Looking for experience with TS-1 irons and recommendations on higher lofted wedge heads

tortoise1956

I'm looking to buy some new irons, and the TS-1 caught my eye. I ordered a 3-iron head with a TT XL Lite taper shaft in stiff to see how it performed for me. If it fits my eye (and swing), I'll be buying more, as well as (maybe) a Steelfiber shaft to see how it works for me.

Basic description:

I am 65, was shooting in the very low 80's with an occasional foray into the 70's until the pandemic put me on a general hiatus. I had been playing TaylorMade M4 irons, but I had no feel with them, leading me to just start whaling away at the ball.

I recently went back to an old set of KZG ZO irons (4-PW) with TX-90 stiff shafts, to remind me when I was not hitting the sweet spot. These irons have been bent to be 2 degrees stronger than original. I normally hit the ZO 7-iron between 145-165 yards, depending upon shot shape.

I recently added KZG TRS wedges - 50, 54 and 58 - with Dynamic Gold stiff shafts to the bag, but haven't been overjoyed with the distance and dispersion and may go back to my ZO GW and SW instead, or seek out new wedges entirely.

Here are my questions:

Do the TS-1 PW and GW heads follow a good progression as far as distance, compared to the rest of the set?

Are they capable of producing good backspin with premium balls? I use Srixon Z-star/Z-star XV as a general rule, but I have been known to hit Vice Pro Plus balls as well...

Also, any knowledge about Steelfiber shafts paired to TS-1 heads would be appreciated. 

Finally, any suggestions or recommendations of Maltby wedges, anyone?

I play with TE Forged but built a set of the TS-1s for my son's graduation present.  We have the same specs so I have played quite a bit with his irons.  Neither he nor I have seen any gapping issues between the pitching and gap wedges and they generate plenty of spin ( we both play the OnCore Elixir balls).  I paired his irons with the new TSW DRM wedges which are very nice.  The sole grind works well for our varied conditions (we go from hardpan to very soft quickly) and the feel is very nice.  I will be replacing my Tricepts with the DRM wedges this week.

I have been playing TS-1 irons almost a year. Best irons I have played. No gapping issues. I bent mine to have a 4° progression from 6i to pw. I play the TSW wedges in 50, 54, and 58. I hit the 9i about 150 yards, pw about 135, 50 deg 120, 54 about 110, and the 58 95 to 100 yards. I am playing dynamic gold X100 sensicore, but I am 50 and still swinging it 110ish with the driver. 

Taylormade SIM 9° set at 7.5°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1/2", 11g backweight, 10g adjustable weight, D5, 45 7/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13° Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1 1/2" 43", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft, D4,Snake Eyes quick strike tour 18° hybrid, Xcaliber T6* TS untipped (soft stepped)

Maltby KE4 tour hybrid, 22°, kuro kage black shaft X 

Maltby TS-1 irons, DG X100 Sensicore, D4, 2° flat, 4-PW

Maltby TSW wedges,  DG X100 Sensicore,  50°, 54°, 58°, 2° flat

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

TS-1 5-GW, TSW 54, M-Series 58.  Standard lofts have been good for me but I don’t have your swing speed as my iron shafts are KBS90 regs.

Edited by NCDuffer
Correct spell check!

Ping G410 Plus Driver, G400 SFT 3 Wood, G400 7 Wood, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby TSW 54, Maltby MS Grind 58, SeeMore Tri Mallet.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone for their comments and recommendations. I will take all of this to heart when I refit my implements of desperation soon... 🤣

Edited by tortoise1956