It's also a bit gratifying and relieving, in a way that I'll explain.

I turn 43 in a week.  I got started playing golf 9 years ago, and needless to say I'm hooked and obsessed...I spend most waking moments (much to my wife's chagrin) thinking about how to get better.  After literally decades of training for other pursuits, I've finally started to train for power and explosiveness and continue to make incremental improvements in my swing speed numbers.  I also spend a lot of time stretching out and working on mobility, and I'm certain I'm more flexible and mobile than I've ever been.

But, I'm aware I'm getting older.  (I know, I know, many older and better golfers than me here...)  Last fall I battled some plantar fasciitis that I need orthotics to get past, and this year golfer's elbow has been an issue...little aches and pain are appearing that haven't been a problem before.  I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

The point of this rambling is this:  I'm competitive by nature and I want to improve every year to the point that I'm a credible player in state-level amateur events, whenever that time is where my ability and career/family align to allow me to do it.  (Maybe that's a lofty goal, but if it is, good...just how I'm wired.)  

The question that keeps creeping up in my mind is what's the window?  How many years can I continue to improve before I inevitably MUST decline?  I don't just mean distance and speed, I mean the whole game...putting and short game feel, all of it.  In fact, I've heard many opine that age catches up with you first in your putting before anywhere else due to nerves, but maybe that's an anecdote towards the pro level.  

If anyone has any thoughts or comments to share I'm all ears, whether its tips and tricks you've used to keep improving as time has marched on, or just your thoughts on the question in general.

• Like 3

Driver: TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids:  SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter:  ER7B 

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

IMO the deterioration in short game and putting doesn't not come from physical deterioration or nerves but from the build up of past mental scars. Getting past that is not easy but is attainable. I know many players that are competitive well into their 60's. 

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Get on hormone replacement therapy. 

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 45”/ Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 43” / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX 40.25”/ SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 Stock Lengths/Lies / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1 34”

Humble, TX / Right Handed / 10 Handicap

2 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck... 

Ha, that didn't take long!

Actually, I'm sure you're right.  Just lofty goals and ambitions, and I get invited to play a lot with military retirees in the area who (to say it delicately) are losing the battle, and I don't want that to happen to me.

• Like 3

If you go vegan you will apparently live 7-10 years longer on average. 

The old guys are usually the bandits around the green chipping and putting. Eventually can only hit it 150-200, but always down the middle. Club head speed slowly drops, but you got 20-25 years of being able to swing driver at least 110. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

Well, according to the new Disney+ Marvel show, “Loki”, we can’t!!!

• Haha 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Well, according to the new Disney+ Marvel show, “Loki”, we can’t!!!

Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Get on that TB12 diet. Or Roger Clemens had a solution too. 😂

Na man, as many have said short game should be fine, if not get better. Keep up with some speed training and flexibility and I bet you’ll still bomb them past me in 20 years. 

• Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

45 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's shaping up to be a great show. 

Totally agree! My girls even watched last night because they enjoyed WandaVision! 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Totally agree! My girls even watched last night because they enjoyed WandaVision! 

That's awesome! 

I do apologize @Getoffmylawn for the thread hijack. As far as Father Time goes, I think there has been some pretty good advice thus far. I think flexibility, strength training, and playing all have positive effects in getting better as we age. Your "Need for Speed" thread is a positive inspiration for us all. I know I need to really work on these aspects of my game as well. I've done fairly well the last year, losing almost 20 lbs, but fitness wise I have a long way to go. Keep up the great work!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's awesome! 

I do apologize @Getoffmylawn for the thread hijack. As far as Father Time goes, I think there has been some pretty good advice thus far. I think flexibility, strength training, and playing all have positive effects in getting better as we age. Your "Need for Speed" thread is a positive inspiration for us all. I know I need to really work on these aspects of my game as well. I've done fairly well the last year, losing almost 20 lbs, but fitness wise I have a long way to go. Keep up the great work!

Same. SORRY!!!

• Like 1

You dirty hijacking SOBs!  

All good fellas.  I geek out on the Marvel stuff too anyway.  And @sirchunksalot, congrats on the weight loss...impressive!

Plenty of positive enough feedback here to assuage my immediate concerns.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 4:19 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Ha, that didn't take long!

Actually, I'm sure you're right.  Just lofty goals and ambitions, and I get invited to play a lot with military retirees in the area who (to say it delicately) are losing the battle, and I don't want that to happen to me.

