What do you want to talk to MGS staff about?

I'd like to see a comparison of a driver (or iron) fitting for 8-10 different golfers that span the handicap range from scratch to ~20 where they are fitted from the manufacturer's no-charge shaft options and then a "tour" level fitting like that offered at a Club Champion or True Spec where everything under the sun is on the table.  

Then do a comparison of the performance results, distance, dispersion, etc between the two fittings to see what kind of impact some of these $200 or $300 shafts make for various golfers of different skill levels.  Does a scratch golfer see a 5 yd improvement, 10 yds? or a significantly tighter dispersion?  What about a 10 hdcp or a 20? 

My hunch is that at some skill level or swing speed we're going to see that one of these "premium" fittings isn't worth it or that you might be paying $4-500 extra between higher fitting fees, build fees and shaft upgrades for 3 yards off the tee.  I think this would be a valuable topic for the "Buyer's Guide" section to help readers determine when they might need to consider a premium fitting compared to the type their local club pro might offer using the mfr fitting cart.

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 2

I'd also like to see an article where you publish/analyze the measured specs on irons/wedges/putters, etc vs. the manufacturer published values.  One of the supposed benefits of Club Champion or True Spec is that they build the clubs to the exact proper specs opposed to what the manufacturer sends out when they build them.  

I've always been skeptical that this service is really worth the premium prices they charge to "build" your clubs when the manufacturer will do it for free.  Obviously the manufacturer's have a tolerance due to manufacturing processes and building hundreds or thousands of clubs a week, but how loose are they?  Are my 1° flat clubs from Ping really going to come 2° upright if I let Ping build them?  What's the average difference?  How do each of the manufacturer's stack up against each other?  Is Taylormade better than Callaway, etc?  I see it as kind of like a "ball lab" for clubs but you don't need any fancy new equipment to do this.  A simple loft/lie machine and a club ruler should be good enough and I imagine you get enough demo/sample clubs coming through the office that this wouldn't be very costly.  

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

How about a YouTube video of Tony, Chris, Harry, and Adam playing a round together.  On course commentary provided by Miranda.  

• Like 3

Arccos Tracking

Bushnell Tour V4

Driver: 0811X+ Proto 10.5 Flat standard setting Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0

Fairway: 0341X Proto 3W Big+ Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70-S | 5W 0341X Proto Big+ Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70-S

Irons: 0311P GEN3 IRONS 2 flat Project X LZ 120G S 5-GW

Hybrid: 0317X 19 Proto Small+ Hzrdus Smoke Black 80-S

Weges: 54 and 58 Forged Wedges Project X LZ 

Putter: Battle Ready Mustang 33" Double Bend

Ball: Pro V1X

Discuss clubs that are not name brand. Mura, PRG I think they are called, Sub 70 for instance. I know there are some Japanese brands I know nothing about as well as clubs from around the world. 

• Like 1

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

Karsten Ping Zing putter

I’d like to see Chris , Tony , Harry and Miranda go to a fitting . Then have a second fitting with the same company but different location. Just to see if the fitting is the same. 
The company does not need to be named. 
The no putts given crew would need to not influence the second fitting . 

• Like 3

This would never happen with the big brands but I would love for the group to sit down with an OEM and go over the data they collected during their testing. The group could have a discussion about how they may have missed the mark or how they had to sacrifice in one area to improve another, etc. 

It would probably have to be a couple of generations back so they wouldn't trash their marketing campaign of current clubs. I recognize this is not very realistic too haha.

• Love 1

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

why aren't any Taylormade products ever tested?

why hasn't there been a test for any Mizuno products in the last 3 years?

why aren't any Callaway irons ever tested?

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

2 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

I might be able to shed some light on that one - the short answer is priorities. The longer answer is that the OEM's have decided to shift their priorities to other sites/forums, or to stop the marketing segment all together. Believe me when I say it's not for a lack of trying from our side! Rob used to hound the OEM's continually for test gear and some were 100% for it, and others were not or didn't understand the value prop. 

We'll continue to stay on TM, Mizuno, Callaway, and numerous others to ensure we bring you guys the best gear we can!

• Like 6

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

TESTING:  :titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

I might be able to shed some light on that one - the short answer is priorities. The longer answer is that the OEM's have decided to shift their priorities to other sites/forums, or to stop the marketing segment all together. Believe me when I say it's not for a lack of trying from our side! Rob used to hound the OEM's continually for test gear and some were 100% for it, and others were not or didn't understand the value prop. 

We'll continue to stay on TM, Mizuno, Callaway, and numerous others to ensure we bring you guys the best gear we can!

stop the marketing segment? huh? what kind of company stops marketing their products?

I've seen numerous tests on the "larger" forums of these OEMs so I def agree that they have decided to go where a larger audience is. Why? increased exposure? unhappiness with the review process here? 

for some reason I cannot figure out why there has never been a TM test. Not a putter, driver, ball, irons, etc. Like someone high up in the org forbade it.

all due respect - I'm interested in an answer from the staff and not a part time admin/mod. I know how hard Rob worked with the OEMs, I was once on the other side.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

stop the marketing segment? huh? what kind of company stops marketing their products?

