TESTERS WANTED! ×

How To Beat Father Time?

I don't know if I have a question or a comment here but I thought I'd share what's been on my mind golfing-wise lately.

Phil winning the PGA Championship at his age was very inspiring to me, and many others I'm sure.  It's also a bit gratifying and relieving, in a way that I'll explain.

I turn 43 in a week.  I got started playing golf 9 years ago, and needless to say I'm hooked and obsessed...I spend most waking moments (much to my wife's chagrin) thinking about how to get better.  After literally decades of training for other pursuits, I've finally started to train for power and explosiveness and continue to make incremental improvements in my swing speed numbers.  I also spend a lot of time stretching out and working on mobility, and I'm certain I'm more flexible and mobile than I've ever been.

But, I'm aware I'm getting older.  (I know, I know, many older and better golfers than me here...)  Last fall I battled some plantar fasciitis that I need orthotics to get past, and this year golfer's elbow has been an issue...little aches and pain are appearing that haven't been a problem before.  I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

The point of this rambling is this:  I'm competitive by nature and I want to improve every year to the point that I'm a credible player in state-level amateur events, whenever that time is where my ability and career/family align to allow me to do it.  (Maybe that's a lofty goal, but if it is, good...just how I'm wired.)  

The question that keeps creeping up in my mind is what's the window?  How many years can I continue to improve before I inevitably MUST decline?  I don't just mean distance and speed, I mean the whole game...putting and short game feel, all of it.  In fact, I've heard many opine that age catches up with you first in your putting before anywhere else due to nerves, but maybe that's an anecdote towards the pro level.  

If anyone has any thoughts or comments to share I'm all ears, whether its tips and tricks you've used to keep improving as time has marched on, or just your thoughts on the question in general.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

IMO the deterioration in short game and putting doesn't not come from physical deterioration or nerves but from the build up of past mental scars. Getting past that is not easy but is attainable. I know many players that are competitive well into their 60's. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Get on hormone replacement therapy. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck... 

Ha, that didn't take long!

Actually, I'm sure you're right.  Just lofty goals and ambitions, and I get invited to play a lot with military retirees in the area who (to say it delicately) are losing the battle, and I don't want that to happen to me.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

If you go vegan you will apparently live 7-10 years longer on average. 

The old guys are usually the bandits around the green chipping and putting. Eventually can only hit it 150-200, but always down the middle. Club head speed slowly drops, but you got 20-25 years of being able to swing driver at least 110. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Well, according to the new Disney+ Marvel show, “Loki”, we can’t!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Well, according to the new Disney+ Marvel show, “Loki”, we can’t!!!

Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Get on that TB12 diet. Or Roger Clemens had a solution too. 😂

Na man, as many have said short game should be fine, if not get better. Keep up with some speed training and flexibility and I bet you’ll still bomb them past me in 20 years. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

45 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's shaping up to be a great show. 

Totally agree! My girls even watched last night because they enjoyed WandaVision! 

8 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Totally agree! My girls even watched last night because they enjoyed WandaVision! 

That's awesome! 

I do apologize @Getoffmylawn for the thread hijack. As far as Father Time goes, I think there has been some pretty good advice thus far. I think flexibility, strength training, and playing all have positive effects in getting better as we age. Your "Need for Speed" thread is a positive inspiration for us all. I know I need to really work on these aspects of my game as well. I've done fairly well the last year, losing almost 20 lbs, but fitness wise I have a long way to go. Keep up the great work!

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's awesome! 

I do apologize @Getoffmylawn for the thread hijack. As far as Father Time goes, I think there has been some pretty good advice thus far. I think flexibility, strength training, and playing all have positive effects in getting better as we age. Your "Need for Speed" thread is a positive inspiration for us all. I know I need to really work on these aspects of my game as well. I've done fairly well the last year, losing almost 20 lbs, but fitness wise I have a long way to go. Keep up the great work!

Same. SORRY!!!

You dirty hijacking SOBs!  

All good fellas.  I geek out on the Marvel stuff too anyway.  And @sirchunksalot, congrats on the weight loss...impressive!

Plenty of positive enough feedback here to assuage my immediate concerns.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 4:19 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Ha, that didn't take long!

Actually, I'm sure you're right.  Just lofty goals and ambitions, and I get invited to play a lot with military retirees in the area who (to say it delicately) are losing the battle, and I don't want that to happen to me.

If it makes you feel better, I'm mid-30s with similar concerns.  I've spent the last two years really trying to figure out my swing.  During covid, practice was almost exclusively on a mat, and I did a lot of practice which can take a toll on you regardless of age.  My thought process was that while I'm still younger, I should figure out my swing, which has been OTT and heavy, because right now my body can handle the stress of making that change.  I'll have the rest of my life to worry about short game, course management, and the like.  

I'm pretty healthy and I'm in decent shape, but my buddy and I are planning a 40th birthday trip to Bandon and I plan to train some in order to walk 36 a day.  Like you, I've seen some peers that have not taken care of themselves struggle physically, and at my dad's age, he struggles to find friends healthy enough to golf with him.  Never too early to start thinking about longevity, but like others have pointed out, you're probably already better positioned than most.  

On 6/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

this year golfer's elbow has been an issue...little aches and pain are appearing that haven't been a problem before.  I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

I cannot recommend a therabar enough.

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Tendonitis-Strength-Resistance-Tendinitis/dp/B000BPV3GO/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=theraband+flexbar&qid=1625669461&rdc=1&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNzJLVElPN0ozR1VHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI5NjIxMUdCQTlNSDlFTUlQWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ1Mjc3MUJHQk1aSEg1Rkw1QyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I would not have been able to practice 3+ days a week, maybe 9 hours total off a mat during covid without it.  It's important to watch the youtube videos about how to use it, but it's great.  I've also found a massage gun to be helpful for recovery.  I use collagen protein, but I can't say for sure if it helps.

Titleist 913D2

Ping G2 3W

Ping G2 3H 18*, 4H 22*

Mizuno JPX900

Cleveland CBX 56, 60

Odyssey White Hot RX #2

Snell MTBX

F L E X I B I L I T Y!!!!!!   Get more and maintain it and you will avoid a lot of aches and pains type stuff!!!  As you get older, workout with enough weights to give resistance and feel strong but not enough to cause injury.   

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck, your thinking to much. Next week I turn 62 and my handicap has gone down from around a 5 to it's current 1.6 over the last 4 years.

Well, good to know I have at least 10 more years of potential improvement!  😀

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I anticipate getting a lot better, once I stop working 5 days a week, in about a year (I'm 55 now).  I can assure you the most important thing I have seen here, and its something I started working on about two years ago, IS FLEXIBILITY AND STRETCHING!  Start Now if you don't.  I went from playing tennis, and softball at 43, to playing golf, not quite as active of a sport.  Part of it was age, part of it was overall inactivity, but I went from 43 and barely having to stretch and having rubber bands for hamstrings, to 53 and having a couple of broomsticks for hamstrings.  Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!  That's my input!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

This is likely due to you exceeding your maximum recovery volume either weekly or combined over whatever your mesocycles of training are. Could possibly be about calorie intake especially protein and also sleep, life stressors outside the gym. 

The question that keeps creeping up in my mind is what's the window?  How many years can I continue to improve before I inevitably MUST decline?  I don't just mean distance and speed, I mean the whole game...putting and short game feel, all of it.  In fact, I've heard many opine that age catches up with you first in your putting before anywhere else due to nerves, but maybe that's an anecdote towards the pro level.

Age is going to catchup but we have to check the egos and play from tee boxes that allow one to score well as well as play the game in a manner that minimizes penalties...both of which are no different than how to approach playing well at any age

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck, your thinking to much. Next week I turn 62 and my handicap has gone down from around a 5 to it's current 1.6 over the last 4 years. Your never to old to get better. My driving distance has increased, my long and short game is good. Most importantly I do not know what a gym is! Never been inside one. I am not a range rat either. The key to maintaining your level of play as you get older is maintaining flexibility and play golf. This summer my plan is to improve my middle game accuracy. Then I hope to see my handicap drop even more. Always set a goal and try to achieve it. 

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in our pro shop between one of our older members and the Pro. He said his drives were off a bit so he wanted to schedule a lesson. A former Tuskegee Airman (WWII), he's 94 and note i see him on the range all the time. Now that's a positive attitude! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

11 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard in our pro shop between one of our older members and the Pro. He said his drives were off a bit so he wanted to schedule a lesson. A former Tuskegee Airman (WWII), he's 94 and note i see him on the range all the time. Now that's a positive attitude! 

I can only hope and pray that I'm still kicking around the golf course AND still looking for ways to get better when I'm that age!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I don't know if I have a question or a comment here but I thought I'd share what's been on my mind golfing-wise lately.

Phil winning the PGA Championship at his age was very inspiring to me, and many others I'm sure.  It's also a bit gratifying and relieving, in a way that I'll explain.

I turn 43 in a week.  I got started playing golf 9 years ago, and needless to say I'm hooked and obsessed...I spend most waking moments (much to my wife's chagrin) thinking about how to get better.  After literally decades of training for other pursuits, I've finally started to train for power and explosiveness and continue to make incremental improvements in my swing speed numbers.  I also spend a lot of time stretching out and working on mobility, and I'm certain I'm more flexible and mobile than I've ever been.

But, I'm aware I'm getting older.  (I know, I know, many older and better golfers than me here...)  Last fall I battled some plantar fasciitis that I need orthotics to get past, and this year golfer's elbow has been an issue...little aches and pain are appearing that haven't been a problem before.  I also find overall I don't recover from workouts nearly as quick as I used to.

The point of this rambling is this:  I'm competitive by nature and I want to improve every year to the point that I'm a credible player in state-level amateur events, whenever that time is where my ability and career/family align to allow me to do it.  (Maybe that's a lofty goal, but if it is, good...just how I'm wired.)  

If anyone has any thoughts or comments to share I'm all ears, whether its tips and tricks you've used to keep improving as time has marched on, or just your thoughts on the question in general.

Id say that you could expect to continue to get better well into your 60s or 70s.  Ive played with plenty of senior golfers who are stupid good.  They may not hit the ball as far as they used to but they hit the ball straight, they dont make silly mistakes (trying to hit hero shots) and the can putt like you wouldnt believe.

Im in my 40s now, have been playing since I was 20 years old and I feel like I keep getting better and better every year because my mental game is so good now.  20 year old me could hit the ball a mile but his mental game could be easily shattered by a few bad shots, which would ruin the rest of the round.  40 year old me doesnt hit the ball quite as far but my mental game is nearly unbreakable because I just shrug off a bad shot and the more bad shots I hit, the more I believe that my next shot will be a great one.  Im also much more able to hit a shot, analyze what went right or what went wrong and then let it go and move on to the next one.

I honestly cant wait until Im 65 and can play from the gold tees and play in senior leagues.  Not to mention I'll be semi-retired (because Im never going to really retire) and having all the time that I want to practice and play.  Now, I dont practice at all because with my work schedule, social schedule and other odd jobs around the house; its simply not enough of a priority to me.

I would say that you are never going to beat father time (he is undefeated, afterall) but you can certainly slow him down.  IMO, much of it has to do with your outlook on life (be thankful for what you have and living in gratitude), as well as getting adequate sleep, drinking plenty of water, eating a somewhat healthy diet, exercising and getting into a good daily stretching routine.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 6/10/2021 at 12:39 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

You're way too young to be the least bit concerned about that one.  I started playing later in life (submarine duty got in the way for 20 years), so my experience will differ from those who started at younger ages.  However, I'm getting ready to turn 70 in September and, although I've lost my distance off the tee, I'm still playing "club" competitive golf. My handicap never got real low, but I've been a single digit player for the last 20 years (generally around 8ish).  I think I noticed significant distance loses around the age of 64, but that was also after 2 total knee replacements.  I putt better now than I did 10 years ago and I definitely chip better.  I'm taking a series of lessons with a swing coach and I'm seeing good improvements.  

I play with several members over 70 who still play great golf.  My 78 year old playing partner playes to a 6 handicap.  Our frequent club champion just turned 65 and has shot his age or better a number of times and carries a +1 handicap.  Very few of the younger guys give him a run for his money.

Point is:  Just enjoy your time on the course and enjoy the game and don't sweat getting older.  Embrace it!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I'll echo @CarlH and say that yes, I have lost some distance since I started playing at age 45, and it seems that I have a new ache and pain every year.  However, I don't play this game to just go out and have fun.  Although I gave up my competitive rounds a few years ago, I work very hard to make improvements in my game each time I tee it up.  I managed to shoot my age a few weeks ago... 74, still playing from the same tees I have always played... 6 years after knee replacement!

I believe the putting issues may be most noticeable at the very elite levels of play and are player dependent.  I've never putted better than I do right now, and my short game is much better now that I practice more after retirement.  

You can do whatever you want to do in this game; that's what's great about it.  My Monday walking buddies who are 78 and 81 have given up playing 9 holes.  I saw them on the range today, but I think it's only to get outside and get some exercise.  I suspect that my game will deteriorate some over the next few years, so I will just have to change my goals so that I always have a challenge.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

13 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id say that you could expect to continue to get better well into your 60s or 70s.  Ive played with plenty of senior golfers who are stupid good.  They may not hit the ball as far as they used to but they hit the ball straight, they dont make silly mistakes (trying to hit hero shots) and the can putt like you wouldnt believe.

I started playing golf when I retired in my sixties. I certainly can't hit it as far as you youngin's with my driver - but put a wedge in my hand and lookout! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 7/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, tony@CIC said:

I started playing golf when I retired in my sixties. I certainly can't hit it as far as you youngin's with my driver - but put a wedge in my hand and lookout! 

Amen, brother.  You gotta watch out for those old guys who want to bet on the 1st tee.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 6/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok young buck, your thinking to much. Next week I turn 62 and my handicap has gone down from around a 5 to it's current 1.6 over the last 4 years. Your never to old to get better. My driving distance has increased, my long and short game is good. Most importantly I do not know what a gym is! Never been inside one. I am not a range rat either. The key to maintaining your level of play as you get older is maintaining flexibility and play golf. This summer my plan is to improve my middle game accuracy. Then I hope to see my handicap drop even more. Always set a goal and try to achieve it. 

I will be 62 in 8 weeks. I would agree that flexibility and playing are key to maintaining and/or improving as we age. I need to start a flexibility program, as I am losing distance with all clubs. Nothing major, but I do notice it.... and I don't like it! 😠