The elusive Fairway Wood Unicorn

Hoyoymac

1 hour ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

3 wood off the deck is by far the hardest shot, unless you like Tom Watson or some of the current ladies and  swing your driver off the fairway on par 5.  I still like my 2011 vintage Adams Speedline low profile (LP) with the wave tech speed slot on a blue Matrix Ozik reg flex.  The low profile and the fairly wide flat bottom works for me from fairway or good lie in the light ruff.  But a deep face club would give more confidence off a tee.  The Ozik shaft seems to fit my swing like a glove.

As your experience shows, the shaft is the answer.  I don't think there is much difference between heads that have the same basic design goal of swing speed and launch angle/spin design.   

I don't know if "3 wood off the deck is by far the hardest shot", but I find many golfers don't seem to adjust their swing for the different lie. When hitting it off a tee you generally want to be hitting 'up', whereas 'off the deck' means you need to hit down on the ball to avoid getting hung up in the turf, not much different than an iron shot. Many don't seem to be able to consistently make the adjustment.

It depends upon the setting, but I generally prefer a FW wood with rails and a taller face. Rails help keep it from digging in off the deck, while the taller face helps off the tee. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Lots of Taylormades in this thread! hmmmmmmm......................

I think they had and have lots of great woods. They offer a wide variety of options within them too which helps... what I'm more curious is if anyone has any Nike woods still kicking around. I had a 5 wood Nike Vapor Fly and ended up selling it, but it was always a good club!

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think they had and have lots of great woods. They offer a wide variety of options within them too which helps... what I'm more curious is if anyone has any Nike woods still kicking around. I had a 5 wood Nike Vapor Fly and ended up selling it, but it was always a good club!

Definitely known for that aspect of their clubs. Funny because I really disliked the SIM driver (and SIM2) in fact pretty much all TM drivers. but the wood for me is a different story.

• Like 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Love the topic. I have recently sold a 3 wood thinking I would "UPGRADE". Dumbest thing I did in a long time. I had the TM Burner 2.0 TP, stock regular shaft. Tried an M5 and hated it. M2 riding in the bag for now but is not much better. I went through a fitting for irons this past weekend and ended up trying to fill some gaps with a hybrid 25 degrees, and a 7 wood - all on the way. PXG - 0311 Gen 3 irons and the prototype hybrid and 7 wood. I liked both a lot, but we didn't make it to a 3 wood (hopefully still liking them when I play with them). I'm now very curious about the swing weights. Definitely going to investigate. Next to that old 3W my putter has been in the bag for a long time. Nike Method. 

• Like 1

TigerPill

Driver:Pxg Logos0811X+ 10.5 degree , Aldila NVS Orange NXT 55-R

3 Wood:File:Taylormade logo.png - Wikipedia M2, Standard Stock R shaft

7 Wood: Pxg Logos0341X , Aldila NVS Orange NXT 55-R

25 degree Hybrid:Pxg Logos0317X Prototype hybrid, Mitsubishi MMT 60 A

5-GW:Pxg LogosMitsubishi MMT 70 R

Putter: NIKE Basketball: Nike Swoosh to Appear on NBA Uniforms | TimeMethod Mallet

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Lots of Taylormade, yes, but the Taylormades in question are all descendants from Adams - they benefitted from ripping off Adam’s “Velocity Slot”. 🙂

There’s a lot of good clubs in the mix here, Adam’s, Exotics, Cobras, Taylormades, Callaways, you just gotta find the one that clicks.

I think one of the things people don’t think about with woods enough is lie angle and length. I have a tendency to “sole out” the club at address. If my hands are too high or too low, it can create a chain of events in my takeaway and then downswing that leads to inconsistent contact. I can hit a newer Ping wood (generally low lie angle) well, but only if I pick the heel up a tiny bit and get my hands a bit higher. Different manufacturers have different “standards” for length and lie and I think that explains a decent amount of why some people rave about a specific brand of fairway?

• Like 2

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

18 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

Thanks for the lead tape tip.  I will try it.

4" of 1/2" wide lead tape = + 1 SW point. Out of an abundance of caution, I wear nitrile gloves when handling lead tape.

Another way to adjust SW is to go with a lighter grip. Each 4 grams lighter = + 1 SW point. Product descriptions at grips4less.com list grip weights--a handy reference.

End of geek-out. Best of luck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Just sayin…

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

4 hours ago, MattWillGolf said:

I had a TaylorMade M1 HL 3 wood with a stock shaft in my bag but struggled with it. About a year and a half ago PXG offered their Gen 1 fairway woods with a Project X EvenFlow Blue shaft for $95. The price was too good to pass up, so I purchased it. It is the best 3 wood I’ve ever owned. I have it set to 16 degrees and when I put a good swing on it, it just performs for me. The next best 3 wood I’ve ever had was the Taylor V Steel. When I was struggling with the M1, I wish I still had the V Steel. 

The V Steels must of been a great design because you are just one of many people that I hear talk fondly of those clubs. One thing I like to recommend to people is to go online and buy old clubs that you used to like. Clubs like the V Steel are usually pretty cheap (or at least used to be) and they can give you some solid insights on what worked for you in the past regarding club design. If you can find the same older club you had with the same shaft it's a great way to compare to newer stuff. Comparing things like club length, weight, face offset/progression, club head size, swing weight (heft), and shaft stiffness can really help give you some insights and understanding of what works for you. 

For me, my parents gave me a set of Master Grip fairway woods with graphite shafts probably around the turn of the millennium that I'm sure were dirt cheap from Master Grip's website or I should probably say catalog. They weren't modern technology as they were some form of composite head with a metal plate screwed on the bottom with a different colored face insert in the middle of the face. Old school looking. However, I could crank that five wood with supreme confidence all day every day. Looking back and measuring up those clubs what did they have that worked. First off, being a five wood they were a little shorter and the extra loft helped a little. Second, the swing weight was likely on the high side but I didn't have my SW scale last time I looked at them forever ago. Third, head was a little smaller than with modern woods. I don't think the smaller head meant much other than a potential mental effect. However, the shorter length and heavier feeling head definitely made a difference. Thinking back, even though there wasn't one iota of modern technology in those heads, distance was never a problem but I will say I never got along with the three wood in that set. For whatever reason, the three wood's face was very tall making it difficult to hit off the deck. Off the tee it was okay but to get it off the deck it had to be sitting on a clump of grass in the rough. 

I have a great three wood. I know it's great because every other month for 30 days it is superb off the deck. The intervening month, burn it, break the shaft, dent the nearest tree, smash it on the cart path BAD. But not looking for clubs anymore. Need to solve the puzzle with what I have. I guess I could go to the range, but dang it, to busy playing everyday and today it's like 111 out there so who wants to go to the range?

I love my heaven wood with a 5 wood shaft. Solves the distance problem. 

Don

• Like 1

Cobra F6 Baffler. Shorter than your average 4-5 wood. A little smaller and heavier head. Rails are fantastic. This is the ultimate hitting off the deck fairway wood. Cobra has newer iterations with the tour models, but nothing is quite like the F6 Baffler. Wish they made it in a 7 wood as well. If you have not gotten along with fairway woods before, this is your ticket. I was well known for detesting fairway woods and carrying 2 or 3 hybrids until I found this gem. 

Titleist Blind Tester

• Driver: :ping-small: K15
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :callaway-small: Apex 20 AD DI 85s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

My now favorite 3 wood is my Callaway Fusion… The Velocity Slot were originally made by Wilson staff but Adams-stole it first then TaylorMade.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

Currently playing the TEE EXS Pro 3 and 5 woods. Extremely versatile woods from fairway and the tee. Compact and full of punch, best describes these woods.

Always been a decent fairway player with woods. Tour Edge woods just flat out perform. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in love with the M5 3 wood. It's so long that I shortened the shaft (playing at 42.5) and hotmelted the bejeezus out of it and now it feels like a 7 wood off of the deck.

TSi3 9* Tensei AV 65 X, M5 15 AD DI 7X, U500 3 iron AD DI 95X, 4-PW Mizuno MP18 MB DG X100 2* up, Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 56S, 60T DG S300 1* up, Cameron Special Select Newport 2 35"

My unicorn is a 2 wood. Not an original one, but an honest to god 2 wood… 300 cc, 12-13 degree… max COR.

• Like 2

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

I need a 3 wood that is good off the tee. I have an Epic Flash 3 wood, and I hit it pretty well off the ground, but I have trouble hitting it off the tee. I know that's the opposite problem that most have, but that is the issue I have with my 3 wood.

48 minutes ago, Bosox04 said:

I need a 3 wood that is good off the tee. I have an Epic Flash 3 wood, and I hit it pretty well off the ground, but I have trouble hitting it off the tee. I know that's the opposite problem that most have, but that is the issue I have with my 3 wood.

Just curious.  If you hit your 3W "pretty well off the ground" and have to hit your 3W as a tee shot, why use a tee when you have trouble hitting it off the tee?  You should have, or can create, a perfect lie on the tee box without a tee.

BTW, my wife has the same issue.  LPGA player Laura Davies never used a tee, even for her driver.  She created an indentation in the ground and placed the ball on the resulting slight upslope.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My unicorn is my super hybrid right now. My club I let get away way a TM aeroburner  5w. I felt I could swing that like an iron and get it to go 230-250 when ever. Definitely farther than the three would of that which I had. Never got along with the EF SZ 3w I had so sold it to get the super hybrid. I may go back to FWs but who knows. Great thread for discussion!

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Just curious.  If you hit your 3W "pretty well off the ground" and have to hit your 3W as a tee shot, why use a tee when you have trouble hitting it off the tee?  You should have, or can create, a perfect lie on the tee box without a tee.

BTW, my wife has the same issue.  LPGA player Laura Davies never used a tee, even for her driver.  She created an indentation in the ground and placed the ball on the resulting slight upslope.

I haven't had the nerve to try.

• Haha 1

If remember to stay behind the ball, my Callaway XR-16 3 wood and 5 wood are point, shoot and stay in the fairway,,,, rather than shoot and pray they stay in the same zip code..

Have tried every new PING, Callaway and TaylorMade release since 2016,,,,, not enough difference or improvement to warrant the extra pesos,,,,

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS