TESTERS WANTED! ×

Timidly stepping out of the super game improvement space

vandyland

SGI, GI Player's distance irons, blade, player's irons, the golf OEM decide in which one their irons set belong...

A Ping GI could be a Mizuno player's distance... I would simply try a bunch of them first for the feel / look then would get fitted.

I think cobra F9 are Game improvement if I remember correctly, the Super game improvement are F-max.

I wouldn't really mind about the loft either and distance but more about the ability to hold green and distance consistency. I would hit bad shot also while getting fitted ON PURPOSE to see how they behave.

I play ping G425, everyone know when they hit a bad shot, I tend to be a little vocal about it when I do and half the time my ball end up very close to my target, my golf partner often tell me to shut the *** ** because my ball ended on the green, I didn't had a good height, wasn't a well struck ball but it still ended in a good place. Make sure the irons you get, whatever the category you try, that they still offer you some of that forgiveness from a GI / SGI.

If you like the Cobra king tour with MIM tech then by any means, get fit for those if you want, these are very good irons, great reviews overall including mygolfspy.

Got the demo 6 and 9 iron for the 639 CB and had my first range session today (no trackman). First off, I love the way they look. Much better in person and since they are demos they have a little bit of wear on them so I can see how the black will react over time, which I like. I found I hit them pretty well and they do exactly what they set out to do, there is some forgiveness strikes well out of the sweet spot give feedback which I have not ever felt in my F9s. On the range I did a little test between my Cobra F9 9 iron, the 639 CB Iron and a Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 9 iron (blade iron from the 70s). The goal was to hit enough shots with each to feel what a bad, good and great shot felt like and the penalties and rewards were for each. On toe strikes, the F9 offers very little feedback aside from a slight twisting feeling from the strike. The 639 will tell you when you have thinned it or toed it with the penalties on toe strikes being more severe on distance but, interestingly, less severe on direction. This could all be coincidence or difference in strike since I am not an Iron Byron but overall my ball flight with the F9 was a slight fade, the 639s were straighter...especially on good-great strikes. Ball flight was lower with the 639s and obviously the sound/feel was better. I included the Sam Snead because it is especially punishing on misses and I found I was hitting it pretty well today but when I did miss a bit out of the sweet spot it was more jarring and penal than the 639 which is what I would want/expect. 639 probably carried about 5-10 yard less but that is to be expected due to loft, length of club, etc. 

Another comparison was on flighted shots (trying to hit a 115-120 yard 9 iron) which is where the 639 really shined. This is just something the F9 cannot reliably do. The ball comes off the F9 so explosively that it could still go 130 on a 3/4 shot but the 639 is very controllable. 

Finally, I hit the 6 irons against each other. No BS, I was really surprised that I think I hit the 639CB better than the F9. Flight was better and again, a bit straighter than the with the F9. If it were a question of the F9 vs 639 CB I think I already have a winner but I have the Ben Hogan coming this week to compare it against. Additionally, I am not sure if the 639 CB beat the Cobra MIM Tour. I would say possibly not. The 639CB can still be quite harsh and I do wonder if I can hang with it on my bad days. Anyway, I will be posting pictures of the clubs as they come in and how they compare. 

Summary - 639CB is exactly as advertised. A cavity back that gives you control and feedback while also looking great (in black), just have to make sure you are up to the task. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

image.jpeg.d4f50296664193632cb276cba3bf9d62.jpegimage.jpeg.bf5ed71174bf218a12f7687a82ee6158.jpeg

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Comparison of the 6 irons, 639 cb vs F9 and at address.

image.jpeg.37869dc1110efee9f86c7623d625cb97.jpeg

image.jpeg.c58166f6b90d3b0baaacfa2cab0977f0.jpeg

the “effective” sole widths are relatively close since the F9 has a “bump” at the bottom but I am liking the slimmer feel of the 639cb. Ball flight actually wasn’t dramatically lower with 639s but that’s a good thing since I don’t play in much wind and would still like these to stop reasonably well. 

Got the Ben Hogan PTXpro 7 iron today and hit it at the range along with the 639CBs. Wasn't hitting it very good today so it was a good test of "forgiveness" and probably a good reflection of what it will be like on those days when I don't have it. It isn't a 1 to 1 comparison since I have a 6 and a 9 iron in the 639 CB and a 7 iron in the Ben Hogan but, surprisingly, I felt like the CB was easier to get along with. I didn't notice much difference or effect of the "V sole" from the hogan today. But, again, I was hitting like 30% of my first 30 balls out on the toe. I could tell where I was missing it on both clubs and I was punished similarly. On dead center strikes I was liking the 639CB today but it is only one session. 

I also hit my F9s as a comparison (they were also out on the toe) and the forgiveness wasn't really noticeably different. What was different is I couldn't "feel" the miss on my F9s but I knew it was out on the toe based on the ball flight and due to the fact that I was switching clubs every 3 shots and knew the Hogan and 639s were out on the toe. So, now I am starting to get spoiled by knowing where I missed the shot and I know now there is no way I can go back to the F9s, truly. 

The Hogans are stunning to look at though and I want to like them as I have an affinity for Ben Hogan brand (knowing they have gone through several owners). But right now the Sub 70s are the leader in the DTC space for me. I ordered two New Level clubs, the MODB-1 and 902 forged demoes that should be here by the end of the week. Then I will hop on the Trackman and test these again each other and hopefully the Cobra MIM which is in pole position.   

Uploaded a shot of the Ben Hogan PTXpro (really a beautiful club) and the sole widths of the PTXpro (on left) and 639CB. So far I am surprised at my definition of forgiveness and feel vs what I am told and expecting. I expected the Ben Hogans to be "easier to hit" (whatever that means) but didn't see that in practice. In reality there wasn't much between the 639CB 6 iron and the BH PTXpro 7 iron, performance wise. In the middle of my session I had an informal "test" aiming at a flag 170 yards out where I would hit 5 shots with each club, alternating every shot. I was playing at a pretty beat up range so the grass was rather thin and thus the margins on great contact were a little tighter. Ball was definitely not "sitting up" but the ground wasn't super hard as there is a layer of sand under all the range grass. Really kind of an interesting/challenging setup, haha. I think this led to a few more thin shots than I normally have (more on that later) since I was really trying to pick it. 

PTXpro
Thin, straight, flew about the correct distance but felt harsh from the mishit (as to be expected)
Great contact, slight fade with a muted feeling at impact but not necessarily "soft" to me
Slightly out of the toe but still flew most of the way (again getting good feedback on these)
Perfect contact, dead straight, semi-soft feel and the correct distance on carry
Thin, straight flight, most of the distance. Definitely could feel it right away. Felt the same as the 4th shot (thin) with the 639cb.

639CB
Perfect 3 yard draw, soft thump at impact carried about 5 yards past flag
Good contact but open club face at impact (started right and faded), probably 15-20 yards right of target
Really just hit this shot a bit fat, nothing else to say about it. Operator error.
Hit this a bit thin but still went the right distance but probably lacked much spin
Good strike out of the center. Felt soft and thumpy. 

What I am noticing/liking/enjoying is that if I was just looking at ball flight I probably wouldn't know some of these were thin. For PRACTICE that is obviously helpful and for someone who is working on their game, taking lessons, etc. I think this kind of feedback is paramount. Of course the flip side is I haven't played, on course, with these clubs or gone through a prolonged period where I didn't play and had to come back to these. So I was thinking what do I wish these clubs did differently? 

639CBs - these really do what they are billed to do. I am getting used to the lack of "explosiveness" off the clubface (that game improvement irons provide) and really I just need to hit it out the center more. When you hit a great shot you get exactly what you asked it to do. 

PTXpro - I wish the feel was a bit softer but maybe that is what the Icon is for (definitely not good enough for that). I need to have another session with it but to me it either needs to be softer on the face or more explosive on shots. To me, in this short test it was kind of a tweener. It does tell you when you missed but I didn't have any tuning fork in the loins feeling when I pured one but again, I wasn't puring shot after shot today so will have to keep at it. 

Hogan PTXpro.jpg

Sole width.jpg

Very interested in this, how many irons are left to test?

• Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9* 
  • Woods: Cobra LTDx 14.5*
  • Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3 Hybrid
  • Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 60* and 56*, SM8 50*
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5

First trackman session today, good chance to see if what I am seeing and feeling is coming through in the data. Coming into it I expected the Hogan to launch the highest and spin the most, the 639 CB to flight the lowest and spin about middle and the cobra to flight middle but spin less. The Sub 70 is a 6 iron (28*) and the Hogan is a traditionally lofted 7 iron (34*) so I expected a large distance gap between them. I took the PGA Tour averages (I know I am nowhere near them but just to get an idea) even though their lofts might vary. Just seemed like some kind of a baseline performance to test against. There were some surprising results. (DISCLAIMER: I am not an elite ball-striker. I am not a fitter. I am not an equipment expert. I am just a guy trying to intensely over analyze a buying decision that I have typically made impulsively. Do not assume that one person's opinion is anything other than a single data point. So far all the clubs I have hit do something very well and have a specific intention that may or may not suit ME.)

image.png.dedbbb8e8158455796c3aa81342f62ff.png

Here's my numbers, I accumulated 10 average or better shots. I threw out mishit shots and counted how many mishits I had. I also did a very subjective "strike quality" indicator that I was tracking on each shot. A is average, AA is above average and AAA is absolutely pured. This is all based on the feel of the shot in the moment and not the numbers on the trackman so there could be some incongruity between me saying I "AAA"'d a shot and then the numbers not bearing that out. I was trying to swing as I would on the course, at a target and with my preshot routine and all that. I would hit 5 of each club and then switch. I had a good warmup before I started tracking swing data. 

Cobra MIM Tour - 7 iron - 33* - Nippon Modus 120 Stiff - good spin, but had one "flier" in there mostly due to low spin likely due to strike location. Interesting I don't recall feeling like it was hit dramatically different.

image.png.6a2e6e0c21e39e4ac4aed2ab4af1cc2e.png

Ben Hogan PTxPro - 7 iron - 34* - KBS Tour V Stiff - highest spin rate (has the highest loft) and tightest distance dispersion and ball speed (also could be loft related)

image.png.1266b261a2cfbd816cefa69ba4f253a6.png

Sub 70 639CB - 6 iron - 28* - KBS Tour 120 Stiff - Actually kind of high spinning, especially considering this was with range balls, definitely some sizeable distance differences due to my inconsistent strike location. What is interesting is what I thought was my "best strike quality" was my shortest carry. Maybe I caught it slightly fat and didn't know that "feel"? The 20 yard distance dispersion is concerning but that is, again, due to my strike location and not the club. 

image.png.f8ef171f563d88bb380ab77f106b353f.png

I am still digesting what all these numbers mean but here is what I felt. My attack looks steep on the shots where it was tracked but didn't feel like I was taking huge divots (for me) and overall I was hitting the ball quite well today.

SUB 70 - The Sub 70 639CB is very much in its own category. This is a players cavity and it continues to do that very well. Flushed shots feel so so good and rewarding and soft yet solid. Feedback is very specific and I have awareness all across the clubface like I have never had it. The clubs look great in the all black and I like how the demos are wearing. Ultimately, this club does nothing wrong but the question is when I am hitting the ball below average would I be able to game these? But this club is much different in construction and feel to the Ben Hogan and Cobra. 

Ben Hogan - The PTxPro did much better today, mainly because I think I was much better. This club had better feel today for me but definitely feels springier, more explosive off the clubface than the Sub 70. This is closer to a players distance iron obviously so that makes sense. It feels the "fastest" of the 3 off the face which has its pros and cons. I think this club may have the most "forgiveness" on mishits BUT I also have the least amount of feedback and I can't always tell where I mishit it. Spin was really good and it seems like these may be the most "consistent" on distance, shot to shot. 

Cobra - The MIM performed the same as last time. Very solid and "heavy" feeling on centered shots which feels very good but in a different way to the 639CB. The look at address suits my eye as I have had a number of cobra clubs in the past. In comparison to the Sub 70 and Hogan, this is much closer to the Hogan in terms of feedback and forgiveness and overall feel. The MIM is softer, feedback is a bit more specific and mishits might be punished slightly more. Cobra, to me, sits between the Hogan and Sub 70 in terms of a bridge between a players distance-y iron (albeit with traditional lofts and better spin) and a players CB. The thing that surprises me every time I hit these is how easy they feel to swing "fast". It may be related to the Nippon shaft. 

If I am giving out awards for each iron, I would say the Sub 70 639CB has the "best feedback", the Hogan has the "best playability" and the best "bridge or tweener or maybe all around" iron. They all separated themselves today for me but the decision isn't really any easier. I have to decide who I think I am going to be as a player in a month, a quarter and a year. I could game all of these and I think they would benefit me, in different ways. If I was playing in a tournament tomorrow for my life, I would play the Cobras because I have had two back to back good sessions with them. If knew I was going to stop practicing as much and spend more time with my kids, I would get the Hogans. If I knew I was going to continue on my trajectory (albeit with diminishing improvement as I approach lower HDCP) and keep my practice schedule, I would get the 639CBs. 

TLDR: Would, selfishly, love anyone else's opinion on these numbers. If you don't want to read all the drivel above, please just look at the charts from my trackman data.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:25 PM, Ethan21 said:

Very interested in this, how many irons are left to test?

Oh man, the number seems to be increasing rather than decreasing. I have two New Level Clubs on the way (MODB-1 and 902 Forged). To be honest, I think the MODB-1 will be too hot and low spin so I have a bias towards the 902 forged already which should compare directly the Sub 70 639CB. I think I will revisit the Mizuno JPX Tour since they are sitting right in my coach's studio and possibly the MP-20 HMB. I am planning on hitting the Srixon ZX5 and Callaway Apex (maybe Apex Pros as well). I have to cut it off there or I will go broke demoing clubs. The only other clubs I would consider trying are the Sub 70 699 Pros but I think they, again, may be a little hot/low spin like I am expecting the MODB-1 to be and like the Cobra Forged TECs were. 

14 minutes ago, vandyland said:

TLDR: Would, selfishly, love anyone else's opinion on these numbers. If you don't want to read all the drivel above, please just look at the charts from my trackman data.

I personally think the Hogan numbers look the most consistent. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I personally think the Hogan numbers look the most consistent.

I agree which is why the numbers can be so helpful. I didn't like the "feel" as much in the Hogans so I was kind of discounting them but, again, if I had to play for my life right now they would go in the bag. Also love the way they look and I had hogans a decade ago so I have some affinity there. Today was very surprising for me. Again, it kind of gave me pause on the MIM Tours because of the flier(s) I had. This isn't as easy as I thought. 

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

I agree which is why the numbers can be so helpful. I didn't like the "feel" as much in the Hogans so I was kind of discounting them but, again, if I had to play for my life right now they would go in the bag. Also love the way they look and I had hogans a decade ago so I have some affinity there. Today was very surprising for me. Again, it kind of gave me pause on the MIM Tours because of the flier(s) I had. This isn't as easy as I thought. 

It isn’t. And too be Frank it will change on a daily basis. As you get better some things may fly better. Off days will have off results as well. Love your journey and think it’s cool how you are going about it. Interested for when my time comes for new irons, and likely graphite shafts, and plan to give a DTC a try. The hogans are high on my list if they are still around when I need them due to the V sole. The Sub70s are also gorgeous 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Thanks for sharing the data it was a great read. I wonder if any of those spins were estimated, they would have been in italics on the display. Just something to keep in mind. They all seemed to perform well and hope the others are in the same category.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Are you going to try the MP-20 MMC if you try the HMB? If you have access to them at least.

Edited by Ethan21

I have heard that MP-20 is getting phased out. Mizuno told my fitter that MMC and standard MP20 is low on inventory and not coming back. Apparently they still have a lot of HMB heads. 

21 hours ago, vandyland said:

I have heard that MP-20 is getting phased out. Mizuno told my fitter that MMC and standard MP20 is low on inventory and not coming back. Apparently they still have a lot of HMB heads. 

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. Good to know though.

4 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

Interesting, I hadn't heard that. Good to know though.

MP line every 2 years. The mp20s were available for retail in late summer or early fall 2019

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The New Levels (MODB-1 and 902 Forged) are arriving today. I have my biases going into it which will likely be wrong but want to memorialize them here so I can laugh later. I am expecting the MODB-1s to be the most explosive iron I've tested so far and feel similar to my F9s I currently have. I ordered them as part of the demo kind of just on a whim and because I was feeling less confident at that moment. See, I'm already discounting them and that's not really very fair. 

The 902 Forged, I have high expectations for these. I am sadly sending the 639CBs back because they are a touch too penalizing on my bad swings but they feel so good. If, somehow, the 902s are a unicorn for me that can feel as solid/soft as the Sub70s AND give me a little more grace on my average/below average strikes then that would be the ideal outcome. Putting unreal expectations on a club is unfair but I did that with the Ben Hogans and Sub 70s so this is only fair. 

The New Level 902 forged

image.jpeg.1ba09fc0a60e45303185cd4bd424ccc6.jpeg

image.jpeg.98f7bf96fb82fefb0d7329d2df97a96b.jpeg

sole comparison from left to right, 902 / PTx Pro / MODB-1

image.jpeg.73195697907e6c059b47974eb0592ca3.jpeg

MODB-1

image.jpeg.c376cb697011f7bc9eb81d616b4d089b.jpeg

sole of modb-1, noticeably wider and longer

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got up at 6:30 am today to go hit range balls because I couldn't wait any longer. This is all feel and sight and I will hopefully get on the Trackman this weekend. I took the PtxPro v. 902 Forged v. MODB-1

PTxPro - steady eddie over here. Launches mid-high, consistent distances, ho-hum. The one thing I was doing today was losing these left a bit which I haven't seen on any other irons. Could be the offset, could be the operator, could be the earth's axis. These are still finalists. 

902 Forged - these were great today. Shorter blade length felt like it made me focus a bit more and really fit my eye. Since I lose it out on the toe there was a subconscious thought of "it's going to be harder to miss it on the toe". That very may well be not true at all but that was the thought. Feel was soft but dare I say not quite as soft as the 639CBs? That said, I didn't have any harsh misses so either (a) I was centering it or close to it on all my shots (b) these are a touch more forgiving/less feeling. I was very tight on dispersion with these and distances were quite consistent. It was hard to put this club down to test the MODB-1. I am probably putting too much pressure on these but I am eagerly awaiting what trackman says. These could very well be finalists. 

MODB-1 - rocket launchers, both good and bad. These are players distance irons and to me would compare to Cobra Forged TECs. The feel was obviously less soft and specific vs 902 forged but I toed one rather badly (felt the club twist) and it still went 90% of the distance. That's the good. The bad is I hit some absolute lasers that probably flew 15 yards past my target. This almost felt like a driving iron on a perfect shot, a hint of click but less than my F9s. I could see me combo-ing these with the 902 forged if I didn't already play a 4 and 5 hybrid. Personally, there is no way I would trust these on the 8-PW because I would imagine I could hit a PW anywhere from 130-150 with a similar speed swing and that is a current issue I am trying to fix by upgrading my gamers. I will still test this on Trackman to make sure I am not spreading disinformation. Nice club to look at and would still probably play this over my F9s. Probably going to get dropped from coverage unless Trackman presents some compelling info. 

One question for any gear guys/gals - I have the KBS 120 C Taper in these and, to my eye, this is flighting them lower (and also a claim backed up by KBS' marketing department, if they are to be believed). Would such a shaft have any impact on "feel?" The Sub 70s have a KBS tour 120 shaft that to me feels a tad "softer". Would that contribute to feel on a center strike?

4 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Got up at 6:30 am today to go hit range balls because I couldn't wait any longer. This is all feel and sight and I will hopefully get on the Trackman this weekend. I took the PtxPro v. 902 Forged v. MODB-1

PTxPro - steady eddie over here. Launches mid-high, consistent distances, ho-hum. The one thing I was doing today was losing these left a bit which I haven't seen on any other irons. Could be the offset, could be the operator, could be the earth's axis. These are still finalists. 

902 Forged - these were great today. Shorter blade length felt like it made me focus a bit more and really fit my eye. Since I lose it out on the toe there was a subconscious thought of "it's going to be harder to miss it on the toe". That very may well be not true at all but that was the thought. Feel was soft but dare I say not quite as soft as the 639CBs? That said, I didn't have any harsh misses so either (a) I was centering it or close to it on all my shots (b) these are a touch more forgiving/less feeling. I was very tight on dispersion with these and distances were quite consistent. It was hard to put this club down to test the MODB-1. I am probably putting too much pressure on these but I am eagerly awaiting what trackman says. These could very well be finalists. 

MODB-1 - rocket launchers, both good and bad. These are players distance irons and to me would compare to Cobra Forged TECs. The feel was obviously less soft and specific vs 902 forged but I toed one rather badly (felt the club twist) and it still went 90% of the distance. That's the good. The bad is I hit some absolute lasers that probably flew 15 yards past my target. This almost felt like a driving iron on a perfect shot, a hint of click but less than my F9s. I could see me combo-ing these with the 902 forged if I didn't already play a 4 and 5 hybrid. Personally, there is no way I would trust these on the 8-PW because I would imagine I could hit a PW anywhere from 130-150 with a similar speed swing and that is a current issue I am trying to fix by upgrading my gamers. I will still test this on Trackman to make sure I am not spreading disinformation. Nice club to look at and would still probably play this over my F9s. Probably going to get dropped from coverage unless Trackman presents some compelling info. 

One question for any gear guys/gals - I have the KBS 120 C Taper in these and, to my eye, this is flighting them lower (and also a claim backed up by KBS' marketing department, if they are to be believed). Would such a shaft have any impact on "feel?" The Sub 70s have a KBS tour 120 shaft that to me feels a tad "softer". Would that contribute to feel on a center strike?

Shafts in general can have an impact on feel. They can impact how the weighting and balance feels to a person as well as how they feel when making contact with the ball and the feedback received in the hands and arms.

As for the c tapers they are going to feel harsher than the tour. I was not a fan of the c taper and have a buddy who swings faster than me that played them for a year and hated them as well and switched out of them. He’s gone thru px and iirc dg x100 again

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I see you play the Nippon Modus in your irons. So far, I feel like I like that shaft the best (it is what my instructor has recommended for me in the past), however it is going to increase the cost of a set of irons like $120-$150 over the KBS Tour V. I guess I just have to decide if there is a discernible difference for me that justifies that cost. If I settle on a head I like that can be the next rabbit hole I guess, haha. If you can't tell, I'm enjoying this a little too much.

7 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I see you play the Nippon Modus in your irons. So far, I feel like I like that shaft the best (it is what my instructor has recommended for me in the past), however it is going to increase the cost of a set of irons like $120-$150 over the KBS Tour V. I guess I just have to decide if there is a discernible difference for me that justifies that cost. If I settle on a head I like that can be the next rabbit hole I guess, haha. If you can't tell, I'm enjoying this a little too much.

Yeah I’ve played the modus 120 now in 3 different heads and have liked it. It’s been a popular shaft for several brands in the 120 and 105 versions. 

The modus 120 give me a good feel in weight and balance and I don’t have any issues in how they feel when I most hit a shot. Other than how the balance in weight feels between the 120 and 105 I haven’t seen much difference in ball flight between the two, just can’t get past the lighter feel of the 105. 

If some of the brands I played offered recoil 110s in the irons I would just convert at purchase but there’s only a few that offer them even as an upcharge. But more than likely I’m just going to end up sourcing them and having will peoples do my builds going forward. 

Second and final trackman session this weekend, good chance to see if what I am seeing and feeling is coming through in the data. Coming into it I expected the MODB-1 to carry the farthest with the fastest ball speed but have inconsistent spin, the Mizuno MP-20 MMC to flight the lowest and spin the most and the New Level 902 to be in the middle. All clubs tested are 7 irons but the MODB-1 is 30* vs Mizuno and New Level at 32*. I took the PGA Tour averages (I know I am nowhere near them but just to get an idea) even though their lofts might vary. Just seemed like some kind of a baseline performance to test against. Again, there were some surprising results. (DISCLAIMER: I am not an elite ball-striker. I am not a fitter. I am not an equipment expert. I am just a guy trying to intensely over analyze a buying decision that I have typically made impulsively. Do not assume that one person's opinion is anything other than a single data point. So far all the clubs I have hit do something very well and have a specific intention that may or may not suit ME.)

Here's my numbers, I accumulated 10 average or better shots. I threw out mishit shots and counted how many mishits I had. I also did a very subjective "strike quality" indicator that I was tracking on each shot. A is average, AA is above average and AAA is absolutely pured. This is all based on the feel of the shot in the moment and not the numbers on the trackman so there could be some incongruity between me saying I "AAA"'d a shot and then the numbers not bearing that out. I was trying to swing as I would on the course, at a target and with my preshot routine and all that. I would hit 5 of each club and then switch. I played 18 holes before hand (and used the clubs in this demo whenever possible for approach shots) so I was warmed up and, potentially, a bit tired as I walked in 90* heat. 

