TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Poor-Man's Pro V1

Greetings, fellow Spyers . . . 

So my game is improving (hit my first 230yd drive on Father's Day!) however my ability to lose a ridiculous amount of golf balls in any given round remains the same!

I play red and yellow golf balls so it's easier for me to find and ID mine on the course, and have been playing the Srixon Soft Feel, Bridgestone e6 Soft, and the Taylor Made Soft Response (I am a 59yo "beginner") Played my first Pro V1's this weekend (courtesy of my son-in-law) and was wondering if there was such a thing as the "Poor-Man's" Pro V1 so I can play those and am not throwing away $50-$100 per round (yes, I lost 2dz golf balls in the high weeds this weekend.)

Thanks All . . .

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Thanks, jlukes, but it looks like Snell is still out of product and not shipping anytime soon.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

I’d look here and compare balls of a similar firmness and cover to the prov1.  Maxfli tour might be a good option. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/

that said, if you are losing 2 dozen balls a round, you might want to consider lessons and/or just playing bargain balls until you can control the ball direction a little better.  Or was the course that tough and you don’t normally loose that many?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would suggest going to lostgolfballs.com and getting mint graded balls. I've been playing the titlieist tour soft and they come in a BRIGHT neon and seem pretty solid for the price used. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Snell is a good bet, but you could also try VICE golf balls.  Pro Soft and Pro Plus if you are really looking for something comparable.  But the the TOUR plays really good too.

Chiller Cart Bag

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9° - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim Max Rocket 3wd 14° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue 4H 22° - Ventus Blue 7S

:cobra-small: King Forged Tec 2020 - 5 thru PW - Dynamic Gold S400

:cleveland-small: CBX 2 54° Wedge

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 3 Sand Wedge 58°

Bat Attack Battle Ready Putter 34"

:Arccos: Tracking

51 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks, jlukes, but it looks like Snell is still out of product and not shipping anytime soon.

The MTB-x is available in white, but limited to 2 dozen per order right now.  I got my order within a week, just a week ago.  I see all of their yellow balls are temporarily unavailable.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I’d look here and compare balls of a similar firmness and cover to the prov1.  Maxfli tour might be a good option. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/

that said, if you are losing 2 dozen balls a round, you might want to consider lessons and/or just playing bargain balls until you can control the ball direction a little better.  Or was the course that tough and you don’t normally loose that many?  

So . . . I AM taking lessons, and I am losing less and less balls by the round, but when I play a really challenging private course like this weekend vs. some of the more forgiving public courses, I've yet to figure out how NOT to put my ball in the high grass/weeds and find those damn things!!! LOL (this was an anomaly)

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

I'd play the cheapest ball I could get at your point in the game.  If you just want to spend more money then LostGolfBalls.com is your next best bet.  I'm not even sure I'd opt for mint at this point in your development.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Any thoughts on the Volvik Vimax? They are on sale right now, thought to try them but don't know much about them?

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

28 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Any thoughts on the Volvik Vimax? They are on sale right now, thought to try them but don't know much about them?

Not at all like a prov1.   You are looking for a tour level ball;  from volvik that would be the S3 or S4.  Kirkland balls might be an option worth looking into; not as good as when they originally came out but not horrible.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not at all like a prov1.   You are looking for a tour level ball;  from volvik that would be the S3 or S4.  Kirkland balls might be an option worth looking into; not as good as when they originally came out but not horrible.  

Given my current skill level, should I even be entertaining a Pro V1-like ball? Maybe I need to dial-back my enthusiasm and find something else like the ones I am already playing?

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

15 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Given my current skill level, should I even be entertaining a Pro V1-like ball? Maybe I need to dial-back my enthusiasm and find something else like the ones I am already playing?

you will get the best performance out of a tour level ball; both distance and spin control.   That said based on you game description I personally would look at less expensive balls; maybe even used, since you lose so many.  Distance should be about the same with the biggest downgrade being iron and green side spin.  You can always switch once you get beater control of you shot dispersion. 

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Snell MTB Black is your best bet for the price.

You'll get your money back in golf balls if you take lessons!

Taylormade SIM2 Driver and 3 wood, PING 410 Hybrids (3, 4 &5) Taylormade 790 irons (7-PW), Vokey SM8 48, 52, 56, and 60 wedges and Nice to Pipe Putter

50 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

My take would be that everyone values different things. Some guys spend $50/dozen knowing it's the best ball they could play and if they lose a dozen in a round, at least they maximized performance for the ball while they had it. Other guys go to Dick's (or insert retailer of choice) and find the balls at their preferred price point and just play until they find a ball that generally works for them. (My neighbor is in this category, having settled on the Bridgestone e12 because it gives him soft feel, high launch, and low spin, which equates to more distance. His wedges are 5+ years old and he doesn't think he's hit a shot in his life that has backed up on the green, so a Tour ball that has a urethane cover might actually cause some issues for parts of his game. Plus he doesn't want to spend that much.)

The MyGolfSpy mantra is to pick a ball and play it, for every shot of every round. Some of us don't want the investment that comes with that strategy and so we play within comparable categories. Or you can do what I did up until a couple years ago (including when I played in college) -- buy whatever you want at the store (for me it was typically in the $20-25/dozen range) and then scour the rough/woods when you go play and build up a stash of what you find.

(Just don't buy range balls from the shop and then play with those.... that's rude.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

If you want a Poor Man's version of a Tour Ball, you're not going to find anything that fits that description better than the Kirkland Signature 3 piece ball.  I'm not sure there are many new balls you can buy that are $1 per ball, much less one that provides the performance you'll get out of them.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Wilson Staff Duo Soft are $20.00 a dozen.  I will suggest to you the same thing I have suggested to other similar queries on this forum.  Use whatever ball you can afford to lose.  Play a ball you are comfortable giving a cursory look for, and then dropping another and playing on, for the sake of pace of play.  Whatever value of ball that is for you,  only you can say.   

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, Shaun Smith said:

You'll get your money back in golf balls if you take lessons!

Already responded that I am taking lessons. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and developing a golf game feels like it will take longer than building Rome!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

1 minute ago, stuka44 said:

Wilson Staff Duo Soft are $20.00 a dozen.  I will suggest to you the same thing I have suggested to other similar queries on this forum.  Use whatever ball you can afford to lose.  Play a ball you are comfortable giving a cursory look for, and then dropping another and playing on, for the sake of pace of play.  Whatever value of ball that is for you,  only you can say.   

I have several dozen of those, but the driver manufacturer is telling me that playing those 35 compression balls is like hitting marshmallows and I need harder ones (ergo my Srixon's.)

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

The Srixon Z-Star is only 2 compression points softer, and has all the same qualities as ProV1 (3pc, mid flight, mid spin) per the MGS ball labs. And regardless of their 0-100 metric, it was only 3% worse in the True Price rating.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Normally, I'd steer clear of this topic, but today I will weigh in. In my opinion, the answer is NO. Ball manufacturers are not going to create a ball that performs like Titleist's Pro V1 line, then sell it for nothing. They might as well burn money. Pro V1s didn't/don't just happen. They are the result of meticulous R&D, which costs $$$. Additionally,  they are constantly being tweaked, in the areas of performance & durability.  Different performance characteristics are test win the lab, on the tour and on the course - witness the current Testers Wanted. Two different balls are being offered to us to test and evaluate. They may make it to the market, they may not. I don't believe any other ball company devotes that much time energy and resources to their product. The closest thing to a poor man's pro V1 is, IMHO, an older version of the ball, which can be bought on the internet for a reasonable price. 

I AM NOT SAYING other companies don't produce quality balls; they do, indeed. One of which just might be the better ball for you. I am saying Titleist takes their ball R&D and Marketing to another level. I've played the Kirkland 4 piece, the TP5, and others, and loved them. However, I feel I get much more from the Pro V1, without having to make trade-offs (other than price - but, hey! I'm really good at sussing out great buys on new Pro V1.s).

I'd recommend you take your swing to a reliable ball fitter and get his/her input. Then try other balls. 

FYI The Pro V1x is the only Titleist product in my bag. I've had others, but I've found brands that provide more of what I need/want is those areas than Titleist does. Their apparel? That's another topic all together. I love their clothing, too!

^^^ I don’t disagree with your POV, while there are several world class tour balls, by all accounts Titleist makes the most consistent tour ball. But in that $49/dozen, I wonder how much the customer pays for endorsements? [I searched for income statements but didn’t find one with that kind of detail] It should be possible to make a ball to match Titleist performance and consistency at a (substantially) lower price (without endorsements, marketing, sponsorship, retail support) - as you know that’s what DTC is all about, like Snell. They haven’t done it yet, but maybe they will in time…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

8 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Greetings, fellow Spyers . . . 

So my game is improving (hit my first 230yd drive on Father's Day!) however my ability to lose a ridiculous amount of golf balls in any given round remains the same!

I play red and yellow golf balls so it's easier for me to find and ID mine on the course, and have been playing the Srixon Soft Feel, Bridgestone e6 Soft, and the Taylor Made Soft Response (I am a 59yo "beginner") Played my first Pro V1's this weekend (courtesy of my son-in-law) and was wondering if there was such a thing as the "Poor-Man's" Pro V1 so I can play those and am not throwing away $50-$100 per round (yes, I lost 2dz golf balls in the high weeds this weekend.)

Thanks All . . .

Snell MTB, Vice Pro, Cut (Red?) and Maxfli Tour are all what I would call a poor man's Pro V1.  They perform almost exactly the same as a Pro V and cost about $25 a dozen.  Ive been playing the Maxfli Tour for the past year, Ive played Pro V1s in the past and I honestly cant tell the different from a Pro V1 to the Maxfli.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I wish there was someone loosing 2 dozen proVs at my course! Kirkland 3 piece are fantastic balls if you never play one long enough to wash them.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

10 minutes ago, Tyler86 said:

I wish there was someone loosing 2 dozen proVs at my course! Kirkland 3 piece are fantastic balls if you never play one long enough to wash them.

The funny thing is, as this course was killer with HIGH grass, we found lots of Pro V1's that other unfortunate souls like us were losing. My son played the entire day (after the first hole) with Pro V1's he found.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Honestly, if you are losing 12-24 balls per round now is not the time for new balls. Buy some gently used balls or some cheap WalMart balls until you can keep it under 4-5 lost per round then start to experiment with high dollar distance or feel balls. We've all been where you are now and for me Spaulding X-Outs were my ball of choice when I was just learning. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I'm still good for a lost 3-4 balls per round and I stick with the sub $30/doz balls. I've tried playing with ProV1s and I honestly do not notice enough of a difference to justify the price of those vs Duo Soft, Bridgestone e6/e12, Srixon Q Star, etc. If I were in the OP's shoes I'd grab a bunch of Top Flite Hammer Controls on sale at Dicks and go have fun. I speak from experience, because I've done the same! 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Thank you, everyone, for your input. It confirms my thoughts, which is at this time I really gain nothing with Pro V1's (original or clones) and sticking with the one's I'm playing - and even adding back into my ball rotation the Wilson DUO's, is the best bet until I gain some better control or I win the lottery LOL! 

My pulling the DUO's out of my bag was because of the very low compression and the recommendation from the driver manufacturer to use a higher compression ball, but maybe that doesn't have to be the case? Anyone interested in buying four dozen brand new Optix Yellow DUO's? 

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

2 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thank you, everyone, for your input. It confirms my thoughts, which is at this time I really gain nothing with Pro V1's (original or clones) and sticking with the one's I'm playing - and even adding back into my ball rotation the Wilson DUO's, is the best bet until I gain some better control or I win the lottery LOL! 

My pulling the DUO's out of my bag was because of the very low compression and the recommendation from the driver manufacturer to use a higher compression ball, but maybe that doesn't have to be the case? Anyone interested in buying four dozen brand new Optix Yellow DUO's? 

To be blunt, the manufacturer's recommendation means very little when it comes to your specific game and how you feel about the balls you're playing. If you enjoy playing the DUO and don't notice any appreciable distance loss or concerns vs. other balls, then by all means keep playing them. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

If you are loosing balls at that rate, does it really matter the quality of the ball.  First thing you need to do, with respect, is to hit the ball and control it.  If I were you, again with all due respect, I would go to Walmart and purchase the cheapest ball you can find, and they do have refinished golf balls for under ten dollars and some are even Titleist and play those.  I would take that $100 a round you are wasting in lost golf balls and see a teacher and make golf more enjoyable.  If you are loosing two dozen a round, you are costing yourself at least 48 strokes a round, minimum.  Lessons, lessons, lessons then worry about the type of golf ball.  Vice and Kirkland are not comparable to Prov1s, just cheaper.  Kirkland at one time made a good ball, but changed molds and now, well not so good.  There are a lot of wannabe Titleist balls, but they cannot backup the R&D, the performance, the quality and the customer service.  I was fitted for them years ago and have never looked back.  I also saw an instructor to get my game in line over the past few years, once I retired and made a big difference.  Saw him this week for a few tweaks.  Am 75 and the best I can get the ball out there is 230+.  I bet if I took the markings off a dozen different balls and let you hit them, you could not tell the difference on the driving range.  Just saying.  Once you game got down to a single digit, you probably could.  With respect to you game, hope you find what you are looking for.  Follow that dream.  Cheers, CZ        

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE