TESTERS WANTED! ×

Montgomery AL RTJ Trail

DoubleAce

In a previous topic i received great advice about courses in Birmingham AL. and many directed me to Montgomery.  Can i now get some advice on  Montgomery AL and the three trail sites close by.   1) Cambrian Ridge is the Loblolly nine a step below Sherling and Canyon?   2) Capitol Hill is the Judge course the best?  3) How do the Grand National Courses compare to Cambrian Ridge and Capitol Hill ?  thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I know @Mtbryant01 has played most these, not sure about Cambrian Ridge. What I've heard is that Cambrian Ridge is good course that does not see a ton of traffic. Greenville is not a big city or even a suburb. It probably sees most of the play from people driving down 65 to go to the beach. 

2- I've only played Judge and Legislator. Senator had green renovations recently. You can't go wrong with any of the 3. Judge feels more like the premier course, a championship/tournament course that can play long and I think most (all?) are along the river. Legislator would be a course I could play everyday and I think the regulars tend to favor this one with great greens and a variety of hole layouts. Senator being a links-style layout looks like a fun challenge with the multitude of pot bunkers. It seems more novelty to me. I don't think the red clay of alabama is similar to the sand deposits of the british isles and we don't have the wind either, but nevertheless it seems to be in good condition.

3- @Mtbryant01 I think Grand National courses would be more similar to Capitol Hill than Cambrian Ridge just being on the lake but with the RTJ trail, you can't really go wrong.

Check the RTJ website, they publish their maintenance schedule and stick to it pretty good. You should also look into a all you can play monthly pass if you are here for longer than a week. I've heard for out of towners they offer some pretty sweet deals.

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

@TBS nailed it. I haven’t played Cambrian Ridge yet. It might be one of the last RTJ courses I play since it’s not really near anything. Could be a hidden gem, I just haven’t made my way out there yet.

I love the RTJ Capitol Hill courses. The Judge is the toughest, the Legislator is the most unique, and the Senator is somewhere in between those. If I had to rank playing those it would be Judge, Legislator, and then Senator. The LPGA held an event on the Senator if I remember correctly, so nothing against the Senator, I just like the others a little better.

Grand National has 2 fun tracts. I think the Links is closed for renovation through September. The Lakes course is still a lot of fun with some challenging holes bordering the lake. Lakes compares to Judge but slightly easier. Lakes course has held a PGA tour event before.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I've played all three at Capitol Hill and The Judge would be the one to play with Legislator as the back-up. Not sure why The Senator gets so much press and was a tour stop for the LPGA for a few years.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18