TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Poor-Man's Pro V1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Greetings, fellow Spyers . . . 

So my game is improving (hit my first 230yd drive on Father's Day!) however my ability to lose a ridiculous amount of golf balls in any given round remains the same!

I play red and yellow golf balls so it's easier for me to find and ID mine on the course, and have been playing the Srixon Soft Feel, Bridgestone e6 Soft, and the Taylor Made Soft Response (I am a 59yo "beginner") Played my first Pro V1's this weekend (courtesy of my son-in-law) and was wondering if there was such a thing as the "Poor-Man's" Pro V1 so I can play those and am not throwing away $50-$100 per round (yes, I lost 2dz golf balls in the high weeds this weekend.)

Thanks All . . .

Congratulations!  230 is awesome. Just straighten out the approach shots. Losing balls is part of the game. Check with lost golf balls.com. Good deals on all used brands of various conditions 

Srixon Q-Star Tour are great. 70 compression, which is much better than the 90+ of Pro V1. Buy them on sale, they just had buy 2 get one free. They also have a red/yellow split, like the old Ping balls.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 6/21/2021 at 1:43 PM, cnosil said:

you will get the best performance out of a tour level ball; both distance and spin control.   That said based on you game description I personally would look at less expensive balls; maybe even used, since you lose so many.  Distance should be about the same with the biggest downgrade being iron and green side spin.  You can always switch once you get beater control of you shot dispersion. 

This..as cnosil said start off with cheaper balls whether used or new. You are going to lose a lot when you first get into the game. Maxfli soft flight are 2 dozen for $35 @ your local Dicks Sporting Goods store. Stock up on them.  Once you start keeping the ball mostly in the fairway then start experimenting with different balls and seeing which feels better to you and which handles better for approach shots and distance. No one ball is perfect for everyone so you will have to find the one that fits your game once your game becomes more consistent. As others have said, take lessons to become more consistent but best of all just have fun out there!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Agree with the Costco route…2 dozen 3-piece urethane balls for $25. Forget all of these non-urethane balls as they’re oranges in an apples comparison. For the price, value, performance and availability, Kirkland Signature 3-piece urethane cover golf ball v2.0 is your ball.

Driver: PXG 0211 Diamana S+

5W: Callaway Epic Max HZRDUS Smoke iM10

Hybrid: Cobra F8 22* One Length Aldila Rogue Pro

Irons: Ping G410 5 - LW AWT 2.0

Putter: Odyssey Exo Stroke Lab 7

Ball: SaintNine U-Pro 

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130s

1) Snell

2) Vice

3) oncore

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

tell your family, Christmas birthdays,father's days Etc Please golf balls be specific several different price points and/or gift certificates to continue lessons.

65 year old in Michigan

On 6/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Greetings, fellow Spyers . . . 

So my game is improving (hit my first 230yd drive on Father's Day!) however my ability to lose a ridiculous amount of golf balls in any given round remains the same!

I play red and yellow golf balls so it's easier for me to find and ID mine on the course, and have been playing the Srixon Soft Feel, Bridgestone e6 Soft, and the Taylor Made Soft Response (I am a 59yo "beginner") Played my first Pro V1's this weekend (courtesy of my son-in-law) and was wondering if there was such a thing as the "Poor-Man's" Pro V1 so I can play those and am not throwing away $50-$100 per round (yes, I lost 2dz golf balls in the high weeds this weekend.)

Thanks All . . .

Hi,

I would play the best ball at the best price. The Srixon z-star was on sale in Canada last week at half price. 28$ for a dozen, that's hard to beat for a premium ball. And I'm sure wherever you are that you can find theses kind of deals once in a while. The Costco option is definitely a good one too. I'm a decent player (8.8 index) and I refuse to pay 65$/dozen (in Canada) for Titleist balls.

I didn't read al the comments so hopefully this hasn't been said before...

-Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5 (Kai'Li Stiff shaft)

-5 wood: Cobra Aerojet (stiff shaft)

-Hybrids: Cobra F7 stiff shaft set at 19.5 and 23.5 degree

-Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 forged 5 to PW ( Project X LZ 6.5)

-Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50, 54 and 58 degree

-Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7 (33 inches)

I play between 70 to 80 rounds per year. Living in Alberta, Canada, our season is shorter and with work, that is all I can get in, but watch out when I retire...

P.S. The picture is from my favorite course so far.

I guess I'll answer by asking are you sure ProV1 is the ball for you?  Being that you're just starting out and donating lots of balls to the woods & water charities, I'd suggest a non-tour ball until you get your game established and can start to get the more subtle ball control differences. There are a number of options that are roughly half the cost.

I play with a guy in Yuma, AZ that is a 5 handicap and absolutely loves Titleist Velocity in the red and lime green colors.  He's on a budget and simply does not feel the tour level balls provide enough added performance to justify the expense.

Lastly, I just started using the Kirkland Performance + and like them... don't think they come in color though?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I know you are looking for something today and Snell is out of stock but I would definitely recommend circling back and trying them when they are back in stock.  They're a good price for a premium ball. 

Also, I wouldn't listen to the people saying, buy the cheap ball.  Buy the best ball that fits your game, that you can afford and afford to lose.  I've been on a quest to find a lower spinning ball myself.  I like the Snell and I currently play the MTB black but I would benefit from less spin from driver to wedge and am looking for something that fits the bill.  Problem is that pretty much leaves me with the AVX or the left dash proV1X.  I also don't want to spend that much on a dozen balls if I can help it.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM2 8° (turned down to 6°)

Woods: TaylorMade Sim2 15° 3W

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi 3 Hybrid 20°

Iron Set: Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-PW, GW

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 54° & 60°

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab One 

I've been playing golf a long time and I still don't enjoy losing golf balls. I play the Callaway Supersoft yellow ball and it has very good distance, decent spin around the greens and costs $20 a dz. I'd go with this ball for now.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

On 6/21/2021 at 12:39 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

So . . . I AM taking lessons, and I am losing less and less balls by the round, but when I play a really challenging private course like this weekend vs. some of the more forgiving public courses, I've yet to figure out how NOT to put my ball in the high grass/weeds and find those damn things!!! LOL (this was an anomaly)

I understand that you are just beginning and taking lessons which is a good thing. I also know that hitting balls on the range all the time gets boring and you want to get out on a course. I would suggest that you play the more forgiving courses for some time until you can keep the ball in play and play the correct tees.

1. You will enjoy the game more by playing these type courses, it gets very frustrating when you are hitting the ball in the woods, hazards or knee high grass.

2. I would not be concerned with trying to find a golf ball similar to a Pro V1 at this point. There are plenty of very good golf balls available for you to use without paying $35 -$45 per dozen and you will not notice the difference.

Continue to take the lessons and practice, this will help you achieve the goal of keeping the ball in play. Then you can move on to the more challenging courses.

Good Luck

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 6/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Given my current skill level, should I even be entertaining a Pro V1-like ball? Maybe I need to dial-back my enthusiasm and find something else like the ones I am already playing?

I was scrolling down to see who would be the first person to say this. And it was you! I believe you said you are a 59 yo beginner, and just hit a 230 yard drive as your longest ever. This alone tells me that you SHOULD NOT be even thinking about playing the ProV1. ProV1 is a high compression golf ball for players with a HIGH swing speed. It is very unlikely you have the swing speed (110+ mph) to take advantage of the ProV1. I'm about your age, have been playing for 50 years and can still pop it out there 260-280 on my best hits. My swing speed is in the 90s. Your game (and your pocketbook) will benefit from a lower compression ball. There are many VERY GOOD ones available at half or less the cost of the ProV1. Just google "best lower compression golf balls" and you will get lots of good suggestions. Now maybe you are super fit and athletic, and a year from now when you start shooting low 80s, and driving the ball 300 yards, you may revisit this question. But for now, I say save yourself some money and hit any decent lower compression ball and you will be just fine. 

If you are just beginning, forget Pro V1 comparisons. I would refer you to many in house specials at Golf Galaxy/Dick's along with specials from manufacturers. 

Golf Galaxy always has a special section of price point deals-Callaway Diablo -2 dozen for $40; Srixon currently has a buy 2 dozen get a dozen free on some of their models; 

Shop around and try different brands-my buddy has gone from a Titliest Pro V1 appetite to a Titliest Velocity and they come in a variety of colors-he loves them and he was never able to generate the clubhead speed to take advantage of the Pro V1.

Good luck!

Golf Gear Head

9 hours ago, dnett said:

It is very unlikely you have the swing speed (110+ mph) to take advantage of the ProV1. 

6 hours ago, Riverboat said:

That ball was designed for the same high speed, precise swing as the shafts and blades mentioned above. That ball is not maximizing YOUR game. Slower, less precise swings will benefit from lower compression balls. 

I would suggest he not play the ball due to his currently playing ability and amount of lost balls/cost factor.

Indicating that the ball doesn’t work for slower swing speeds is just an incorrect statement.   Perhaps you should look at the LPGA players; where swing speeds average in the mid 90s, yet they still play play ProV1s. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, Riverboat said:

The ONLY people who benefit from prov1 and other tour balls are single digits with 100mph plus swing speeds. 

Already been debunked by people on the course in various threads on this and other forums but also in the 2019 mgs ball study

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, Riverboat said:

And proven by other studies elsewhere. You believe what you wanna believe to make you feel better about tossing away that money. Pro balls are for pros and suckers. 

Based on any study I have ever seen this is very bad advice so I'm jumping in and calling you on it.  Where's the study that begins to suggest that a Urethane ball doesn't benefit golfers?  

You are certainly entitled to hold your own opinions and purchase whatever ball you might please.  But if you wish to make a blanket statement as if it were fact you need proof especially on a website that has published a study that tested over 10K shots and suggests the opposite of what you're stating.  You haven't even begun to answer the question of why LPGA players with an average driver of swing speed of 93 mph play urethane balls.  It's their lively hood.  That choice in and of itself debunks your theory.  So let's see the link to the study that you've mentione that we might check it out and have all the facts on the table.

To the original poster I would agree with what Csnoil and others have written - if you're loosing a lot of balls you may wish to go cheap for now - If you have access to Costco though going with the Ksig is cheap and you are getting used to playing with urethane.  It's also easy enough to go to Dicks and buy their Maxfli Tour ball which is extremely affordable.

Best wishes on improving your game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

22 hours ago, release said:

Excuse me for asking this, but, why would you believe you'll need the performance of ProV-1 for your current golf game ?

You just reached 230 on your drive ( total distance ) and you're losing more than 10 golf balls on a more challenging golf course.......  Sounds like you need to practice more with the lessons and stay on the driving range often.

A lesson in course management implied with your ability of golf probably will reduce your errant shots and you'll need a golf ball which will give you more distance.

I seldom look into others golf bag since there be "new" model coming out each year from all the OEM ( some with multiple release of new models annually ).  What will catch my attention is when someone executed a beautiful golf shot.  I'd love to know which club they use.  Surprisingly, Usually not the top brands of golf clubs and golf balls.

However, if the -show and tell- is important for your golf game, by all means use whatever pleases you.  Pro V1 is not the most expensive golf ball there is ,

It's not that I believe that I need a Pro V1, it's that I don't know if I should be playing a Pro V1 in regards to what advantage (or disadvantage) I have with that ball.

And for those who keep saying "take lessons", please read that I have been taking lessons, that on a regular (public, less challenging) course I am losing about 4 - 6 balls in 18 holes. This 24 was anomaly. And thanks to everyone for their advice. I will continue to play anything I have in the garage until I run out and then I'll look at others, based in part from all the great advice I have been receiving here! 

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

Think I already asked this, but any thoughts on any of the Volvik balls for me? They are running some sales now as well.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

37 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

And proven by other studies elsewhere. You believe what you wanna believe to make you feel better about tossing away that money. Pro balls are for pros and suckers. 

Can you provide the study’s that shows differently than what MGs ball study shows your position?

There have been several members on here have done in person ball fittings that have been fit into a ball that nobody looking at their swing speed or other data would say that ball would fit them. Iirc @Golfspy_CG2 was fit into the prov1x or left dash version of it.

I don’t have to believe what want as I know what works.

I have been to multiple ball fittings for bridgestone and have done a titleist one in person and recently online. I know what ball works for me and I sort throw money away by playing balls that don’t work for me. I also test new editions of other tour level balls when they are released to compare and see if there is a better option.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Think I already asked this, but any thoughts on any of the Volvik balls for me? They are running some sales now as well.

Volvik balls aren’t bad balls.  The one you asked about isnt like a prov, but it is adequate.   Lots of Players on the lpga tour play Volvik and they are one of the long drive sponsors 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

32 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

It's not that I believe that I need a Pro V1, it's that I don't know if I should be playing a Pro V1 in regards to what advantage (or disadvantage) I have with that ball.

And for those who keep saying "take lessons", please read that I have been taking lessons, that on a regular (public, less challenging) course I am losing about 4 - 6 balls in 18 holes. This 24 was anomaly. And thanks to everyone for their advice. I will continue to play anything I have in the garage until I run out and then I'll look at others, based in part from all the great advice I have been receiving here! 

I will say that as much respect as I have for ggarner I agree with the MGS axiom of picking a ball and playing it for the season.  I've done this forever and a day - well prior to the existence of MGS.  Your strategy of using what's in the garage first makes perfect sense - then instead of buying dozens try some sleeves of stuff, find one in the your price range that you like and stick with that one for a while.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

When I was new in the game, The budget golf balls were the Top Flite, Not much other choices besides the Ram, Ping , and Titleist.   played the top Flite until I got below 15 index.  Nothing wrong with any golf balls if I was mindful of how the golf balls would react  around the greens.  Allow for the extra movement with the hard two piece golf balls had worked out well.

