Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Raising a competitive golfer in today's environment

vandyland

This may just me shouting a clouds but I was watching the US Women's Open and noting a lot of younger women that qualified or tried to qualify which is great! However, in an interview with several of these girls/women, many noted that they went to some version of "online high school" (irrespective of COVID) to accommodate their practice schedule. Like, school was getting in the way of their range/course time. Some of these girls were 15 or younger! I would imagine this happens just as much if not more in the men's game (I think Andy Zhang is still the youngest male to qualify for the open at 14 years old and change). [Note: And also in all other sports with the sports academies, sports charter schools, and junior league hockey, etc]

Basically, the idea kinds of seems like a warped sense of parenting. Like yeah, these are success stories but it made me wonder how many kids are doing this and NOT qualifying for the US Open or NOT getting a college scholarship (if that is the goal) or just getting burned out before they even turn 18. Also, I have to laugh at the idea of getting a free college scholarship, is that because education is so important? If so, why are you pulling them out of a regular school environment to get there? I guess I just think a lot of these AJGA parents are psychos and I hope I don't ever become anything close to resembling them. Let your kid have fun but also be a kid. My unrequested two cents.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Gymnastics is particularly sad because the time horizon on that is so short. Add to that the repetitive stress injuries, no real opportunity for professional work unless you are Simone Biles or want to be a gymnastics coach. That and figure skating might be the two worst sports to go all in on.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 8 months later...

I am going to Canada from Pakistan with family. So, I am disturbed about the education of my children because I don't know about the  study in Canada for Pakistani students. Please give me some information about how to continue study in Canada. Your help would be appreciated.

Edited by tomroy19