TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tips and tricks to re-grip a putter

rherb23

Hey all, 

Im about to embark on my first time re-gripping a putter. I’ve done irons before without any issues, but never done a putter. Previous re-gripping involved tour velvet 360, so I didn’t have to worry about aligning any logos or anything like that. 

anyone have tips and tricks to make sure the alignment doesn’t end up a little off? That’s my biggest worry. 

:taylormade-small:Driver- Sim2 max; 60x rogue silver 

:cobra-small:3wood- cobra F9; 70x hzrds black 

:taylormade-small:Hybrid- taylormade burner 

:mizuno-small:4-G- JPX921 Forged; Nippon tour 120s 

:cleveland-small:54,58- Cleveland RTX-4

:ping-small:Putter- Ping anser 2 cadence TR

:ping-small:Bag: Ping Hoofer CL

:Snell:Ball: MTB-X

17 minutes ago, rherb23 said:

Hey all, 

Im about to embark on my first time re-gripping a putter. I’ve done irons before without any issues, but never done a putter. Previous re-gripping involved tour velvet 360, so I didn’t have to worry about aligning any logos or anything like that. 

anyone have tips and tricks to make sure the alignment doesn’t end up a little off? That’s my biggest worry. 

You could use a round grip to eliminate you concern.  Or you can use a level to make sure the putter face is perpendicular when secured in the vice and the flat side is parallel once you put on the grip 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When I used to do my re-gripping, I was using Tour Wrap with reminder ribs.  I did all of my alignment of the ribs using eyes and touch, and never felt as if they were off.  I've done a few putters, same thing, you have enough time to get the flat side aligned the way you want it.  I think @cnosil has a good idea using a level.  You could also use an air compressor, and have the ability to make endless adjustments without ruining the grip.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I just started regripping my clubs with a portable griping station I built.  So far, I've done two Super Stroke grips.  I have to agree with comment with level.  I used a magnet level on the face to ensure it was straight up and down when locked it down in shaft clamp.  With the Super Stroke grips both had flats that also enabled use of the level to ensure it was flat and perpendicular to the face.  That gets you very close and allows you to make some minor adjustments by eye.  The slower acting solvent also gives you more time to make those slight changes if needed.

I  found the Super Stroke grips a little more difficult to put on than the normal iron or wood grips.  I'm not sure if it was the tape or the fact the Super Stroke grip openings do not flex a lot, but when I used a decent amount of solvent the tape slid on the shaft and bunched up in front of the grip as I was sliding it on.  Luckily the solvent wasn't fast acting so I was able to slide the grip off, reuse the grip and start again.  The second time I used less solvent.  I still wetted the inside of the grip and the tape on the shaft.  On both Super Stroke grips I put on,  using a little less solvent seemed to prevent the tape from bunching up.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Appreciate the input from ya’ll! I’ll definitely try the level on the face trick. I’ll be sure to post back with some picks of the results. 

Edited by rherb23

13 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

I  found the Super Stroke grips a little more difficult to put on than the normal iron or wood grips.  I'm not sure if it was the tape or the fact the Super Stroke grip openings do not flex a lot, but when I used a decent amount of solvent the tape slid on the shaft and bunched up in front of the grip as I was sliding it on.  

This happened to me when installing my first SS putter grip as well. Just use lots of solvent and have a towel ready to wipe up any tape that bunches up at end of the grip. Also, don't try to slowly coax the grip on the club, as that can lead to it getting stuck. Instead, use one forceful motion to get the grip on and don't worry about it not going on straight, with enough solvent you will have plenty of time to get it where you need it.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

When first putting on the double sided grip tape make sure you extend it about a 1/4"-1/2 " beyond the end of the shaft, then fold the edges together and under the shaft and you now have the grip tape locked down so it can't slide forward ( and blocks any grip fluid entering the end of the shaft) when you slip on the grip in a fluid, forceful, steady push. I put some grip fluid inside the grip, blocking both holes, give it 3-4 shakes to lube the inside and then let the grip fluid pour out the bottom as I distribute it along the grip tape, then slide it on.

As others have advised I always put a protractor (magnetic) on the putter face to 90 deg and when I install the grip I use two (2) small bubble levels slightly up (1/3) and slightly down(1/3) from the top and bottom of the grip to level it off as well. Easy peezy every time!

recommend some cheap amazon levels. can get 3-4 for $5 i rubberband them on once the grip is on. also a small vice and rubber gripper to hold the shaft in the vice.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

Getting the grip on is not too far different than irons or woods.  Just like them be sure your butt diameter matches the grip diameter.  You may need to add tape or it will not be solid.  If the butt is larger than the grip diameter you'll influence the overall diameter once it is on.  Second and maybe more important, before the grip dries give an eyeball look down the shaft.  If you have an alignment mark on the putter head you can check and see the flat of the grip is parallel to that or not.  Off a little bit and the head will not be square to your grip.  I have a 4' steel rule I can attach to the grip the extends to the head and give me a more finite look at grip being square to the club face.  A couple degrees off is a 1" miss on a 10' putt.

GPS111

Make sure the weight of the grips are very close - i ruined the feel of my putter by using a heavier grip.

WITB - Ping G400 LST - HZRZ 6.0

3W - Ping G400 - Ping Tour 75

3h - Ping G410 - Evenflow 6.0

4,5 irons - Ping i500

6-PW - Ping iBlade

52,56 & 60 - Ping Glide Forged

Putter(s) - a few

No difference. Place a small 2x4 on the floor and be sure the putter head and front portion of the grip are properly aligned.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I know you want to do it yourself but you might want to check with a local pro- ours does it for $2 a grip and they are ultra straight.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I've regripped a fair share of putters for players ranging in skill from Elite (D1, mini tours, Canadian and Latin American tour) to brand new golfers who bring me dry rotted messes from their parents garage.  Here's what I've found to work, take it for whatever its worth.

-.  Having a vice is super helpful, and make sure its mounted to a sturdy table.

-  I've used levels before, but usually only when a putter is giving me trouble and just not looking right.  Usually just to get the face perfectly vertical.

- Really thick grips get lots of solvent. (Super strokes)

-unless you need to grip to dry faster, I dont mind a healthy amount of solvent.  It allows for adjustments to be made and fine tuned.

-the tape should not be sliding down.  Is it possible thats just residue from the tape that the solvent has disolved?

- while I agree in theory that a grip being a couple degrees off could result in missed putts, we also need to take into account that most golfers do not deliver the putter the same way everytime. more or less forward press or slightly different alignment or inconsistent delivery will change the face more than the grip. 

-with better players i like to let them look at the alignment before the grip dries.  They will be able to set up and see how it fits their eye.  It doesn't matter how square I think it is, or what a level says.  If it looks off to the golfer, its no good.

My advice for doing your own grip, get it as you can, but whats more important is that you feel comfortable with how it sets up at address.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

23 hours ago, 6bills67 said:

Make sure the weight of the grips are very close - i ruined the feel of my putter by using a heavier grip.

Going lighter actually! I have a heavier grip on now, so I’m hoping I gain some feel with the lighter grip. 

And the deed is done! Might not be perfect but it looks good and square to me. Easy peasy. Level trick is definitely helpful. Thanks y’all for all your tips. Now we wait.. 61E64BFC-4A52-4420-8318-F582A16E81A2.jpeg.acb75f4081ca2c1384be3db0fed97058.jpeg

I use a compressor and, if needed, blue painters tape. Easy off, easy on. No worries about time to get it right before it dries. If not aligned, pop in the air tool, give it a little pressure and roll the grip. Last weekend swapped and changed grips on 5 putters in 10 minutes with no mess.

For alignment purposes, most grips have a center line "mark" or indention for alignment purposes. I use a sharpie to mark a line where the mark is and make sure mine aligns with the sharpie mark. Make sure your sharpie mark is long enough to not be covered by the new grip.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:26 PM, Perrymr said:

I've regripped a fair share of putters for players ranging in skill from Elite (D1, mini tours, Canadian and Latin American tour) to brand new golfers who bring me dry rotted messes from their parents garage.  Here's what I've found to work, take it for whatever its worth.

-.  Having a vice is super helpful, and make sure its mounted to a sturdy table.

-  I've used levels before, but usually only when a putter is giving me trouble and just not looking right.  Usually just to get the face perfectly vertical.

- Really thick grips get lots of solvent. (Super strokes)

-unless you need to grip to dry faster, I dont mind a healthy amount of solvent.  It allows for adjustments to be made and fine tuned.

-the tape should not be sliding down.  Is it possible thats just residue from the tape that the solvent has disolved?

- while I agree in theory that a grip being a couple degrees off could result in missed putts, we also need to take into account that most golfers do not deliver the putter the same way everytime. more or less forward press or slightly different alignment or inconsistent delivery will change the face more than the grip. 

-with better players i like to let them look at the alignment before the grip dries.  They will be able to set up and see how it fits their eye.  It doesn't matter how square I think it is, or what a level says.  If it looks off to the golfer, its no good.

My advice for doing your own grip, get it as you can, but whats more important is that you feel comfortable with how it sets up at address.

Pretty paintbrush comment.  I'm a Master Clubmaker who has also done repairs and custom builds for pros on several tours including the PGA on site for events.  Amatures can't be treated as second class citizens by the likes of your comments.  To assume that can't putt as well due to their lack of skill is not justification for not giving them the best chance.  Aligning the grip square to line of putt gives an amaturer the best chance of success.  To assume otherwise is to presume you are better than their worth.  If you are a true club repair guy or Clubmaker says they deserve your best, not the assumption they can't have the best.

GPS111