TESTERS WANTED! ×

UV Arm Sleeves

mikeanthony

Has anyone tried the UV arm sleeves during a round? I've been on the fence on purchasing a pair and was curious if any of you bought a set and regretted it afterwards. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

I’ve used them on and off with mostly the Nike ones. Last year I started wearing ones from storyi golf and always wear them now. His company has blown up over the last year with several caddies on tour wearing them as some golfers on pga and korn ferry.

I like them because they keep the sweat off me, I don’t get hot in them and they do a good job at sun protection.

https://www.ourstoryi.com

Sparms is another brand that has good feedback and is probably the most popular brand on the lpga tour 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not too tight or annoying around the biceps?

And yeah, there’s definitely more caddies on Tour that are wearing the arm sleeves ... and it makes sense. 

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

image.png

I have two pair of Nike. Black and white. I used to wear them all the time when I lived up north. They are comfortable and work very well. I do have to pull them up after a few holes. They slip down an inch or two but I am lacking guns! I have more like alignment sticks for arms. 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

7 hours ago, bellken said:

If sized appropriately, arm sleeves will not be too tight or annoying around the biceps. I don't have any slipping problems with my arm sleeves, they stay in place.

Sized????  I think I have only seen a couple of brands that are sized;  most seem to be one size. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The Nike ones come in 3 sizes - 

• Bicep measurement size: S/M (10-12"); M/L (12-14"); L/XL (14-16")

I would probably stay away from the one sized options.

SParms has 6 different sizes - https://www.tennisexpress.com/SPARMS-Sun-Protection-Sleeves-Plain-Logo-89914?gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZaGBhBoEiwA8pfP_nKiMLvjtQ9ggODXVACHvjqz5w6B9QQKLJimXiXnIp2GDJmmBYlRphoChmsQAvD_BwE

Edited by bellken

I  have worn the FootJoy performance sleeves for years and am a big person; 6'2", 260lbs and they are a great fit.  Have had no issues with the fit or performance.  Have worn other brands and others too tight.  Wear them summer and in the cool mornings in the fall.  They come in white, black and grey.  Highly recommend them.   I have three pair and wear the white because they go with all my FJ apparel.  White repels the sun.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I’ve worn them for years- really like- sometimes have a problem with fit(skinny arms) if it’s too warm I sometimes spray water on them.

Jenh

I've worn long sleeve Hanes UPF 50 undershirts from Amazon under an Izod golf shirt.

I play if the temperature is up to 90 degrees, but not in the mid-90's or higher.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Mens-Long-Sleeve-T-Shirt/dp/B014C393V2?th=1

The feel cool to the touch and wick perspiration from the skin.

On 6/12/2021 at 4:35 AM, mikeanthony said:

Has anyone tried the UV arm sleeves during a round? I've been on the fence on purchasing a pair and was curious if any of you bought a set and regretted it afterwards. 

... I was given the Nike L/XL sleeves as a gift and they were a little too large and slipped down often. After a little research and trying them on, I picked up a couple pair of the Sparms L white sleeves that I rotate and I really like them. More sheer and lighter than the Nikes and no problem keeping them in place. Since we get bright sun with no clouds most of the time in Phoenix, I think sleeves are a necessity if you play more than once a week. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I have two pair of Nike..one white and one black...they get it with sizing. Have the medium.  Getting ready to start wearing them again.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have been using the arm sleeves for several years.  I live in AZ and the sun is very intense this time of year.  I don't like many of the sunscreens because they can make your hands slippery.  The sleeves are not hot and in fact some seem to be cooling.  Would definitely recommend if you do not like the sunscreen.  I am not sure how long the UV protection lasts so I replace every year and wash by hand. 

I don’t always wear them, but I have 2 pair that I got from Amazon, by ToughOutfitters. I kind of always thought they weren’t very practical, and would hamper my style, but someone let me borrow theirs during a cooler weather round one day, and I changed my mind on them, so I bought 2 pairs and really like them…they also seem to help minimize my tennis/golfers elbow from flaring up.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I’ve used different brands over the last few years and the best I’ve found is from a company called UVoider. The have lots of colors and the sizing is spot on.  Honestly I don’t go outside much without them anymore.  

Tobybtlr 

I have sleeves from both Nike and Pearl Izumi.  They are comfortable and work great.  I have worn them on 90 degree F days and I was still comfortable.  As others have mentioned, with skinny arms like mine, they have a tendency to slip down a bit.  I’m curious about ourstoryi sleeves and whether that stretchy, one-size fits all material would stay in place better.  May have to try them.

