TESTERS WANTED! ×

The elusive Fairway Wood Unicorn

Hoyoymac

A month or so ago I was sitting on the back porch of the clubhouse with some members of the Men’s Group sharing a post round libation and solving the world’s problems when the conversation turned to finding the elusive perfect fairway wood.

The conversation started with this question: Is there a more difficult club to find than a Fairway Wood that is accurate, long and straight off the tee and also easy to get in the air when hitting off of the deck?

The conversation was heated at times.  Opinions varied.  Generally though the participants agreed that if you looked into most golfer’s bags that the oldest club in the bag would either be a fairway wood, a hybrid or a putter.

Universally however there was a common refrain about “the one that got away.”  As in, “I had this club once and I should never have gotten rid of it.”  It seemed especially true of Fairway woods.

The consensus among the group was that the 7 wood is the easiest of the fairway woods to hit off of the deck but it just isn’t quite long enough. The 4 & 5 wood had their fans and most people felt they were easier to hit off the tee and off the deck than a 3 wood and just as long in most cases, but still not as easy to hit off the fairway than the 7 wood.  The 3 wood was almost universally scorned as hard to hit off of the deck.

For a little while now I’ve been playing with a Tour Edge EX 10 16.5 degree 4 wood and a Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood.  Both have the Fujikura Fuel Red 60g stiff shaft in them.  Over the last year I have gotten a little stronger and my swing speed has increased and the shaft in the 4 wood has started to feel a little soft and I’ve been fighting the hooks with it off the tee.  The 7 wood being a little shorter seems stiffer and doesn’t hook.

So once again I’ve embarked on the Fairway wood Unicorn hunt.

As a result of an epic clean out the garage episode, I traded in a bunch of old clubs recently and through the combination of trade-in bonus offers and some of the clubs being still in demand I found myself with quite a bit of store credit to use to underwrite the hunt.

First I got a great deal on a new old stock Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 degree 4 wood with a Project X Evenflow Blue 65 g 5.5 shaft.  Loved the way it looks, feels and sounds.  Unfortunately high hooks again.  Should have gotten a stiffer shaft.  Not returnable.  Damn!

Then I took a risk and picked up a Mint condition demo club, also at a great deal, a Taylormade Sim Ti 19 degree 5 wood with the Diamana Limited 75 gram stiff shaft.  Great early results, but not really a fan of the way it looks, feels and sounds. Launches low spin bombs off the tee and with the adjustable hosel allows lots of turn ability.  It is in the bag at the moment.

The next contender is a brand new Tour Edge EXS Pro 18 degree 5 wood with the Tensei Orange CK 75 gram Stiff shaft.  It doesn’t seem to be as long off the tee as the Taylormade and feels heavier and harder to load the shaft.  Just feels like more work to swing, but it doesn’t hook either.  Will give it another chance and it comes with a 90 day playability guarantee.

I picked up a Diamana Limited 75 gram stiff shaft off of Ebay for about $50, removed the Taylormade adapter, pulled the Fujikura Fuel Red shaft out of the EX 10 4 wood and created a golf club love child.  Hard to part with this trusty 4 wood even if it is beat up a bit and trying to give it a new life.  Testing has just begun.

Lastly, a new Tour Edge EXS Ti 22 degree 4 utility iron has joined the party.  Sporting a jaunty look and a super hot face, the ball jumps off of it and has already proven in a few short outings on the course to be a nifty rescue club.  But it is not as long as my 7 wood and just a bit longer than my 5 hybrid.  Going to keep it for windy days, dry and firm conditions and links style courses.  It will become my official 15th club in the bag, pinch hitting as needed.

The hunt has been joined!  

Stay tuned.

What Unicorn club are you looking for?

