Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Share your experiences with singles or being a single at the course

For whatever reason it's not always easy to get out there at the same time as the guys I'd like to play with, so I usually go out as a single, which I don't mind.  I can usually go with the flow and either keep to myself or chat it up with whoever I'm playing with.  As far as playing from a set of tees, I usually just go with whatever might have been decided before I showed up to the first tee.  However, there have been times when the people I played with wanted to play the tips, which I would go along with, but most of the time these guys shouldn't be playing from that far back, so usually at the turn, I'll suggest moving up.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I play about 90% of my rounds as a single. No major issues. Sometimes, you get paired up with a couple who really doesn't want a 3rd wheel... or a bunch of friends who are deep into the hustle and really don't want an interloper. Which is fine. Then I usually tee off ahead of them on #2, and go on my merry way as they tend to play slower the larger the bets are... (and besides, they usually aren't that good anyway). On a trip (Europe for example) where 99% of my rounds are as a single, I've never had a problem. Most other golfers are very generous, especially if they don't speak English, or if I speak their native language. Some terms and golf-isms transcend language barriers! 

I had an issue once at Pasatiempo where a foursome wouldn't let me play through until we got to 18 (Was on them from #11 on). I was more upset because I had a plane to catch after the round. Otherwise it is what it is. Enjoy the walk!

Using a random assortment of generic stuff with last gen Golfsmith Snake Eyes forged irons. 

Most of my golf is played as a single, sometimes paired with someone else. When I'm out there on my own, it's peaceful and quiet. I do wish I had some more regular rounds with other people though. I try to drag family along, but it's not always easy to get schedules lined up. I also have a quarter set coming that'll make it easier to get one of my brothers out with me. I'm sure if I find a course to play regularly rather than jumping around from course to course each time out it'd be easier, but I have plenty of public courses around to try and only so much time to try them all.

3W: Top Flite
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Rossie
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

The rest of the bag is an old Acuity box set. It all goes around on a BagBoy Nitron push cart.

I play the majority of my golf as a single and walk. I don't have a problem playing with others, I just don't have a regular group since joining this club. Personally, I like playing by myself, I can concentrate better and enjoy the golf more. My overall golf has gotten better.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'm a young retiree and my wife doesn't play golf. I play on average 4 or 5 times a week of which 2 are as a single at my home club. I try to book a quiet time after the older members have played their daily roll up and before the early work finishers get to the course = 2-3pm. I like to get out behind a 3/4 ball with no one behind me, I will play the course with one ball but if I hit an errant shot play a 2nd. When I get to the green I will putt out. If I'm catching the group and they are going at an OK pace I will practise putt or chip on/around the green. If someone then appears behind me I will play normally which can put a bit of pressure on the group in front. I never ask to play thru but welcome being asked. 9 times out of 10 if there is space in front of the group they will offer me to play thru. As a single when the course is busy and pace is slow, I will tend to only play the front 9 and maybe go to the range but this is because I play all the time.

When playing in Europe when on vacation it is quite common to get paired with other people. I really don't mind who I play with high, low, medium handicappers, men woman, old or young. They always have a story to tell and normally find that the 4 degrees of separation  applies. I play off 6 and I feel sometime others can be intimidated by this but I try always to put them at ease and within a couple of holes we are all relaxed and will share a beer at the end.  

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I played Saturday with three older folks.  They were terrible!  Every shot was 50-100 feet, even their putts!

They were great folks and a pleasure to hang with.  We had a good time on the course 😉

Enjoy the game, enjoy the people you’re with even if they aren’t very lovable.  None of us have learned to walk on water yet.

Played with a single last night evening it was great we had a blast, that mostly how it goes when I am paired with someone .. I can’t ever remember playing with someone that was a jerk or anything like that

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I play mostly as a single but every once in a while my club has some outing and I play elsewhere. For the most part I haven't run into any jerks since I moved to TN about 15 years ago. But I ran into a few when I lived up north. One guy was so horrible to play with ( excessive cursing after every shot, lamming the clubs into theground or throwing his clubs further than he hit the ball, blaming the birds for being to loud). After 9 holes we told him to play ahead we had somebusiness calls to make. A hot dog later we got in behind the group behind us and enjoyed the rest of the round without him. Life is to short to deal with butt heads. 

Personally in 30 plus years of playing I only came across two that were unbearable.  So as mentioned my club has outings, this coming weekend is one of them. I go play as a single at a public course so I'll get paired up with someone. I'm also going to Myrtle Beach for a week and will go play as a single. I'm not worried most people that go there to play golf are golfers. 

