TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golden Horseshoe Help

Ok gang, over the 4th of July, I will be playing Golden Horseshoe...what tips can you give me?  We are playing both courses.  Any local knowledge is appreciated.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

3 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Ok gang, over the 4th of July, I will be playing Golden Horseshoe...what tips can you give me?  We are playing both courses.  Any local knowledge is appreciated.  

What do you want to know?  I can try and help or if there is something specific I can reach out to Harry at headquarters; he is a member.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, ballplayer002003 said:

Both are excellent golf courses.  My wife and I go to Williamsburg at least every couple of years and we play both the Gold and Green courses (and usually a few other courses in the area).  I believe that they just renovated the Gold course in the last 2 years, and that one was always my favorite, but I haven't played it since the renovations due to COVID restrictions.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

We played both courses on the same day in late April. We found the conditioning on the Gold to be superior to the Green. The temperature then was in the low 90's and is forecast to be around that on the 4th.

You are looking at close to 9 hours in overbearing heat with humidity in the 80 - 90% range.

We were drinking 1-2 bottles of water \ gatorade per hole during the afternoon round, and were struggling to stay hydrated.

So my best advice is that whenever you have an opportunity to buy water \ gatorade, buy as much as you can carry.

Play The River course at Kingsmill, with 17 and 18 from the tips!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

53 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

Have to be a resort guest or a member to play the river course.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, jimmcman said:

We played both courses on the same day in late April. We found the conditioning on the Gold to be superior to the Green. The temperature then was in the low 90's and is forecast to be around that on the 4th.

You are looking at close to 9 hours in overbearing heat with humidity in the 80 - 90% range.

We were drinking 1-2 bottles of water \ gatorade per hole during the afternoon round, and were struggling to stay hydrated.

So my best advice is that whenever you have an opportunity to buy water \ gatorade, buy as much as you can carry.

I have played all 36 (both Gold and Green courses) in a single day a few times, but never in 90*+ heat, although a few days were close to 90* F.  I concur that, with the high humidity that the area usually suffers from, it can be rather taxing on the body and staying hydrated is difficult at times.

I'm glad to hear that the Gold Course is in great shape following the renovations/restoration.  My wife and I have been talking about going down and playing there this summer.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

14 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

The River course I believe will be under maintenance.  I think we looked into this when we booked and that was what we were told.  I hear it's a great course!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

12 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I have played all 36 (both Gold and Green courses) in a single day a few times, but never in 90*+ heat, although a few days were close to 90* F.  I concur that, with the high humidity that the area usually suffers from, it can be rather taxing on the body and staying hydrated is difficult at times.

I'm glad to hear that the Gold Course is in great shape following the renovations/restoration.  My wife and I have been talking about going down and playing there this summer.

I'm not too worried about the heat, we usually play Pinehurst in mid July every year, and if you have ever played down there, then you know heat.  Especially when you play Tobacco Road.  It's almost as if the devil himself will leave you alone there because it's too damn hot.  

That being said, I know there is a need to respect the heat and humidity.  We plan on staying overly hydrated with water, not alcohol/sodas.  

On 6/11/2021 at 1:32 PM, cnosil said:

What do you want to know?  I can try and help or if there is something specific I can reach out to Harry at headquarters; he is a member.  

I guess the main thing is, are there any holes that from the tee you want to play a certain shot, but once you get to your ball you realize you could have played a different one (say 5 iron off tee, but then get to ball and realize you could hit driver)?  Any holes play longer or shorter than actual distance?  Are there a lot of elevation changes?  We have a foursome playing, but if anyone wants to meet up, Harry included, I can give you the dates and times we are playing.  

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I guess the main thing is, are there any holes that from the tee you want to play a certain shot, but once you get to your ball you realize you could have played a different one (say 5 iron off tee, but then get to ball and realize you could hit driver)?  Any holes play longer or shorter than actual distance?  Are there a lot of elevation changes?  We have a foursome playing, but if anyone wants to meet up, Harry included, I can give you the dates and times we are playing.  

Yes there are elevation changes.   I don’t play the courses often enough to have that kind of detail but I’ll ask Harry if he has any tips to playing the courses.  

There are a few videos on YouTube with people recording the rounds. The second hole looks like it will be fun. I played the course over 20years ago and didn't remember much until I started watching whats out there on YouTube.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Harry asked me how far you hit your driver 

19 hours ago, jimmcman said:

Been in Williamsburg two summers in a row in July.  Heat was a factor, especially on the back 9 , even with an 8:30am tee time.  Hopefully they have a cart girl on the course.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Harry asked me how far you hit your driver 

290-310, distance with driver is not a problem.  I do draw the ball.  Don't know if that will help or hurt there.

21 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

290-310, distance with driver is not a problem.  I do draw the ball.  Don't know if that will help or hurt there.

Harry said he doesn’t play the green (to busy) too much so he doesn’t have notes.  Here are his notes on the gold based on your driver distance:

If it’s firm and fast which it should be he should hit iron off 1, maybe 5 if pins at front, 8,13

Hit driver on 2,4, maybe 5 to go for green, 6 you have to be really straight, 10,11,14,15,17,18 you can aim at bunk and draw around corner. 

3 plays a club short, 7 plays a club longer, 12 plays 10-15 yards less, 16 plays 10-15 yards less

hope this helps  

On 6/15/2021 at 9:51 AM, cnosil said:

Harry said he doesn’t play the green (to busy) too much so he doesn’t have notes.  Here are his notes on the gold based on your driver distance:

If it’s firm and fast which it should be he should hit iron off 1, maybe 5 if pins at front, 8,13

Hit driver on 2,4, maybe 5 to go for green, 6 you have to be really straight, 10,11,14,15,17,18 you can aim at bunk and draw around corner. 

3 plays a club short, 7 plays a club longer, 12 plays 10-15 yards less, 16 plays 10-15 yards less

hope this helps  

That's perfect!!!!  Tell Harry thanks for the Dingers of knowledge!  That's exactly what I was looking for.