Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driving Ranges

I think they should have that as well, and some nicer ones do. I was talking with the new owner of the range near my office the other day. He opened up and roped off a new grass section that didn't exist under the old ownership, and was excited to see how things went. In his estimation, 70% of the folks he told about the grass section just shrugged their shoulders and mindlessly hit balls off the mats. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of other ranges are the same way, and they wouldn't see the value in taking the time to set up areas like that. The range nearest to my house has a practice bunker that I have yet to see anyone actually use in the 7+ years I've been going there. Same sort of situation to me.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

We struggle around here just having decent areas of grass to hit on. Some courses have great ranges but I can only think of 1 that actually has a GOOD grass area nevermind a non-level or rough area. There is one close by that’s members get to utilize a very nice chipping and sand area. They also have a great grass range but that’s it.

definitely something places should have

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

My cousin owns a range and they charge an extra 2 bucks to hit from the grass.  It cuts down on the cost to maintain as less people are mindlessly hacking it up.  But it's all level and mowed.  The range closest to me does have a bunker area that I've never seen used or maintained.  

I'm on with mats if they're good ones.  I just know what I am able to practice and what I'm not.  Half the time I do get "grass" ranges they more resemble a bare ground or sparse rough than a fairway or normal golf course lie.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I’m always looking to practice as real as possible . My hits off a mat look great 90% of the time. But put the ball on grass and I have to concentrate. 
I understand the need for courses and ranges to use mats so that the grass has a chance to recover from divots. 
good to know that some ranges do have areas that are not level. 
I struggle with shots I do not practice often, ball 2 to 6 inches below my feet. 

I think it's an okay idea. I've seen a few ranges that have the training aid that simulated hitting on a slope with the ball above your feet. I think it was more of swing plane training device but not a bad practice tool. I know they also sell incline trainers that they sell to ranges where the mat is on a solid base and you can basically put a 2x4 under any side of it to tilt you. Overall, I rarely see any dedicated areas for hitting beyond the normal flat mats and grass areas. 

Overall, I've always found that good swings on flat ground will translate to good shots off any lie or slope. If you really need practice on the slopes, I would just hit a couple extra balls of slopes the next time your out on the course. 

I like the idea of a multi lie driving range. If we have any engineers in the forum, maybe they can create a driving range hitting mat that can be programmed for multiple lies. I would like to see more technology introduced into outdoor ranges. 

Bag - :Ogio: Cart bag

Driver:cobra-small: - Cobra F8+  Tensei CK AV Blue 55

3 Wood :taylormade-small:-Taylormade RBZ 15 degree

4 hybrid -:taylormade-small: Taylormade RBZ 22 degree

5-p Irons -:titelist-small:Titleist AP2 714 - S300 Shaft

Approach Wedge -:taylormade-small: Taylormade Burner 2.0 

52, 56, 60 - Kirkland Wedge Set

Putter - Kirkland Putter or Odyssey White Hot Dart 

Ball - Kirkland v2

Pushing - :CaddyTek:  3 wheel swivel 

You can have one of these for $2,650

tuff-shot-trainer-768x767.jpg.faccef32fcde715be8ecc866f5ea4921.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 4 months later...

I feel like you could accomplish the same thing with a piece of plywood, yoga blocks and a mat, no?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

23 hours ago, vandyland said:

I feel like you could accomplish the same thing with a piece of plywood, yoga blocks and a mat, no?

Sure could if you don't mind dragging it to the range!  Unless you have a 200 yard back yard to practice your second shots.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Sure could if you don't mind dragging it to the range!  Unless you have a 200 yard back yard to practice your second shots.

Go big or go home right. I was looking at house and the best feature was a field out back about 375 yards long and 100 yards wide. Now that’s the dream right there. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

Go big or go home right. I was looking at house and the best feature was a field out back about 375 yards long and 100 yards wide. Now that’s the dream right there. 

My wife would fill that with pumpkins and maize if I closed my eyes to sleep.  I might just be able to squeeze in a chipping green and hitting net if I promised to behave, and dig it every year.