If it makes you feel better, I'm mid-30s with similar concerns.  I've spent the last two years really trying to figure out my swing.  During covid, practice was almost exclusively on a mat, and I did a lot of practice which can take a toll on you regardless of age.  My thought process was that while I'm still younger, I should figure out my swing, which has been OTT and heavy, because right now my body can handle the stress of making that change.  I'll have the rest of my life to worry about short game, course management, and the like.  

I'm pretty healthy and I'm in decent shape, but my buddy and I are planning a 40th birthday trip to Bandon and I plan to train some in order to walk 36 a day.  Like you, I've seen some peers that have not taken care of themselves struggle physically, and at my dad's age, he struggles to find friends healthy enough to golf with him.  Never too early to start thinking about longevity, but like others have pointed out, you're probably already better positioned than most.  

On 6/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

this year golfer's elbow has been an issue...little aches and pain are appearing that haven't been a problem before.  I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

I cannot recommend a therabar enough.

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Tendonitis-Strength-Resistance-Tendinitis/dp/B000BPV3GO/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=theraband+flexbar&qid=1625669461&rdc=1&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNzJLVElPN0ozR1VHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI5NjIxMUdCQTlNSDlFTUlQWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ1Mjc3MUJHQk1aSEg1Rkw1QyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I would not have been able to practice 3+ days a week, maybe 9 hours total off a mat during covid without it.  It's important to watch the youtube videos about how to use it, but it's great.  I've also found a massage gun to be helpful for recovery.  I use collagen protein, but I can't say for sure if it helps.

• Like 1

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

F L E X I B I L I T Y!!!!!!   Get more and maintain it and you will avoid a lot of aches and pains type stuff!!!  As you get older, workout with enough weights to give resistance and feel strong but not enough to cause injury.   

• Like 2

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck, your thinking to much. Next week I turn 62 and my handicap has gone down from around a 5 to it's current 1.6 over the last 4 years.

Well, good to know I have at least 10 more years of potential improvement!  😀

• Like 1
  • PXG 0811X Proto Driver - Evenflow Riptide 60
  • PXG 0311 Proto 3W - Evenflow Riptide 60
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB (4-PW) - Aerotech Steelfiber i95
  • Mizuno T20 56/10 - Aerotech Steelfiber i95
  • Nike V-Forged 52
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty Black 61
  • Mizuno M Craft II White Satin Putter 
  • Snell MTB-X and Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

I anticipate getting a lot better, once I stop working 5 days a week, in about a year (I'm 55 now).  I can assure you the most important thing I have seen here, and its something I started working on about two years ago, IS FLEXIBILITY AND STRETCHING!  Start Now if you don't.  I went from playing tennis, and softball at 43, to playing golf, not quite as active of a sport.  Part of it was age, part of it was overall inactivity, but I went from 43 and barely having to stretch and having rubber bands for hamstrings, to 53 and having a couple of broomsticks for hamstrings.  Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!  That's my input!!

• Like 1

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

This is likely due to you exceeding your maximum recovery volume either weekly or combined over whatever your mesocycles of training are. Could possibly be about calorie intake especially protein and also sleep, life stressors outside the gym. 

The question that keeps creeping up in my mind is what's the window?  How many years can I continue to improve before I inevitably MUST decline?  I don't just mean distance and speed, I mean the whole game...putting and short game feel, all of it.  In fact, I've heard many opine that age catches up with you first in your putting before anywhere else due to nerves, but maybe that's an anecdote towards the pro level.

Age is going to catchup but we have to check the egos and play from tee boxes that allow one to score well as well as play the game in a manner that minimizes penalties...both of which are no different than how to approach playing well at any age

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck, your thinking to much. Next week I turn 62 and my handicap has gone down from around a 5 to it's current 1.6 over the last 4 years. Your never to old to get better. My driving distance has increased, my long and short game is good. Most importantly I do not know what a gym is! Never been inside one. I am not a range rat either. The key to maintaining your level of play as you get older is maintaining flexibility and play golf. This summer my plan is to improve my middle game accuracy. Then I hope to see my handicap drop even more. Always set a goal and try to achieve it. 

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in our pro shop between one of our older members and the Pro. He said his drives were off a bit so he wanted to schedule a lesson. A former Tuskegee Airman (WWII), he's 94 and note i see him on the range all the time. Now that's a positive attitude! 

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy