TESTERS WANTED! ×

Brand Stamps Visual Appeal

Just curious if it is only me... but do the company brand stamps on balls play a part in your decision to "game" it?  Which brand stamps feel "elite" and which turn you off from just the looks? 

Not meaning brand quality comparisons , just completely due to aesthetics?  

Back in the Balata days, I played the Rextar religiously (made in the early early days of Bridgestone golf), I could have played Titleist Balatas, but absolutely loved the "look" of the Rextars.  Felt better teeing them up, seeing the logo in the fairway (or the rough as the case may have been) and rolling them on the green.  Confidence booster.  But then I also had an affinity for Acushnet Club Specials.  By comparison, I could never enjoy looking down at a Slazenger...  great ball in the day, just couldn't stand the look.  Showing my age a little too much here.

Today's ball array is significantly more broad, lots of choices... I gravitate toward the Titleist "standard"  and have a similar good feeling looking down at Callaway.  Working on getting used to Snell. But have to say it is a challenge (no offense to Dean... awesome ball performance wise).

Probably just me 😕

~Tim

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Brand stamps play no difference if i play a ball or not.  Especially since I mark up my balls in a very unique, some might say, crazy way.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

Great topic, something I joke about with buddies on the course to be honest and one of the reasons I currently play a Titleist ball. For me, I stay away from Callaway strictly due to aesthetics. Whenever my buddies find a Callaway in the bush (regardless of model) they toss it over to me and yell "here's your favourite ball'!

I have tried the Chrome Soft balls and like the feel I just can't get used to the look. I also struggle to look at Vice and Kirkland from a more budget friendly option. 

If Titleist ever got way away from making the AVX, I would consider the ProV or TP5 (although the Callaway feels better for me). Both brands make a ball that suits my eye and I like the feel however I haven't found another ball that performs and feels for me like the AVX. 

Your Not Alone😆

:titelist-small: TSi4 10° w/ stiff Tensei White                         

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° w/ stiff Tensei White

:titelist-small: TSi2 19° w/ stiff Tensei White

:ping-small: I-Blade 4-PW +1" Blue Dot

:titelist-small: Vokey SM5 52°,56°,60°

:odyssey-small: O-Works Tank 7

:titelist-small: AVX

:Arccos:

Link

I have to agree that some logo's just don't appeal, aesthetically. 

I liked the story behind the Titleist logo and the style of the logo as I used to do some calligraphy when I was younger. It just has a nice flow to it..

I like how their balls play too 🙂

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

The brand on the ball never made a difference, not something I look at when I am putting or setting it on a tee.  It has always been the brand behind the ball, the R&D, the quality, the performance and the customer service.  That is why I play Titleist golf balls.  Specifically the Prov1.  With respect.  A Titleist loyalist, here.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I don't like to add alignment lines, etc. to my ProV1's, just a red circle around the number for identifying purposes. When putting, I use the alignment line the manufacturer puts on the ball. That said, the new ProV1 with the thinner lines is a bit more difficult for me to see with my 62 year old eyes. The last two generations (especially '17-'18 with the longer black arrows) were easier to see. As far as the Titleist script logo goes, I like it's clean, classic, unobtrusive style.

It's not about how well you're playing, but who you're playing with.

No, and I don’t really notice them on golf balls when playing. 

I do hate to look at some club designs/colors and shaft bands/labels. For example, I love the DG Tour Issue shaft band, but hate the standard DG shaft band. It seems cheap and lazy and I think DG could do better. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I've been gaming the TP5 Pix balls so no I have no issues with branding.  This ball just makes it faster to recognize my ball when near other balls and I don't line up my putt so it does not bother me at all.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

7 hours ago, crw said:

No, and I don’t really notice them on golf balls when playing. 

I do hate to look at some club designs/colors and shaft bands/labels. For example, I love the DG Tour Issue shaft band, but hate the standard DG shaft band. It seems cheap and lazy and I think DG could do better. 

I agree with the DG shaft band... I used to take mine off back in the day.  A little more difficult with graphite shaft graphics.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I would say that I select a ball based on Branding, but I would not game Truvis or the Rickie Fowler designed ball as I find them too busy.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

There are so many good balls that an aesthetic choice can make sense. For instance, I can’t perceive any performance difference between the ProV1 and the Srixon Z Star. If I found the look of one objectionable, I would play the other. As it is, I buy whichever I can get on sale. On the other hand, I am sure there is a Bridgestone ball I would like, but I don’t like the little B. It makes the ball look unbalanced. 

Back in the day, the lower compression Titleist balls had red numbers. Today, it is the opposite with the ProV1 models. I wish that was still the case. I like the red number on the X, but prefer the feel of the regular ProV. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 6/20/2021 at 5:27 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

...On the other hand, I am sure there is a Bridgestone ball I would like, but I don’t like the little B. It makes the ball look unbalanced. 

Funny, I actually like the solo B.  I like the simplicity of it.  Doesn't mean I'll play it because of the way the stamp is.  But still like it a lot

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

29 minutes ago, ForeRightAgain said:

Funny, I actually like the solo B.  I like the simplicity of it.  Doesn't mean I'll play it because of the way the stamp is.  But still like it a lot

Definitely got to see that solo B rolling on the U.S. Open coverage watching Bryson putt.  I don't care for the look when I'm playing it... (and I choose not to for reasons above), but I have to hand it to Bridgestone... you can tell what brand that ball is be the big black marking... good marketing.  Actually I'm disappointed I don't care for the looks more... as I mentioned... my first quality "purchase by the box" ball was the Rextar by Bridgestone.  I also had the Bridgestone Whopper driver... I miss those days.

217586690_2021-06-2213_53_46-rextarbalata-GoogleSearch.png.fe589265f8828cebf988f083e9f2c115.png

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just realized something about myself.  Not proud to admit it... but I'm drawn to balls with double digit numbers on them.  Combine that to throwing out balls for the way the logo's look... I may need to seek medical attention 😉

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...

I like my ball to be minimalist with things on it, even to mark it, I just put a green dot on the number. Too much of a logo or other printing I find distracting 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 1 month later...

Older thread, great topic.  I haven't played Titleist balls for 50 years because the Titleist script always looks crooked to me. Just can't set the ball down and make it straight. Even when I hide the logo by turning the ball to a white space on top, I "feel" the crookedness of the logo script on the bottom.  I also have wedges that my eyes just cannot square up--put that with a Titleist ball and it's a really bad day.

WIMB RH
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Mizuno MX-23 forged irons, 4-P, Dynalite Gold regular steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Fun topic!  I do struggle with the size of the "Snell" logo.  It seems as if it's everywhere on the ball.  I play Bridgestone "almost" exclusively, and I do like the solid "B".

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

21 minutes ago, DejaGolf said:

, I "feel" the crookedness of the logo script on the bottom. 

Haha, and I thought "I" had a problem.  Actually, I understand your comment about the script of Titleist, I used to feel that way, I guess I became used to it.

7 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

I do struggle with the size of the "Snell" logo.

I can't disagree with that.  If it were a more compact logo, I would feel better about it.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the Callaway script. Always have. Disliked it on the original Big Bertha and it has stayed with me. I think it has something to do with all of the knockoffs of Callaway drivers that came out with similar script. I have never used a Callaway product although I do use Odyssey putters.

2 hours ago, Murv said:

I hate the Callaway script. Always have. Disliked it on the original Big Bertha and it has stayed with me. I think it has something to do with all of the knockoffs of Callaway drivers that came out with similar script. I have never used a Callaway product although I do use Odyssey putters.

Trident comes to mind.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

count me in the visual category.  That said, for me, minimalist logos and designs, and minimalist alignment.  Bonus points for vendors that make an effort to align the alignment marks to the hemispherical seam on the ball ( Vice, Snell, Titleist ).  

That said, I absolutely LOATHE the Callaway's with the 3 lines on them, and though I tried to like the soccer balls from Callaway and TaylorMade both, I just find them distracting standing over the ball.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 3 weeks later...

There is always something comforting about looking down at the Titleist script.  My primary gamer for the past few seasons has been Snell and I would prefer it to be a little smaller and less bold on the ball, but that is just nitpicking.  I've always found the Callaway logo unappealing.   

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I think the Titleist script is a classic. I like that Bridgestone switched to just a big B on the ball instead of spelling out the company name. I'd like to see TM & Callaway switch as I feel both those names are also too long to be spelled out across the ball. Srixon is fine the way it is and it's what I play now. 

I don't like the truvis, but the pix doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, or as much as the truvis. I'm starting to play yellow balls now that premium offerings come in that color. Orange, pink, and the lime green don't bother me either, but I can't stand to look at the bright red balls, not wild about blue.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I think the Titleist script is a classic. I like that Bridgestone switched to just a big B on the ball instead of spelling out the company name. I'd like to see TM & Callaway switch as I feel both those names are also too long to be spelled out across the ball. Srixon is fine the way it is and it's what I play now. 

I don't like the truvis, but the pix doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, or as much as the truvis. I'm starting to play yellow balls now that premium offerings come in that color. Orange, pink, and the lime green don't bother me either, but I can't stand to look at the bright red balls, not wild about blue.

Agreed on the classic look of Titleist, I like Srixon's, Vice's and Bridgestone's a lot as well, Bridgestone may be my favorite logo. Callaway, Taylormade are just okay.

I actually really dislike Snell's although I love the ball- I wish they would redesign, shrink or just go to a single "S" logo like Bridgestone. I think Maxfli looks a bit dated and could use a refresh too. 

On 12/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, Londo said:

Agreed on the classic look of Titleist, I like Srixon's, Vice's and Bridgestone's a lot as well, Bridgestone may be my favorite logo. Callaway, Taylormade are just okay.

I actually really dislike Snell's although I love the ball- I wish they would redesign, shrink or just go to a single "S" logo like Bridgestone. I think Maxfli looks a bit dated and could use a refresh too. 

Completely agree.  Bridgestone took a big step forward with the B - I wonder if Taylormade would ever consider this with their "T" logo? 

As for Snell, they aren't great, but are undeniably improved from when the letters were blockier.  I wouldn't mind if Srixon thinned out the bold font like Snell.

Driver: Cobra LTDx @ 8* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo Tour Spec

3w: Taylormade SLDR TS 14* w/ Speeder 757

3hy: Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* w/ KBS Hybrid 

Irons (4-P): ZX5/ZX7 combo w/Modus 120

Wedge: Vokey SM8 50-08F, 54-10S, 58-08M w/ DG S200

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B-XS

None of the logo on the balls bothers me. I have also in the past played logo over run balls. The only balls that the markings really bother me for some reason is the Cally Truvis balls. The big Logos on the Snell and Cut balls do not bother me either. Right now I play Srixon basically any model because our course has a strong Srixon presence and I have won a plethera of them the last 2 years. Also have 2 dozen Vice balls with logos I got free. One guy gave me a brand new dozen with a company logo he got at a sales meeting because he can not stand logo balls I also have a dozen Vice balls with the SC Gamecocks logo given to me free because the same guy won them somewhere and he is a die hard Clemson fan. John Smalls will love that. Me it makes no difference because I do not have a dog in that fight. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I typically align the logo on the tee with my intended aim-point.  Probably just an OCD, everything neat and tidy, thing since after doing so, I don't even refocus on the logo.  I do find Callaway's Triple Track and Truvis, and the TM Pix a bit distracting but don't have any particular hang-ups about playing a ball simply based on the logo.  I do think Titleist has the most classic and clean look with Srixon taking a distant second place.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Some good suggestions above... wonder if the mfg. are listening? 😉  I like the idea of minimalist approach - more a symbol of the company than the full name.  That said.. Titleist is classic... as crooked as it is.  But for the other brands... Bridgestone moving to the "B", Wilson Staff using the shield.  I wouldn't mind Callaway using the Old English style "C" with the chevron.  I have been testing out the Maxfli tours recently, and I actually like the look of those... maybe because they are dated, like me :).  And I have have also found that I prefer the look of the red number than the black.  I'm seriously OCD. haha.  I am going to give Srixon a good full test (in looks and performance) starting the new year.  Watching the year in review on the Golf Channel... seeing that Srixon logo rolling across the Augusta Greens off Hideki's putter...  I'm not mad at it.  I have added the ZX series of woods to my bag, and really am impressed with their performance... but that is another story for another thread. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1