TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is/isn't going well for you in your 2021 golf season?

edingc

Worst club in the bag: Definitely driver. Some days it's on, most times it's not. Have a lesson on Friday - hope my instructor can figure it out. 

Worst swing issue; rotation - not facing target  when finishing. However, I think some of this has to do with my pulled hamstring. Yesterday was a particularly bad day for both as I was playing in our Club's 18 hole match play event. Couldn't hit the driver most of the time and when I did it was a block shot. FYI I lost the 18 hole match play event by 4 holes (and to a guy who's 50 yrs younger than me 😱)

On a brighter note - what's working well: Irons and short game. They're saving me! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

What's not working for me is my schedule 😞 Work has been absolutely slammed and almost all of my Wednesdays are filled with meetings. That's normally been my day to go golfing with my buddy and a rotating bunch of friends since that's his one day off during the week. Weekends have been filled with birthday parties, grad parties, parties that were supposed to happen during quarantine but now are being rescheduled, etc. And when I do get some free time... it's a downpour. 

I'm hopeful that things will be easing up as we head into July but at this point I have a whopping 3 rounds under my belt so far...

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Love the topic:

Great:

Approach Play - irons have been great.  Picking out small targets and seeing that picture in my mind before hitting the shot and able to perform when I need it.

Ball Striking and Distance Control on Irons/Wedges - In general, nearly every shot I'm hitting is a good strike.  Maybe not always perfect, but good enough to get the stamp of approval based on my game.  Usually a very solid strike.

Scores - While I am still down on myself at times, the fact is that my scores are better than last year.  I think I am playing even better than what the end result is (don't we all), but they are down a couple shots.

Mediocre:

Driving - Not quite as good as last year.  I'll still have around two penalty shots per round that are directly from driver.  I think picking better lines could help on this as well and staying aggressive through each swing.

Putting - My speed control has been fairly good for most of the year and I'm actually gaining a little more confidence on the 3-5 footers.  However, I'm not hitting the ball on my line as well as I should for longer putts.  Also my conversion for anything over 7 feet is around 5% if that for the year.  

Bad: 

Coming back from a bad swing after I've been playing well all day.  I'll have one drive that's a bit off around the 12th hole and rather than chalk it up as one bad swing, I lose my sh*t mentally and it usually costs me several strokes over the next couple holes.

Greenside Chipping - I've had a few rounds with good chipping, but for the most part I'm leaving myself longer putts than I feel as though I should.  I have been practicing lately, but it's not translating.  I'm not doing enough pressure packed practice and just mindlessly hitting chips.   

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

The Good

My handicap is down from last year. My driving distance increased and I hit on average 13 out of 14 fairways. No complaints there. I am hitting my fairway woods great off of the ground (3, 5, and 7 ). Only 2 three putts this season. Chipping is still a strength. 

The Bad

My approach shots are not as close to the pin as I would like. I will hit the green but usually left with a longer putt. But if I am short, my chipping leaves me with an easy putt. My 5 an 6 iron distance and directional control needs some fine tuning. These are the normal clubs used on my course for all the par three's. If I have any hope for a hole in one then these clubs need the most attention for improvement. 

My attention or focus  needs some work. Great drive, great shot onto the green, and my mind says easy par. It should say potential birdie. I don't spend enough time focusing on the first putt for birdie.  

The Ugly 

I am happy to report that there isn't anything UGLY. (But there is always opportunity for something to go wrong in this sport)

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

The Good

Off the tee, around the green and putting. All have been surprisingly lights out and its nice to see my short game work over the winter working on course. I am still 3 putting occasionally but my lag putting has been really great overall and my short game I have been able to help myself by putting it close. Off the tee I am putting myself in great position, have narrowed down to a 1 way miss and am on average much longer than I typically am this early in the season.

The Bad

Approach shots....This has been rough. I have placed myself in great spots off the tee and am not executing my 2nd shots if I can correct this soon (I really just need to focus on my planemate work, I get on course and its like I go right back to old habits) I have a feeling I will be shooting really low.

The Ugly 

Sand play around the green. This has always been a strong suit in my game, I am honestly not sure what I am doing wrong......I am skulling around the green. Fairway bunkers are not an issue as I am picking them clean, but the green woof......

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Mine will be short.

The Good: my swing overall is coming around after my lessons and putting into practice what I learnt.

The Bad: my putts per round has been sneaking up.

