Jump to content

Pinehurst


Paul Hedrick
 Share

Recommended Posts

Getting excited. In 82 days we leave for our 'golf buddies' trip to Pinehurst, NC. This year we are playing Talamore Golf Club, Longleaf Golf & Country Club, Hyland Golf Club, and Tobacco Road. I am sure we will play Pinehurst 3 or 4 as well.

  • Like 3
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 3 & GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter     Seemore3.jpg.f4ef99613c6f9407a7e1a0a6ce56bf3e.jpg      Seemore Si1
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a great time.  If you haven't already and if there's room on the itinerary, play mid-pines and/or pine needles. We were just there and it was our favorite track between pinehurst 2 4 8, and tobacco rd included. 

  • Like 2

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome.  Have a great time.  Am joining 99 other TT loyalists on September 12 for three days at Pinehurst.  Playing #4 on Monday, #2 and the Cradle on Tuesday and #8 on Wednesday.  Looking forward to making old acquaintances and making new friends.  Will be driving up on Sunday afternoon for check in, greet, meet, putting and social event.  Always a blast at these events and meeting folks from all over the world.  See those that are on here soon.  CZ  

  • Like 3

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Longleaf is vastly improved since US Kids took it over.  Unfortunately, they did away with their old bar during the renovation (it was a classic).  Played there earlier this year and it was in great shape.

if you haven’t played Tobacco Road curious what you think about it.  Target golf at its best.  
 

We are playing Talamore, Mid-South, Pine Needles and Mid Pines in August. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mid South is owned by Talamore and across the street from Longleaf. See if you can play there too! Lunch at Duggans Pub in Pinehirst and maybe dinner at a Steak house in Southern Pines ( can't remmber the name)...

  • Like 3

Titleist TS1 10.5

Tour Edge CB 5 5 wood

PXG 19 degree hybrid

PXG 24 degree hybrid

Titleist 716 AP 1 5-G

Titleist 52 degree wedge

Titleist 56 degree wedge

Seemore 34” Del Mar Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Awesome.  Have a great time.  Am joining 99 other TT loyalists on September 12 for three days at Pinehurst.  Playing #4 on Monday, #2 and the Cradle on Tuesday and #8 on Wednesday.  Looking forward to making old acquaintances and making new friends.  Will be driving up on Sunday afternoon for check in, greet, meet, putting and social event.  Always a blast at these events and meeting folks from all over the world.  See those that are on here soon.  CZ  

I played in a Clubcorp event a handful of years ago at Pinehurst. It was prior to the #4 renovation, but 4 was supposed to be in the rotation and was taken off, as it took some damage earlier in the that summer. We played #2, #6, #8 for the tournament and snuck in additional rounds on #2, #5, and #9. 36 a day in the Carolina heat was a workout, but so fun. I would do it again in a second. I didn't jump into the TT event due to timing, but have a great time. Breakfast in the Carolina lodge is a delicious experience. Service was top notch as well. Enjoy!

  • Like 1

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live 30 miles north of there.  While you are in the area, I echo the Mid Pines recommendation.  One of my favorite tracks.  Also need to consider Pinehurst #9.  It used to be called "Pinehurst National" and then "The National" before the resort bought it.  It's the only Nicklaus layout in Pinehurst area and it's a great track.  I would play 9 over 3, but not over 4...but its close.

 

Talamore is awesome, especially since the rebuild (no more llama drama though).  Tobacco Road is visually impressive.  YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE YARDAGE BOOK.  DO NOT TRUST YOUR EYES!

 

While you are down this way, get some real NC BBQ (the vinegar style, not that ketchup or mustard stuff) and the best cure for a hangover in the area:  Bojangles Cajun Filet Biscuit Combo with Sweet Tea (if you need that kind of thing).

