TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter fitting and a surprising result

Watchnut33

Sounds like a great result for you. Goes to show the effect that fitting can have on your game. Here's to more hole rattles!

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Awesome gift by your wife!!  She probably got tired of hearing about your putting woes!!   🤣🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

48 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Awesome gift by your wife!!  She probably got tired of hearing about your putting woes!!   🤣🤣

I’m sure of it. I have 2 putting mats that I practice on at home and there have been a lot more choice words muttered around them the last few months!

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

8 hours ago, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Sounds like a great result for you. Goes to show the effect that fitting can have on your game. Here's to more hole rattles!

Definitely would recommend the putter fitting to anyone considering it. My last putter was “fit” for me at a big box store and I’m fairly certain there wasn’t a single adjustment made to it, just a cursory glance at me rolling a few putts and a “yep looks like it’s the right fit”. It worked ok for 8ish years, but as I improved it became obvious I needed to be properly fit. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Great to hear how well the fitting turned out.  Putting is so much about confidence so hope that it continues on the course for you.

I tried the Cobra putters recently and agree the ball comes off the face very well.  There is something to that SIK face technology.  They only had the larger mallet in left hand and the aesthetics weren't for me.  Hoping to try the blade soon.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

47 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Great to hear how well the fitting turned out.  Putting is so much about confidence so hope that it continues on the course for you.

I tried the Cobra putters recently and agree the ball comes off the face very well.  There is something to that SIK face technology.  They only had the larger mallet in left hand and the aesthetics weren't for me.  Hoping to try the blade soon.

Yeah the descending loft technology gives it such a consistent feel off the club face that I just couldn’t ignore it. Trackman data backed it up with how little deviation I had on ball speed at impact and with my roll percentage. The confidence that gives me will be a huge boost. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Im looking forward to getting fit in the Edel EAS soon, and oddly one of my golf buddies was recently going on about his new armlock putter.

your new putter slightly reminds me of my old Nike converge batmobile putter- great putter, butt, you will find the stuff gets into that rear compartment youve got there…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Two things made the arm-lock putter popular recently, but the concept has been around for quite a while.

1. The USGA/R&A banned anchoring, but bracing against a forearm was still legal.
  2. Matt Kuchar adopted it.

As early as 2002, I built myself an arm-lock putter. It didn't go nearly as high on the arm as a modern ones, but it shared a lot of characteristics with them. At the time, it didn't stay in my bag. But I made the switch for good about 7 years ago. I built myself a few variants of the modern arm-lock, and still use the one I found best at the time Here is what I would expect you to find, at least based on my experience.

• Good news: your line is likely to be better than before.
  • More good news: if you have any tendency to the yips, this is likely to ward them off. I developed the yips in my early 70s. Tried a lot of things, with varying degrees of success. The arm-lock was the most successful.
  • Not-so-good news: You will have to recalibrate your distance, especially if you were a "feel" putter. You may find it hard to dial in your distance feel. Stick with it; you will probably get there. It just may take some time.

Hope this helps.

That putter looks awesome. Have never tried an arm lock but it’s definitely interesting to see it grow in popularity.

I got fitted for my Scotty last year. Tried 5 brands and both mallet and blades. Really thought I would putt better with a mallet, but the fitter showed me the data and got me onto another Scotty. 

I found from my fitting that my putts now start rolling quicker off the face based on the fitting data and my putts are heading exactly where my line is now vs my previous inconsistency on most putts. Major difference is slight adjustment to loft and longer putter length.

Have always been a decent putter, but now it’s even better. My distance control is definitely user errors and not my putter. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

That putter looks awesome. Have never tried an arm lock but it’s definitely interesting to see it grow in popularity.

I got fitted for my Scotty last year. Tried 5 brands and both mallet and blades. Really thought I would putt better with a mallet, but the fitter showed me the data and got me onto another Scotty. 

I found from my fitting that my putts now start rolling quicker off the face based on the fitting data and my putts are heading exactly where my line is now vs my previous inconsistency on most putts. Major difference is slight adjustment to loft and longer putter length.

Have always been a decent putter, but now it’s even better. My distance control is definitely user errors and not my putter. 

It’s funny, I never would have considered this putter without the fitting. I was set on trying to get into a Scotty or Bettinardi or Oddysey but the data just didn’t support any of those over this one. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

15 minutes ago, Mike Coker said:

Recommendations for getting putter fitting?? I'm currently in western Wyoming for the summer, then down to Mesquite NV over the winter.

Thanks

My fitter is a locaL golf shop that uses trackman. There are other putter fitting systems out there, but I don’t have experience with those. I can definitely recommend trying to find a course or shop that uses trackman for fitting. You’re going to have to pass through Las Vegas to get to Mesquite, you could probably find some options there. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

13 minutes ago, Mike Coker said:

Roger that, and thanks for the reply. Thinking LV could be a place to start my search...... Was hoping to find a good recommendation for a known good fitter closer to my summer spot. Thanks again.

Depending on where in western Wyoming you could probably find decent options in SLC. I have a lot of family in eastern Idaho, beautiful part of the country. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Sounds like a great experience. It'll be interesting to see how it translates on the course. Good luck and less us know!

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

i've been looking to schedule a putter fitting as well! Good to know they are helpful as they should be. Hoping to learn more about my putting issues too as im abt 35 putts/rd. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I recently inherited the Bettinardi armlock that @downlowkey reviewed for MyGolfSpy.  I was surprised at how much easier it is putt and I'm now a super fan of armlock. Enjoy!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Updates: 

Got back out to the practice green again yesterday after spending the last several days rolling putts in the house. Distance control is spot on for me and now that I’m getting comfortable with the arm lock and setup. 