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Between the “right” fairway wood, like a 3/4/5/7, and a hybrid, they seem to be the toughest to find. For me, I come out of a fitting with one that works great, then when I get it, and take it to the course, all of a sudden it’s crap! Good luck!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My unicorns are my current 3w and hybrid.  I can hit both off the tee and off the deck.  The 3W is just so perfect for me it's not even funny.  I have never ever had as much confidence in a 3W as i do with my g410 lst.

Same can be said with my hybrid.  I have never had a hybrid that I feel like I can hit just about any shot with.  Bomber draw.  High fade.  Low cut.  Just supreme confidence.  

I think my answer for my unicorn club will ring true of many. I have a stock Fuji shafted Cobra F7 3/4 wood. I do have it in a 7 wood back in Canada too. Since the day I picked it up new it has been a go to club. I have used it for my best rounds ever and overall the club is just magic. I know there are several others out there with the same club and for many Cobra got this club perfect. Brought back the rails, great shape and some colors with a awesome feel. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have found that if a new fairway wood is giving me problems, I reach for the lead tape. More often than not, new fairway wood swing weights are too light for a lot of people. Yes, a higher lofted FW will always be more forgiving due to physics. However, being able to confidently hit bombs off the tee and the deck with a 3 or 4 wood can easily shave a stroke or two off a round. I personally think one of the hardest things to do in golf is hit a solid 3W off the deck with too light of a swing weight.

I know everyone is different but a while back my dad kept eschewing his new woods and was always going back to his old Taylormade System 2 (1990s club) 5 wood and I eventually figured out why. The swing weight of the old TM was way higher around D6 or D7. So in my search for a better 3 wood (mine was atrocious), I decided to stop and throw on some lead tape to get my existing 3 wood up to a D5 SW. It took more tape than I expected but on my first swing on the range after, it was amazing. It was the first time in years I felt confident to aggressively go after the ball. I could finally feel the shaft loading and felt confident that I would strike the ball solidly. Was the solution perfect? No. The whole club was a little too light and all the tape on the head made the shaft not behave perfectly but it miles better than it was before. I eventually got a new three wood last year with a heavier shaft and yes, I still had to put some extra lead tape on the head to get close to D5 but the club is an absolute joy to hit now. 

TL;DR - Experiment with some lead tape on the bottom of you club head to up the swing weight. If it doesn't work you can always remove it and say you tried. 

Thanks for the lead tape tip.  I will try it.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

I resemble this thread. 🙂

Ping G410 5 wood, 7 wood for me and I hit them both fine off the tee or turf. For that matter I have a 9 wood as well. 

I do have 3 wood in the bag but almost never hit it - did on Sunday because we were playing a 2 man scramble and I could set up a great lie in the rough. Still not sure that I hit it any farther than I would have hit 5 wood, though. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

After recently replacing my generic wedges the longest standing club in my bag is a Srixon F85 5 wood. It has been there for over 2 years with no chance of replacing until it cracks. I hit it as far as a 3 wood and it is stupid easy to hit from the fairway. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Gotta love the after round talk lol.

My unicorn is my 3 wood for sure. Had always swapped in and out woods that matched the driver and failed.

took a flyer last year on the sim 3W just because and like @jlukesstruck gold. Ridiculous how good this club is in the bag. I hit it out of the thick rough the other day and while I lost some Yards the thing cleared and flew like it always does. It’s staying! Good luck in the hunt

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

All Hail the Cobra 5-wood!  

Honestly though, before that I had a Ping G30 5-wood which I thought I might be buried with.  Turns out the Cobra is even better.  THere’s something to the bottom rails that make it so easy even out of light rough and it’s a bomber off the tee.  You owe it to yourself to try one out if still trying out different clubs in that slot of your bag.

For me the winning combination came with a heavy shaft.  I play a Ventus Blue 8S in mine.  I think the uncut weight is around 86 grams?  I was playing the Ping tour 80s in the G30.  Keeps me smooth with good spin off the tee and still enough to hit a playable shot into long par 5s.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The SIM2 3 wood with a Ventus Blue 7-X changed my life...That's all.  This club is the bomb diggity.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My SonarTec 3W is the longest tenured club in my bag, at approx. 11 years.  It was given to me by my brother-in-law, who said it was his favorite club ever, but he stepped in a hole that he didn't see and used this 3W to catch his fall...snapping the shaft in half.  So, all I had to do was put a new shaft in it.  There have been many times that I've thought about upgrading this club, but every time I go to test other 3Ws, they just don't perform as well.  Oh and my brother-in-law had put lead tape on the back, from the middle stretching to the heel, and I've just never removed it.  I've recently thought about going with a more weighted shaft as I feel this one is too light for me now, but I just don't want to mess anything up.

Good luck finding the right one for you!

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I had a TaylorMade M1 HL 3 wood with a stock shaft in my bag but struggled with it. About a year and a half ago PXG offered their Gen 1 fairway woods with a Project X EvenFlow Blue shaft for $95. The price was too good to pass up, so I purchased it. It is the best 3 wood I’ve ever owned. I have it set to 16 degrees and when I put a good swing on it, it just performs for me. The next best 3 wood I’ve ever had was the Taylor V Steel. When I was struggling with the M1, I wish I still had the V Steel. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

On 6/14/2021 at 6:44 AM, PMookie said:

Between the “right” fairway wood, like a 3/4/5/7, and a hybrid, they seem to be the toughest to find. For me, I come out of a fitting with one that works great, then when I get it, and take it to the course, all of a sudden it’s crap! Good luck!

That was not a "fitting"!  That was a demo!

I switched from to a 17 loft Callaway XR a few years ago and it won't go away.  A few months ago I found a Ping G5 7 wood with a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Stiff and it has knocked the 4 hybrid out of the bag.  If I could find a 9 wood, the other hybrid would probably go into retirement as well.

Callaway Driver, 4 and 7 fairways.  Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-LW.  A friend told me my swing is as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey.  If so, I often think it may have come out of the barrel to soon.

3 wood off the deck is by far the hardest shot, unless you like Tom Watson or some of the current ladies and  swing your driver off the fairway on par 5.  I still like my 2011 vintage Adams Speedline low profile (LP) with the wave tech speed slot on a blue Matrix Ozik reg flex.  The low profile and the fairly wide flat bottom works for me from fairway or good lie in the light ruff.  But a deep face club would give more confidence off a tee.  The Ozik shaft seems to fit my swing like a glove.

Having said that, I bot a used TM Burner Superfast 3.0 on Ozik M (mature) shaft, have not had oppty to use it yet except some range practice and the shaft again seems made for me.  And last week, Callaway Pre-Owned poked me in the ribs with a one day sale on unused 2017 Steelhead XRs, so I sprung for a 3 wood on the standard Tensei CK blue 55 gram lite flex.  I'll try to report back after my latest injury goes away.

As your experience shows, the shaft is the answer.  I don't think there is much difference between heads that have the same basic design goal of swing speed and launch angle/spin design.   

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I don't want to be that guy, but I've always been able to strike a fairway wood. Doesn't everyone utilize the practice range? 😇

I will admit to a love-hate relationship with my five wood. I'll punish it from time to time by benching it for a driving iron.

But when things are tight at the end of a good round / tournament round and I need to hit the fairway off the tee or I'm trying to hit a green from over 230, I'm pulling a fairway wood. 

My only mental thoughts are "sweep" and "smooth." I also recommend gripping "up" on fairway woods. Shortening the length of the club by even half an inch makes the club feel easier to hit. 

And like I said, I strike my fairway woods on the range two dozen times a week.  

Driver: Titleist TSi 2 - 10.5

Fairway: Titleist TSi 2 - 16.5

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX - 18.0

Irons: Srixon ZX5 - 4i-AW

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 - 52 & 58

Putter: Evnroll ER2B

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

My unicorn is a Cobra LTD 3 wood. That head has worked for me with more active tip section shafts (Aldila DVS, RIP Beta Gamma, GD YS Nano Reloaded) in the 70g range. It’s a BANGER.

