TESTERS WANTED! ×

Etiquette for training aids on putting green

Is it ok to use a putting mirror or robocup ball return on a putting green? What is the proper putting green etiquette in terms of hogging a hole? My local course is pretty busy so i've never used my mirror on the putting green just indoors at home.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

It's perfectly fine to use training aids on the green as long as your not a hindrance to most people. If you want to set something up I would have no issue with it as long as it's not in the middle of the green and you aren't hogging the only flat spot on the green. The only time it may not be appropriate is before a shotgun start when there are 30 people trying to putt. At the end of the day you just have to use common sense. If you really feel like you are in the way, then put the training aids away. However, if it's just you and one other person on the green, I don't think it would matter if you really hogged a hole or two. Heck, you could set up a tent and camp fire and I wouldn't care. 

One thing I used to do was keep a really small mirror in my bag. I think the mirror actually came from a make up case and could easily fit in my pocket. Just set the small mirror behind the ball and you'll be able to see enough of eyes to determine if your squarely over the ball. No reason to take the bigger putting mirror if you're just trying to get your head over the ball before the round starts. I also like to set up alignment sticks before I play if time allows to try and get a bearing for what lining up square feels like. 

The above post sums it up pretty well.   Remember, if you are going to be standing in the same spot while practicing you should put down a towel to prevent damaging the green. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The above post sums it up pretty well.   Remember, if you are going to be standing in the same spot while practicing you should put down a towel to prevent damaging the green. 

I've never heard or seen that, but it sounds like logical advise...thanks for sharing.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗
7 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

I've never heard or seen that, but it sounds like logical advise...thanks for sharing.

a lot of people aren't aware that they should do that.  People always ask the purpose of the towel when it appears in putting posts on instagram and twitter.  

https://golf.com/instruction/putting/practice-putting-green-etiquette-rules/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I often will go to the edge of the green and putt to a tee while using my mirror or the gate drill. That way, I am not hogging a hole. The extra benefit is that putting to that small of a target makes the hole seem big when I go back to putting at a hole.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

4 hours ago, jtgavigan said:

I often will go to the edge of the green and putt to a tee while using my mirror or the gate drill. That way, I am not hogging a hole. The extra benefit is that putting to that small of a target makes the hole seem big when I go back to putting at a hole.

That's what I do as well. Even without any training aids. I always putt to a tee. I can utilize slopes on the practice green as well this way.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I like to use my puttout on the practice green to setup on unique lies. This is even more true in the winter when my local course doesn't have cups placed. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:02 AM, jtgavigan said:

I often will go to the edge of the green

Best distance control drill I know is to putt to the collar. Cups are much more forgiving than trying to stop your putt exactly on the mow line!

8 hours ago, ColoradoFife said:

I like to use my puttout on the practice green

I like to set up mine for some mirror practice (so I only need one ball, ideally) and I usually get some looks, but I appreciate that I don't need to use a cup and play the whole game of "are you done putting to that one? Bc I'll putt to it if... Oh you're not done yet? Just moving to the other side? Ok then..."

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review