Putter: Taylormade: Spider Tour

Irons: Callaway Apex 19: 5-P

Wedges:  Taylormade Mill Grind 3,: 48, 54, 60

Hybrids:  Cobra Baffler:  3 & 4

Fairway:  Callaway Epic 3 wood set to 15 degrees

Driver:  Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero, 10.5 degrees

Yes! Keeps arms cooler and provides UV protection. Lots of good options available these days. Most recently have purchased STORYI - good goods. Super comfortable. 

Putter Scotty Cameron Kombi
Driver 10.5 deg Callaway Rogue ST MAX
3W 13 deg Callaway Rogue ST
5W 15 deg TaylorMade M4
H4 22 deg TaylorMade M2
Irons Callaway APEX Pro Forged 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 50, 56, 60

I asked the MGS forum about long sleeve shirts a few days ago and a number of responses recommended arm/sun sleeves.  There are a bunch of choices out there.

I ordered from two different companies and tried the first pair today — Columbia Freezer Zero.  They stayed up quite well (the top rolled down a little but nowhere near enough to interfere/annoy — never worried about them sliding down.

When waiting on the group ahead I could feel the heat of the day but not more than I would have with bare arms covered in sunscreen.  When walking or when there was a breeze my arms felt significantly cooler.

Three notes about the Columbia: (1) wide seam on inside of arm — did not leave a mark or become irritating but some might not like the look; (2) there is a definite bluish tinge to the white sleeves due to the cooling technology in the fabric; and (3) large Columbia logo on forearm of each sleeve.  None of these would stop me from buying again but I wasn’t fully aware of these until they arrived

I have a second pair on order from another company and intend to explore some other brands.

And, as if this reply isn’t long enough already, be sure you note whether the product is using UPF or SPF as its standard for UV protection.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I started using the SParms sleeves.  They are 50+ protection, plus when I sweat, they actually keep my arms cooler in this Houston heat and humidity.  Reminds me of farmers and ranchers I saw growing up - they wore long-sleeved shirts in the middle of summer for much the same reason.  

Agreed.  Good decision to use sun sleeves.  They are cooler.  I am in South Texas and the sun can be brutal.  I just bought the $12 Amazon ones and they are fine, provided you get the correct size.  First ones were too small and I gave them to my teenager.  Next set are great.  I have the Nike warm sleeves for when it is just cool enough on the first few holes and then pull them off as it warms.  Since i just had skin cancer taken off my head, I am much more serious about the protection now.

These posts have been great, thanks guys! Wouldn’t have known of SParms if not for MGS ... and will likely go with them. Going to try both their arm sleeve and their sleeves that connect across the shoulders. 

Not worried too much about the sleeves slipping down my arm ... but man, when I sweat, I get really sweaty and need them to hold and stay in place. 😂 

image.png

5 minutes ago, korsmot said:

Agreed.  Good decision to use sun sleeves.  They are cooler.  I am in South Texas and the sun can be brutal.  I just bought the $12 Amazon ones and they are fine, provided you get the correct size.  First ones were too small and I gave them to my teenager.  Next set are great.  I have the Nike warm sleeves for when it is just cool enough on the first few holes and then pull them off as it warms.  Since i just had skin cancer taken off my head, I am much more serious about the protection now.

I turned 40 in March and felt it was appropriate to start seeing a dermatologist on an annual basis.

Saw one then and got a baseline exam ... oddly enough, the two spots/moles I was most worried about we’re a non-issue. Yet this dark black freckle on my stomach was their biggest concern. They measured, took photos and I’m actually doing a 3-month follow-up on Tuesday with them to revisit that freckle. Grew up in Miami and was a sun worshiper, along with lots of youth sports outdoors year-round  

Think the sleeves will keep my wife happy.  

image.png

Footjoy ($30) stay up, Nike, UA do not! They slide down the arm. Both Footjoy white and grey are great!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Wearing UV Sleeves is a great idea bc the elephant in the room is Skin Cancer which is a Major Killer of Men... I've looking at wearing UV Shirts e.g. fishing shirts for protection. Check them out on Hook & Tackle and other fishing outlets... 

Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW, AW Men's Right Hand, Standard, Shaft: True Temper XP 95 Steel Regular Flex

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815, Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 565, Regular Flex 

Dexterity: right-handed

Live in Fresno, Ca 93270

Current handicap 33.5 and slowly going down... 

Ball: Titleist Velocity Orange & TaylorMade Distance 

Putters: Odyssey O-Works Red #7S Putter; Odyssey Whitehot XG #9; Nike BC 101 Heel-Toe Putter

• 1 month later...