TESTERS WANTED! ×

To Glove or not to Glove

release

I had always wear a glove glove ever since I picked up a golf club.  Even though, my personal golf hero in my youth was Ben Hogan , whom never wore a golf glove.  

I guess I had been wearing golf glove because I started to develop calluses on my gloved hand, even with the protection of the glove.  Back in the days, driving range was quite affordable.  Often spent a whole day at the range and the practice green.  Between buckets of range balls and chipping / putting.  I like that better than hitting the bar scene like most of my friends and colleagues.  

Long story short, I had several surgeries in the last few years and had to quit golfing for a period of several years.  Tried to bounce back into the game after the first major surgery.  Golfed for a few years until the second major surgery which forced me to quit golf and work out for a long long time.  Until recently, my wife had suggested for me to take her to the driving range to sharpen up her game.  Maybe she couldn't stand me being home on my days off and we had been staying home mostly through this difficult time of pandemics, for over a year..... so I welcomed the idea of getting back onto the saddle again.

It went better than I had expected, as during the process of teaching and mentoring my wife's golf game; I had refreshed my own skill and the love for the game. 

One thing happened last week.  I had forgotten my golf glove because I had switched golf bag for we did not need the mini staff bag full of golf clubs just for going to the driving range.   I tried to hit a few golf balls while wife is going through her practice routine, after I discovered that I had left my golf glove in the other golf bag left at home.

Mind you, I was the kind of golfer who would feel "naked" without wearing a golf glove while swinging the golf club.  It's for the protection and mostly a habit.  As I was going through the practice session; without wearing golf glove as I used to; I had found  out that I really do not need the golf glove to hold on to the grip.  They are regular sized Lamkins full cords in the irons and Pure tour wrap with extra build-up in the driver and hybrids.  No extra wear on my fingers and hands going through about a large bucket of 120 range balls. in little over an hour of time.  I had no idea why I did not miss wearing the golf glove.  I had actually enjoyed swinging the golf clubs without wearing the golf glove.  Had more feel, better control.  Yeah, I know, I used to believe that I need to have a good grip on the golf club with a leather golf glove,  to execute a full golf swing.

This is totally new to me.  I think I will try again and see if this experience was a one time deal or that I should be leaving my golf glove at home.   

As almost everyone I met on the golf course all wear golf glove; I wonder why ?  Are we really the creature of following ?  we'll follow whoever market their golf equipment in front of our nose.  Like golf balls, drivers............

Well, my 2 cents worth is this. From what I can find out gloves were used to help with gripping the club when the old leather grips were used and they got wet or at least damp. The popularity really took off when Arine started wearing one, he looked "cool" so everyone wanted to wear one and even more so when Jack started wearing one. As you noted Ben never gave in. As for me I tried for a while when I started back at the game around 2000, but shortly stopped wearing one. It just seemed to just get in the way. Haven't wore one since. I believe that most people wear them out of habit and marketing. With the advanced compounds in grips these days I, for one believe you don't need a glove. Which is why I don't wear one.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

29 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

Well, my 2 cents worth is this. From what I can find out gloves were used to help with gripping the club when the old leather grips were used and they got wet or at least damp. The popularity really took off when Arine started wearing one, he looked "cool" so everyone wanted to wear one and even more so when Jack started wearing one. As you noted Ben never gave in. As for me I tried for a while when I started back at the game around 2000, but shortly stopped wearing one. It just seemed to just get in the way. Haven't wore one since. I believe that most people wear them out of habit and marketing. With the advanced compounds in grips these days I, for one believe you don't need a glove. Which is why I don't wear one.

Chris

I needed to take off my wedding ring without using the golf glove.  Wife gave me a funny look but never asked why.  Have to remember where I put the ring , so I won't lose it, and replace it to the finger after golfing.  This will be a new routine for me since I never take off the ring after the initial discomfort.

I know people who will either take off their wedding ring before bedtime or they won't wear it while traveling for business without their family.  I asked them the reason why, and got a half ass reply of "I'm allergic to the metal".  I guess they're allergic to their marriage also.  One guy is now divorced .    

The golf glove masked the ring very well and I never felt the ring under the glove.  However, with the bare hand, The ring got squeezed and moved around a little.  

1 minute ago, release said:

I needed to take off my wedding ring without using the golf glove.  Wife gave me a funny look but never asked why.  Have to remember where I put the ring , so I won't lose it, and replace it to the finger after golfing.  This will be a new routine for me since I never take off the ring after the initial discomfort.

I know people who will either take off their wedding ring before bedtime or they won't wear it while traveling for business without their family.  I asked them the reason why, and got a half ass reply of "I'm allergic to the metal".  I guess they're allergic to their marriage also.  One guy is now divorced .    

The golf glove masked the ring very well and I never felt the ring under the glove.  However, with the bare hand, The ring got squeezed and moved around a little.  

I started wearing a silicone wedding ring instead of my normal one and just wear that one permanently. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

i wear a glove for all full swings, but i take it off for any partial shots.

i also hardly ever wear my wedding ring. guess i’m allergic to my marriage 🙄

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I dont wear a glove. Just dont see the need MOST of the time. When its super hot and humid, my hands will sweat, and SOMETIMES ill put a glove on. Were talking a few holes outta 40 rounds or so. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I have smaller than average men's hands no pun intended 🤪 (I wear a M/L Cadet glove) and I feel that the glove gives me more gripping power not to say that I put on a dead grip on the club.  I feel with a glove on I can grip the club lighter and also keeps the club secure and voids twisting.  I tried going gloveless but just didn't care for the feel as my hands would start to get red and hurt....imho 🤙

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

When I took up golf in the early 1990's at 45 years old, I always wore a glove... everyone did, so I did too.  In the hot summer sun here, I had a tan right hand and a really white left hand.  Not really a cool look.  When I started gripping my own clubs, I went to a full corded grip and removed the glove.  Now I use Pure DTX grips and they are quite rough, and Yes, I have callouses.  I actually felt like I didn't have good contact with the club when I wore a glove; my hand wasn't in direct contact with the grip.  In the desert I don't need a glove; however, when I travel to a humid location I will take a glove or two for sweaty hands.

BTW, along with Ben Hogan, Freddie Couples also doesn't wear a glove.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me I, guess my response would be Two gloves, not to gloves 😂. I live in South Florida where summer golf you either will get rained on or are playing in >80% humidity. My hands are basically wet before getting to the first tee and grips just stay damp. Towel drying just doesn't get dry enough. So I actually play with two Footjoy rain grip gloves. 

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

I play without them all the time. I have no issues with corded grips, but if I play tour velvet grips and sweat too much I feel the club slipping. I destroy grips pretty quickly too. I also can’t wear my wedding ring when playing golf or lifting weights. It’s silicone, but I still take it off. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 3 months later...

I wear a glove for driver through 6-7 iron, no glove for the rest unless I'm in deep rough.  I don't wear my wedding ring while golfing.

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

No glove for me. I started using BestGrips Leather grips many years ago. Because these are super tacky, and get even tackier when they get wet, I haven’t used a glove in years. I prefer not to wear a glove for feel, but there is no need now. As far as the price of these grips, yes they are twice the price of Golf Pride MC grips, but last four times as long. These grips can be blown on and off for changing clubs, so economically the rubber grips have to be changed at least every year, gloves seem to last 3-4 rounds. I have some BestGrips that are 3 years old and still great.  

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I play with no glove and without my wedding ring because I wear no jewelry at all with golf clothes.

I wore a golf glove from the start when I took up golf because I thought that I was supposed to.

Then I discovered that I was more comfortable without one.

That limits my grip choices, however.  I only play wrap types like the Winn Excel or the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball