TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Poor-Man's Pro V1

Even though I don't lose a lot of balls, I like the Maxfli Tour balls for a bargain "tour" ball.  They always seem to be available at 2 for $55 and the $10 DSG credits are easy to come by.  I like some of the other big name tour balls a bit better, but not enough to justify the price....and when I play a ProV it doesn't seem to help my score.  

I definitely want a urethane cover on my ball.  I did really like the Kirkland 4-piece ball, but found the original 3-piece to be short hitting.  I haven't tried the latest Kirkland ball yet, but I hear it is better and the price is certainly good.  I like Snell also, but they weren't always available this year.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

If you are loosing balls at that rate, does it really matter the quality of the ball.  First thing you need to do, with respect, is to hit the ball and control it.  If I were you, again with all due respect, I would go to Walmart and purchase the cheapest ball you can find, and they do have refinished golf balls for under ten dollars and some are even Titleist and play those.  I would take that $100 a round you are wasting in lost golf balls and see a teacher and make golf more enjoyable.  If you are loosing two dozen a round, you are costing yourself at least 48 strokes a round, minimum.  Lessons, lessons, lessons then worry about the type of golf ball.  Vice and Kirkland are not comparable to Prov1s, just cheaper.  Kirkland at one time made a good ball, but changed molds and now, well not so good.  There are a lot of wannabe Titleist balls, but they cannot backup the R&D, the performance, the quality and the customer service.  I was fitted for them years ago and have never looked back.  I also saw an instructor to get my game in line over the past few years, once I retired and made a big difference.  Saw him this week for a few tweaks.  Am 75 and the best I can get the ball out there is 230+.  I bet if I took the markings off a dozen different balls and let you hit them, you could not tell the difference on the driving range.  Just saying.  Once you game got down to a single digit, you probably could.  With respect to you game, hope you find what you are looking for.  Follow that dream.  Cheers, CZ        

The only ball in my bag is the Prov1.  Based on performance and my ability.  I sometimes will play a ball two to three rounds.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

7 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

If you are loosing balls at that rate, does it really matter the quality of the ball.  First thing you need to do, with respect, is to hit the ball and control it.  If I were you, again with all due respect, I would go to Walmart and purchase the cheapest ball you can find, and they do have refinished golf balls for under ten dollars and some are even Titleist and play those.  I would take that $100 a round you are wasting in lost golf balls and see a teacher and make golf more enjoyable.  If you are loosing two dozen a round, you are costing yourself at least 48 strokes a round, minimum.  Lessons, lessons, lessons then worry about the type of golf ball.  Vice and Kirkland are not comparable to Prov1s, just cheaper.  Kirkland at one time made a good ball, but changed molds and now, well not so good.  There are a lot of wannabe Titleist balls, but they cannot backup the R&D, the performance, the quality and the customer service.  I was fitted for them years ago and have never looked back.  I also saw an instructor to get my game in line over the past few years, once I retired and made a big difference.  Saw him this week for a few tweaks.  Am 75 and the best I can get the ball out there is 230+.  I bet if I took the markings off a dozen different balls and let you hit them, you could not tell the difference on the driving range.  Just saying.  Once you game got down to a single digit, you probably could.  With respect to you game, hope you find what you are looking for.  Follow that dream.  Cheers, CZ        

ChuckZ:

As I have said, I have been taking lessons and my game has vastly improved. While my drive is on the slower side, I actually hit a bullet straight down the fairway for 230 yds - a BIG number for me. Until I get to the point of being able to play these championship level courses with better control, cost is a factor. As a side note, I played a couple weeks ago and lost maybe 4 - 6 balls over 18 holes on a more forgiving course.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

I really like the snell mtb black and the vice pro. My favorite right now might actually be the taylormade tour response. Much softer, but feels great of the clubs, urethane cover so spins great.

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

Try the MG C4 golf ball   Only $19.99 per dozen 

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 

Fwy Woods - Taylormade Sim2 

Hybrids - Callaway Steelhead XR

Irons - Callaway Apex Forged

Wedges - Vokey SM7

Putter - Cameron 5.5

Ball - MG C4 and Taylormade TP5

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I'm still good for a lost 3-4 balls per round and I stick with the sub $30/doz balls. I've tried playing with ProV1s and I honestly do not notice enough of a difference to justify the price of those vs Duo Soft, Bridgestone e6/e12, Srixon Q Star, etc. If I were in the OP's shoes I'd grab a bunch of Top Flite Hammer Controls on sale at Dicks and go have fun. I speak from experience, because I've done the same! 

Top Flite Hammers for me. Buy a stock of them when on sale, less than $1 a ball. Maybe someday when I get to the mid teens (I hope) I will upgrade to something better. But they work great for me at this point.

Pete

Just now, peteco said:

Top Flite Hammers for me. Buy a stock of them when on sale, less than $1 a ball. Maybe someday when I get to the mid teens (I hope) I will upgrade to something better. But they work great for me at this point.

The TF Hammer used to be the D2 Feel. I shot the second best round of my life with that ball. My best was with a Duo. When you are ready to upgrade balls just go back to Dick's and try the TF Gamer. It's a little longer than the Hammer and provides more spin.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Lots of good advice here.  The Direct to Consumer is the way to go unless you are a single digit hcp anyway.  I play vice pro soft and hit it just as far as pro V1.  I chose the pro soft vice the pro because it has a little better stopping power with the approach irons.  They have mixed pack that you can try a few different models.  At less than $30 per dozen, pretty good (have to buy 5 dozen).  Kirkland signature is the best value, super cheap and decent ball.  Probably 80% as good at a tour level ball.  I believe that Vice and Snell are probably 95% as good as ProV1 for 1/2 the price.  

As has been mentioned by many, the Kirkland is a decent ball especially for the price. I have been using the Oncore Elixr and find that it performs very well against the ProV1x (my preferred ball). And they just had a Father's Day sale, buy 2 get one free, which worked out to $60 for 3 dozen. You could also the the Oncore Avant 55.

It's tough to find a quality ball that may feel similar for less than$30 a dozen. My suggestion would be the Srixon Q-Star. They do a yellow for sure, and maybe an orange/yellow too.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

On 6/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks, jlukes, but it looks like Snell is still out of product and not shipping anytime soon.

I love the Maxfli Tour ball and think it is very comparable to the ProV1 (I actually get more distance and better feel). But I am miserly with my golf spending, so I may be a little biased. 😀

On 6/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Given my current skill level, should I even be entertaining a Pro V1-like ball? Maybe I need to dial-back my enthusiasm and find something else like the ones I am already playing?

I agree with Kirkland brand 3 piece balls from Costco. $25 for two dozen. Best ball for that money in my experience. Even if things don’t improve on the course, you’re cutting losses by 75%. 😳. Lessons from a pro might save you $ in the long run too. 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, cnosil said:

I’d look here and compare balls of a similar firmness and cover to the prov1.  Maxfli tour might be a good option. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-golf-ball-quality-comparison-tool/

that said, if you are losing 2 dozen balls a round, you might want to consider lessons and/or just playing bargain balls until you can control the ball direction a little better.  Or was the course that tough and you don’t normally loose that many?  

Hi! As a 61 year old that started 4 years ago, on a torn left MCL, BTW, I might suggest hitting just punch shots ( shots with 1/2 back swing, & focusing on SOLID contact with the back of the ball ). This drill should eliminate ALL the mistakes that can, and will occur on a full takeaway downswing. Once you are hitting ball first, taking divot after contact & compressing the ball, try going from 9 o'clock backswings to 10, 11, 12 etc. I was given this drill by my 2 handicap neighbor. I actually buy a sleeve of 3 Titleist  AVX Yellow Balls each Spring, with the goal of ending the season with at least 1 left. Remember, finding the fairway, even on a 180 yard drive is far more desirable than swinging for the fences!

Also, some lessons would help significantly, IMHO, if you are losing that many balls.  😉

Took up the game late in life.

I really don't think the proV1 is for you since they're much firmer than what you've been playing.  I'm 73 and have only been playing for 8 years. Started out playing most anything soft, then saw the MGS golf ball tests and switched to the ProV1. Played them for a couple years and lost just as many of them as the softer balls and saw no change in distance. A few months ago tried the Callaway Supersofts and within a few games I hit my longest drive ever of 240 yards!  I'm sticking with these!

If you are looking to play ProV1s then the lesser expensive alternative is refurbished balls they will not hold up as much as the new ones but they will still perform similarly.  Other options are www.cutgolf.co as their blue golf ball performs pretty well and is a great value at $19.99/ dozen and the DC is available in Yellow at $29.99/ dozen.  I am a traditionalist and prefer white golf balls but for the money the Blue is super solid.

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"

I was really surprised by the Maxfli Tour X 2019,  which you can get at Dick’s for $50 for 2 dozen. I felt distance and spin around the green was reasonably comparable to the ProV1. I thought the Maxfli Tour’s were too soft for me. Although you can get the Tour’s in yellow or green I believe. Haven’t tried the new models. 

Otherwise, Snell or LostGolfBalls is the way to go. 

Costco ball is your best bet until you improve your direction.  the ball launches well off the tee, but you sacrifice some greenside spin.  I always pick up 2 dozen to play the late fall, winter & early spring seasons around chicago.  Got really tired of losing $4 balls under leaves or plugged in the soft ground.

If you want closer to ProV.  Dick's is running a 2 for $55 on the 2019 balls (won't make a difference to you) 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maxfli-2019-tour-golf-balls-19maxmmxfltrglsswgbl/19maxmmxfltrglsswgbl

ROGUE ST MAX 9* - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite stiff

GBB Epic Pro Tour 15* - Matrix Radix HD 7 stiff

Cleveland Mashie 20.5* - Miyazaki 5G Stiff

PXG O211 4-G - Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Callaway Mac Daddy CB 54* & 58* - KBS shafts.

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - PXG Multi-Material M16 Putter Shaft plumbers neck 

I have a co-worker that lives on a course, and mows the greens on the weekend. His son picks balls from the course, separates them by brand and model and year when possible. Co-worker will bring me 3-4 dozen ProV1's, I pick the ones I want, and pay his kid $20/dozen. I pick the best condition and newest version (you can tell by the alignment arrows). I haven't played a new ball in 8 years. All the other comments hold true; lessons especially. Eventually you won't lose nearly as many and golf will be more fun!

It's not about how well you're playing, but who you're playing with.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ball you are playing if you are losing so many.  I'm new to golf myself and have had rounds where I lost plenty of balls... I try to buy "4A" graded used balls.  I have had great luck with "jerrysgolfballs" on eBay... With the 4A graded balls, they are near-mint condition and you can generally buy them in lots of 48-100 balls at a time for around 75 cents per ball.  

Good poor man's ball - try the new Top Flite Gamer you can order at Dick's Sporting. Under $25 dozen, it's a good deal.  Good luck & Keep Hitting it well! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

On 6/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Given my current skill level, should I even be entertaining a Pro V1-like ball? Maybe I need to dial-back my enthusiasm and find something else like the ones I am already playing?

I am plagued with the same issue and IMO playing a cheaper ball leads me to worrying less. That in itself allows me to enjoy the game more than a ProV would. Recently I’ve been playing the Kirklands, which at about $1 a ball is a solid “cheap mans ProV” 

D - TM M3 - Okazaki Black tie ES

4-GW - Wilson Staff M3 

Garage Sale Vokeys 

Cleveland Putter 

Trust me - you don't even want a poor man's Pro v1.   For anyone losing 24 balls in a round spin is your enemy and all tour level balls spin for too much for someone battling a big slice (seems probable in your case).  Likewise it is highly unlikely your skill level has progressed to the point where you can take advantage of tour performance whether it be workability, high compression off of a driver, or spin and touch around the greens.  I can guarantee your playing Pro V1's is hurting your game more than helping it at this stage, from a Specs point of view Pro V1/Prov1x and the competing premium balls cater to a very small portion of recreational golfers (maybe 5-10%) from a pure physics point of view.  Their marketing will certainly convince you otherwise of course.

Snell, Vice, Kirkland are all decent quality what I might consider 'off brand' choices, but to be frank you should look for the best sale you can find until you are well under losing maybe a sleeve every time out.  We all started where you are now, when paying for balls almost outstripped paying green fees and until you can control the ball the ball itself is a bit less important than simply managing the budget.  I also highly recommend looking for balls that are both "soft" with "low spin" rates until you can gain more control.  You will feel the difference when you hit a soft ball clean in the center of the face and will start to gain more control.   A low compression, low spin ball will keep you out of the deep stuff more off the tee, will provide longer distance, and that will help make the game much more enjoyable sooner.

There are several very good used golf ball web sites who also have specials from time to time, which can be important since shipping cost eats away at some of the savings of buying Grade AAAA - essentially flawless 'used' balls.

I suggest your next purchase is a minimum 15' long ball retriever and while you are fishing yours out of the lake grab a few more.  This may prove the best way for you to try out a lot of new brands until you find something you like.  

Whatever brand you settle on- avoid buying new or at least non-on-sale balls until the attrition rate falls below 3 ball per round.  good luck and enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Phuntdental said:

I am plagued with the same issue and IMO playing a cheaper ball leads me to worrying less. That in itself allows me to enjoy the game more than a ProV would. Recently I’ve been playing the Kirklands, which at about $1 a ball is a solid “cheap mans ProV” 

Part of stress free golf. If you're worried about losing $3-$4 every time you swing that's going to be a big distraction from why you're out there to have fun. Play cheap balls until your losing one or less per round.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Excuse me for asking this, but, why would you believe you'll need the performance of ProV-1 for your current golf game ?

You just reached 230 on your drive ( total distance ) and you're losing more than 10 golf balls on a more challenging golf course.......  Sounds like you need to practice more with the lessons and stay on the driving range often.

A lesson in course management implied with your ability of golf probably will reduce your errant shots and you'll need a golf ball which will give you more distance.

I seldom look into others golf bag since there be "new" model coming out each year from all the OEM ( some with multiple release of new models annually ).  What will catch my attention is when someone executed a beautiful golf shot.  I'd love to know which club they use.  Surprisingly, Usually not the top brands of golf clubs and golf balls.

However, if the -show and tell- is important for your golf game, by all means use whatever pleases you.  Pro V1 is not the most expensive golf ball there is ,

The Top Flite Gamer is a decent ball at a great price.  I'm a 10 handicap but there are days when I am snap hooking the ball off the tee and will lose a couple.  You don't feel too bad when you are paying $20 a dozen.

I would go with the Taylormade TP5 Practice Balls at golfdiscount.com.  I believe you can get them for 19.99.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"