TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can't seem to stop my body from going up and flipping. Please help!

you left wrist broke down too early ( right took over too soon ). this will also cause the contact of the turf behind the golf ball.   A slightly bowing left wrist toward the target ( or straight left wrist as some prefer that way ) until you made the impact.

Be mindful of what the club head is doing, imagine there is an other golf ball 2 inches ahead of the target ball, this will not happen but imagine to catch both golf balls with the pass. You are not hitting at the ball but going through the ball.  

827247754_Screenshot2021-06-15083422.jpg.f5a2e5e19add681bde73565fe09c8754.jpg

Yes your right hand takes over but that is the effect not the cause. If you watch your body movement, it slows down through impact causing your hands to flip to catch up. Work on turning the body through the ball. This is a little post impact but you can see how closed your upper body is. Golftech has some stats on it but i think somewhere in the 30* open range is where you want your shoulders at impact. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

At the start of the downswing when the right hip goes toward target and the hands start down going away from the target you create the condition where the hands are so far behind the body that you’re forced to flip.

I’d recommend Athletic Motion Golf on YouTube as they have some great info and drills on this (ie. flipping, sliding, and how the arms work in the downswing).

There is so much wrong with your swing that it's hard to tell you where to start to improve. My advice would be to "Take a Lesson" and learn how to set up to the ball. How to hold the club with a stronger grip. Then learn to NOT move all around during the swing. Keep your head still, and do NOT stand up as you hit the ball and finish your swing. 

The club face is OPEN at impact and then opens MORE past the ball. Totally WRONG. My advice would be to watch Dustin Johnson and see how he stays in position way past impact and into his finish position. He maintains his body position to the end. He stays bent over, never stands up like you are doing. 

You are casting the club and releasing your wrist cock way too early. Try to hole your wrist angle much longer so your hands are "AHEAD" of the ball at impact, NOT behind it. 

Your grip it too weak, that is why the club face is open at impact. 

If you ever get to Denver and have a few hours to hit the range let me know and I'll give you a free lesson that will getting you straightened out and hitting the ball much better in one day. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

879299652_screenshoteasy(73).png.5c30748a5e22040572a1572349b7f0cf.pngYour casting the club at this point your have already released the club. 

Then all you can do is try to hit it with your hands. This would be a perfect position if the club was contacting the ball at this point.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash

Callaway Epic GGB Heaven wood

5 Hybid Callaway Rogue 

Callaway Rogue 5 – PW irons

Callaway Super Soft

It looked like your wrists cocked too early, and your hips weren't clearing. I think those would be 2 good places to get started from. Without breaking out detail after detail, it doesn'look like an awful swing.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

Post a swing from down the line. You will probably see some of of the causes that look to include restricted hip turn and lack of change in flex of the right leg. As was mentioned earlier your body is out of sync and you hands are way behind you and you cast and really have no choice but to compensate to get the club square

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just an amateur like yourself,  who started playing in 1985 and tried to learn the game myself by reading a lot of book, asking a lot of questions and watching videos.  Best advise I can offer you is to go see a pro and let them work with you for best results.  At 75 I go to one every now and then to refine my game.  It really does help to have a professional look at your game.  They are indeed the game changers.  With respect.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

1 hour ago, Nbar said:

879299652_screenshoteasy(73).png.5c30748a5e22040572a1572349b7f0cf.pngYour casting the club at this point your have already released the club. 

Then all you can do is try to hit it with your hands. This would be a perfect position if the club was contacting the ball at this point.

Looking at the hands is looking at the end result - not the cause.

The cause is your upper body not rotating open (lead shoulder), which could be further caused by too much weight out over your toes starting at address and continuing throughout the swing, leading to early extension.

The exact root cause is hard to tell in one face-on swing.  Get a few lessons and any competent instructor would be able to give a few things to work on in a heartbeat.

You are new to golf so I am going to do you a huge favour. Don’t listen to anything on here except this: 
See a pro for at least 6 lessons.  You move well, and there is no limit to how good you can get at this game, but it will take some instruction and lots of practice  

Some of the advice I have read in the replies to your post are dead wrong and will make your swing worse.  I know a few swing tips and drills that would help you but I’m not going to tell you them.  Even if the perfect fix is found in the replies here, the results don’t come right away, and the feel is usually very strange while developing new skills. You will be left not knowing A) whether you are incorporating the advice properly, and B) if that advice is even good to begin with.  This road will lead to nowhere. 

See a pro. You are athletic and with a pro you can develop your own move into the ball that will be long and accurate. They will provide the necessary feedback as you learn. 6 lessons in your first year and then probably one at the start of each season for the next three and you will be well on your way to a solid, repeatable golf swing. 

I'm in complete agreement with the 6 lesson comments. Most pros will do this for you. I'm not sure I would spread them out over a year. Maybe 6 weeks to three months with quick ten minute checkups to make sure bad habits aren't creeping in between lessons. You want a 1)grip and setup lesson, 2)short iron lesson, 3)mid and long iron, hybrid lesson, 4)wood lesson, 5}short game and putting lesson and most important 6) on course playing lesson for strategy and decorum. Or some mixture of the required parts. Don't expect to get better real fast but should see plenty of measurable progress. This kind of a package deal is usually cheaper for a new golfer because the pro wants to get you in the game with some knowledge so you continue to play, see them,and buy equipment at their shop. Don't hesitate either if it is done in a reasonably small group where sufficient personal attention is still available. The instructor should also teach how to diagnose and fix your common problems on your own.

If you watch videos and read golf magazines, you will find 5000 ways to hit any one particular shot and confusion will reign. An instructor is best.

Don

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Although, I agree an instructor is not magic. It may not always work, you can get conflicting advice. But, it's really your only choice. The good news is you have a lot of potential. It's hard to tell, but, it looks like something is wrong with the set up - too much weight towards the target with the upper body at address? Also, try HB Turbo irons and Cobra Big Tour 3 wood. you can always trade or sell them. They hold their value. 

Wow,  just read through some of the comments in this thread; definitely not what I expect from my years of reading MGS;  some are pretty caustic.

anyway, self teaching the golf swing is difficult especially if you don’t understand how the swing is supposed to work.  Overall you aren’t doing to bad,yo but you have some issues that should be fixed.  I am not a swing person so I won’t try to assist but if you want to really improve you should consider taking some lesson.   The flaws that are being discussed are the result of something that is happening earlier in the swing.  The body is an amazing thing and it will do everything possible to enable you to accomplish the goal of hitting the ball.   Welcome to the journey we are all on; which is how to play this game better.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 6/15/2021 at 2:25 AM, billy andersen said:

Hi everyone, I am a high handicapper (30+). Just started learning golf and have been watching youtube videos for proper golf swings. What do you think I need to improve on my swing? Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sV94jPmv1M

Wow, a 30 with that swing? You have a great basic swing, honestly! I’m not a Pro by any means, and I have no business evaluating a swing for sure, but the one thing I would point out is that your upper body is so far out in front of the ball at impact, you might be flipping just to get the club head  to catch-up. Coaching varies on exact location, but at impact, there should be a straight line up through the left breast, like where a shirt logo would be.

Honestly, you’re on the right track! There are a BUNCH of pros doing online lessons now via video, so I would take a look at lessons to move you along a set path. YouTube can be good here-and-there, but not all videos apply to your swing, your build, your ability, and your “problems”. Be wary…..

Good luck!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 6/15/2021 at 12:24 PM, glennkeyes said:

You are new to golf so I am going to do you a huge favour. Don’t listen to anything on here except this: 
See a pro for at least 6 lessons.

@billy andersen, +1 but not because our spies don't know there stuff and don't provide good advice, but because you are just starting out and it is really hard to establish good fundamentals over the internet... Innerwebs School of Golf, no Bueno 🙂.  Shop around for a well regarded instructor in your area and get a series of lessons.  

Welcome to the forum and tell us where you reside - good chance some fellow spies can suggest some instructors 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)