Although I had never lose more than a couple of golf balls per round back then, the premium golf balls were balata cover and wound center.  A thin shot would put a big smile on the golf ball.  I just didn't have the heart to play a $3.20 golf ball ( equivalent to today's $10.00 ).  Some of the guys I knew will toss the Titleist after a few holes even if the cover was still good.  Their reason was the golf ball would be out of rounds....then again, they received their golf balls at no cost from the OEM as part of their professional status.  I had to pay for mine.

I was luck, since one of the local brick and mortar golf specialty store will sell the golf balls by the sleeves.  Usually they'll surcharge 30% per golf ball from the price of a dozen.  I would get a sleeve of the brands I'd like to try and find out on the golf course of whether I'd like to get a dozen later.

There is no secret in golf to reach your personal best in this game.  It can not be rushed.  Practice and play will be the ticket to reach one's personal best.  Although, I did see a few cases of golfers not able to over come the score of 90, no matter how much they played and practiced.

However, nothing wrong if they could extract the pleasure of playing this game.  Not everyone could reach the single index.  Either they could not devote the time and financial commitment or perhaps this is just not the right competition sports for them.

As long as one could enjoy the game, and play it within one's financial means... why not ?  It certainly is one of the best sports we could get into without mortgage our house . 

9 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

I liked the Volvik 3 piece with matte color.  Their MSRP is not cheap.  But quality golf balls if you could find them with discount.

22 hours ago, Riverboat said:

The ONLY people who benefit from prov1 and other tour balls are single digits with 100mph plus swing speeds.   The rest are kidding themselves and feeding their own ego playing those balls.   Slower swing speeds (that's you and me and virtually everyone else our age) can't compress balls that hard, so gain none of the benefits of them.   Softer balls will be better for your aging skeleton and will perform much better for you at any handicap level.   FYI, my handicap runs between 4 and 6 from the regular men's trees and I never play anything harder than a 50 compression and never spend more than 20 bucks a dozen, absolute max.   Ignore the ball snobs and play what is appropriate for your age and game. 

This is such an incorrect post, but I can tell by tone you won't listen, so I wont bother.

I just want the rest of members to know not to give this post any credence. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

21 hours ago, dkoenig said:

I know you are looking for something today and Snell is out of stock but I would definitely recommend circling back and trying them when they are back in stock.  They're a good price for a premium ball. 

Also, I wouldn't listen to the people saying, buy the cheap ball.  Buy the best ball that fits your game, that you can afford and afford to lose.  I've been on a quest to find a lower spinning ball myself.  I like the Snell and I currently play the MTB black but I would benefit from less spin from driver to wedge and am looking for something that fits the bill.  Problem is that pretty much leaves me with the AVX or the left dash proV1X.  I also don't want to spend that much on a dozen balls if I can help it.

This post unlike the one I quoted above, is full of great information.  Play the best ball that you can afford that fits you is as simple as it can be.   If someone chooses not to pay the price of a Pro V or Chrome Soft...etc, that's fine.   The MTB is a fine ball as mentioned, as is the OnCore ELIXR.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm going to offer a bit of crazy idea to some, but for someone who hasn't done a lot of ball testing or is still searching for their best ball it could be the right play, and that's the idea of trial packs.

I know that limits you a bit OP to DTC brands, but you can find yourself a heck of a deal from the DTC brands and still get an awesome product. For example, Vice offers for 20 bucks 5 2 ball sleeves with one ball style per sleeve. I think Snell does a split dozen with half being MTB Black and Half being MTB-X. Cut golf offers trial sleeves of the DC, their best ball for 9.95 and I think Oncore still does the free trial sleeve for going through their online fitting, you just pay shipping.

Could give you some other options than the big box store and the numerous options even in a store.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

4 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

I just learned about this company/source for golf balls on another thread.  This would allow you to still play better rated balls if you don't mind some minor marks.

Premium Used Golf Balls - Lostgolfballs.com

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think objective characteristics only go so far until you get in the course. I thought I would hate the feel of the vice pro plus and I love them as opposed to the prov1x which I actually don’t love. In my opinion grab a stash of a few different balls and see what you like or dislike. It can’t hurt to try a few and get a feel. It’s all about having fun on the course and making the game easier

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I have seen several mention the Kirkland balls,I thought the current version wasn’t very good? 

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson