TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is there such a thing as golf collection appraisers?

If so, I definitely need one. I copied the following from my introduction post located in the southwest geographical area introduction thread just because its too much to retype it all.

How’d you pick your user name? Well you see, uhm. I'm being buried alive by golf clubs? I have always loved the idea of golf, but never had the money to get into it. But recently, I spent $100 on some old golf clubs, and boy oh boy let me tell you, i have a lot of clubs. I originally was expecting to maybe get a few good sets of clubs out of the whole lot ,(guy i got them from got them at a storage auction and the listing made it sound like most were trash) but upon further review, in think that I Bought the hoard of a serious collector. I have a couple different Macgregor vip sets, even a VIP limited set, as well as muirfield 20th anniversary model, louise sugga model, 130w parmakers, winged MT tourneys, DX, DX2, and DX3 irons, then I've got a bunch of Wilson staff model sets , such as the staff tour blades, fg-17, fg-51, dynapower, and dynapowerED Staff sets, old school golden bear blades, 1967 and 68 hogan bounce soles, radial soles, and other various hogans, I've got walter hagens , "the haig" and "haig-ultra" top flite synchrodyned blades, Forgan blades with pyratone shafts, kroflite robert Trent jones also with pyratone shafts, fancy face woods galore, and more wedges and putters than I ever imagined were possible for one man to own. I intend to try and flip them, but I really would like to learn the history behind these clubs, all-the-while looking for that perfect set of clubs that suit me the best somewhere within this hoard0522211647.jpg.ba7efa5295733030b0506f281278a9a2.jpgpictured here is an assortment of Macgregor sets and Wilson staff irons sets, as well as assorted VIP and Staff wedges, which makes up roughly 5-10% of my collection in total.

Iconic iron sets galore. 4 Macgregor VIP sets, 5 Wilson staff sets, many ben hogan and walter hagens sets, vintage wedges, and some fancy face woods. I have around 1000 clubs and 50+ bags, that I bought for $100

I think we have a new winner in the club ho category! 

There is a company called ValuePros that can give you and idea of what they are worth. In general if they are steel shafted they aren't old enough to get decent money as you would get for an old wood shaft club. Probably worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 to $20 per club since they are common name clubs. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 6/21/2021 at 5:58 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I think we have a new winner in the club ho category! 

There is a company called ValuePros that can give you and idea of what they are worth. In general if they are steel shafted they aren't old enough to get decent money as you would get for an old wood shaft club. Probably worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 to $20 per club since they are common name clubs. 

$10-20 a club? 

O.O 

That would literally be 10-20k or more, from a single $100 investment. Move over bitcoin! Thats a 100-200x return on investment, I highly doubt I'd get that much for them all. It would be nice if I could find someone who could come out to me and buy them all at once! That would definitely save me a whole ton of time.

Iconic iron sets galore. 4 Macgregor VIP sets, 5 Wilson staff sets, many ben hogan and walter hagens sets, vintage wedges, and some fancy face woods. I have around 1000 clubs and 50+ bags, that I bought for $100

You have some interesting stuff there but it isn't worth a lot at this point. $100 isn't bad for what you got but you will likely have to spend some time selling on eBay to get the best return. If any of the sets are worth something, they should sell quickly on eBay. This is definitely the best time to sell given the current market but I imagine that even some of those sets will be a challenge to sell quickly. 

From what I can tell, the running average for a set of irons is $125., but some sets i have, sold recently for $200 all the way up to $500.  For example, a set of muirfield 20th irons just sold for about 300, but it didn't include a 1 iron, or the driver and 3 wood, as where I have 1-sw plus the driver and 3 wood. No putter though sadly, but I do have a macgregor response putter. What do you think would be a fair price for that?

