Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Square hands , not face

Hey guys. I struggle with a fade on my 3 wood, slice with my driver and straight push worth my irons (straight right). Usually caused by my open face. When I am on my game and try to close my clubface to the point where I "try to hit it straight left" I can hit straight. But I am so inconsistent. 

Anyway, I was just swinging my club and a thought occured to me. Instead of trying to square my clubface, I am trying to square my hands (return the back of the left hand to square). I feel like this is easier to think about and easier to do because it's easier to control your hands (as they are closer to you and literally attached to you). Anyone else think of it this way?

3 hours ago, Kingofturtles said:

Hey guys. I struggle with a fade on my 3 wood, slice with my driver and straight push worth my irons (straight right). Usually caused by my open face. When I am on my game and try to close my clubface to the point where I "try to hit it straight left" I can hit straight. But I am so inconsistent. 

Anyway, I was just swinging my club and a thought occured to me. Instead of trying to square my clubface, I am trying to square my hands (return the back of the left hand to square). I feel like this is easier to think about and easier to do because it's easier to control your hands (as they are closer to you and literally attached to you). Anyone else think of it this way?

The hands control the club. The trail hand is basically equivalent to the club face. AMG and some other instructors talk about this. 

Several instructors talk about how the body/rotation controls is how the clubface squares. At p6 (club parallel to the ground) it’s a rotation of the body from there and a release of the club (see monte’s no turn cast video). 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 hours ago, Kingofturtles said:

When you "try to hit it straight left", are you really just getting the club face back to square?  Maybe a visit to a launch monitor to see how the club is being delivered to the ball.

As mentioned by @RickyBobby_PR, the club face should mirror the trail hand palm through impact.  That's assuming you don't have very strong grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I "try to hit the ball left" I am trying to over square my clubface. The feeling of trying to close my face enough that it hits left results (sometimes) in my face squaring perfectly enough. 

I've been looking into my idea and it seems people with fast swing speeds do this. Dustin Johnson does it. Brooks does it. Really I am just setting my impact earlier in my swing by turning my hands (like I am going to backhand the ball with my left hand. )

Edited by Kingofturtles

2 hours ago, Kingofturtles said:

When I "try to hit the ball left" I am trying to over square my clubface. The feeling of trying to close my face enough that it hits left results (sometimes) in my face squaring perfectly enough. 

I've been looking into my idea and it seems people with fast swing speeds do this. Dustin Johnson does it. Brooks does it. Really I am just setting my impact earlier in my swing by turning my hands (like I am going to backhand the ball with my left hand. )

Those two have very different swings and their grip and what they do and and they impact are matchups to their swing and where the club is. DJ holds off his swing more than others and Brooks actually has a stall in his swing.

Looking at what they are doing and using hat to justify what to do in the swing is dangerous. 

The lead hand going thru impact is actually moving from a bowed condition to a cupped position. Again look into Monte Scheinblum no cast turn video about this

The bod/mind are going to react to where the club face is. Trying to manipulate the hands is a case for bad swings. Your issues of balls that go to the right is the effect of what’s going on in the swing. Addressing the fundamentals of a good and consistent grip, a good setup followed by proper sequencing is going to lead to better contact and more consistent ball flight.

Finding a good instructor to look at your swing and getting drills to help this is your best path rather than trying to manipulate your hands to do the work.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

You know. Now that I think of it I am not sure bowed wrist is the right way to explain what I am doing. Basically at address your clubface is square and the back of your hand more or less points at your target. Now when you go up to the top of your backswing the back of your hand is facing more or less straight to the right of your target. If you were to leave the back of your hand facing this way on the downswing your clubface would be wide wide open, like a knife. But ideally you want the back of your left hand to be back close to it's original spot where it faces the target, which would square the face. I often can't get back to this spot. So my idea is at the top of my backswing, square the back of my hand before the downswing so it's already set. 

If you see in my first pick that's more or less my backswing end. Hard to replicate it right now. And in the second pic you can see one millisecond after I just turn my hand backward to try and face behind me which in turn will face the target at impact. 

I am just spitballin here. You guys are the experts 

PXL_20210624_184308278.jpg

PXL_20210624_184345207.MP.jpg

24 minutes ago, Kingofturtles said:

You know. Now that I think of it I am not sure bowed wrist is the right way to explain what I am doing. Basically at address your clubface is square and the back of your hand more or less points at your target. Now when you go up to the top of your backswing the back of your hand is facing more or less straight to the right of your target. If you were to leave the back of your hand facing this way on the downswing your clubface would be wide wide open, like a knife. But ideally you want the back of your left hand to be back close to it's original spot where it faces the target, which would square the face. I often can't get back to this spot. So my idea is at the top of my backswing, square the back of my hand before the downswing so it's already set. 

If you see in my first pick that's more or less my backswing end. Hard to replicate it right now. And in the second pic you can see one millisecond after I just turn my hand backward to try and face behind me which in turn will face the target at impact. 

I am just spitballin here. You guys are the experts 

PXL_20210624_184308278.jpg

PXL_20210624_184345207.MP.jpg

See my posts from Monte

in regard to what you are posting here it helps to see what the body is doing in terms of hip and shoulder rotation and where the arms are at.

More than likely the reason you can’t get back to that spot is your are in a bad position at the top of the swing because something you didn’t in the takeaway or if takeaway was good then your backswing did something and your body is reacting to where the clubface is and where it’s pointing and will compensate to try and get the shaft shallowed and attempt to hit the ball straight.

Its hard to see anything in the pics but it looks like your left arm is pinned against your chest and your right arm is behind the seam line of your shirt. That’s going to cause some kind of compensation and club manipulation

In general I agree with @RickyBobby_PR, your problems in squaring the club face properly are almost certainly caused by something you're not even considering.  I really recommend finding a decent pro, if you blunder around trying to solve this on your own, you're really likely to ingrain some kind of even more serious compensation. 

On 6/22/2021 at 11:43 AM, Kingofturtles said:

straight push worth my irons (straight right). Usually caused by my open face

A straight push is cause by an inside-out path combined with an open clubface.  A driver slice, if it starts out online, is caused by an out-to-in path combined with a face square to the target.  Another thing I strongly recommend is learning the modern ball flight laws, at least you'll understand what the clubhead is doing at impact.  You may not know how to fix it, but you'll have some valuable knowledge.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia