Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Left hand Bowed, Pain in hand

Working with a new instructor who i cant see for 6 weeks. I play 4-5 times a week so any help will be great. I was a very steep player. working on bowed wrist like DJ, and waiters tray feeling in right hand at top. 

Last few weeks my left hand has hurt a lot. Noticed wear on my glove is now near butt end of grip. I think with this left bowed wrist position my fingers are now loose between pinky/ring finger and palm. As a result at the top of my swing i'm squeezing tight my grip. This is wearing my golf glove out but more importantly causing tight muscles at impact causing pain/issues.

My old steep swing there was never space at the top between pinky/ring of my lead hand and my palm. Does this bowed wrist require a different grip?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

As someone who bows their wrist without intent no matter how much I try to get rid of it....You need to see someone who is familiar with Mike Adams biomechanics.  He will see what kinds of grips are best for you (or that you do naturally) then measure your forearm lengths and diagnose from there.  My bowed wrist comes from a tightening of my left hand due to hardly and pressure in my right hand(right handed, trail hand)....

Are you holding the face off from hooking?

• Cobra RadSpeed,Set 8.5
  • Callway BB 4W 15*
  • Cobra  Forged Tec 18*
  • Cobra Forged Tec 2020 4-GW , 4*Flat, Standard
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  SW: RTX 54*
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  LW: Full Face RTX 58*
  • Scotty Cameron Putter: NP2

In general the proper grip is to be in the fingers in both hands. The lead hand should be around the bottom of the finger and the trail hand in between the top and middle knuckle. The heel pad should sit on top of the grip.

Bowing the wrist shouldnt require a different grip. If you are losing contact then it’s not sitting properly in your hands

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

Lovely.

• Cobra RadSpeed,Set 8.5
  • Callway BB 4W 15*
  • Cobra  Forged Tec 18*
  • Cobra Forged Tec 2020 4-GW , 4*Flat, Standard
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  SW: RTX 54*
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  LW: Full Face RTX 58*
  • Scotty Cameron Putter: NP2

• 2 weeks later...

There aren't too many PGA tour players who bend their wrists like DJ and Rahm at the top of the backswing . There is a golf instructor called Jon Sinclair who has the worlds largest database of PGA tour player 3D data (literally hundreds of players ).  He says that the majority of tour players have an extended or flat lead wrist at the top of the backswing and players like DJ and Rahm are 'outliers' .  If you are getting pain in your lead wrist , then maybe its an unnatural movement that you are forcing your wrist to do.

Edited by Wildthing

21 hours ago, Wildthing said:

There aren't too many PGA tour players who bend their wrists like DJ and Rahm at the top of the backswing . There is a golf instructor called Jon Sinclair who has the worlds largest database of PGA tour player 3D data (literally hundreds of players ).  He says that the majority of tour players have an extended or flat lead wrist at the top of the backswing and players like DJ and Rahm are 'outliers' .  If you are getting pain in your lead wrist , then maybe its an unnatural movement that you are forcing your wrist to do.

It might not bow at the top, but it shall bow. Your not coming into impact with a cupped left wrist. 

image.png.f8445427b03e5b4d258a2d7481216618.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!