Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

While surfing another forum I came across this comment. Monte has has a video in his drive 4 dough video where he talks about hip speed and how it doesn’t correlate to distance. The lpga player hips move faster than a pga player.

BA887670-00AE-4F1C-BAEC-87DA8DC9DAA4.jpeg

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Interesting observation. I’m afraid to touch this given the current cultural climate - which stinks. 😞

I think another thing being ignored is that like their make counterparts top female players are in the best shape ever. Regardless of physical make up a 60 year old guy is not going to have the flexibility of a 20 something lpga player. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 6/16/2021 at 9:54 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

where he talks about hip speed and how it doesn’t correlate to distance

I'm not sure that's what the bit you posted says.  He mentions that women use their hips more actively than men because their upper body strength is generally less than men.  There are lots of factors in clubhead speed, and hip rotation is one of them.  What Monte seems to me to be saying is that increasing hip speed without good sequencing is unlikely to be productive.  Women professions can do it because they have really good sequencing, and they're utilizing the strongest part of their bodies.  And of course we understand these are all generalities.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I saw Laura Davies swing recently on TV.  She is in her late 50s or 60, is heavy, yet she swings her hips so fast I couldn't believe it.  But bodies are different.  Co-ordination is most important.  I have long arms and can reach decent distances without the fluid co-ord of better players.  Some men, some women, have more hip turn, some have less.  Lexi Thompson and Justin Thomas both go to or over their tiptoes on full swing but most golfers will be way out of balance if they try that.  ShenShen Fang and Inbee Park have pretty slow very methodical swings.  Not much hip turn.  Like Fred Couples.  You just have to find your own. 

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Monte has a section in his Drive 4 Dough video series that addresses this, he shows that the hip speed on the LPGA tour is faster than long drive and PGA players, yet their clubhead speed is much slower. As noted above, if you don't link things up properly, too fast hips OR too fast arms that don't match up with the rest of your swing won't give optimal results. 

EDIT: I went back and found it, my apologies, he didn't mention PGA pros in the graphics. He had taken measurements of his driver swing from a normal standing position then from his knees, that's what he put up against LPGA players and long drive pros. 

monte_speed.png.05973dcb2c48deffa12e2e068d02ba85.png

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm not sure that's what the bit you posted says.  He mentions that women use their hips more actively than men because their upper body strength is generally less than men.  There are lots of factors in clubhead speed, and hip rotation is one of them.  What Monte seems to me to be saying is that increasing hip speed without good sequencing is unlikely to be productive.  Women professions can do it because they have really good sequencing, and they're utilizing the strongest part of their bodies.  And of course we understand these are all generalities.

Two different topics actually. He was addressing in that reply about swings to copy and the cons of copying an lpga player for most amateurs because it will make their swings/results work.

What @russtopherb posted address the concept of hip speed doesn’t equate to swing speed/distance 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

46 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Two different topics actually. He was addressing in that reply about swings to copy and the cons of copying an lpga player for most amateurs because it will make their swings/results work.

What @russtopherb posted address the concept of hip speed doesn’t equate to swing speed/distance 

Semi related, I'm glad you posted this topic - it made me remember I had D4D and it's been eye opening based on my driver woes lately. I've bought so many videos I've lost track of what I have between downloads and what I can stream via subscription sites 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Not really addressing the particular video and hip speed conversation, BUT I have often believed that most Ams should look at LPGA for simply one reason, that it shows that technique is what matters.  If a 5 ft 1 inch female can hit is 275 on the regular, and shoot 68, it is not always about the muscle.  Most guys (myself included) get caught up in "muscling up, banging it out there, letting the shaft loose, letting the big dog eat, etc".  How many times have you heard "I got fast from the top, I am overswinging, that was all arms"?  Or "I tried to take something off and it just took off!" All sequencing and technique.

We talk about equipment and ball choice all the time, this driver and that driver.  Having great technique in the grand scheme of things is what changes your score or helps you strike the ball better.  Yes, being big and strong can be a help if you strike it in the center of the club face already.  But we all know plenty of muscle guys that can't break 100 or get it in the fairway on any regular basis.  But great technique requires dedication and purposeful practice.  That is alot more time consuming and not as fun for some people as going and whacking balls at the driving range to see how far they go.  Power is great.....if you can control it.  "lots of big hitters in the woods!" my dad says.

Cheers Tigger

The thing is, you are not likely to be able to produce the club head speed of John Rahm. You are also not likely to be able to produce the club head speed in the same manner that Lexi Thompson does. The goal may be to produce the club head speed of Lexi with your best Rahm like swing. 

Not seeing alot of guys on the range that can get in these positions, and even if they could I doubt it would help their game. 

image.png.a0095854625104d0967a22fb624e666e.png

image.png.86baf6008fbb0827ab9833b811a49116.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!