Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft comparison please, and some other questions...

DStar

After a bit of advice from the shaft experts!!

Current driver is a Cobra F6+ with Stiff Matrix Black Tie 67g, High kick point, 4.0 torque shaft.

I've been offered a HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g, low spin, 6.0 shaft at a really good price.

Not particularly looking to change but thought I'd get some info on what the differences may be from one to the other to see if there may be some value in changing. I've not had a driver fitting before but I'm on a tight budget so could be a cheap option for upgrade/improvement. 

The HZRDUS has a Cobra fitting (guessing the Cobra fittings are all the same) but does it matter if it's going on a LH head? 

I'm not used to these adjustable fittings so any info would be great.

Thanks, Steve

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

40 minutes ago, DStar said:

Current driver is a Cobra F6+ with Stiff Matrix Black Tie 67g, High kick point, 4.0 torque shaft.

I've been offered a HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g, low spin, 6.0 shaft at a really good price.

Not particularly looking to change but thought I'd get some info on what the differences may be from one to the other to see if there may be some value in changing. I've not had a driver fitting before but I'm on a tight budget so could be a cheap option for upgrade/improvement. 

The HZRDUS has a Cobra fitting (guessing the Cobra fittings are all the same) but does it matter if it's going on a LH head? 

Thanks, Steve

HZRDUS Yellow is higher balance point than the Black Tie, so it may make the head feel lighter and thus change how you swing (for better or for worse).

There are RH and LH collars.  If the adapter is RH and put in a LH head, then all of the adjustments would be opposite (ie set the adapter to +1 will actually move the loft -1).  Putting the club in the draw setting (upright) will actually make it flatter and more fade biased.

Thanks for the info 🙂 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

On 6/23/2021 at 7:29 AM, DStar said:

Thanks, Steve

Not an expert, but do tinker a bit.  I've been one to play the 75g extra stiff or 65g stiff shafts in driver. However, 3 weeks ago tried out a 50g stiff Evenflow (mid/high kick) shaft in driver and love it! I would have never thought of switching to that light of a driver shaft, however the feel of the driver head is much better and have not lost any distance, in fact i do believe I've gain some distance.  Accuracy also appears to be better with the lighter driver shaft. 

One other thing I've done to get a better feel is change the grip, going from a Golf Pride Jumbo Tour wrap at 75grams, to a SuperStroke Oversized at 50 grams and it really has given a great feel to the club.  Right now I'm tinkering with loft of driver, turning it down from 10 degrees to 9 degrees, with the lighter shaft I'm hitting 9 degree loft really well. 

My instructor told me with the lighter shaft going from 70g stiff to 50g stiff you will not be as fatigued by the end of the round, swinging a heavier club.  So far he's right and I walk 18 pretty much every day and in the heat. 

Good Luck Steve! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Spend the money on a fitting or a lesson instead. I like trying different shafts but it is not a cheap option way to improve or upgrade. It may work better for you than your current shaft but you won't know why.  If you have a swing issue and the new shaft seems to improve your drives if you fix your swing it may suddenly be a terrible shaft option for you.  Not sure I would consider the Smoke Yellow an upgrade either. I had the regular Yellow and loved it. When it broke I gave the Smoke Yellow a shot and hated it. A fitting or lesson feels expensive because you can't see it in your bag but add up lost balls, club experiments and money spent on rounds you wish you could forget when you play terrible and a fitting or lesson quickly becomes the cheapest option.

Short game savant, driving disaster...

10 hours ago, FmrCaddie13 said:

Spend the money on a fitting or a lesson instead. I like trying different shafts but it is not a cheap option way to improve or upgrade. It may work better for you than your current shaft but you won't know why.  If you have a swing issue and the new shaft seems to improve your drives if you fix your swing it may suddenly be a terrible shaft option for you.  Not sure I would consider the Smoke Yellow an upgrade either. I had the regular Yellow and loved it. When it broke I gave the Smoke Yellow a shot and hated it. A fitting or lesson feels expensive because you can't see it in your bag but add up lost balls, club experiments and money spent on rounds you wish you could forget when you play terrible and a fitting or lesson quickly becomes the cheapest option.

Great advice Caddie! I failed to mention before purchasing the Maverick 3w, I went through a fitting process which included trying out the Tour Edge 3 woods and different shafts.  Fitting resulted in Maverick 3 wood with an Evenflow shaft & that made a world of difference.  So when the opportunity arose to put an Evenflow shaft in driver, I tried it and liked it. But if it were not for the club fitting, I would not have tried that model shaft. Good call Caddie! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0