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

@BIG STU he is our local older club ho who may know the most about what you have here

In the classic club world there is a lot of factors. As far as real Classic Club Appraisers there is no set one price. A lot of it depends on what the club is and to some extent what shape the club is in. A good example is 50s Macgregor LFF drivers. Those things fetch good money no matter what shape they are in. Ask our member Deejaid he is into a lot of that and he rebuilds wooden clubs too. Also you will have some real experts in certain type equipment and brand specific. If you go on the Persimmon Golf Society on Facebook you will find a wealth of knowledge on any brand you want. Then on FB you have splinter groups like Macgregor and Hogan groups. Ping Putters are a whole different Animal too. Collecting can be a vast animal too as in how one goes about it. I know one collector on here and WRX Robot Doctor all of his stuff is pristine. You take a guy like me I salvaged most of my stuff from the scrapyard I used to work at or from Goodwill or Yard sales. I never got into it to find the golden goose. I have seen the violence on a daily basis of what the metal shredder does. I can not stand to see any classic club no matter the brand be destroyed. I do not pay a whole lot for stuff so I give away a lot of stuff or trade. In fact when Tom The Golf Nut visits me in July he is more than likely going back home with some free classic stuff if he wants. When I was healthier I played most of the stuff I found at one time or the other. Right now my back will not take me swinging the heavier wooden head and steel shafted clubs but I plan to be back by late summer early fall. Out of all the clubs I have I have only ONE club that has never been hit and it is a beautiful Blonde Toney Penna Driver. A Pro friend of mine gave it to me and I know the whole history on it. On the OPs original haul I can see for the price he paid he can make a few bucks on it if he chooses. Me I have gotten out of hand. I sold a mix of 2000s and some classic stuff a couple of weeks ago and did well but I am still cramped on space. I also believe in Playing it Forward. I have had a lot of members on here and WRX send me stuff free and I do not hesitate to send another member stuff for free. In a lot of cases I would rather see the stuff played and cherished than sitting in my shop or warehouse gathering dust and rust. Actually I am doing good. I have not been to the scrapyard since I was injured in April of 2020 and have not been to Goodwill either. But there is no right or wrong way to go about the Classic Club World. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sounds like you have some interesting stuff and that you really want to unload the entire collection at once.  I also saw that you posted about collectable bags.  
many things a collected by people and the challenge is finding the person that collects what you have.   Not knowing the entire collection you have but based on what you described, you should easily recoup you $100 investment.  What it will take is time,  you need to identify, catalog, price, list, and ship product to buyers.  Shipping costs will significantly cut into you “profits”.  I would suggest you go to local golf stores that deal with used equipment; with a list of what you have, and see if they know of any local buyers.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I also believe in Playing it Forward. I have had a lot of members on here and WRX send me stuff free and I do not hesitate to send another member stuff for free. In a lot of cases I would rather see the stuff played and cherished than sitting in my shop or warehouse gathering dust and rust. 

I'm right there with you. I rather give a set away to someone that really wants to get into golf but can afford the initial investment. My deal is "You can have these and if you ever decide you don't like golf give them back so I can give them to someone else". I just gave another set away last week. It was a golfer that wanted to get his daughter into golf. I happened to have a Junior set left from when my kids were young and these were the right size for her.  Then I fill the ball pouch up as well. Since this was his daughter I put in all colored balls. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

11 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm right there with you. I rather give a set away to someone that really wants to get into golf but can afford the initial investment. My deal is "You can have these and if you ever decide you don't like golf give them back so I can give them to someone else". I just gave another set away last week. It was a golfer that wanted to get his daughter into golf. I happened to have a Junior set left from when my kids were young and these were the right size for her.  Then I fill the ball pouch up as well. Since this was his daughter I put in all colored balls. 

Yeah I agree I barely ever sell stuff I mostly give it away/donate then resell .. I have a TM M1 I use as a back driver but now have ping and cobra so just gave it to my buddy who is playing a really old Big Bertha .. Had some old irons and I gave them to the local range for one of there programs to just give to someone who needs them. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag