TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Open Championship 2021

Shankster

6692A5E3-F114-4CC2-8C7E-869309DCE8DF.jpeg.a192137fdd25d1f5239647db398774d7.jpeg

Sorry @fixyurdivot I have to take this one. The major I look forward to the most is back!!!  On one one of my favorite Venues too!! With Rahm winning the US Open, he is my sure bet for The Open.  Cannot wait to wake up early and catch the best golf around!

It’s a month early, but who cares, let’s get The Open party started!!

I'll take Brooks.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Can't wait for this and it will be so hard to pick. Given the stories with Hideki at the Masters getting his first, then Phil's resurgence at the PGA and Rahms first. I will go with another resurgence at a Major so because of that I pick either Spieth or Rory. Kinda heart picks too, but would make for another great story and the final major of the season. If not them another first time winner would be nice to see. Maybe a young gun like Xander, Hovland or Scheffler and of course Finau who would be great to see win his first. Either way I expect a awesome leaderboard much like at the US Open. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I mean, I can't believe I'm the first to reference this guy, but Louis seems a good value to be there in the end. Guy has been money as of late. Also Rickie has played Opens well and with a child on the way maybe some perspective shifts gets him over the hump.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

15 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I mean, I can't believe I'm the first to reference this guy, but Louis seems a good value to be there in the end. Guy has been money as of late. Also Rickie has played Opens well and with a child on the way maybe some perspective shifts gets him over the hump.

Is Louis a scare to win though? I really like him and think he will be close to the top of the leaderboard, but can he close another one? No denying his talent, but I think he is more of s lock for a top 5 with no real scare of winning. Would love to be wrong, but just how i see him. 

Fowler winning would make my season! Hope it happens, but not playing as much and missing 2 majors could go either way. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Is Rick even going to be in the field??

Im looking forward to not falling asleep at 12:15am when Rahm is on the 14th hole like I did on Sunday!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Rahm might still be drunk sipping from his US Open trophy, and I would be too. Is Oosthuizen going to break through and win his second claret jug? Will Bryson open with a 44 and turn it around? Maybe the R&A will put B and B together in a pairing. Hopefully there's a good app I can stream on. I'll be volunteering at the US junior Amateur that weekend trying to see who could be a future Open champ so I won't have the TV on.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

lots of guys picking Rickie, as usual. 

i’ll double down on a call i made a few months ago:

Rickie Fowler will not win again on the PGA tour

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Now that I am educated about Rickie.  It would be a perfect time for him to silence everyone again.  He generally plays links golf very well.  Although, he does appear to be searching for something.  

no blades in the bag… he usually prefers micro machine irons.

Rickie found what he was looking for, his wife is now pregnant!

He will win again, it may just be awhile.....

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 6/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, Shankster said:

6692A5E3-F114-4CC2-8C7E-869309DCE8DF.jpeg.a192137fdd25d1f5239647db398774d7.jpeg

Sorry @fixyurdivot I have to take this one. The major I look forward to the most is back!!!  On one one of my favorite Venues too!! With Rahm winning the US Open, he is my sure bet for The Open.  Cannot wait to wake up early and catch the best golf around!

It’s a month early, but who cares, let’s get The Open party started!!

Hey, no fair cherry picking Alan 😉.  I think we'll see a yank take it this year... not sure who just yet.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 6/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Is Louis a scare to win though? I really like him and think he will be close to the top of the leaderboard, but can he close another one? No denying his talent, but I think he is more of s lock for a top 5 with no real scare of winning. Would love to be wrong, but just how i see him. 

Fowler winning would make my season! Hope it happens, but not playing as much and missing 2 majors could go either way. 