The Ugly: Chipping is woeful.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The good: Off the tee and off the deck, my fairway wood play has been incredibly better than I can remember.  

The bad: Short iron distance control has been half and half.  I am fighting my instincts and really hope it isnt any indication that I need glasses

The ugly: inside 50 yard wedges...abysmal.  No feel, no control.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Good: Putting has seen a marked improvement, attitude has also shown a marked improvement, which for me can be half the battle. Scrambling well the season on the whole

Bad: Swing issues on the hybrid, fairway wood front. Super hooky with the path right now, not ideal. Full swing with short irons and wedges is tuggy as well, really limits some scoring opportunity

Ugly: Driver right now comes and goes on direction, could be draw city then a big old push cut right when I don't need one. Also, I wanted to walk more this season with my new carry bag, it hasn't happened to the level I'd like because of the warmer weather and my bigger build.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

The good: Scores are coming down minus a rough patch in May. I'm playing more golf then I have in the last couple years. Tournament season is starting and I'm feeling good physically. Losing weight, down to 227.

Mediocre: I've not been hitting a draw like I'm used to this year, either a pull or baby fade. I'm not sure why my draw has disappeared. My scores are good and iron play isn't any worse than usual so trying not to worry about it. Still averaging 30 putts a round which is where I've been for years. Driver and short game seem to alternate which isn't going to show up. The other week I shot a 75 and still bladed a few chips.

Bad: Remember tournament season?? Well Monday was to be my first and I had to withdraw. I got hit by some kind of sinus/allergy/cold thing and can't breathe right, so with feeling like crap and no focus I thought it would be better to now out. While I'm playing more I've not been able to exercise like I planned (new chiro is also sports med). Was supposed to get lessons from my club pro but it's almost July and he keeps pushing it off.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Love reading all of your thoughts. Fun read.

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

On a brighter note - what's working well: Irons and short game. They're saving me! 

Both areas tend to be my strongest as well. If I'm 150 or less with my second shot I'm feeling pretty good about not walking away with anything worse than a par.

4 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Weekends have been filled with birthday parties, grad parties, parties that were supposed to happen during quarantine but now are being rescheduled, etc.

I believe this. And I'm certain that you are not alone here. Although I would say total rounds are probably still up at my home course, I've noticed it is a less busy than last summer. Michigan just removed the remainder of its COVID restrictions, and there are so many things for people to do now/catch up on that I think that's partially to blame. 

Hopefully your schedule starts to cooperate a bit better. Always enjoy reading about your rounds.

4 hours ago, juspoole said:

I'll still have around two penalty shots per round that are directly from driver.

My scores directly correlate to how my driver is behaving that day. I saw a tweet the other day talking about counting how many drives/tee shots put you in poor positions (behind trees, out of bounds, etc.) that require some sort of recovery shot. I realized that in my last round seven holes required a recovery shot or some sort of miraculous second shot under trees, etc. 

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My attention or focus  needs some work. Great drive, great shot onto the green, and my mind says easy par. It should say potential birdie. I don't spend enough time focusing on the first putt for birdie.  

I like this thought. I know there's a fine line to walk here (Scott Fawcett would say to "stop trying to make putts"), but the reality is sometime my thought process when I stand over a putt is, "Let's get this close," instead of, "This has a good chance to drop."

2 hours ago, cnosil said:
  • distance control with wedges.  I am doing better with contact but need to get more consistent with carry distance.

I know you have been working on this for a while. Do you have a clock system or anything? I started fooling around with the Mevo+ and a clock system this week as my distance control has been terrible lately. I'm usually a feel player but my touch has been awful lately.

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Off the tee I am putting myself in great position, have narrowed down to a 1 way miss and am on average much longer than I typically am this early in the season.

Do you think the Planemate has helped your driving? Last year I remember doing the first couple Planemate protocols and then having one of the best driving rounds of my life afterward.

1 hour ago, MattF said:

The Good: my swing overall is coming around after my lessons and putting into practice what I learnt.

I'm glad you're finding your lessons helpful! Lessons have made such a huge difference in my game.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

The ugly: inside 50 yard wedges...abysmal.  No feel, no control.

I know you switched from the Maltbys to the TW Grinds and now going to the Hogans. Hopefully the Hogans tick all of the boxes for you.

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Good: Putting has seen a marked improvement, attitude has also shown a marked improvement, which for me can be half the battle. Scrambling well the season on the whole

Glad to hear the new putter is paying dividends!

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Losing weight, down to 227.

That's awesome!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

7 minutes ago, edingc said:

Love reading all of your thoughts. Fun read.

I know you have been working on this for a while. Do you have a clock system or anything? I started fooling around with the Mevo+ and a clock system this week as my distance control has been terrible lately. I'm usually a feel player but my touch has been awful lately.

I’ve done a clock system in the past but need to rebuild that table.  Need to find time to get over to MGS when they aren’t too busy so I can use the GCQuad.  Would buy a Mevo+ Or a personal launch monitor but don’t have a good spot to really practice at the frequency I would like.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The Good: I am still playing the game. My range of scores is becoming tighter, although not as low as they were last year.

The Bad: I have lost some face control and ground contact. 

The Ugly: I never know when I wake up in the morning what my back will allow me to do. There are days when it is fine but most days there are compensations I have to make and it makes playing the game consistently very difficult. I still get it around fine and I know there are many people who would love to shoot the scores I do, so I keep that perspective and just go out and have fun. I haven't competed since Oct. and don't know if I will be able to again in the future. But there is still so much joy in the game even with all that. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Still having a hard time putting everything together in a round. My driver has been excellent all year but it seems that either my irons are good and short game is bad or vice versa. Even on my best round of the year I didn’t do anything spectacular, just hit greens in regulation and 2 putted. Hoping to be able to start putting more solid performances together where I take advantage of starting in position “A”. Hoping to become a more proficient putter. Reading greens and dialing in speed 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

@edingcit had definitely helped, but I think the fitting has helped as much as well. My problem is on course I don’t think seing thoughts. I think planemate is something for me I need to think about on course, not necessarily the swing itself but “remember what you have learned” type thoughts. I have done that a few times and I’ve had some great shots but I don’t do it enough. I have not played in 2 weeks so I’m hoping next round I do what I need to do

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

50 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Still having a hard time putting everything together in a round. My driver has been excellent all year but it seems that either my irons are good and short game is bad or vice versa. Even on my best round of the year I didn’t do anything spectacular, just hit greens in regulation and 2 putted. Hoping to be able to start putting more solid performances together where I take advantage of starting in position “A”. Hoping to become a more proficient putter. Reading greens and dialing in speed 

We need to play, work some stuff out!

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

6 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

However, I think some of this has to do with my pulled hamstring.

I feel your pain - almost literally. I tweaked my knee about a month ago and, although the golf swing does not hurt, it seems to aggravate it and I'm pretty gimpy the next day. My fear, and maybe you are feeling something similar, is that I will develop some bad (worse?) habits by instinctively trying to protect it.

To the topic at hand....

The Good:

My consistency has improved this year. Not by a ton, but by this time last year I had a few rounds in the 50's. This year there is 1, so my bad rounds seem to be getting a little better.

Even though I haven't been able to consistently get back in to SuperSpeed, when I have, it appears I have not lost much speed, if any.

The Bad:

I still can't hit a driver. I'll have occasional rounds with "flashes of OK-ness" and follow it up with the lack of ability to keep it on the planet. The fitting for the Epic Speed opened my eyes a bit to what I am doing, I just have to either find a way to self-fix or spring for a pro to help.

The Ugly:

I wouldn't have thought about it without @edingc bringing it up, but hip flexibility is certainly something that needs improvement for me. My hips, glutes, and hamstrings are all very tight.

Calibration for partial swing wedges is pretty ugly right now. I went from 56 and 60 to 54 and 58 this year and my brain has not adapted quite yet, even with fresh grooves to assist.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Nothing is really better or worse than it has been the last few years.  
I'm a year older, but not any wiser.  
I still make mistakes, but I can usually recover somewhat.  
My new Callaway driver is wonderful; maybe a little more distance and I still put balls in the fairway.
My short game is adequate; could be better.  The days it's on are the days I score.
My putting is streaky.  Overall, pretty good; combined with my short game, I can score.

I still have an issue with 2nd and 3rd shots and GIR.  I struggle to consistently make solid contact, and combined with lack of distance, I miss many greens.  This is my focus this year, and hopefully it comes with PlaneMate practice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@edingc great topic!

the good: i’ve finally turned my speed with the driver into an asset. distance is up and dispersion is down over the last 5 or so rounds i’ve played. around the greens has been good also. both from bunkers and the rough. 

the bad: control with my mid-long irons. this is slowly coming around with lessons and practice, but it’s still costing me a lot of strokes. 

the ugly: partial wedge shots. my distance control with them just flat out sucks 

all in all, i’m happy though. my handicap is down 3 strokes this season and i don’t play nearly enough to expect it to be down any further than that. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Agree this is great.

Good: course management and putting have kept my rounds in shape this year. Playing my dispersion had been very helpful and my pouring had overall been very solid.

Bad: iron control can be tough at times, I can get the left going left going left which is hard to play for. Chipping had been sub-par but hopefully coming around a bit.

Ugly: Driver has been a bit of a mess. Bad delivery resulting in massive distance losses with big slices. I have played for it and not lost balls but swinging just north of 100 and getting only 230 out of it is a kick in the pants. Another one I am working on and last round was better.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Excellent thread @edingc!

The Good:  My wedge play has improved this year, especially on those greenside shots. I've had several shots that threatened the hole, but hadn't gone in until a few weeks ago when I finally got one to sink. I'm seeing more consistency on longer wedge shots, too. I'm seeing more shots landing on the green from 30-75 yards.

Putting has also been consistent.

The Bad:  My driver has been pretty inconsistent, I was fighting a constant left miss until recently and now I'm back to slicing nearly everything. Distance hasn't been too good either, I'm struggling to average 200 yards off the tee, even with my recent gains in CHS due to getting back to SuperSpeed training. 

Irons are still a problem area, too. My approach game from 100-175 makes me feel like I'm a beginner at this game.

The Ugly:  Hands down, my fairway woods are the worst part of my game right now. The only consistency is the topped 30 yard 3 wood. The 5 wood isn't much better, either. I'm having a hard time getting anything to launch and get so frustrated with them I want to completely forget that I own them. 

6 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

The Ugly:  Hands down, my fairway woods are the worst part of my game right now. The only consistency is the topped 30 yard 3 wood. The 5 wood isn't much better, either. I'm having a hard time getting anything to launch and get so frustrated with them I want to completely forget that I own them. 

long clubs + small heads = trouble! 

have you tried just focusing on your contact at the range with your FWs? i get in trouble with my 3w when i try to hit it too hard. that leads to the dreaded topped ground ball. 

i’ve found success bringing it to the range and just punching shots 100-150 yards. that helps me focus on just making solid contact with the face square.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

6 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

long clubs + small heads = trouble! 

have you tried just focusing on your contact at the range with your FWs? i get in trouble with my 3w when i try to hit it too hard. that leads to the dreaded topped ground ball. 

i’ve found success bringing it to the range and just punching shots 100-150 yards. that helps me focus on just making solid contact with the face square.

I'll honestly say, I haven't tried that but I'll give it a go this weekend when I head to the range. That sounds like a good way to build the confidence back I used to have in them. Thank you!

The Good: Driving distance has increased due to miraculously finding a shaft and head combo that works for my swing 😀

The Bad: Iron play has gone down hill.  Short irons are okay, but from my 8 thru 5 irons...just rubbish 🤢

The Ugly: The dreaded $h@nk 🤬

I am definitely going to take some golf lessons this winter season.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

44 minutes ago, 808nation said:

The Good: Driving distance has increased due to miraculously finding a shaft and head combo that works for my swing 😀

The Bad: Iron play has gone down hill.  Short irons are okay, but from my 8 thru 5 irons...just rubbish 🤢

The Ugly: The dreaded $h@nk 🤬

I am definitely going to take some golf lessons this winter season.

Monte's No Turn Cast video will improve your swing and eliminate the $h@nks... You're welcome!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Love this thread - hate that the season is almost halfway done already!

The good: Distance throughout the bag has been great, partially due to new clubs and partially some swing changes. My bunker game has also been really really good. Lastly, the Hogan 3UiHi has been a game changer for me as a fairway finder tee club. On tight clubs I feel confident I'll play a 5ish yard fade somewhere around 250ish. 

The meh: Approach play has been mostly good, but I still pepper 1 or 2 really poor shots throughout a round. Short game has been decent. 

The bad: I'm still finding a few too many big misses with my driver than I'd like to see. It's kept me from pulling driver on more holes than I'd like. 