New Level MODB-1 7 iron at 30* in a KBS C Taper Stiff - really easy to hit, felt hottish off the face but gave some feedback and some softness but definitely had the feel closer to a players distance iron. Launch actually looked a bit low but let's see the numbers

image.png.17dae92fae2196ac0bf9d38b3a6ffe37.png

Have to say that I was very pleased, surprised, impressed by the low variability across the board (ESPECIALLY IN SPIN, that is probably the smallest range I have had on any iron. The only thing is launch was visibly low and it is low on the chart. See dispersion below as well which was good but had a tendency to flare right a tad (this is my miss which is more of a block than a fade):

image.png.de7c77b45ac9f5722e6aa332eb182788.png

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 7 iron at 32* in a Nippon Modus 120 Stiff - Really nice looking iron that looks better in person. Had a good bit of tech in it that I could feel and I would say it reminded me of the Cobra MIM Tour in feel at impact (solid/soft) but was a tad less forgiving. Felt hottish off the face for the type of iron it was so I expected ball speed to be decent to good. 

image.png.f00e559fa5cc2ea5615c4f7d11b9d2c0.png

Spin and carry variability were all over the place. When I pured this iron it was nuclear, distance wise, and had some serious jumpers for me (like the Cobra MIM). Good feedback on misses and soft on center strikes (but not as soft as the 639CB, that was the softest iron I hit!). Ultimately, this is too much club for me as I am not quite consistent enough (see my attack angle as the main culprit) for it. Also, it is basically sold out so I wouldn't be able to get it anyway (new). So this was a fool's errand from the start. Dispersion below:

image.png.0fcd3bb19b2a7537bf29047e81dc2c37.png

New Level 902 Forged 7 iron at 32* with KBS C Taper - I had unreasonably high hopes for this iron. It does a lot of good things, it was slightly more forgiving that other one piece CBs I have hit and had a nice soft muted feel on center strikes. Well constructed and attractive. But it definitely lacked a little ball speed which would be fine if I got a bunch of "control" from that but based on the numbers it isn't a match FOR ME.

image.png.5183d24bf6d6f00ccdd9ab0114ed76f3.png

The main takeaway was I had a lot of throwaway shots (4) on this club. I "felt" like it was more forgiving that the Mizuno but I think it may have just been that the Mizuno had harsher feedback. When I went and looked at the throwaways, this club lost way more ball speed on mishits. That said, on solid hits the range is more manageable than the Mizuno BUT less impressive than the MODB-1. Dispersion below:

image.png.094b87e76614a4ba5b6571b031ed47c4.png

All in all, the MODB-1 won this group which was shocking to me. I thought the MODB-1 was a bit of an afterthought as I was a tad chunkier than I wanted it to be and has this rounded bottom that looks a bit like a whale's tail but the club just worked for me on the day and during the 18 hole round. I had a second shot into a par 5 that was a 175 carry over a bunker (181 to the flag) and I pured it to like 12 feet (missed the eagle putt of course). Hit two other MODB-1s from 165-175 out and GIRs both times. Hit the New Level twice and flew a green by 5 yards once and had a GIR on the other. Hit the Mizunos twice and had GIRs both times but was 30 and 45 ft away on those. From a confidence standpoint the MODB-1s were the top and then seeing the numbers come out better two made the MODB-1s the clear winner in this group.

It’s cool you found something out of your testing that worked for you. The loft and shafts in each wasn’t exactly an apple to apples comparison.  But if not going to do an actual fitting or to further test on your own with a specific head and/or shaft to find the best combo then you could go with what you have here

So there is now a championship final between the New Level MODB-1 and the Ben Hogan PTxPros. These two irons were the most consistent in my testing and so now they have made it through my bracket and are facing off with my instructor who is also a fitter. I will have him put me through the paces with the two irons and we will come to a consensus. To refresh:

Ben Hogan PTxPro took down the following clubs: Cobra MIM Tour, Mizuno JPX 919 Tour, Sub 70 639CB, Mizuno JPX Forged

New Level MODB-1 took down the following clubs: Mizuno MP-20 MMC, Mizuno MP-20 HMB, New Level 902 Forged, Cobra Forged TEC

Ultimately, this is more a reflection on my game and not the clubs. I don't have anything truly negative to say about any of the clubs I tested and I think I could game all of them on my better days. The key takeaway I have now is that Direct to Consumer clubs can absolutely compete (and surpass) major OEM offerings. I do want to toss out some winners from my testing:

Best Feel/Feedback - Sub 70 639 CBs. Best feeling irons I hit and it wasn't close and mishits were very specific. 

Best Looking - The Mizuno MP-20 MMCs were beautiful in person. They look much better in hand than on the website.

Most Surprising - New Level MODB-1s, their consistency was a total shock. 

Mother Teresa's (most forgiving) - To me, this is a tie between the Forged TEC and the Ben Hogans. 

We have a winner. Hit the New Level MODB-1s vs the Ben Hogan PTxPros on Trackman with my coach/fitter/spiritual guru with the understanding that the numbers would guide us. The short answer is the PTxPros won and I already placed an order for 5-PW. Added bonus is that Ben Hogan is running a special where they will boost your trade-in value on your clubs 50% for any purchase this month. Great! I was already planning on buying them and then I saw that. Serendipity!

To determine the winner, I would hit 3 shots with the PTx then 3 shots with the MODB-1 and then repeat for a total of 12 full shots. Also hit 5 shaped shots with each which is trying to flight draws down. Anything terrible was discarded (there were 2 terrible shots out of the 34, one on each...how fitting). Key metrics were consistency across carry distance, spin, land angle, launch and dispersion. To be honest this was pretty close. The MODB-1s are much better than I gave them credit for and just kept making this difficult. Where the Hogans separated, for me, was the launch and land angle control. I can hit Hogans high (like really high), middle and low. I have never really had irons that can do that. The MODB-1s launched fairly low for me and that was really all I could do was hit them lowish middle and really low. We don't have a ton of wind here in Nashville but we do have some baked out greens so being able to hit it high and low is key. Also, I had a wider dispersion with the MODB-1s. In talking with my coach, I wanted to get his opinion on if this was entirely to do with the fact that MODB-1s are 4* stronger. Based on the dispersion, I was blocking the MODB-1s slightly and the longer blade length made me wonder if I wanted a clubface that long in the shorter irons. 

If hybrids didn't work so well for me, I could see a world where I had a 4 and 5 iron in the MODB-1. They are easy to hit and have good ball speed but still spin a good bit, just flighted down. They actually launched lower than my New Level 902 demos (and more than just 2* of loft separation would provide) which was interesting. 

Quick Summary:

Feel - PTxPro more specific feedback and a bit softer on center strikes

Spin - PTxPro spins a bit more, even when normalizing for the difference in lofts, which is what I wanted but the MODB-1s spun a little more consistently. 

Look - PTxPros look better to my eye with a shorter blade length.

Ease of use/forgiveness - MODB-1s are very easy to launch

Control - this is subjective but I felt like the Hogans were easier to manipulate high, low, left right. 

Both great clubs and I think I would have been fine with either. Hogans are going to look really good in the bag and that matters too, I guess. 

Edited by vandyland

• 2 months later...

As an update to this we are about 7 rounds later and I have no regrets about the iron change. Overall GIR is up (both overall and on iron approaches) and, anecdotally, dispersion seems much tighter on left to right misses with the Hogan vs the Cobra F9s. Spin is also higher and more consistent so well struck balls seem to fly more consistent distances. Very pleased and I still just stare at these irons when they are in my bag. They looking absolutely beautiful. Definitely liking the heavier shafts as well. Overall I am very pleased. 

The only negative I have noticed is that, as noted previously, the "feel" of these Hogans is not quite what I would expect. I am still disappointed when I mishit a shot and I have no idea where I hit it on the face. I can often guess by the ball flight but there is no specific feedback with these like I had with the Sub 70 639 CBs and Mizuno MP-20 MMC. Sigh, you can't have it all. The flipside to that is they perform VERY WELL on thinned shots I have found. That is now my miss and I get away with it all the time. 

46 minutes ago, vandyland said:

The only negative I have noticed is that, as noted previously, the "feel" of these Hogans is not quite what I would expect. I am still disappointed when I mishit a shot and I have no idea where I hit it on the face

Is this more sound than feel? Setting aside the shots that are 100% pure strikes some clubs have a different sound from a center strike and an off center one, some don’t have any and the only difference in sound is the pure strike from a regular one.

In my experience the players category and to some extent payers distance the feel in the hands from vibration as well as club twisting are noticeable enough to know where the shot was struck. When I talk feel this is what i reference