 

Welcome to NC, sir!  Enjoy your stay in the land of the longleaf pine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Fore O said:

Mid South is owned by Talamore and across the street from Longleaf. See if you can play there too! Lunch at Duggans Pub in Pinehirst and maybe dinner at a Steak house in Southern Pines ( can't remmber the name)...

I like Beefeaters in Southern Pines, never tried the (much) newer Southern Prime, along with Chef Warren's and Chapman's.  Ironwood, a mile or so east of the traffic circle, Pinehurst Brewing, Maxie's for a sports bar, lots of good dining options.

12 minutes ago, PedroCerrano said:

Talamore is awesome, especially since the rebuild (no more llama drama though).

Talamore has two new llamas, a mother and child, in the llama pen between 13 and 14.  There's talk that they might get trained to bring back the llama-caddie option.

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, Raj LP said:

Have a great time.  If you haven't already and if there's room on the itinerary, play mid-pines and/or pine needles. We were just there and it was our favorite track between pinehurst 2 4 8, and tobacco rd included. 

Yeah, mid-pines is great for sure.  We played there last year on our trip.

  • Like 2
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 3 & GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter     Seemore3.jpg.f4ef99613c6f9407a7e1a0a6ce56bf3e.jpg      Seemore Si1
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, Raj LP said:

Have a great time.  If you haven't already and if there's room on the itinerary, play mid-pines and/or pine needles. We were just there and it was our favorite track between pinehurst 2 4 8, and tobacco rd included. 

I love Mid Pines.  The last three holes are great finishing holes. 

   Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

     Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

                         9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

    Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, h2ohzrd said:

Longleaf is vastly improved since US Kids took it over.  Unfortunately, they did away with their old bar during the renovation (it was a classic).  Played there earlier this year and it was in great shape.

if you haven’t played Tobacco Road curious what you think about it.  Target golf at its best.  
 

We are playing Talamore, Mid-South, Pine Needles and Mid Pines in August. 

I have gone down there every year for the past 20 years and I can tell you, you picked a GREAT lineup!  If you want the best course down there play Pinehurst #7.  You will need every single club in your bag!!!! 

   Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

     Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

                         9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

    Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, h2ohzrd said:

if you haven’t played Tobacco Road curious what you think about it.  Target golf at its best.  

I love Tobacco Road as well but curious about the "target golf" description? It had some of the widest fairways I have played in a long time. The main target aspect is the par 3s as Strantz loves those shallow par 3s with bunkers short and long. But I found most of the fairways on the par 4s and 5s to be very expansive and forgiving. I won't say it is "easy" but I found it much more scoreable than Pinehurst #8 and #9 (I was about 10 shots better on TR than Pinehurst #8) even on the first time playing through. 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:52 AM, PedroCerrano said:

Talamore is awesome, especially since the rebuild (no more llama drama though).  Tobacco Road is visually impressive.  YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE YARDAGE BOOK.  DO NOT TRUST YOUR EYES!

Or, if you don't want to buy the yardage book you can take notes using Google Earth. It is very accurate and helped us immensely. Especially on holes like #9 and #16 where you can't see exactly where you are trying to land. Playing it for the first time is one of those true surprises in golf that I am jealous of because you only get it once at each course. 

Edited by vandyland
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hope you and your buddies have a great time. I can appreciate your excitement as my wife and I are headed to Pinehurst for the first time the week of Labor Day for 3 nights at the resort and playing 4 rounds (Courses 1, 3, 8, and 9), can't see paying the premium to play #2. Just hoping my old bones hold up playing 4 days in a row.

Current Irons: Callaway Apex CF16  - Recoil 760 Regular Flex, Std. Length/Lie

Callaway 56 Degree PM Grind Wedge

Current Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 2 - Fujikura Pro 2.0 53 R2 Std. Length 9 degree

Grips: Golf Pride CP2 Pro - Jumbo

Dexterity: Right handed

Resides: The Villages, FL (Home of 12 Championship Golf Courses)

HDCP: 17.8

Plays: 3-4 times per week 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2021 at 12:47 PM, ChuckZ said:

Am joining 99 other TT loyalists on September 12 for three days at Pinehurst.

You must have submitted your request within seconds of the email - that event sold out incredibly fast.  Have a great time.  Definitely jealous.

  • Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, juspoole said:

You must have submitted your request within seconds of the email - that event sold out incredibly fast.  Have a great time.  Definitely jealous.

Yep, I was the 2nd one signed up, and I don't know how the person beat me as I literally singed up within a minute of the post going live.  HA   Have been to several of these and hoping that I'll be able to make it.   The Delta thing is getting me worried, as my Dr. said I still need to be cautious as i still have a compromised immune system. 

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 12:03 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, I was the 2nd one signed up, and I don't know how the person beat me as I literally singed up within a minute of the post going live.  HA   Have been to several of these and hoping that I'll be able to make it.   The Delta thing is getting me worried, as my Dr. said I still need to be cautious as i still have a compromised immune system. 

At the risk of sounding stupid, but my curiosity is peaked. What is a TT loyalist? What sold out in minutes? My guess was Team Titleist, but even if that’s right, what was the sign up? How often do they happen? I would love to be a part of a golf group like what you are describing.  

  • Like 1

Go Blue! Hail to the victors!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GIRplus3Putt said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, but my curiosity is peaked. What is a TT loyalist? What sold out in minutes? My guess was Team Titleist, but even if that’s right, what was the sign up? How often do they happen? I would love to be a part of a golf group like what you are describing.  

TT is in Fact Team Titleist 

TT loyalist isn’t rally an official designation. It generally refers to those that are active on the Team Titleist Discussion Boad, which can be found on the main Titleist site. 
 

Titleist hosts an annual Team Titleist Invitational every year in the fall.  It’s held at a 1st class resort.  Pinehurst this year and few years ago.  Bandon Dunes, Whistling Straits, Kiawah and TPC Sawgrass as well. 

The site and dates are usually posted in February or March with all the details.  Costs, What's included etc.  

They are usually 2.5 day events.  This year is 3 days.  3 rounds at Pinehurst.  No’s 2,4 and 8 as well as a round on the Cradle and putting contest on Thistle Dunes. 
 

Costs can range from $1300 to $2100 per person and include all golf, accommodations at the resort, breakfast each day, a dinner one night and awards lunch the final day.    Also usually an incredible welcome package of ProV’s, FJ apparel, and vey nice an exclusive Team Titleist items that can’t usually be bought.  Mugs, steel bag tags, T-shirt’s, money clips, ball markers.  Lots more.  
 

Several members of Titleist staff attend.  The Digital Team snd members of the ball and club Fitting teams and R&D are usually there.  Special guests have included Bob Vokey and Cameron McComrick.  

its usually limited to 80 or so attendees to allow for a more personal experience.  
 

Once signups go live they literally fill up within a couple hours.  So you need to be watching for it. If you are a registered TT member you will get an email giving a couple days notice that signup is coming 

There are other regional US events throughout the year put on by actual Team Titleist members.  And they may get some SWAG sent to give out. And sometime Allan or someone else from the Team Titleist site may show up if they can.   But the official Team Titleist Invitationals are  truly special events.  
 

You will make new golf friends that last years. 
 

There was going to be an International Team Titleist event somewhere in the Dominican in 2020 but it was cancelled due to Covid.  
 

  • Like 5

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

TT is in Fact Team Titleist 

TT loyalist isn’t rally an official designation. It generally refers to those that are active on the Team Titleist Discussion Boad, which can be found on the main Titleist site. 
 

Titleist hosts an annual Team Titleist Invitational every year in the fall.  It’s held at a 1st class resort.  Pinehurst this year and few years ago.  Bandon Dunes, Whistling Straits, Kiawah and TPC Sawgrass as well. 

The site and dates are usually posted in February or March with all the details.  Costs, What's included etc.  

They are usually 2.5 day events.  This year is 3 days.  3 rounds at Pinehurst.  No’s 2,4 and 8 as well as a round on the Cradle and putting contest on Thistle Dunes. 
 

Costs can range from $1300 to $2100 per person and include all golf, accommodations at the resort, breakfast each day, a dinner one night and awards lunch the final day.    Also usually an incredible welcome package of ProV’s, FJ apparel, and vey nice an exclusive Team Titleist items that can’t usually be bought.  Mugs, steel bag tags, T-shirt’s, money clips, ball markers.  Lots more.  
 

Several members of Titleist staff attend.  The Digital Team snd members of the ball and club Fitting teams and R&D are usually there.  Special guests have included Bob Vokey and Cameron McComrick.  

its usually limited to 80 or so attendees to allow for a more personal experience.  
 

Once signups go live they literally fill up within a couple hours.  So you need to be watching for it. If you are a registered TT member you will get an email giving a couple days notice that signup is coming 

There are other regional US events throughout the year put on by actual Team Titleist members.  And they may get some SWAG sent to give out. And sometime Allan or someone else from the Team Titleist site may show up if they can.   But the official Team Titleist Invitationals are  truly special events.  
 

You will make new golf friends that last years. 
 

There was going to be an International Team Titleist event somewhere in the Dominican in 2020 but it was cancelled due to Covid.  
 

Oh wow! Thank you so much for all this information! I am fairly new to the golf world. Outside of a few rounds a year with my father as a child and early adulthood, I wasn’t really involved. Seeing the 2020 US Open and Masters really made me fall in love with the game. I sold our house in Detroit and moved to Myrtle Beach where I could play golf year round, and learn to play well. It’s eight months in, and it has been amazing. I found this forum in that time, and it’s been a linchpin to my success on the course. But I am really looking to branch out and get involved in the golf community, and something like this is pretty cool! Maybe I’ll run into at one of these events down the road.

Thank you so much for the detailed information. You have been great!

  • Like 1

Go Blue! Hail to the victors!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GIRplus3Putt said:

Oh wow! Thank you so much for all this information! I am fairly new to the golf world. Outside of a few rounds a year with my father as a child and early adulthood, I wasn’t really involved. Seeing the 2020 US Open and Masters really made me fall in love with the game. I sold our house in Detroit and moved to Myrtle Beach where I could play golf year round, and learn to play well. It’s eight months in, and it has been amazing. I found this forum in that time, and it’s been a linchpin to my success on the course. But I am really looking to branch out and get involved in the golf community, and something like this is pretty cool! Maybe I’ll run into at one of these events down the road.

Thank you so much for the detailed information. You have been great!

You're quite welcome.   If you ever do make a TeamTitleist event or official or local, you will find it a fantastic time. 

You found the best online golf community out there as far as a friendly and helpful group here.  Feel free to jump in any topic with questions about anything, I promise you, you will get helpful info.

We have a couple great members in the Myrtle Beach area.  They are two great guys who you might be able to hook up with and hit the range or course with. @BIG STU is one of the very first original members here and the mayor of sorts of Myrtle Beach.  @Grand Stranded is another very popular member who can help you with the MB golf scene as well. 

Good luck and Most of all Have fun.

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You're quite welcome.   If you ever do make a TeamTitleist event or official or local, you will find it a fantastic time. 

You found the best online golf community out there as far as a friendly and helpful group here.  Feel free to jump in any topic with questions about anything, I promise you, you will get helpful info.

We have a couple great members in the Myrtle Beach area.  They are two great guys who you might be able to hook up with and hit the range or course with. @BIG STU is one of the very first original members here and the mayor of sorts of Myrtle Beach.  @Grand Stranded is another very popular member who can help you with the MB golf scene as well. 

Good luck and Most of all Have fun.

Thanks CG LOL no where near the Mayor of MB but I am sorta the mayor of Garden City and definetely the Mayor of the Garden City Pancake House. 

  • Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...