TESTERS WANTED! ×

Choosing Online Instructor

Hey y’all!  This is my first post here. I recently went through surgery for colon cancer and I want to start back playing and practicing.  I want to try some online lessons but how do you choose?  There’s so many instructors that look good.   If you have used any of these below, or have any tips for picking someone, please comment.  

I’ve looked at quite a few from Skillest.  Dan Carraher, Monte Scheinblum, Jonathan Chown, Dominic Azzopardi, Bill Schmedes, Toby McGeachie, Travis Harrison, Jordan Bazzone, Alex Moore, Nathan Leonhardt, and Jonathan Porter.

I’ve also looked at some programs that include swing analysis from Dan Whittaker, Shawn Clements, Eric Cogorno, Jonathon Yarwood, and Athletic Motion Golf. 

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75
:callaway-small: Apex Pro 2019 Irons Dynamic Gold S400 
:taylormade-small: Sim Ti 3w 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70 
:titelist-small: ProV1X
:titelist-small: Bag

25 minutes ago, Checkerfred said:

Hey y’all!  This is my first post here. I recently went through surgery for colon cancer and I want to start back playing and practicing.  I want to try some online lessons but how do you choose?  There’s so many instructors that look good.   If you have used any of these below, or have any tips for picking someone, please comment.  

I’ve looked at quite a few from Skillest.  Dan Carraher, Monte Scheinblum, Jonathan Chown, Dominic Azzopardi, Bill Schmedes, Toby McGeachie, Travis Harrison, Jordan Bazzone, Alex Moore, Nathan Leonhardt, and Jonathan Porter.

I’ve also looked at some programs that include swing analysis from Dan Whittaker, Shawn Clements, Eric Cogorno, Jonathon Yarwood, and Athletic Motion Golf. 

I have had lessons from four of the instructors in your list above. First off, if budget is a concern, that should be one of the first criteria. Second, all the instructors I have worked with online: Monte, Jonathan Chown, Alex Moore, and Dan Carraher, have different communication styles, and how they communicate what you should focus on. For example, Monte identify and tell you two to three things to work on that are the highest priority issues and won't really talk about other issues you may have. Others, such as Jonathan, also will help to identify what the most pressing issues are, but is open to more back and forth on discussing other items you may want to bring up as well. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, Checkerfred said:

It’s no different than choosing an in person one. Check reviews, check their social media to get an understanding of them and their teaching philosophies and methods. Shoot them a message with questions. Based on what you know pick one that you think matches best with your thoughts. Just like with an in person instructor if it’s not working out then move on.

You have a pretty good list there if some highly recommended instructors. I would add TJ Yeaton to the list and don’t sleep on George Gankas course. He’s adding some more stuff to it soon.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have had lessons from four of the instructors in your list above. First off, if budget is a concern, that should be one of the first criteria. Second, all the instructors I have worked with online: Monte, Jonathan Chown, Alex Moore, and Dan Carraher, have different communication styles, and how they communicate what you should focus on. For example, Monte identify and tell you two to three things to work on that are the highest priority issues and won't really talk about other issues you may have. Others, such as Jonathan, also will help to identify what the most pressing issues are, but is open to more back and forth on discussing other items you may want to bring up as well. 

How did they all compare with each other as far as follow up communication while you were making changes?  

:cameron-small: Studio Design 2.5 putter. :titelist-small: SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M:callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 9* Driver Project X Hazardous Yellow 75

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s no different than choosing an in person one. Check reviews, check their social media to get an understanding of them and their teaching philosophies and methods. Shoot them a message with questions. Based on what you know pick one that you think matches best with your thoughts. Just like with an in person instructor if it’s not working out then move on.

You have a pretty good list there if some highly recommended instructors. I would add TJ Yeaton to the list and don’t sleep on George Gankas course. He’s adding some more stuff to it soon.

Thanks for the reply! I considered Gankas but his program didn’t make mention of swing analysis. It seemed like it was just a program you work through on your own and it requires a year long commitment even if paying monthly.  I emailed asking if it included analysis because some people said it used to, but never heard back.  I’ll check out TJ. 

59 minutes ago, Checkerfred said:

Thanks for the reply! I considered Gankas but his program didn’t make mention of swing analysis. It seemed like it was just a program you work through on your own and it requires a year long commitment even if paying monthly.  I emailed asking if it included analysis because some people said it used to, but never heard back.  I’ll check out TJ. 

I think it’s at the 30 day mark you can post still photos of your swing then at the 45 day mark you can post 2 videos per week

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think it’s at the 30 day mark you can post still photos of your swing then at the 45 day mark you can post 2 videos per week

I just received an email after I posted that lol.  Odd timing. They said it does include analysis but didn’t say when. I had read somewhere else the same thing you posted. I’ll have to consider that now too