Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Iron Recommendations…

bwarren2

My 15 year oldloves the game and solid striker of the ball. He’s grown out of his starter set and I want to get him set up with Irons that will last him a long time. He has very good eye hand coordination and has played every sport under the sun. Mostly baseball, golf and tennis over the last five years. He has very good length of the tee as well. I will take him and get him fit but looking for recs of where to start. Thanks for your help.

13 hours ago, bwarren2 said:

My 15 year oldloves the game and solid striker of the ball. He’s grown out of his starter set and I want to get him set up with Irons that will last him a long time. He has very good eye hand coordination and has played every sport under the sun. Mostly baseball, golf and tennis over the last five years. He has very good length of the tee as well. I will take him and get him fit but looking for recs of where to start. Thanks for your help.

Getting fit would be my first step but at 15 he still has some growing to do. Have you considered getting him a good set of second hand clubs? That way they will be cheaper but you can still get good ones. 

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

4 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Getting fit would be my first step but at 15 he still has some growing to do. Have you considered getting him a good set of second hand clubs? That way they will be cheaper but you can still get good ones. 

It’s an option for sure. My question in 2nd used irons, is how would I know which ones are the best for him? I don’t know if a place to get him fitted with used clubs. Other than looking at 2019, 2020 most wanted recs. Any suggestions are welcome

I'd go get fit for sure, if he doesn't have anything unusual, I'd go second hand for the next 2-5 years on the irons. You could save a lots of money on irons than you can put toward a more recent driver. Again second hand. Then when he is fully grown, it's where I would invest my money. Irons can last him decades these day.

If you don't want second hand, make sure when he get fitted that the club can growth with him. A good fitter will normally recommend you something for around 5 years and more for him. Ping could be a good solution as they can adjust the lie angle more than 1.5 degree if needed if he change a lot in the next few years. Other companies normally can go to up 1.5 degree on the lie, adding extension is not recommended so:

If he is still growing and didn't peak yet, definitively go second hand for sure especially if he is already 6 feet tall. This is around that height that generally you start seeing + ½ inch club length and different lie angle depending on arm length.

If not you can do the math yourself before going to get fit.

https://ping.com/en-us/misc/stash/fitting/iron-color-code-chart

also if going second hand and he is in between 2 stiffness, always go for the softest of the 2.

3 minutes ago, pouetvl said:

I'd go get fit for sure, if he doesn't have anything unusual, I'd go second hand for the next 2-5 years on the irons. You could save a lots of money on irons than you can put toward a more recent driver. Again second hand. Then when he is fully grown, it's where I would invest my money. Irons can last him decades these day.

If you don't want second hand, make sure when he get fitted that the club can growth with him. A good fitter will normally recommend you something for around 5 years and more for him. Ping could be a good solution as they can adjust the lie angle more than 1.5 degree if needed if he change a lot in the next few years. Other companies normally can go to up 1.5 degree on the lie, adding extension is not recommended so:

If he is still growing and didn't peak yet, definitively go second hand for sure especially if he is already 6 feet tall. This is around that height that generally you start seeing + ½ inch club length and different lie angle depending on arm length.

If not you can do the math yourself before going to get fit.

https://ping.com/en-us/misc/stash/fitting/iron-color-code-chart

also if going second hand and he is in between 2 stiffness, always go for the softest of the 2.

Thanks. I don’t know of a used place I can get him fit but will do some research. I’m in Atlanta

3 minutes ago, bwarren2 said:

Thanks. I don’t know of a used place I can get him fit but will do some research. I’m in Atlanta

A quick search on google for golf fitters will help you find one, then you can read reviews and see what fits what you need.

24 minutes ago, bwarren2 said:

It’s an option for sure. My question in 2nd used irons, is how would I know which ones are the best for him? I don’t know if a place to get him fitted with used clubs. Other than looking at 2019, 2020 most wanted recs. Any suggestions are welcome

I had a similar trouble when I tried to equip my Girlfriend's kid for golf(he is 14 and weight like 70 pounds), I ended up with kid's club instead of junior club or senior club for him because it was the best option at the moment. My friend's kid receive my old Di7 wilson staff stiff flex but he can't lift the ball with them because his swing speed isn't high enough. He got donated (cause it's worth nothing) a full set of founders club's graphite shaft, no flex on the club but they are soft regular when I tested them...  It will last him a few years until his swing speed increase (He is 15 and swing at around 80-83 with a driver). He hit them quite well honestly for something 10 years+ old.

I'm from Canada / Quebec / Montreal so knowledge of good fitter is impossible for me in your area.

I know 2nd swing normally could offer you some decent service in the used club, but on the east cost I think they are only located in Maryland and Delaware. I would give them a call before moving there for sure. You can also check price on their website so you know what to expect. Used golf club aren't that cheaper sometimes.

I know a lot of people that goes to the USA from Canada end up being fitted in PGA superstore / golf galaxy in Myrtle beach since they can generally get huge deal on left handed club most of the time (before pandemic). Fitting service varies from one guy to the other but generally it's not a problem since they all know their spec and just play dumb when getting fit. They usually end up bringing 1 or 2 irons set from down south every year to resell them in Canada.

If you can give us more info about the person, Height, Weight, swing speed, this would help us more to give you something more specific. Won't be perfect like a fitter but can point you in the right direction.