Got out to play 18 this afternoon and all I can say is wow. I felt like I was going to make everything, rolled in a few 20 footers, lipped out a 40 footer and ended the round with 30 putts and a career low 83. This putter is going to be a game changer for me. 

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

My brother recently was professionally fitted and ended up with a SIK putter, even after just recently purchasing a new Scotty Phantom 5.5. Since then he has been putting lights out, if he doesn't 1 putt I am surprised. I never realized putter fitting was so important, but this post reaffirms that. Thanks for the info.

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

After @Watchnut33 inspired me to finally go get a putter fitting, i scheduled my appointment yesterday to give it a go!

I went to a local fitting place near me in Charleston, SC (David Ayers Golf) where they utilized the LAB system to review my putting stroke. Real cool info to see. I attached a sensor bar to my gamer putter and putted 5 balls. Gave analysis of the tempo, speed, stroke arc, stroke path, impact on the face, face angle, and some other info. 

Come to find out I had an out-to-in stroke, my face is open, but cutting across closed to the path. 

Respectfully, my fitter did not necessarily recommend a new putter (dont tell my wife) but wanted me to work on a better putting path. He thought the putters i had worked well as any new putter would be based on personal feel. Essentially he provided some putting lessons. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

7 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

After @Watchnut33 inspired me to finally go get a putter fitting, i scheduled my appointment yesterday to give it a go!

I went to a local fitting place near me in Charleston, SC (David Ayers Golf) where they utilized the LAB system to review my putting stroke. Real cool info to see. I attached a sensor bar to my gamer putter and putted 5 balls. Gave analysis of the tempo, speed, stroke arc, stroke path, impact on the face, face angle, and some other info. 

Come to find out I had an out-to-in stroke, my face is open, but cutting across closed to the path. 

Respectfully, my fitter did not necessarily recommend a new putter (dont tell my wife) but wanted me to work on a better putting path. He thought the putters i had worked well as any new putter would be based on personal feel. Essentially he provided some putting lessons. 

For people that want to know the numbers and details, puttlab provides great and insightful information.   Fixing path isn’t bad if it is really inconsistent,  but face angle is really the key in determining where the ball will go.  Most people have a bias to the left or right and just like the full swing sometimes it is best to embrace that bias and not try to zero your path and possible end up with a 2 way miss. 

what strategy did he provide for working on path.?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosilwe worked with a tool called the Putting Arc just to get the feel of a putting arc and not a direct straight back, straight forward swing. As much as i wanted straight back/forward, i was out to in a few degrees. Then we laid down some alignment sticks to make sure my putter didnt go above the top one or much below the bottom one. 

I have a Taylormade Spider Interactive putter which is actually used for fittings (unbeknownst to me) and the Blast Motion sensor that fits in the top gives all of the same metrics (just not the visual like the LAB system). I'll be practicing with that to get more consistent. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

4 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

@cnosilwe worked with a tool called the Putting Arc just to get the feel of a putting arc and not a direct straight back, straight forward swing. As much as i wanted straight back/forward, i was out to in a few degrees. Then we laid down some alignment sticks to make sure my putter didnt go above the top one or much below the bottom one. 

I have a Taylormade Spider Interactive putter which is actually used for fittings (unbeknownst to me) and the Blast Motion sensor that fits in the top gives all of the same metrics (just not the visual like the LAB system). I'll be practicing with that to get more consistent. 

Yep, no such thing as SBST unless you manipulate you arms and elbow bend. Better to accept that there is some arc and rotation.  Keep it up, sounds like you are on a path to a more sound putting stroke. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep, no such thing as SBST unless you manipulate you arms and elbow bend. Better to accept that there is some arc and rotation.  Keep it up, sounds like you are on a path to a more sound putting stroke. 

+1. For anyone who thinks they are SBST, it's easy to prove otherwise for yourself. Just put down a 2x4 or similar lined up parallel with your target line, address a ball with the heel of your putter against the 2x4 and take a stroke. Most if not all will find it feels very awkward when your putter is truly forced on a SBST path. I was shocked when I tried it. We all have an arc, it's just a matter of how much...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Just trying to find a way to cut off like 3-4 strokes from my scores. Eliminate the 3 putts and maybe make a few more from 10ft. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

Probably the most overlooked aspect of fitting. Majority tend to go to a golf store pick up a putter off the rack, rolls and holes a couple putts and walks away with that putter. So many variables in a putter fitting so it is best to see a professional. Huge value for the amount of strokes it can save you.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...

Another follow up here. I’ve had the new putter in the bag for 4 rounds now and I’ve never putted better than I have lately. It took me a couple weeks of practicing to get my set up in a comfortable place, and now I feel like I’m going to make every putt. Yesterday I rolled in a couple from beyond 25’ and only missed 1 from inside 10’. My misses were all close, leaving a lot of tap in clean ups. Distance control has been such a huge improvement with this putter, and the ball coming off the face is even better now that I’m really comfortable with my setup and stroke. For reference my Arccos handicap for putting yesterday was +5, whereas with my old putter it was typically anywhere from 2 to 10.

I can’t recommend strongly enough getting fitted for a putter and keeping an open mind if your fitter suggests a putter you wouldn’t have considered. 

Edited by Watchnut33

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge