Timidly stepping out of the super game improvement space

vandyland

10 hours ago, vandyland said:

Definitely including the PTx Pro in my testing. I just love how those clubs look and I have always wanted an excuse to get back in some Hogans. And, of course, the Icons look amazing but I am trying hard not to be seduced here. I have found I am liking a thinner sole on the club but also have to remind myself it hasn't rained in like 3 weeks so everything is extremely baked out here in TN. 

@bens197 - did you have to get the Nippon Modus 120 and put in yourself? I don't see it as an option on their website and that is the shaft I recently tested that I like (coming from a KBS Tour 90 which is definitely too light). In a pinch I guess I could get a TT X100 shaft as that seems to be the only 120g shaft they offer? Not ideal.

They arrived with Tour V and I did the Modus install on my own after member testing.  A year removed from beginning the test and these irons aren't going anywhere, I am incredibly pleased with them.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

@golfgod2k those PXGs look surprisingly good! Also, extremely small 😵. The shop where I would go to hit the Apex Pro 21s and TM770s also carries PXG so I will, timidly, check those out. 

@GolfSpy_TCG thank you, I hope I not undoing it or going on some wild goose chase via this equipment odyssey. I agree that any final decisions should be made off of grass. I would only use the turf in a store to, hopefully, narrow down the irons I am trying to consider based on some kind of nebulous "feel". I am standard lie (as of my last lesson) so I don't need anything bent which is helpful and the main change I am making in addition to head is the heavier shaft I referenced earlier. So long as I can find clubs to hit with a 115-125 g shaft then we're good. 

Ben Hogan customer service got back to me and sorted me out! I have a PTXpro headed my way as well as a Sub 70 639-cb. I will post my thoughts here when I get them and then get a chance to hit them if that is of any benefit to others. So the lineup (very much subject to change) to be tested:

1. Cobra MIM Tour - tested alongside Hogan and Sub 70. Hogan beat it on numbers and Sub 70 beat it on feel. 
2. Ben Hogan PTxpro - received demo and tested
3. Sub 70 639-CB and 699 Pro - received 639CB and tested. 639 is too much club for me.  
4. Callaway Apex - will have to hit in the shop
5. TM P770 
6. PXG 0211 ST - ditto (we did not get along)
7. New Level 902 Forged and MODB-1 - may or may not get one sent my way. Who can say?
8. Haywood Signature - may end up being too much of player's distance iron but I could always bend them weak
9. Srixon ZX5 - will have to hit in the shop
10. Mizuno MP-20 HMB - will hit on Saturday

Edited by vandyland
updated post testing
  • Like 2

Nike Sumo 13* Driver - 18* Sim 2 Max 5W - PTxPro 5-PW - Equalizer II Wedges - Seemore FGP Putter

41 minutes ago, vandyland said:

those PXGs look surprisingly good! Also, extremely small 😵. The shop where I would go to hit the Apex Pro 21s and TM770s also carries PXG so I will, timidly, check those out. 

PXG clubs are actually fairly large;  they are not intimidating looking clubs  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :mizuno-small: T20 54-8  :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

@golfgod2k those PXGs look surprisingly good! Also, extremely small 😵. The shop where I would go to hit the Apex Pro 21s and TM770s also carries PXG so I will, timidly, check those out. 

@GolfSpy_TCG thank you, I hope I not undoing it or going on some wild goose chase via this equipment odyssey. I agree that any final decisions should be made off of grass. I would only use the turf in a store to, hopefully, narrow down the irons I am trying to consider based on some kind of nebulous "feel". I am standard lie (as of my last lesson) so I don't need anything bent which is helpful and the main change I am making in addition to head is the heavier shaft I referenced earlier. So long as I can find clubs to hit with a 115-125 g shaft then we're good. 

Ben Hogan customer service got back to me and sorted me out! I have a PTXpro headed my way as well as a Sub 70 639-cb. I will post my thoughts here when I get them and then get a chance to hit them if that is of any benefit to others. So the lineup (very much subject to change) to be tested:

1. Cobra MIM Tour - have already hit off of grass with Trackman and I was very impressed but only compared it to my current F9 OL and 2 players Mizuno heads that I didn't get along with (JPX Tour and JPX forged)
2. Ben Hogan PTxpro - demo is en route
3. Sub 70 639-CB - demo is en route
4. Callaway Apex and Apex Pro - will have to hit these in the shop first
5. TM P770 - ditto
6. PXG 0211 ST - ditto
7. New Level 902 Forged - may or may not get one sent my way. Who can say?

Excited to watch this 'series' unfold! Any stats you get from fitting experience, would you be willing to take a picture for the Forum? I am very excited for you to go through the process.

Driver: Sim 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver 110

3 Wood: Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver

2 Hybrid: Cobra Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0

4-6 Irons: 2021 P790 X-Stiff, KBS Tour FLT

7-PW Irons: 2021 P770 X-Stiff, KBS C-Taper 1* flat

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M

My Putter: LAB Golf B.2

5.5 Handicapped Right Hander from Salt Lake City, Utah

Yep, happy to post numbers from Trackman and even video from the "showdown" (hopefully it is 3 clubs or less) whenever I get there. Less for my own vanity but more so for anyone going through a similar process can determine if I my game/opinion is comparable/credible. For reference I have eliminated the following clubs:

Mizuno JPX921 Tour - Loved the look at address and I think these look much better in person than in pictures. Didn't get a great feel out of the club and felt like the clubs were designed for someone who hits it a little better than I do as I was punished a bit more than I would like on slight mishits. Even on a really well struck shot it didn't feel as "soft" to me as the Cobra MIM which for my game blew these out of the water. 

Mizuno JPX921 Forged - Liked the look of this less compared to the Cobra and JPXtour but it was similar to my F9 in blade length. I hit this one better than JPXtour but I was so spoiled by the feel from the Cobra MIM (which I hit better/more consistently than both Mizunos anyway) that I didn't hit more than 15 balls with it. I'm not sure what "chromoly" is but I didn't love it in this iteration. This is a shame because in my mind I always wanted to be a Mizuno guy but so far I have not been. 

Nike Sumo 13* Driver - 18* Sim 2 Max 5W - PTxPro 5-PW - Equalizer II Wedges - Seemore FGP Putter

4 hours ago, vandyland said:

Also don't forget that there is no such thing as standard lie or length.  The cobra irons you mentioned are 37.25" & 62.5° where as Callaway Apex Pros are 37" & 62° and JPX Tours are 37" 61.5° so you may need the mizunos 1° upright to match the lie of what you are playing now or what you hit well.  Obviously the fitting should take care of this, but don't get hung up on being standard in anything as that varies from one manufacturer to the next and also even between lines from the same manufacturer.

• Like 4

don't get hung up on being standard in anything as that varies from one manufacturer to the next 

@ChitownM2  - I would say that is an extremely important point and one that I, honestly, overlooked. As a person who loves to overanalyze I am now going back to check the specifications sheet on each 7 iron currently in the test (of course, there are always manufacturing tolerances to deal with and the lie on the spec sheet could obviously differ from the singular club I have in my hand). This is one of the great things about a message board is getting feedback and assistance from others!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:53 PM, vandyland said:

What should someone hope for when moving up in a class of irons? How best to test that before making a decision? Is this even necessary?

Having recently been through all this, I'm going to suggest not getting too hung up on iron categories.  First because the lines between a good many products on the market have been blurred to the point they can (and do) keep people from making the right choice.  Second because the choice should be, first and foremost, based on performance with ego checked at the door... easier said than done... looks are a factor.

While my primary goal of recent fitting was to find and switch from steel to composite shafts, my secondary goal was to try and move to the most "player" category iron I could handle - and these goals were shared with my fitter.  So why then after watching me warm up and capturing baseline data with my 6i did he not start pulling T100's, P770, Apex Pro, or i210's?  That would be because he was doing his job.  

When he pulled the ZX5's from the drawer and I compared them to my G410's, I was immediately thinking PCB... a postage stamp on a stick.   While very much debatable, the ZX5's are listed in the GI category.  They ended up producing the best numbers, edging the G425's by a bit.  I went as far as to travel 2 hours to a Srixon Demo in order to try them on turf and get a second data point.

Check out my "Sticker Shock" thread for some additional info.  Bottom-line is to find a competent fitter and let the data drive at least 95% of your decision... looks do not help scoring.  In fact, there is a recent thread started that argues more folks should be moving away from player category irons - at least for part of the set.  Good luck.

44770845_G425vsZX5Sole.jpg.d4bf91438ed99e1f2d15911dadf3f67c.jpg

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

I like to buy slightly used clubs I want to try on Ebay. I try them out and if happy they stay in the bag a while (my Odyssey Tank 7 putter and Cleveland Mashie hybrids with X-flex Miyazaki shafts). If not, I resell on Ebay or Facebook Marketplace (often for more than I paid). Getting ready to try a third iron set (Titleist AP1 714s, Aerosteel 95 X-flex shafts) in the last 12 months. So far I am up $100 for the year while replacing my Taylormade M1 driver with a Ping G400 LST that is staying in the bag for  a while and my Tour Edge CBX 3W with the newer CBX T3 (including a Paderson Ballistic TP shaft) that is also a keeper. Used the extra $100 on a used range finder and lesson. Life is good.

Should mention, don't sell your current clubs until you decide you really like the new ones. I still have my Taylormade Tour Preferred irons with the 1st gen KBS Tour X flex shafts I got from a tour pro. Haven't found an iron yet that I like better. Eventually my method will yield a replacement but not in a big hurry. Maybe these Titleists are the ones.....

• Like 2

Short game savant, driving disaster...

Having recently been through all this, I'm going to suggest not getting too hung up on iron categories.  First because the lines between a good many products on the market have been blurred to the point they can (and do) keep people from making the right choice.  Second because the choice should be, first and foremost, based on performance with ego checked at the door... easier said than done... looks are a factor.

I agree and I think I have a pretty good cross-section of clubs at the moment. I was surprised because I would have thought I would like the Cobra Forged TECs or P790s that my fitter had but when I hit them they were nuclear, distance wise, and felt very similar to my F9s. Then I hit the Cobra MIM Tour (that I assumed was for a much better player) and the tuning fork just went off. Like, "can I get a set of these right now after the first 5 shots I hit" kind of excitement. This kicked off a whole conversation with my coach/fitter who was talking about my game and such (note: he pushed me to try clubs he doesn't have and NOT buy the Cobras right there which makes me feel better he is not just trying to sell me new irons). 

Ultimately, is a new set of irons going to make me a noticeably better player? No. Practice, strategy, execution and some luck will do that. Will a new set of irons eliminate me going 10 yards over the green every round on a well struck shot? Not entirely, that is always a risk and will always be in play for someone like me who is not an elite ballstriker BUT a new set could have more spin and less ball speed variances on similarly struck shots so that at least I should be able to predict when I am going to come up short or long based on feedback rather than feel like I am rolling the dice. 

The worst possible outcome is I hastily buy a set based on one good range session and then later determine I bit off more than I can chew. I like to think I have control of my ego but, then again, some of these irons are extremely attractive 😄

• Like 1

SGI, GI Player's distance irons, blade, player's irons, the golf OEM decide in which one their irons set belong...

A Ping GI could be a Mizuno player's distance... I would simply try a bunch of them first for the feel / look then would get fitted.

I think cobra F9 are Game improvement if I remember correctly, the Super game improvement are F-max.

I wouldn't really mind about the loft either and distance but more about the ability to hold green and distance consistency. I would hit bad shot also while getting fitted ON PURPOSE to see how they behave.

I play ping G425, everyone know when they hit a bad shot, I tend to be a little vocal about it when I do and half the time my ball end up very close to my target, my golf partner often tell me to shut the *** ** because my ball ended on the green, I didn't had a good height, wasn't a well struck ball but it still ended in a good place. Make sure the irons you get, whatever the category you try, that they still offer you some of that forgiveness from a GI / SGI.

If you like the Cobra king tour with MIM tech then by any means, get fit for those if you want, these are very good irons, great reviews overall including mygolfspy.

• Like 2

Got the demo 6 and 9 iron for the 639 CB and had my first range session today (no trackman). First off, I love the way they look. Much better in person and since they are demos they have a little bit of wear on them so I can see how the black will react over time, which I like. I found I hit them pretty well and they do exactly what they set out to do, there is some forgiveness strikes well out of the sweet spot give feedback which I have not ever felt in my F9s. On the range I did a little test between my Cobra F9 9 iron, the 639 CB Iron and a Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 9 iron (blade iron from the 70s). The goal was to hit enough shots with each to feel what a bad, good and great shot felt like and the penalties and rewards were for each. On toe strikes, the F9 offers very little feedback aside from a slight twisting feeling from the strike. The 639 will tell you when you have thinned it or toed it with the penalties on toe strikes being more severe on distance but, interestingly, less severe on direction. This could all be coincidence or difference in strike since I am not an Iron Byron but overall my ball flight with the F9 was a slight fade, the 639s were straighter...especially on good-great strikes. Ball flight was lower with the 639s and obviously the sound/feel was better. I included the Sam Snead because it is especially punishing on misses and I found I was hitting it pretty well today but when I did miss a bit out of the sweet spot it was more jarring and penal than the 639 which is what I would want/expect. 639 probably carried about 5-10 yard less but that is to be expected due to loft, length of club, etc. 

Another comparison was on flighted shots (trying to hit a 115-120 yard 9 iron) which is where the 639 really shined. This is just something the F9 cannot reliably do. The ball comes off the F9 so explosively that it could still go 130 on a 3/4 shot but the 639 is very controllable. 

Finally, I hit the 6 irons against each other. No BS, I was really surprised that I think I hit the 639CB better than the F9. Flight was better and again, a bit straighter than the with the F9. If it were a question of the F9 vs 639 CB I think I already have a winner but I have the Ben Hogan coming this week to compare it against. Additionally, I am not sure if the 639 CB beat the Cobra MIM Tour. I would say possibly not. The 639CB can still be quite harsh and I do wonder if I can hang with it on my bad days. Anyway, I will be posting pictures of the clubs as they come in and how they compare. 

Summary - 639CB is exactly as advertised. A cavity back that gives you control and feedback while also looking great (in black), just have to make sure you are up to the task. 

• Like 2

Comparison of the 6 irons, 639 cb vs F9 and at address.

image.jpeg.37869dc1110efee9f86c7623d625cb97.jpeg

image.jpeg.c58166f6b90d3b0baaacfa2cab0977f0.jpeg

the “effective” sole widths are relatively close since the F9 has a “bump” at the bottom but I am liking the slimmer feel of the 639cb. Ball flight actually wasn’t dramatically lower with 639s but that’s a good thing since I don’t play in much wind and would still like these to stop reasonably well. 

Got the Ben Hogan PTXpro 7 iron today and hit it at the range along with the 639CBs. Wasn't hitting it very good today so it was a good test of "forgiveness" and probably a good reflection of what it will be like on those days when I don't have it. It isn't a 1 to 1 comparison since I have a 6 and a 9 iron in the 639 CB and a 7 iron in the Ben Hogan but, surprisingly, I felt like the CB was easier to get along with. I didn't notice much difference or effect of the "V sole" from the hogan today. But, again, I was hitting like 30% of my first 30 balls out on the toe. I could tell where I was missing it on both clubs and I was punished similarly. On dead center strikes I was liking the 639CB today but it is only one session. 

I also hit my F9s as a comparison (they were also out on the toe) and the forgiveness wasn't really noticeably different. What was different is I couldn't "feel" the miss on my F9s but I knew it was out on the toe based on the ball flight and due to the fact that I was switching clubs every 3 shots and knew the Hogan and 639s were out on the toe. So, now I am starting to get spoiled by knowing where I missed the shot and I know now there is no way I can go back to the F9s, truly. 

The Hogans are stunning to look at though and I want to like them as I have an affinity for Ben Hogan brand (knowing they have gone through several owners). But right now the Sub 70s are the leader in the DTC space for me. I ordered two New Level clubs, the MODB-1 and 902 forged demoes that should be here by the end of the week. Then I will hop on the Trackman and test these again each other and hopefully the Cobra MIM which is in pole position.   

• Like 3

Uploaded a shot of the Ben Hogan PTXpro (really a beautiful club) and the sole widths of the PTXpro (on left) and 639CB. So far I am surprised at my definition of forgiveness and feel vs what I am told and expecting. I expected the Ben Hogans to be "easier to hit" (whatever that means) but didn't see that in practice. In reality there wasn't much between the 639CB 6 iron and the BH PTXpro 7 iron, performance wise. In the middle of my session I had an informal "test" aiming at a flag 170 yards out where I would hit 5 shots with each club, alternating every shot. I was playing at a pretty beat up range so the grass was rather thin and thus the margins on great contact were a little tighter. Ball was definitely not "sitting up" but the ground wasn't super hard as there is a layer of sand under all the range grass. Really kind of an interesting/challenging setup, haha. I think this led to a few more thin shots than I normally have (more on that later) since I was really trying to pick it. 

PTXpro
Thin, straight, flew about the correct distance but felt harsh from the mishit (as to be expected)
Great contact, slight fade with a muted feeling at impact but not necessarily "soft" to me
Slightly out of the toe but still flew most of the way (again getting good feedback on these)
Perfect contact, dead straight, semi-soft feel and the correct distance on carry
Thin, straight flight, most of the distance. Definitely could feel it right away. Felt the same as the 4th shot (thin) with the 639cb.

639CB
Perfect 3 yard draw, soft thump at impact carried about 5 yards past flag
Good contact but open club face at impact (started right and faded), probably 15-20 yards right of target
Really just hit this shot a bit fat, nothing else to say about it. Operator error.
Hit this a bit thin but still went the right distance but probably lacked much spin
Good strike out of the center. Felt soft and thumpy. 

What I am noticing/liking/enjoying is that if I was just looking at ball flight I probably wouldn't know some of these were thin. For PRACTICE that is obviously helpful and for someone who is working on their game, taking lessons, etc. I think this kind of feedback is paramount. Of course the flip side is I haven't played, on course, with these clubs or gone through a prolonged period where I didn't play and had to come back to these. So I was thinking what do I wish these clubs did differently? 

639CBs - these really do what they are billed to do. I am getting used to the lack of "explosiveness" off the clubface (that game improvement irons provide) and really I just need to hit it out the center more. When you hit a great shot you get exactly what you asked it to do. 

PTXpro - I wish the feel was a bit softer but maybe that is what the Icon is for (definitely not good enough for that). I need to have another session with it but to me it either needs to be softer on the face or more explosive on shots. To me, in this short test it was kind of a tweener. It does tell you when you missed but I didn't have any tuning fork in the loins feeling when I pured one but again, I wasn't puring shot after shot today so will have to keep at it. 

Hogan PTXpro.jpg

Sole width.jpg

• Like 2

Very interested in this, how many irons are left to test?

• Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9* 
  • Woods: Cobra LTDx 14.5*
  • Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3 Hybrid
  • Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 60* and 56*, SM8 50*
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5

First trackman session today, good chance to see if what I am seeing and feeling is coming through in the data. Coming into it I expected the Hogan to launch the highest and spin the most, the 639 CB to flight the lowest and spin about middle and the cobra to flight middle but spin less. The Sub 70 is a 6 iron (28*) and the Hogan is a traditionally lofted 7 iron (34*) so I expected a large distance gap between them. I took the PGA Tour averages (I know I am nowhere near them but just to get an idea) even though their lofts might vary. Just seemed like some kind of a baseline performance to test against. There were some surprising results. (DISCLAIMER: I am not an elite ball-striker. I am not a fitter. I am not an equipment expert. I am just a guy trying to intensely over analyze a buying decision that I have typically made impulsively. Do not assume that one person's opinion is anything other than a single data point. So far all the clubs I have hit do something very well and have a specific intention that may or may not suit ME.)

image.png.dedbbb8e8158455796c3aa81342f62ff.png

Here's my numbers, I accumulated 10 average or better shots. I threw out mishit shots and counted how many mishits I had. I also did a very subjective "strike quality" indicator that I was tracking on each shot. A is average, AA is above average and AAA is absolutely pured. This is all based on the feel of the shot in the moment and not the numbers on the trackman so there could be some incongruity between me saying I "AAA"'d a shot and then the numbers not bearing that out. I was trying to swing as I would on the course, at a target and with my preshot routine and all that. I would hit 5 of each club and then switch. I had a good warmup before I started tracking swing data. 

Cobra MIM Tour - 7 iron - 33* - Nippon Modus 120 Stiff - good spin, but had one "flier" in there mostly due to low spin likely due to strike location. Interesting I don't recall feeling like it was hit dramatically different.

image.png.6a2e6e0c21e39e4ac4aed2ab4af1cc2e.png

Ben Hogan PTxPro - 7 iron - 34* - KBS Tour V Stiff - highest spin rate (has the highest loft) and tightest distance dispersion and ball speed (also could be loft related)

image.png.1266b261a2cfbd816cefa69ba4f253a6.png

Sub 70 639CB - 6 iron - 28* - KBS Tour 120 Stiff - Actually kind of high spinning, especially considering this was with range balls, definitely some sizeable distance differences due to my inconsistent strike location. What is interesting is what I thought was my "best strike quality" was my shortest carry. Maybe I caught it slightly fat and didn't know that "feel"? The 20 yard distance dispersion is concerning but that is, again, due to my strike location and not the club. 

image.png.f8ef171f563d88bb380ab77f106b353f.png

I am still digesting what all these numbers mean but here is what I felt. My attack looks steep on the shots where it was tracked but didn't feel like I was taking huge divots (for me) and overall I was hitting the ball quite well today.

SUB 70 - The Sub 70 639CB is very much in its own category. This is a players cavity and it continues to do that very well. Flushed shots feel so so good and rewarding and soft yet solid. Feedback is very specific and I have awareness all across the clubface like I have never had it. The clubs look great in the all black and I like how the demos are wearing. Ultimately, this club does nothing wrong but the question is when I am hitting the ball below average would I be able to game these? But this club is much different in construction and feel to the Ben Hogan and Cobra. 

Ben Hogan - The PTxPro did much better today, mainly because I think I was much better. This club had better feel today for me but definitely feels springier, more explosive off the clubface than the Sub 70. This is closer to a players distance iron obviously so that makes sense. It feels the "fastest" of the 3 off the face which has its pros and cons. I think this club may have the most "forgiveness" on mishits BUT I also have the least amount of feedback and I can't always tell where I mishit it. Spin was really good and it seems like these may be the most "consistent" on distance, shot to shot. 

Cobra - The MIM performed the same as last time. Very solid and "heavy" feeling on centered shots which feels very good but in a different way to the 639CB. The look at address suits my eye as I have had a number of cobra clubs in the past. In comparison to the Sub 70 and Hogan, this is much closer to the Hogan in terms of feedback and forgiveness and overall feel. The MIM is softer, feedback is a bit more specific and mishits might be punished slightly more. Cobra, to me, sits between the Hogan and Sub 70 in terms of a bridge between a players distance-y iron (albeit with traditional lofts and better spin) and a players CB. The thing that surprises me every time I hit these is how easy they feel to swing "fast". It may be related to the Nippon shaft. 

If I am giving out awards for each iron, I would say the Sub 70 639CB has the "best feedback", the Hogan has the "best playability" and the best "bridge or tweener or maybe all around" iron. They all separated themselves today for me but the decision isn't really any easier. I have to decide who I think I am going to be as a player in a month, a quarter and a year. I could game all of these and I think they would benefit me, in different ways. If I was playing in a tournament tomorrow for my life, I would play the Cobras because I have had two back to back good sessions with them. If knew I was going to stop practicing as much and spend more time with my kids, I would get the Hogans. If I knew I was going to continue on my trajectory (albeit with diminishing improvement as I approach lower HDCP) and keep my practice schedule, I would get the 639CBs. 

TLDR: Would, selfishly, love anyone else's opinion on these numbers. If you don't want to read all the drivel above, please just look at the charts from my trackman data.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:25 PM, Ethan21 said:

Very interested in this, how many irons are left to test?

Oh man, the number seems to be increasing rather than decreasing. I have two New Level Clubs on the way (MODB-1 and 902 Forged). To be honest, I think the MODB-1 will be too hot and low spin so I have a bias towards the 902 forged already which should compare directly the Sub 70 639CB. I think I will revisit the Mizuno JPX Tour since they are sitting right in my coach's studio and possibly the MP-20 HMB. I am planning on hitting the Srixon ZX5 and Callaway Apex (maybe Apex Pros as well). I have to cut it off there or I will go broke demoing clubs. The only other clubs I would consider trying are the Sub 70 699 Pros but I think they, again, may be a little hot/low spin like I am expecting the MODB-1 to be and like the Cobra Forged TECs were. 

14 minutes ago, vandyland said:

TLDR: Would, selfishly, love anyone else's opinion on these numbers. If you don't want to read all the drivel above, please just look at the charts from my trackman data.

I personally think the Hogan numbers look the most consistent. 

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :mizuno-small: T20 54-8  :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG