Favorite Film now on Netflix!

chisag

... Just popped up on Netflix! Walter Hill made what I considered to be a masterpiece in 1984 that was supposed to be a Rock N Roll Fable Trilogy and Streets Of Fire was the first of the three. A visual and audio feast it is set in a time that seems to be a combination of the 1950's and the future with a mesmerizing Ry Cooder soundtrack. Killer cast with Diane Lane, Bill Paxton, Amy Madigan, Michael Pare and the first time I ever saw Willem Defoe who just blew me away. 

... The film is filled with one cliche on top of another delivered with gusto as if they were being uttered for the very first time. Just genius and soooooooo many critics completely missed the intentional dialogue. Panned almost universally other than a few that recognized the brilliance, I have probably watched it 15 times and it surprisingly still holds up. Very rare for an 80's film. As an aside Diane Lane really wanted the role of the lead rock n roller but Walter Hill saw her as the cute, sweet girl she had played so far in her career and refused to give her an audition. Diane showed up at Walter Hills house in character, never breaking into herself, gave him a hard time and left. Hill was impressed enough to give her the role. 

... Streets Of Fire will not be to everyone tastes but I have never seen another film that is in it's category and I think by the first 15 minutes you will either be completely enthralled or ready to turn it off. Sadly Hill never produced the other 2 parts of the trilogy after such negative reviews. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

I have always liked Streets of Fire .... watched it several times.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

I've always liked Streets of Fire too. Watched it several times on 123movie and absolutely loved it. I remember this movie was popular during the heyday of video parlors with kinescope TVs. Often with hoarse and hissing sound and a nasal translation. But I didn't watch it then I only saw fragments in the episodes of My Name is Harlequinot. Where the characters watch it on video. I watched it now in a much better quality than I could have seen then. I noticed that even then the clip aesthetics of the film language appeared. The plot is simple fast-paced not drawn out, the camerawork is excellent. There is an inaccuracy in the synopsis. The motorcyclist gang was called rockers. But in the film they are called bikers. Rockers are usually youngsters but bikers are older and tougher like here. Their leader is a nasty guy it's easy to imagine him in an SS uniform. Overall of course it's disposable and I don't particularly like rock music. But you can watch it.

Several of my favorite Netflix films lately have been foreign language offerings,

but I'll only watch the subtitled ones, never the dubbed ones.

Whether I can understand it or not, I want to hear the original performance, not some fly-by-night voice-over artist.

And if the film does get boring, not being able to understand the dialogue without reading the subtitles makes it easier to nod off and fall asleep.

I think that I'll check out chisag's suggestion, though.  If "sag" means what I guess it does, he's a good source for suggestions

The forum site is slow on weekends.

The people who still work for a living are all out playing.

Edited by BostonSal

• 2 weeks later...

I was just browsing through Netflix and stumbled upon The Dig staring Ralph Fiennes and Carey Mulligan. It’s based on the true story of the Sutton Hoo Anglo-Saxon burial site excavation in Suffolk, England during the lead up to WWII. I really enjoyed the movie. Worth a watch.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/HZRDUS Smoke Black

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G410 Crossover 4 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 Irons 5 - Gap w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54° W-Grind w/KBS HI-REV 2.0 105

Evnroll ER7 34”

Kirkland Signature V2.0 3 piece 

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+