I’m with you, Rickie or Jason would be a great👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

16 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

lots of guys picking Rickie, as usual. 

i’ll double down on a call i made a few months ago:

Rickie Fowler will not win again on the PGA tour

Hope your wrong, always liked the kid.  
He’s no Jon Rahm but did has had his moments.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Hope your wrong, always liked the kid.  
He’s no Jon Rahm but did has had his moments.

me too. i’m not rooting against him. i like rickie too; i just don’t think he’s gonna win again. there’s been 0 competitive fire since he took on a stable of corporate sponsors and got married. 

and that’s not a judgement. Rickie set himself up for several lifetimes and is a multiple time tour winner. we should all be so lucky. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

31 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

me too. i’m not rooting against him. i like rickie too; i just don’t think he’s gonna win again. there’s been 0 competitive fire since he took on a stable of corporate sponsors and got married. 

and that’s not a judgement. Rickie set himself up for several lifetimes and is a multiple time tour winner. we should all be so lucky. 

You’re right about the fire.  I believe  Rickie is competitive, wants to win but his personality is a bit laid back, kinda like late 60’s early 70’s cool.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

My third favorite tournament, so I’m looking forward to it. I like to see Thomas, Hovland or Fowler win, but I’m happy for anyone who has the game that week as long as it’s not Bryson, Sergio or Holmes. My picks don’t change often…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Usually the guys who play the Scottish Open the week before are better prepared for the conditions and I suspect Royal St Georges is going to be playing firm similar to The Renaissance so bombers maybe not have such a big advantage. Has Rickie even qualified?

For me I would want Robert McIntyre to do well but winner maybe Spieth.

List of US entries to the Scottish Open.

image.png.bf93b58386ab61cb8c18625cc06979e7.png

WIMB

My favorite week and championship of the year!

Given the extraordinary Open last held in Sandwich, I'm pulling hard for Lee Westwood to get his major championship. Darren Clarke did it in 2011, I think Westy can do it in 2021!

Royal St. Georges is somewhat unique among links courses in the UK. Elevated tee boxes present a challenge with the cross winds not typically found at most flatter links courses. It typically plays more like a linksy course in the Irish countryside. Jon Rahm won the Irish Open in 2019 at Lahinch so I think that bodes well for him in Sandwich. My heart screams Westy, my head tells me to calm down, Rahm is the answer.  Besides, now that Rahm has his major championship, I think he is going to win them in bunches. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

My favorite week and championship of the year!

Given the extraordinary Open last held in Sandwich, I'm pulling hard for Lee Westwood to get his major championship. Darren Clarke did it in 2011, I think Westy can do it in 2021!

Royal St. Georges is somewhat unique among links courses in the UK. Elevated tee boxes present a challenge with the cross winds not typically found at most flatter links courses. It typically plays more like a linksy course in the Irish countryside. Jon Rahm won the Irish Open in 2019 at Lahinch so I think that bodes well for him in Sandwich. My heart screams Westy, my head tells me to calm down, Rahm is the answer.  Besides, now that Rahm has his major championship, I think he is going to win them in bunches. 

I would be happy if Westy finally punched that ticket, but like you said and I mentioned Rahm broke the major seal, they will be coming along at a good clip I do believe.

Very happy that a member of my club Deyen Lawson has qualified for his first major. It's been great to see him go from a 10 year old who was always working on his game to someone who's good enough to play in The Open. Hope he does well.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Jon Rahm's press conference. I really like this guy. He is conversational, smart, respectful, and I like his showing of emotion on the course. His conference followed Brooks Koepka and you can see the difference in likability.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:02 AM, Alf. S said:

Has Rickie even qualified?

Yes, Rickie is listed in the field.

JT or JR played OK last week maybe worth a punt. 

St George's usually throws up some unlikely winners last 2 being Darren Clarke and Ben Curtis. I'd forgotten the Thomas Bjorn melt down in 2003, -4 with 4 to play and dropped 4 strokes to lose it to Curtis, ouch!

WIMB

With the uptick in variant Covid (Delta), I'm a bit surprised they are allowing 30K fans in each day.

Yeap, me too,  it is no coincidence that the Euros 2020 were allowing crowds of 60,000 into Wembley and the infection rate has rocketed in London. 

WIMB