The ugly: I'm not sure if it's unrealistic expectations or if I'm actually putting poorly, but I've had more 3 putts than I'd like. I've also been scaring the hole a decent amount from 5+ feet away, but I hole almost nothing from this distance. I know I shouldn't be expecting to make a ton of 10 foot putts, but just seeing a couple drop every now and then would be nice.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

The good....Since I picked up the hitting net last year and used it a lot over the winter I was not too far off mid season form when we started playing this year and I was getting out once, maybe twice a week and scores were good.  My putting is improved this year over the last few years due to a new putter, slight technique changes and practice, practice, practice.

The bad.....the last month and a half I have been too busy with work & family stuff to get out to play much or practice much.  9 holes per week is about it and some early morning swings in the net where I am just trying to get loose rather than work on anything.  So the swing and my scores are real inconsistent lately.

The Ugly....CONSISTENCY.  Usually one or two holes per 9 where I'll have a real ugly swing or two.....sometimes it penalizes me real bad and sometimes i get real lucky. Or chipping will be waaaay off that night and i can't get up & down for anything.    I had an easy 155yd 7i this past week & got real lucky.  I hit the ball with probably the lowest groove on the club keeping it about 3' off the ground, barely clearing the water hazard bouncing all the way to the shorter greenside bunker where i got up & down for par.  As bad as i hit that 7 i should have had a double.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I honestly feel this is all bad or ugly, but there are some good:

The good: I'm trying to find my fade/slice and it's progressing nicely. Yes, some people want to get rid of them, but I find them slightly easier to control. (see ugly)

Overall, I'm happy with my chipping. Been trying to get away from always using the 56 or 60 (unless it's necessary), and trying the 52.

The bad: My putting is inconsistent. Some days I feel great and see the lines, other times I don't.

The ugly: I have been missing with a pull hook for years. Over cook the heck out of it. Hence the reason to try the fade more. (see good)

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

22 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I still get it around fine and I know there are many people who would love to shoot the scores I do, so I keep that perspective and just go out and have fun. I haven't competed since Oct. and don't know if I will be able to again in the future. But there is still so much joy in the game even with all that. 

I'm glad you're still able to get out there but I hope your back starts to cooperate better soon. Injuries are awful. 

22 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Even on my best round of the year I didn’t do anything spectacular, just hit greens in regulation and 2 putted.

Boring golf is good golf. That's how my 72 was this year - 16 pars, 1 bogey, 1 birdie. Lots of greens and two putts. I know as you get more play in you'll have a round where everything clicks and you get past the 80 you are chasing!

21 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Even though I haven't been able to consistently get back in to SuperSpeed, when I have, it appears I have not lost much speed, if any.

My experience has been the same. Anything lost comes back pretty quickly. I wish it worked the same way for other parts of my physical conditioning! I really think once per week or even once every other week is enough to maintain your speeds for the most part.

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

My short game is adequate; could be better.  The days it's on are the days I score.
My putting is streaky.  Overall, pretty good; combined with my short game, I can score.

It's amazing how much being good around the greens can impact your score. I had several chip-and-downs today and have gotten much more proficient (and confident) around the greens. 

19 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

the ugly: partial wedge shots. my distance control with them just flat out sucks 

I know my comment about you needing a 72 degree wedge was tongue-in-cheek - but with your speed partial wedges must be a really tough adjustment. Have you tried a clock system or anything like that? 

18 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Playing my dispersion had been very helpful

This is huge. Having a general idea of your shot patterns and applying them to the course is game changing.

17 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I forget - do you carry any hybrids? I dropped my fairway woods and don't miss them in the least bit, and for me the hybrids are easier to hit.

15 hours ago, 808nation said:

I hit that Motore X F3 last summer when I did my #CobraConnect fitting and really enjoyed it!

6 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Lastly, the Hogan 3UiHi has been a game changer for me as a fairway finder tee club.

When we last played, you hit that club so well. On No. 7 especially. Just a pristine bullet.

4 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

The Ugly....CONSISTENCY. 

I think everyone wishes they had more of that! I take solace in the pros moving 5-6 shots in either direction per round because I can have some wild swings of inconsistency as well.

2 hours ago, JeremyD said:

The ugly: I have been missing with a pull hook for years. Over cook the heck out of it. Hence the reason to try the fade more. (see good)

My ugly miss right now, too. I've been trying to learn a fade with the driver but I still double-cross myself way too much. Nothing worse than seeing something left, going left off the club face!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver