TESTERS WANTED! ×

U.S. Open Championship

fixyurdivot

9 hours ago, revkev said:

He's not an overly popular guy - remember when we had the bru ha ha after the players picked Rory over him for player of the year a few years back.  

Watching his interview vs. virtually everyone else, Simpson, Speith, DeChambeau, etc., they are very engaging, quite candid, and, at least outwardly, enjoying the Q&A. Koepka OTOH seems like his knickers are damp and itching... just has an attitude that I don't like.  I also disagree with him that the pissing match is "good for the game". No Brooksy, it isn't.  Good for Twitter and FB feeds perhaps, but not the game.

Anyway, it all starts tomorrow and I'm always hoping U.S. Open layouts and conditions are, as Webb described it, "a test of survival" 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 hours ago, LICC said:

Here is an interesting article showing the different design approaches that could have been used on a few holes at Torrey:

https://thefriedegg.com/torrey-pines-south-course-changes/

Okay I will continue to play. In regards to a source this author, who is a brilliant marketer and writer, has on his golf resume caddying and teaching junior golf. I caddied and coach Middle School golf - even footing there in terms of expertise.

His critique of Riviera tends to forget that it was designed as a muni. That means it needs to be playable every day. Bringing chasms and cliffs into play won’t do for the type of play it receives, lost balls, beer swilling golfers by 60 foot drop offs - not a healthy scenario  and a great prescription for 51/2 hour rounds.

Perhaps the most interesting thing on the guys resume was his review of the Links course at Lawsonia.  I have played there and Whistling and Blackwood run and my own club here in Florida, a Tom Fazio course. 

Lawsonia is a nice course, great value.  Of those aforementioned courses I would rank it 6th. I’d go Black wolf championship, Straits, River, Meadow Valley, Irish, Bayou, Lawsonia. And number 6 doesn’t belong in the group.

So quite article after article with these experts. 

Im not necessarily a huge Torrey fanboy - I haven’t played or seen it live it so how can I know. I do know that it is a course that seems to have a love, meh relationship. It’s one that could easily be listed as a favorite by some your players and least favorite by others.

It also produced one of the greatest majors in history.  I’m glad it’s starting today - whatever equals enjoyment for you LICC - I hope you get it from watching - 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Excited for this to get started today! Not sure how much I'll be able to watch with a 9 hour time difference, but I will certainly try... or just get up ridiculously early. Although between the heat, refrigeration malfunctions at work I may end up just being up anyway. 
All to say lets go whoever is on my fantasy team, Xander and all the amateurs. Would love to see them put on a good show! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

10 minutes ago, revkev said:

Okay I will continue to play. In regards to a source this author, who is a brilliant marketer and writer, has on his golf resume caddying and teaching junior golf. I caddied and coach Middle School golf - even footing there in terms of expertise.

His critique of Riviera tends to forget that it was designed as a muni. That means it needs to be playable every day. Bringing chasms and cliffs into play won’t do for the type of play it receives, lost balls, beer swilling golfers by 60 foot drop offs - not a healthy scenario  and a great prescription for 51/2 hour rounds.

Perhaps the most interesting thing on the guys resume was his review of the Links course at Lawsonia.  I have played there and Whistling and Blackwood run and my own club here in Florida, a Tom Fazio course. 

Lawsonia is a nice course, great value.  Of those aforementioned courses I would rank it 6th. I’d go Black wolf championship, Straits, River, Meadow Valley, Irish, Bayou, Lawsonia. And number 6 doesn’t belong in the group.

So quite article after article with these experts. 

Im not necessarily a huge Torrey fanboy - I haven’t played or seen it live it so how can I know. I do know that it is a course that seems to have a love, meh relationship. It’s one that could easily be listed as a favorite by some your players and least favorite by others.

It also produced one of the greatest majors in history.  I’m glad it’s starting today - whatever equals enjoyment for you LICC - I hope you get it from watching - 

I don't think the writer's background detracts from the substance of this article. 

I don't agree about the muni aspect. The cliffs are still there regardless of whether the grass is cut as fairway or rough, and golfers are more likely to take time looking for balls in the rough than in the fairway or than if they know it went off the cliff. And even if you are correct and the holes can't be set up that way because of "beer swilling golfers", then that is a reason it is not a great course. (By the way, I don't agree with that characterization of muni golfers- I play muni's all the time, and most muni golfers especially the ones paying more to play the top courses, are doing their best to play both fun and respectfully.)

I haven't played the Wisconsin courses so I won't opine. Golf Magazine rates Lawsonia as the 87th best course in the country. It ranks Whistling Straits 49th. I don't think those other courses are in the top 100. Torrey Pines is not in the top 100 either. On the top 100 Public list, Straits is 11th, Lawsonia 23rd, Blackwood River 38th, Torry 72nd. That doesn't mean Lawsonia is better (I think Torrey is overrated), but it does show that some would be considering you to be underrating Lawsonia.

I'll enjoy watching regardless because I love golf and it is the US Open. But I am not nearly as interested as I usually am in most years when it is held at a more interesting golf course.

I doubt any of those raters have played my club nor the countless other private ones around the country.  Lawsonia, which is a very good course, had dropped off the ratings charts for years and years.  It's back for some reason, perhaps the attention it got from Johnson's article.  I would gladly play there again.  All one has to do is actually play it and Blackwolf (the championship course does not get rated because its an amalgamation of two nines but it is the original course) and Whistling to see that it is not in their league - its also not at their price point so it doesn't need to be.

We will both continue to hold our opinions on this matter so for me it's time to move on and enjoy the golf on TV as well as playing it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

No wonder I suck at fantasy golf.  This is the 2nd time that we are not using a tournament and I changed up a lot of players to have them count this week.

Where can I see what tourneys are being used and where was it posted that the PGA would not be used?

Forgive my stupidity!

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

On 6/14/2021 at 10:01 PM, PMookie said:

Anyone seen THIS story of a fight at a qualifier?! Wow. How embarrassing. 
https://firepitcollective.com/lets-get-ready-to-rumble/

Saw a blurb on the fracas this morning.  One golfer was arrested and I guess there’s some problem his father/caddy caused.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, gobama84 said:

No wonder I suck at fantasy golf.  This is the 2nd time that we are not using a tournament and I changed up a lot of players to have them count this week.

Where can I see what tourneys are being used and where was it posted that the PGA would not be used?

Forgive my stupidity!

If you're talking about our MGS Fantasy League on Fantrax, this week does count. There was a glitch with Fantrax earlier but it is sorted out now, at least for me. 

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg LINK.1 34"
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

Deleted since it didn't accept the quote.

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

Representin…..74F684E7-604E-4C62-96ED-EC8D8BE44FBD.jpeg.6b068b4d4f7eb4db05c538c42f7bdf29.jpeg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

Representin…..74F684E7-604E-4C62-96ED-EC8D8BE44FBD.jpeg.6b068b4d4f7eb4db05c538c42f7bdf29.jpeg

Did you travel specifically for the event?

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Did you travel specifically for the event?

I wish!

This is in Copley square in Boston and I an on my way to the train station to go home from work 

I got the mask super cheap over the holidays 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

image.gif.3c3c51c8e2d887648af70f02e7094a13.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

4 minutes ago, LICC said:

As Bryson said, interesting that I’m living rent free in your head ...

i wasn’t talking to you and i’ve asked you a few times now not to quote me. 

image.gif.fb175128bed34a86c50453b89b8f8a99.gif

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

19 minutes ago, LICC said:

If you don’t want me to quote you, stop referencing me.

…i didn’t. now please stop. 

After most of day one anyone have predictions on who will win? I'm guessing some of the guesses will come from who many members picked in the US Open contest. 

Personally I would love to see a new person take home a major. Someone like Cantlay, Xander, Rahm and Hatton are the ones that catch my eye on the leaderboard. Of course Brooks seems to find his normal major form which for my fantasy team is great to see, but I don't see him winning. Not sure why, just don't.

Spieth had himself a day, however this didn't really seem like a course that would really be tailored to him. Either way going to be fun to watch and see how day 2 shakes out and where the cutline is set. I'm thinking +3... for Hovlands sake I'm hoping +4! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

And now.... onto round 2.  Will there be as many surprises today as yesterday?  That leaderboard isn't even close to what I would have guessed.  A pretty healthy number of players having to finish R1 this morning adds more drama. Will Richard Bland hang into the weekend and be "the story" of this event?  Say what you will about Torrey Pines, but it looks to be giving the best in the world all they can handle.

I was surprised by some of  the scores. I expected more out of Rose, Spieth, and Simpson. Koepka seems to play his best in majors, and it was good to see Wolff show up and have a good round. What was it? 8 birdies? I'm glad to see Rahm have a good round after Memorial.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

15 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

I wish!

This is in Copley square in Boston and I an on my way to the train station to go home from work 

I got the mask super cheap over the holidays 

I thought that was Boston in the background - if you have to wear a mask, that’s a great one.

I’ve been fully vaccinated for a while but still wear them for church whenever I’m close to people in the service and at the hospital where Penny and I are today. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

56 minutes ago, revkev said:

I thought that was Boston in the background - if you have to wear a mask, that’s a great one.

I’ve been fully vaccinated for a while but still wear them for church whenever I’m close to people in the service and at the hospital where Penny and I are today. 

How's Penny doing?  Nothing serious, I hope.  Maybe time for an update?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

How's Penny doing?  Nothing serious, I hope.  Maybe time for an update?

I logged on for just that but over all, very well, Mr 74.  Thanks for asking - I will give an update In the 19th hole. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Bryson making a run in hopes to be paired with Brooks in the 3rd round…

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

My guess is that it won't hold up through Sunday but whoda thunkit? 

image.png.ab7904c607921368d8e5cbeeef4bd3c1.png

Even better 🙂

image.png.d0bb04fd0d7c395f55c5ec74f93cc8a4.png

Bland is certainly a surprise. Fun storyline for sure. For contest and fantasy purposes, I hope Grace makes a run today and carries it through the weekend.

The putt Bland just made to go -6 was nice!

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

I can't keep up 😆

image.png.290abdca785f5666bb90ba9b5e9999b1.png