I've seen numerous tests on the "larger" forums of these OEMs so I def agree that they have decided to go where a larger audience is. Why? increased exposure? unhappiness with the review process here? 

for some reason I cannot figure out why there has never been a TM test. Not a putter, driver, ball, irons, etc. Like someone high up in the org forbade it.

all due respect - I'm interested in an answer from the staff and not a part time admin/mod. I know how hard Rob worked with the OEMs, I was once on the other side.

Yes I would be curious if there was a specific test they didnt see value in here maybe?

Maybe TM (who clearly crushes marketing without sites like this) decided they have the media output specifically from their tour players. Granted you are paying them top dollar and are not getting thoughts from average joes.

Either way interesting question.

• Like 5

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Which other golf ball mfg approached the staff following the first ball testing?

I can't imagine just Callaway and MGS had a discussion to review results.

• Like 7
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

10 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

You ask and you shall receive the email went out tonight about SIM driver being tested

• Like 2
On 7/2/2021 at 11:56 AM, Chevelle said:

I’d like to see Chris , Tony , Harry and Miranda go to a fitting . Then have a second fitting with the same company but different location. Just to see if the fitting is the same. 
The company does not need to be named. 
The no putts given crew would need to not influence the second fitting . 

I like that but an interesting twist would be if MGS and TXG fit the same golfer and then got together to discuss the data and why they made the equipment suggestions they did.

Bringing 2 data centered equipment nerds together!

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

24 minutes ago, TBS said:

I like that but an interesting twist would be if MGS and TXG fit the same golfer and then got together to discuss the data and why they made the equipment suggestions they did.

Bringing 2 data centered equipment nerds together!

I believe Matt was a member here at one point right around the time @Golfspy_CG2 went up and did a fitting there. That was a few years ago

• Like 5
17 hours ago, tommc23 said:

You ask and you shall receive the email went out tonight about SIM driver being tested

haha... take a closer look. 

16 hours ago, tommc23 said:

I believe Matt was a member here at one point right around the time @Golfspy_CG2 went up and did a fitting there. That was a few years ago

yeah - there were some members that were 'not-so-kind' to him so he left pretty quickly....

• Like 4

18 hours ago, tommc23 said:

That was just a recruitment email trying to bring in new members by advertising the testing program…..kinda misleading since it used a photo of a SIM2 driver.

• Haha 2

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

49 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

haha... take a closer look. 

yeah - there were some members that were 'not-so-kind' to him so he left pretty quickly....

Yea I remember it got ugly just don’t remember it all

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you guys heard of or tested SF Jupiter shafts.  Seen an advertisement on Facebook and as with all these ads they have a bunch of testimonials, however I typically don’t buy unless I read your assessment. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Taylormade M2 6-PW

hybrids Taylormade 4 and 5

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

Olympics! Should there be changes to the next Olympics in terms of US players? Debate.....should the US send 2 professionals and 2 Amateurs? 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 MAX  15

Hybrid - TaylorMade SIM MAX 19

Irons - Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-PW 

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54D & 58M

Putter - Odyssey WH RX VLine

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this forum but I am a big fan of the testing and learning that goes on here about a sport I am obsessed about (like most here I am sure).  I have a question and maybe idea for a new test for MGS.

I am a big time nerd with all things launch monitors and the dynamics of a golf ball flying through the air.  Through much empirical evidence, I am less and less convinced at the accuracy of these big name launch monitors.  I am most concerned about how they impact the fitting for people, and to a lesser extent, the unreasonable numbers that people tout unaware that they are wrong in real life. 

To simply put it, Foresight launch monitors have a flight model that I think highly inflates carry (and total distance) for low spin, high launch conditions which just so happens to be a holy grail for many players to achieve with their drivers.  I think that when someone goes to get fit and bring their old driver, a difference of a few hundred RPM of back spin all else equal, will show a large and unrealistic amount of gain thus often convincing these people to buy a new driver.  This can be applied to fairway woods and irons as well but I think is a lesser issue the shorter the club.

I think Trackman and Flightscope also do not accurately estimate ball carry and total (although I know total is a guess based on a guess at roll distance).  They say they track the entire flight of the ball but I know that not to be true.  They track a large part of it though.

Then you have these cheap radars and camera based launch monitors (R10, Mevos, Skytrak).  They have poor algorithms in this regard too (although I find Flightscope stuff to be better than most).  

Is there any way for my dream to come true of MGS testing this in as controlled of conditions as possible with spotters or some clever way to see landing spot so we can get a good idea of how truly accurate these are?  I can help design the test and everything (Sort of my profession, I just don't have access to the things I need otherwise I would do it myself).

I would be happy to be found to be right or wrong I just want to test my hypothesis and have some closure for myself and also inform those that go to get fit.  Silver lining if major issues are discovered, perhaps these LM manufacturers will be forced to fix their algorithms.

Thanks and absolutely love what is done here, wish I could be a part of something like this profession wise!

• Like 2

Driver:  Callaway XR 16

3 Wood: In the market for a new one

Driving Iron/Hybrid: Titleist TS3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour

Wedges: Callaway PM Grind

Putter: My own design