Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3 wood

Hey guys. I have about 300$ in gift cards for the sports check. I ve been using a taylormade 3wood for about 10 years now and think it's time to upgrade. I use my 3 a lot because it typically gives me a nice fade, where my driver is a super bad slice. My driver is also a hot 15 years old, I plan on getting fitted for a new driver next time I go to a big city, I feel the new technology will help me a bit (looking at calaway). 

Anyway, I was debating using my money to buy a new three wood but won't be able to get fitted for it. Would that just be a waste of money? Or is there a way I can sort of fir myself? I've had this money for about a year and don't know what to spend it on. Thx. 

It can be hit or miss trying to base your old specs off something brand new especially since technology has changed a good bit over the last 10 years. If you are a bran loyalist it can make your decision a little easier

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

31 minutes ago, Kingofturtles said:

Hey guys. I have about 300$ in gift cards for the sports check. I ve been using a taylormade 3wood for about 10 years now and think it's time to upgrade. I use my 3 a lot because it typically gives me a nice fade, where my driver is a super bad slice. My driver is also a hot 15 years old, I plan on getting fitted for a new driver next time I go to a big city, I feel the new technology will help me a bit (looking at calaway). 

Anyway, I was debating using my money to buy a new three wood but won't be able to get fitted for it. Would that just be a waste of money? Or is there a way I can sort of fir myself? I've had this money for about a year and don't know what to spend it on. Thx. 

First, why do you want to change it?   Just because your 3W is 10 years old doesn't mean that it's time to change it.  If you use it a lot and it works well for you for what you want it to do, you might want to put the money toward a lesson to find out why your driver "is a super bad slice".  Maybe it doesn't fit your swing, and being 15 years old, technology has changed a lot more in drivers than any other club in the bag.

If you want to test out 3W, be sure to bring your gamer to compare data.  Don't limit your choice to brands you have had in the past, they are all different and will feel different when you swing them.  Find the best one that gives the best results.  Have fun shopping!!

Just FYI, I'm still playing my TaylorMade RBZ 3HL fairway wood because I hit it as well as any of the newer 3/4 woods.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the reply. I do hit my three wood well, I just figured with the new forgiving face technology I could hit a new one even better( my current one also has no grooves left on it, although I don't remember if it ever really did). It's just hard because I can't test before I buy here as it's not available. Really, I just wanna spend my 300$. I've had it for so long. Maybe I'll just buy some shirts or something lol. 

3 wood is the one club were i've heard so many people say, "I wish I had my old club back." Not saying that will be the case for you. But the 3 wood is so personal. It's really hard to get right. I'd stick with a good one and use the money on wedges, balls, shirts, etc. But thats just me. 

If you were going to fit yourself, I'd take note of what you like about your 3 wood. The loft and the shaft flex/weight/profile. Face height. Is it mostly used off the tee or off the deck? Assuming the store has a launch monitor, get on there with a few different options and see what you are able to keep on line the best. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!