My only issue with it is my best shots off the deck or off the tee are right on the heels of driver. Solved that problem by adding the LTD 5 wood at 19*, only to find that it also goes too far… so now I’m auditioning a Cleveland Halo 19* hybrid to slot between the 3w and my 22 4 hybrid!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

The SIM2 3 wood with a Ventus Blue 7-X changed my life...That's all.  This club is the bomb diggity.

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am in trouble if my SLDR TS “3 wood” ever goes down.  It’s the longest tenured club in my bag by a week… and it is my favorite club in my bag.  I should probably buy a backup.

Lots of Taylormades in this thread! hmmmmmmm......................

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

3 wood off the deck is by far the hardest shot, unless you like Tom Watson or some of the current ladies and  swing your driver off the fairway on par 5.  I still like my 2011 vintage Adams Speedline low profile (LP) with the wave tech speed slot on a blue Matrix Ozik reg flex.  The low profile and the fairly wide flat bottom works for me from fairway or good lie in the light ruff.  But a deep face club would give more confidence off a tee.  The Ozik shaft seems to fit my swing like a glove.

As your experience shows, the shaft is the answer.  I don't think there is much difference between heads that have the same basic design goal of swing speed and launch angle/spin design.   

I don't know if "3 wood off the deck is by far the hardest shot", but I find many golfers don't seem to adjust their swing for the different lie. When hitting it off a tee you generally want to be hitting 'up', whereas 'off the deck' means you need to hit down on the ball to avoid getting hung up in the turf, not much different than an iron shot. Many don't seem to be able to consistently make the adjustment.

It depends upon the setting, but I generally prefer a FW wood with rails and a taller face. Rails help keep it from digging in off the deck, while the taller face helps off the tee. 

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

I think they had and have lots of great woods. They offer a wide variety of options within them too which helps... what I'm more curious is if anyone has any Nike woods still kicking around. I had a 5 wood Nike Vapor Fly and ended up selling it, but it was always a good club!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think they had and have lots of great woods. They offer a wide variety of options within them too which helps... what I'm more curious is if anyone has any Nike woods still kicking around. I had a 5 wood Nike Vapor Fly and ended up selling it, but it was always a good club!

Definitely known for that aspect of their clubs. Funny because I really disliked the SIM driver (and SIM2) in fact pretty much all TM drivers. but the wood for me is a different story.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Love the topic. I have recently sold a 3 wood thinking I would "UPGRADE". Dumbest thing I did in a long time. I had the TM Burner 2.0 TP, stock regular shaft. Tried an M5 and hated it. M2 riding in the bag for now but is not much better. I went through a fitting for irons this past weekend and ended up trying to fill some gaps with a hybrid 25 degrees, and a 7 wood - all on the way. PXG - 0311 Gen 3 irons and the prototype hybrid and 7 wood. I liked both a lot, but we didn't make it to a 3 wood (hopefully still liking them when I play with them). I'm now very curious about the swing weights. Definitely going to investigate. Next to that old 3W my putter has been in the bag for a long time. Nike Method. 

TigerPill

Driver :   image.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max 10.5 Degrees

3 Wood/5 woodimage.png.d7958db6430c53d48ab1e890144fcee7.png  Rogue ST Max

19 Degree Hybrid:image.png.5d38f343d0caf1092558753dc83992bd.png G425 

5-LW:   image.png.ddef8ede1026d2294f93865dffbbdf18.png  ZX5, Recoil 760/F3, GW, SW, LW - Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putterimage.png.84b4d7270ae3f7c5fdd6efd713fa767d.png  Tri-Hot 5k Seven 

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Lots of Taylormade, yes, but the Taylormades in question are all descendants from Adams - they benefitted from ripping off Adam’s “Velocity Slot”. 🙂

There’s a lot of good clubs in the mix here, Adam’s, Exotics, Cobras, Taylormades, Callaways, you just gotta find the one that clicks.

