TESTERS WANTED! ×

NPG Episode 86: Does the Shaft REALLY Matter? ft. Mark Crossfield

38 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Maybe another good question to ask which can help clarify some of the discussion is have you ever used a shaft in any club that simply just did not work? Most of us have shafts we like or prefer, but what is your experience with shafts that simply don't and what head was used? 

The best example for me was the Callaway Epic irons with steelfiber shafts... honestly I could not hit the face. It was embarrassing with my coworkers when we got them to try. I tried various swings and was just awful, put in a Modus and started flushing them (added some of the longest irons I have ever tried), either way steel fiber and me not friends. The others or XP95's, I had them in my Mizuno JPX EZ Forged, but tried them in various other heads when I worked at a shop and just could not get consistent results with them.  

I have been fit into several different counterbalanced designed shafts however the tensei orange is one that doesn’t work. The dispersion side to side is unplayable and the feel is off. Tried in three different brands with same results. 

Hzrdus black is a shaft I could play but it’s not optimal in launch characteristics and not a preferred feel. The smoke black wasn’t an improvement. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

If only I could convince my wife that I need a set so I don’t hurt myself. Haha. Although I would probably prefer TGI kbs shafts since I love the feel of the tour steel

I tested those as well and they were in the middle of the pack for me, numbers and feel wise.  Accra/MCA/KBS/Recoil/SteelFiber. Funny thing is that if I repeated the fitting with these candidates a handful of times, good chance they don't stay in that order... except the SF which just felt like rebar to me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 months later...

My golf buddy just went to a golf department store looking for new irons. After a few shots the golf tec suggested a senior shaft. He balked at the idea, then the tec snuck a senior shaft into the mix and both ball flight and distance went up. Needless to say he bought the clubs. In this case, the shaft made a definite difference. So is this a case of being at the low end of the bell curve?

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

1 hour ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

My golf buddy just went to a golf department store looking for new irons. After a few shots the golf tec suggested a senior shaft. He balked at the idea, then the tec snuck a senior shaft into the mix and both ball flight and distance went up. Needless to say he bought the clubs. In this case, the shaft made a definite difference. So is this a case of being at the low end of the bell curve?

Hard to say as we would probably need to see the numbers from the fitting and understand what heads he was testing.  I personally can hit everything from ultralight shafts graphite to heavy steel in a variety of flexes.  Yes there are differences in performance between them but I can make them work somewhat after swinging them a few times.   But I have also had shaft head combos that don't work in any way shape or form.   An example was during 3 wood most wanted testing where I tried several shafts and ultimately had to put a lightweight regular flex shaft to get any reasonable performance from the club.  In that case it simply came down to a head that really didn't work for me.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Crossfield has long stated or been in the "the shaft doesn't matter camp".. I completely disagree and have seen in both personally and in others that it really does matter. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0