If I'm the single in a group that is together I kind of go with the flow but at the same time stick to my game. If the young guns  want to play from the tips, I just say I don't have the length for that but I won't hold you up. I'll play up one set. If I'm playing with seniors and they play from the seniors tee I'll play with them. I'm old enough. The important thing is to be flexible, friendly, play within your limits and have fun. Most golfers are fun to be around and you can make some new golf buddies.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I found a local course that doesn't get the most play and I bought a membership for several years now. I can get out early on Sat & Sun mornings by myself and move around at my own pace. The pro knows me and works with me so I can play, like last weekend there was an all day outing and he let go out before. Most of my life I've played the majority of the time alone. I don't mind, just avoid the busy hours.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I used to play a lot as a single, my club wasn’t very busy during the week or after 1pm on the weekends, but I left that club a few years ago.

now I play with some of my buddies twice a month, I miss my rounds as a single when I could work on my game and enjoy the game.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm about 50% single. Have a regular gang I play with on a Friday but do play a mid-week evening round on my own as the course is very quiet and I can bimble around at my own pace, try a few things without the worry of holding anyone up. 

If it's really quiet I try and spend 5  minutes on each green having a putt from different places, trying random putts, as we have seriously undulating/fast greens it's good to have more than 1 option when standing over the ball. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

I play as a single a lot. I haven’t had any bad experiences. Every so often will get paired with someone who talks too much or brags about certain things but never seen anyone be disrespectful to the staff or the group.

I played a couple weeks ago with a guy that would announce he was on the tee so that there was silence amongst the group. He was a good golfer but don’t shatter any records that day. The guy I was riding with we just laughed when he would do it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have played as a single many times over the years. I have been below a 5 handicap for all of them. I have played with all kinds and really only remember a few truly bad experiences. The ONE that comes to mind was back in Memphis. I heard I was joining another single and we would go out as a twosome. Looking up and down the range, I was trying to figure out who. I see this one guy with his feet almost twice shoulder width apart, short backswing, Gary Player follow through (spins on front foot, back foot finishes ahead of front food with a little twirl). Hitting every shot 30 to 50 feet. I am thinking "just not HIM."

Yup, him. 1st hole, 420 yards from the back tees. He tries to come back there. I strongly encourage him to play the whites. He does. Takes him THIRTEEN shots to get to the green from about 350 yards. Never got better. He fortunately quit after 9. Only guy I have ever told them I didn't enjoy playing with them and told him to get some lessons and spend some time on the range to get competent before playing again. It would be better for him and everyone else. He was really THAT bad. I have been playing for 39 years and have played with all kinds. Never one like that. I bet he shot over 80 for 9.

99.9% of my rounds as a single have been great. I love meeting new people and hearing their stories.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

I play a decent amount as a single, usually after work for a quick 9 and I'll get paired up with another single who's doing the same thing I am 🙂 I always make a point to introduce myself, tell them I'm a double digit cap, I'm gonna hit some bad shots, and most importantly I'm out there to have fun and relax after a long day sitting at a desk. Never had a problem.

I've also been paired up with singles who were fine to play with. There was only one instance a few years back when a single joined us on the first tee at a course my friend and I hadn't played before, and he let us know he was a former member and could give us all the lines and tell us where to avoid. At around hole 3 we realized he probably had been asked not to renew his membership when he was cursing loudly at the group in front of us, asking if they had a bet to, let's say, have relations with the other's wife if they won, etc. And not in a joking way - we thought he was going to run up and hit someone with his club. He also took my driver out of my bag to try it without asking me, and around hole 15 flubbed a chip and started slamming his wedge into the green and taking divots out of it. My buddy and I just looked at each other and drove off to report him at the clubhouse. 

So whenever I'm out as a single, I just think to myself "don't be like that guy" and I'm all good. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I play a fair amount as a single and get paired up regularly. It's pretty rare to get paired up with someone who is disrespectful or has poor etiquette.

One interesting observation that I have is that of the hundreds of rounds I've played the last few years, I don't ever remember getting paired up with someone who didn't fix their ball marks on the green. I find this strange because I currently play at a public course and there are always a lot of people not fixing their ball marks. I wonder how many people I play with only fix their ball marks because I fix mine?

I'd actually say my wrist experiences getting paired up are as a twosome, getting put with another. Mostly this was hot deal tee times or a last minute booking on a Saturday morning. Getting paired with lots of non golfers. Or the starter forcing us to go together even though the course is kind of empty.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

having played the majority of my time as a solo golfer for about 15 years the primary thing I've learned is that people don't care what you shoot - from 120 to 65. 

just play your game and they'll play theirs.

took me a while to figure that one out, especially as a beginner; I was always worried about what they thought of ME and if I was making them have a bad time since I was that uninvited guest.

... a pet peeve that I've noticed more and more is that some courses that have you make your tee time online don't have an option for 1 golfer. Like we don't exist or something.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

5 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

... a pet peeve that I've noticed more and more is that some courses that have you make your tee time online don't have an option for 1 golfer. Like we don't exist or something.

I've had success with calling for a time in that case, but it's definitely annoying to have to deal with. I'll probably find a different course to play if I'm solo when the option doesn't exist unless it's a course I've not had the opportunity to play before.

3W: Top Flite
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Rossie
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

The rest of the bag is an old Acuity box set. It all goes around on a BagBoy Nitron push cart.

7 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

This is common. When I was in the golf business, none of the 3 courses would take a time for a single. If you were a single you could call and be put on a list and when you showed up it we would work you in. I get it is not as easy as making a time online however a course reserving a full time for a single isn't conductive to the business. I haven't had any issues since most everyone is online times now, just have to make a call. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 6/16/2021 at 10:52 AM, ColoradoFife said:

I picked up golf a few years ago as a hobby after the birth of my first child. Before I started playing, I was an avid fly angler and spent most of my free time on the water. However, after my children were born I had less time to spend a day in the mountains fishing Colorado's amazing clear waters. As a result, I decided to find an activity that still got me outside but didn't require a long drive and I can be home within a few hours. Thank you to the golf gods for showing me this amazing game. My first set of clubs were the Callaway Strata. I spent many hours at the range learning how to develop my swing through countless YouTube videos. After a year, I bought a iron set from an estate sale and bought a new driver, wedges and a putter. Within three years, I have been able to hit my irons straight and pure and drive the ball a good distance. My shortfall is my short game and course management. Because I never grew up playing golf and only picked up the game recently, I play a lot of rounds as a single. I know this was a long intro to my question, but I am curious about everyone's experience playing as a single or playing with a single. I am always conscious about not ruining my playing partners game. I try to be friendly without trying to be there new best friend, help look for lost balls, and keep up the pace of play (I am a relatively fast golfer that probably needs to slow down).

Recently, I played with a single and a group of two. From the start of the round, the single was a jerk to the golf shop employees by being upset about the increase in cost. During the round, he always seemed to try to show off but failed miserably. He decided to play from the tips when everyone else was playing one tee up. His drives were all over the place and always wanted to tee up another ball. He loved to offer unsolicited swing advice and get incredibly mad at his own poor club selection or bad swings.  

With that said, I wanted to check with the forum about their good and bad experiences as a single or playing with a single. This will help me become a better playing partners for all those groups of three that see the dreaded single walking up to the first tee.   

Welcome to the forum @ColoradoFife. We share similar hobbies and I spend about as much time wielding a 5 weight rod as I do a 5 iron.  As for single play, I do so quite a bit.  The courses nearest to me are not that busy as compared to large city areas and particularly during the shoulder seasons.  I would guess I play solo about 1/3 of my rounds both here in MT and in AZ (winter home)...and show up too them as a solo but get paired about half the time.  When I check in, I tell the pro shop or starter that I'm open to go solo or with a group so long as they have no issue with that.  There have been instances where a husband and wife, Dad & child, or a couple of friends simply want to play as their pair and the last thing I want is for a starter to push a single on them. 

But these have been the exception rather than the norm and most groups have no issue playing with a single... or two singles.  In fact, some of my most enjoyable rounds have been with random folks.  Last year in Yuma, for example, I played with a Dad and his quite new to the game teenage son who was celebrating his B-day.  The kid seemed really nervous and had a rough start but by the end of the round was having a great time.  His Dad told me thanks for all the encouragement and patience.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I play as a single more often than not. It's not that I don't have anyone to play with. My home club has a solid, active membership. Simply put, I grew up the product of severely drug and alcohol addicted parents. It's something I don't take to chance. Addiction crosses generations and I refuse to give it a chance to take hold on me. I won't even take certain medications. 

Golf and alcohol seem to go hand and hand with most people. Therefore, I avoid most people!

I've almost always played as a single. Growing up, I was one of the only kids at the course and most of the old guys just got angry that I was even there. It was easier to ball hunt back then too. Since we've moved to Pinehurst 6 months ago I just play at little ole Midland Country Club 9 holer by myself, since I don't have anyone to play with. The only people around here I know are CCNC members, and they have their own groups. Plus, I can't afford that place. I will say, I typically play better when paired up with people. I kind of focus more. I do use single golf to practice a little, or have conversations with myself about the struggles in my game.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I play most of my rounds as a single, or end up joining a group through my round. I find the worst part of being a single is being able to get on. Recently, with all of the Covid-related changes, the courses near me would not allow walk-ons. The problem was, their website didn't allow you to book as a single. I enjoy playing by myself, but have also met many really cool people along the way. One suggestion I have, especially if you play the same course alot, is to exchange numbers with guys you enjoy your round with. This will allow you all to check-in with each other about the potential of playing together again. I've never had a horrible experience as a single, there were a couple times there were people I was paired with, that I hope I never meet again, but that's it. Good luck moving forward!

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

Most of my rounds start as a single. On most courses I play though, I'm added to groups of less than 4 to make a foursome. I do, occasionally, still play alone if thecourse is open with no one else waiting. 

I play single because most of my golf friends still work and my golf is almost exclusively during the week and in the morning. I only play tournament golf on weekends and that is never alone.

As a single, I've had great groups and crap groups. There's usually a large gap between skill levels but I use these to help my concentration and work on shots I might not make in competition.