I think one of the things people don’t think about with woods enough is lie angle and length. I have a tendency to “sole out” the club at address. If my hands are too high or too low, it can create a chain of events in my takeaway and then downswing that leads to inconsistent contact. I can hit a newer Ping wood (generally low lie angle) well, but only if I pick the heel up a tiny bit and get my hands a bit higher. Different manufacturers have different “standards” for length and lie and I think that explains a decent amount of why some people rave about a specific brand of fairway?

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

18 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

Thanks for the lead tape tip.  I will try it.

4" of 1/2" wide lead tape = + 1 SW point. Out of an abundance of caution, I wear nitrile gloves when handling lead tape.

Another way to adjust SW is to go with a lighter grip. Each 4 grams lighter = + 1 SW point. Product descriptions at grips4less.com list grip weights--a handy reference.

End of geek-out. Best of luck

:ping-small: G425 Max D 44" set to 13*

:ping-small: G430 SFT HL  5W set to 20.5*

:ping-small: G430 HL 5 Hybrid set to 27.5*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL HALO Full Face 9I 38*

:cleveland-small: CBX2 ZipCore Full Face 54*

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premiere 11S 34"

:ping-small: Hoofer Craz-E Lite

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Just sayin…

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

I had a TaylorMade M1 HL 3 wood with a stock shaft in my bag but struggled with it. About a year and a half ago PXG offered their Gen 1 fairway woods with a Project X EvenFlow Blue shaft for $95. The price was too good to pass up, so I purchased it. It is the best 3 wood I’ve ever owned. I have it set to 16 degrees and when I put a good swing on it, it just performs for me. The next best 3 wood I’ve ever had was the Taylor V Steel. When I was struggling with the M1, I wish I still had the V Steel. 

The V Steels must of been a great design because you are just one of many people that I hear talk fondly of those clubs. One thing I like to recommend to people is to go online and buy old clubs that you used to like. Clubs like the V Steel are usually pretty cheap (or at least used to be) and they can give you some solid insights on what worked for you in the past regarding club design. If you can find the same older club you had with the same shaft it's a great way to compare to newer stuff. Comparing things like club length, weight, face offset/progression, club head size, swing weight (heft), and shaft stiffness can really help give you some insights and understanding of what works for you. 

For me, my parents gave me a set of Master Grip fairway woods with graphite shafts probably around the turn of the millennium that I'm sure were dirt cheap from Master Grip's website or I should probably say catalog. They weren't modern technology as they were some form of composite head with a metal plate screwed on the bottom with a different colored face insert in the middle of the face. Old school looking. However, I could crank that five wood with supreme confidence all day every day. Looking back and measuring up those clubs what did they have that worked. First off, being a five wood they were a little shorter and the extra loft helped a little. Second, the swing weight was likely on the high side but I didn't have my SW scale last time I looked at them forever ago. Third, head was a little smaller than with modern woods. I don't think the smaller head meant much other than a potential mental effect. However, the shorter length and heavier feeling head definitely made a difference. Thinking back, even though there wasn't one iota of modern technology in those heads, distance was never a problem but I will say I never got along with the three wood in that set. For whatever reason, the three wood's face was very tall making it difficult to hit off the deck. Off the tee it was okay but to get it off the deck it had to be sitting on a clump of grass in the rough. 

I have a great three wood. I know it's great because every other month for 30 days it is superb off the deck. The intervening month, burn it, break the shaft, dent the nearest tree, smash it on the cart path BAD. But not looking for clubs anymore. Need to solve the puzzle with what I have. I guess I could go to the range, but dang it, to busy playing everyday and today it's like 111 out there so who wants to go to the range?

I love my heaven wood with a 5 wood shaft. Solves the distance problem. 

Don

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)