Best chipping advice you've ever been given?

The one advice I got that really helped was how far you take your club back your swing should end in the equal distance .. so if I bring my club to my waist on my back swing the club should end on the other side of my waist 

• Like 3

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I was such a horrible chipper that I lobbed everything as close to the stick as I could.

I once had the opportunity to get a brief chipping lesson form a prominent LPGA player back in the 70s, 

but it didn't help. 

It isn't too hard from what I gather given that almost everybody does try to get the ball onto the ground quickly.

I just found the motion to be more awkward and anti-intuitive than just lobbing the ball as far as possible,

but lobbing is said to reduce one's opportunity to hole out and probably does..

• Like 1

Penick's advice is great, get the ball rolling as soon as possible. If you have to chip with a 3i to do this, so be it. But one of the few golf lessons I've had is chipping with a 7 iron with the same idea. Once I was able to put it in action I've used this shot successfully for years.

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

On 6/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, ballplayer002003 said:

The pro at my course told me to keep things as simple as I can.  When chipping, just use a putting motion but change the club and choke down to the end of the grip.  The further away from the green you get just move your hands up the shaft a bit and make a larger putting stroke.  Change the club from a SW to say an 8 iron depending on how you want the ball to come out.  Play around with it and see what feels comfortable to you.

I actually read similar advice in a Golf Magazine article(several years ago).  Had struggled with control.. wrist break.. all of it.  Best advice I ever received.  I don't go as low as 8 iron.  But depending on how much roll I need once it hits  the green, I am anywhere from 56-9iron.  Putting stroke  hands forward to impart spin to check it if needed, or neutral to get more roll out.  I try to land the ball the same distance onto the green and use a different club to obtain the right amount of roll out I need.  Best advice I EVER READ!! 

• Like 3

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

13 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

I actually read similar advice in a Golf Magazine article(several years ago).  Had struggled with control.. wrist break.. all of it.  Best advice I ever received.  I don't go as low as 8 iron.  But depending on how much roll I need once it hits  the green, I am anywhere from 56-9iron.  Putting stroke  hands forward to impart spin to check it if needed, or neutral to get more roll out.  I try to land the ball the same distance onto the green and use a different club to obtain the right amount of roll out I need.  Best advice I EVER READ!! 

works like a charm!  I like how it takes out a lot of different variables.  Just keep the same motion and change the club, not the stroke.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

works like a charm!  I like how it takes out a lot of different variables.  Just keep the same motion and change the club, not the stroke.

I know.  I was getting 45 degree toe shots, trying to swing harder with SW, with wrist break in there.  It was a disaster.  Biggest reason I was able to get from 90, down around mid-low 80's.

• Like 1

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

3 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

I know.  I was getting 45 degree toe shots, trying to swing harder with SW, with wrist break in there.  It was a disaster.  Biggest reason I was able to get from 90, down around mid-low 80's.

The short game is the key.  So much can go wrong with the swing, so keeping it as simple as possible is clutch.  I only break my wrist out of bunkers or if I am trying a flop shot, which is not often.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Just toss the ball to the hole.  The club is just an extension of your hands/arms.  There is no technique thoughts to worry about and it allows for external/target focus. Here's just one example:

• Like 3

Sun Mountain C130-S / Titleist TSi4 8.25* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 TX / Titleist TSi3 14.25* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 TX / New Level NLU-01 18* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5 / New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG TI X100 / Vokey SM8 50,54,58 DGS200 / Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Humble, TX / Right Handed / 10 Handicap / 37.5" 6i @ 61.5* Lie

On 6/21/2021 at 5:36 AM, DStar said:

For me it's boiling down to more practice as the pro told me that you can never practice chipping enough..

If you buy in to the Strokes Gained-based strategy systems, chipping is important, but tee shots and approach shots are generally seen as more important.

That being said... nearly everyone can find a way to practice short shots at home without a ton of investment.  So there's much less of an excuse to ignore it.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 1 month later...

What type of lie is important especially closer to the hole like inside 20 yards. 
Over 20 yards generally standard pitch 

inside 20 yards chipping , putting , flops   The possibilities are endless   The lie and the green shape /slope determines what I like if I chip, putt, flop etc   Sometimes there too many choices and I “flob” a short shot cause there too many going in the head and can’t decide 

Edited by Haro
  • Like 1

Years ago, Ken venturi would do tips each week. On his best ever segment, he addressed chipping.  He said you should chip with your wrists in casts, and he actually had casts on as he hit one beautiful chip after another. Great way to visualize using the big muscles for the short game. The only time I want wrists involved is when it has to get up quickly with spin. The rest of the time it's dead wrists and get the ball on the ground as soon as possible. Ever since, I get up and down more than pretty much anyone else I play with. 

• Like 2

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Move your weight to your front foot. 

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

6 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Years ago, Ken venturi would do tips each week. On his best ever segment, he addressed chipping.  He said you should chip with your wrists in casts, and he actually had casts on as he hit one beautiful chip after another. Great way to visualize using the big muscles for the short game. The only time I want wrists involved is when it has to get up quickly with spin. The rest of the time it's dead wrists and get the ball on the ground as soon as possible. Ever since, I get up and down more than pretty much anyone else I play with. 

If you watch the Team Taylormade videos on YouTube, Jason Day does this exact chipping method. Rory actually comments on how simple but effective it is to basically use a larger putting stroke for every single chip. Though Jason Day isn't currently a top 10 player, I think using his approach over a 'feel' approach is important for players who don't have oodles of feel.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver 110

3 Wood: Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver

2 Hybrid: Cobra Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0

4-6 Irons: 2021 P790 X-Stiff, KBS Tour FLT

7-PW Irons: 2021 P770 X-Stiff, KBS C-Taper 1* flat

Wedges: Mod 1 50* with Universal Down sole, Mod 1 56* with Narrow UP sole

My Putter: Hates Me (Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 4 Putter)

5.8 Handicapped Right Hander from Salt Lake City, Utah

A bad putt is better than a bad chip  (something i think about when I'm close to the green and have options for the shot)  usually is true.  

• Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybrids 3,5 

Apex 21 5-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

Best Advise I ever got for chipping was to picture striking a match. Shorter backswing and accelerate through it. You would never slow down when striking a match and you should never slow down on your downswing during a chip. 

• Like 1
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Follow the KISS principle: keep it simple stupid. Find a smooth, consistent motion that you can repeat and be confident with no matter what the conditions or club are. 

For me, that's been the putter stroke motion for bump and runs. 

• Haha 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

4 hours ago, MNUte said:

Follow the KISS principle: keep it simple stupid. Find a smooth, consistent motion that you can repeat and be confident with no matter what the conditions or club are. 

For me, that's been the putter stroke motion for bump and runs. 

image.png

Mine was getting the correct grind and bounce on my wedges for when I need to use them in the specific situations. Been a life saver, no more duffs. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:callaway-small: Hybrid: 4  Epic Flash +2*
:titelist-small: Irons:  5 - 48 T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*S, 58*K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

26 minutes ago, Nateyeight said:

Mine was getting the correct grind and bounce on my wedges for when I need to use them in the specific situations. Been a life saver, no more duffs. 

I feel like a lot of questions can be answered by saying, GET FIT haha