TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does the Ping Anser 4 hold any special praise or honor in the putter world ?

Scotland blue

Today on the way home from playing 18 I picked up a Ping Anser 4 putter in very very good shape with a lousy grip on it that I will replace with the Ping Man grip.

It is the Karsten Mfg. Corp. with a Phoenix 85068 Zip  with black shaft band and I believe it is a steel head.  I will regrip it and give it a try out to see if it makes the bag.

Just wondering if this putter has legendary status ???

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I don't know if anyone did anything legendary with that putter but from a value perspective, the old Karsten/Ping Anser putters aren't worth a lot. If the putter is in good shape and works for you, that's great! I'm sure there were a number of historical putts made with that model of putter but I think there are so many out there that they never really hit collector status or at least not yet. 

If it says Scottsdale, not Phoenix, it is probably rare.   That is the main key, I believe.  No Phoenix models are rare.

If you type in to a searcher, what is a collectible Ping putter, you will see the info. 

Ping Anser experts .... question if this a rare ping answer putter??? - Equipment Opinions - GolfOpinions.com

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

For me absolutely! The best putter I ever owned !! I stopped playing 14 years ago when I had both knees replaced and sold all my clubs. Started again 6 years ago and miss that putter. I am happy you posted this because I will see if I can find one on one of those sights. I am thinking it has to be 50 years old ?

OldGuyGolf

I have an original Anser2, but they are not "valuable" as there are thousands out there. However, if a Ping putter is stamped California, not Arizona, before the company moved to Phoenix, it may have some value.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Thanks for your ansers !!!!

I was not really interested in the value $$$ of the putter but just wondering if that particular Anser 4 was suppose to be the Holy Grail of putting at one time.

OLD GUY GOLF  - - I understand your feelings about dropping the game due to the knee replacements many years ago.  I had both of mine replaced about 3 years ago and it's been a struggle to return to a decent swing and handicap.  If I should run across another Anser 4 putter I will pick it up for you and give you a PM/

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I just had a total knee replacement.  I am 66.  Titanium alloys line the surfaces and polyurethane carbonate spacer in between.  The rest of my leg is is good shape, I exercise.  Surgery was at Scripps Clinic in lovely San Diego, Torrey Pines, next to the golf course, window views.  I am very happy.  I will get the other knee done eventually, both of them were bone on bone in interior third of the knee joint.  Most other people I talk to are also happy with results.

And there is no Holy Grail of putting.  Even the best pros use different putters, styles, grips.  I switched 6 years ago, after reading about spieth.  I putt cross handed.  The left hand is below the grip.  Index finger on the shaft.  I look at the hole and the path, not the ball, on long putts.  On shorter putts, If I can see the hole out of the corner of my eye, I do look at the ball.  I use a face balanced putter.  Learn what that means, how to tell, it is easy.  It takes a lot of practice to convert to cross handed and to not looking at the ball.  I sometimes stub the putter on the ground before hitting the ball.  Have to practice.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 6/18/2021 at 9:40 AM, jborchel said:

I bought one at an estate sale a few years ago for $1. Hope you didn't pay too much more than that for it. When I used it it worked well though. Still in my garage.

I guess I got screwed big time........I paid $9.99

Titleist Pro V-1x 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Scotland blue appreciated. Thank the golf gods for titanium knees ! Keep working it comes back and I am 72 and have shot my age or better a few times. I play the senior tees and love my golf again and down to 4.3 ! 

I was told Red tees are Super Senior after age 70 so I have a backup plan.

I bought a Ping Cushion with a C not the K. $25 on ebay and it is in great shape. I clean the shaft regularly with WD40. Best putter I have ever used.

OldGuyGolf

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely the father of all great putters. I am 74 and have an original Cushin circa 1972 with a new Winn pistol grip and I go  back and forth with that and my Odyssey mallet.

OldGuyGolf