TESTERS WANTED! ×

Strategize This Hole

Just now, cnosil said:

PGA players don’t always hit a 50 are wide fairway.   Most PGA pros only intentionally hit a driver in one direction.  

Never said they hit all the time but they hit it quite often. The top 50 in the world hit roughly 65% or greater number of fairways. They also look at lines and may not even be looking at being in the fairway if they can take an aggressive line.

Somekne who averages 250 off tee should be able to land their driver in a 50+ wide fairway on a hole they play frequently almost every round and a penalty area 60+ yards from the left edge of the fairway shouldn’t even be in play or in the mind of a player who hits a fade

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Some interesting commentary here.  We have had some good discussion on such situations at courses up here.  I blew a match this weekend by playing overly aggressive instead of playing it safe, after cutting two shots earlier with the same club.  In my opinion, what I FAILED to consider was not that I was being aggressive vs. conservative/safe, but that I had already cut two shots with that club and that it was safer to be left even of I did "pull" the shot or hit it straight vice serious trouble if (inevitably) I did cut it again.  So, failing to set up left of the target I opened myself up to that right side, again, and all of the trouble there.  

All of that said to lead to this; I haven't seen (maybe I missed it) anyone recommend teeing up on the right side of the tee box and setting up to play your normal shot.   A very consistent, solid single digit player I knew often told me to always set up on the side where the trouble is (water on the right, set-up on the right, trees on the left, set-up on the left).  The tee box isn't in the pic so it is hard to evaluate how much room you might have.  I did notice it has been discussed that a 50-yard wide target is actually pretty large; that considered, setting up on the right does two things for you, it improves your likeliness of not being in that trouble right, and it gives you a line (more room) that sets upto avoid the tree on the right, even if you do pull (a bit) vs. your normal cut.  The other recommendation/advice I don't see is something that I try to remember, in all cases, 'when there are hazards that are meant to draw your attention, pay attention not to the hazards, but to the place you want your shot to end up; see the target not the problems around it.'  All too often when we focus on the problem.  Doing so, we set ourselves up to end up IN the problem area because A) that is where we focus, and B) the doubt we will mess up creeps in and makes us change something, which causes us to mess up, instead of executing smoothly and correctly.  This game is 90% mental.

I don't see your hybrid shot shape and consistency discussed.  What about, as asked, the difference in your driving and approach percentages?  Those should be considered. With your shot shape and distance I think I would be most concerned with getting into the trees at ~220 on the right, but again, I would think your best percentage approach would be to tee up on the right and set up/line up just right of that tree short left (again, I cannot see the tee box so I am not sure how much room you have to work with or if you have a already started on the right side).   

Option A) Tee it up on the left side, line up right of the tree you are concerned with to the left, focus on the area you want to land it, hit the 100-110 approach shot to 5 feet and make the birdie.

Interesting discussion; let us know what worked and what didn't?

Cheers

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Somekne who averages 250 off tee should be able to land their driver in a 50+ wide fairway on a hole they play frequently almost every round and a penalty area 60+ yards from the left edge of the fairway shouldn’t even be in play or in the mind of a player who hits a fade

I don’t agree with that statement.  Dispersion cones are wider than 50 yards and you can’t predict where in the cone any shot will land.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Always recommend planning from the green backwards.  What is the best angle in to get to the flag all the time (or that day). Where is the easiest spot to get that flag  This green seems reasonable large and as a sub-350 hole, I would not pull driver.  Anytime where if you hit the ball really well puts you in trouble, club down.  Take that trouble out of play!  Hit your 220 club and leave a PW.  Anytime, you can hit a smaller club from the tee and still have wedge in your hand, you have made the right play.  It is also what is comfortable to you.  Shot shape?  Confidence with hybrid? etc.  bigger Club=bigger miss potential.  

Hybrid down the left center of the fairway with your fade, would leave you on the right center of fairway with PW in hand and best angle into the green.  

Good luck

Tigger

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t agree with that statement.  Dispersion cones are wider than 50 yards and you can’t predict where in the cone any shot will land.  

If a golfer can’t stand on the right side of the tee box and sun down the left side of the fairway and play their fade and keep the ball in in the fairway even if it’s on the far right side 50 yards away or worse case in the rough just off the fairway they need to go get some lessons. If a golfer is standing on the tee box and worried about a penalty area 60+ yards to the right of the left edge of the fairway they have mentally taking themselves out of the hole. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

53 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I am noticing a lack of 'studies show you should hit it as far as you can because even in the high rough you are better off closer to the green'  responses.  😄

High rough is one thing, Penalty Area and lost ball are a completely different thing.  I word that same advice a little differently: Hit it as far as possible without taking on too much additional risk.  The general advice (hit driver) sometimes gets overwhelmed by other considerations, like terrain and penalties areas and OB and "lost ball" rough.  The consequences of missing left mean hitting a tree 100 yards off the tee, he can't go over it.  That tree, combined with his natural fade, narrowed the acceptable area to under 50 yards, maybe closer to 40, at the full driver distance..  Missing right meant PA or lost ball.   When the risk means giving up 100 yards or more on one side, or penalty shot, or in the case of a lost ball TWO penalty shots (stroke and distance or E-5), the equations change a bit.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If a golfer is standing on the tee box and worried about a penalty area 60+ yards to the right of the left edge of the fairway they have mentally taking themselves out of the hole. 

His fade, combined with the trees just off the tee on the left, narrow the hole significantly.  If he fades it just barely past the first trees on the left, his ball will finish well under 50 yards from that Penalty Area.  If he doesn't take that into consideration, he's a fool.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If someone can’t hit a 50+ yard wide fairway with driver that’s a problem and if worried about a penalty area another 15 yards or more they probably need to hit whatever club they can hit straight 100% of the time. Then go schedule some lessons

True and someone like Zach Johnson won 2 majors and a bunch of other events only playing a draw. 

Variance of tour pro tee shots are 55-65 yards. To expect an average golfer to be at that same level is laughable. If the best players in the world can't do it there isn't a teacher that can help. It is not about hitting the fairway once it is about giving you the best opportunity to score based on all the outcomes golf has to offer. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

For ME, If I can hit my approach shot with a 9 iron or less. as you would be doing from 130 out, PW, then it's "Aim For The Flag Time. So I would recommend you hit your 220 club and go for the flag with your Pw and hope for Birdie to start your round. When I play a course with a "First" hole like this one, I'd finish my warm-up session on the range with a few 220 club tee shots and be ready for the first tee knowing it will be an easy start to my round. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

His fade, combined with the trees just off the tee on the left, narrow the hole significantly.  If he fades it just barely past the first trees on the left, his ball will finish well under 50 yards from that Penalty Area.  If he doesn't take that into consideration, he's a fool.

Exactly.

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Variance of tour pro tee shots are 55-65 yards. To expect an average golfer to be at that same level is laughable. If the best players in the world can't do it there isn't a teacher that can help. It is not about hitting the fairway once it is about giving you the best opportunity to score based on all the outcomes golf has to offer. 

Assuming you are using all pros for that data point. I’m betting each individual pro has a much smaller dispersion area. Can you provide the link to this data point

The OP is a single digit handicap. Keeping the ball in play on this hole shouldn’t be a problem even if he takes 10 yards of the fairway away on the left side. He still has 40+ yards of fairway and plenty of room in the right rough to be able to hit driver every day. 

7 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

and hope for Birdie to start your round. 

16 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

8th Hole - Belmont Golf Course - Richmond, VA
350 Yards

Someone else thought this was the first hole, but @HardcoreLooper specifically says its #8.  By the time a player gets there, he'll either have a bit of confidence in hitting it where he's looking, or will be a complete wreck, or maybe somewhere in between.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I can’t hit the broadside of a barn a lot of times. Sometimes I’m over in the next fairway, yes, I yell fore if someone is on the hole.  I’m a 4 according to Arccos.  I play a fade with the driver, but I have been cursed/blessed with moon ball height. If I can’t get over the tree it is impossible for most.

I think we should go back to the initial question.  He wasn’t asking for people to tell him he needs lessons.  Taking lessons is not a strategy as how to play the hole with what he’s got.

No one has mentioned anything about the accuracy of the 19º hybrid.  We all assume that it's a fairway finder, but that's not stated.  What is the percentage of shots with the hybrid that find rough or worse at 130y from the green?  How many times have we seen pros hit an iron off the tee on a shortish hole to find the fairway and proceed to hit it in the rough.  I see it every week.

I would probably go with the layup shot if I could hit a PW into the green.  However, I'm agreeing with @RickyBobby_PR that the fairway is plenty wide for a driver shot if the player has reasonable control of the shot.  If they don't, then improve your shot.  Personally, I would much rather have 100y shot into the green than a 130y shot.

I certainly don't have 250y off the tee, but the fairway looks narrower at 210-220y which is where I would be hitting my driver.  I normally hit a small fade, but if I feel that I need to keep it straighter, I will hit a low driver shot that is straighter than my normal shot shape, and it will run out almost as far if course conditions allow it.  Sometimes you have to manufacture a shot for certain conditions and hole shapes.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'd most likely be hitting hybrid if it were me and I absolutely needed to make par. Anything longer just brings too much trouble into play.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Sorry, it's the end of the quarter and things are a little nuts at work, so I didn't have time to respond.  Thanks to all who offered their opinions.  

11 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The triangle is fine, but consider drawing a "triangle" using your normal shot shape for the two long legs.  On the left side it would have to stay right of the first batch of trees, ending up in the left-center of the fairway, maybe further right.  You know your shape, you can do this.  On the right side, the end has to stay left of the Penalty Area.  NOW what's the available width?  40 yards maybe?  45?  That does seem pretty tight to me.  If you can learn to hit the driver straighter or higher, that would open the hole up a good bit, but you have to make decisions on the shots you have right now.  I agree with you, the shorter club is probably the right choice.  And the right choice is not dependent on the length of the hole, to me, its a matter of getting the maximum distance possible while maintaining an acceptable level of risk.

@DaveP043 - What you're stating is what I'm thinking.  Here's the modified diagram:

image.png.c28e0ceead3984f84d20a994a85241d5.png

It's a bit of a SWAG, but I figure I'm giving away about 10-15 yards of the left side of the fairway with the left-to-right ball flight of my driver.  So yes, my effective cone width is probably more like 40 yards or so.  The fact that I can't hit the ball over those trees on the left side with a driver is a killer for me.  Hugging the left side of the fairway with my start line seems to me like shifting the center of the cone toward the trees left and brings them into play if my start line is anything left off perfect.

The 19* hybrid is a bit more accurate, and it definitely takes the penalty area out of play on the right (I can't reach it).  It also flies right to left (I draw everything but the driver; I can't hit a driver right to left and keep it on the planet so I set mine up for a fade).  If I put it in the trees to the left, I can punch out and advance the ball toward the green.  They aren't nearly as big an issue as the penalty area to the right.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

allow me to offer another option: have you considered driving the green?

image.gif.ffdbbecd50c0ea34f4cf955c5be25140.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Exactly.

Assuming you are using all pros for that data point. I’m betting each individual pro has a much smaller dispersion area. Can you provide the link to this data point

The OP is a single digit handicap. Keeping the ball in play on this hole shouldn’t be a problem even if he takes 10 yards of the fairway away on the left side. He still has 40+ yards of fairway and plenty of room in the right rough to be able to hit driver every day. 

5 years of DJ tee shots:  dispersion pattern 120 yards wide.   Throw away some outliers and maybe down to 80 yards wide. 

E2pi4HGXEAEUSlo?format=jpg&name=medium

Bryson and Brendon Todd over 2 years. 

E2o-grqWEAAlXq2?format=jpg&name=small

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I'm guessing the idea is to just keep the big number off the scorecard?

This was a good question, and I should have pointed it out from the start.  My goal is to make the lowest average score on the hole over multiple rounds.  This course is basically my new home course.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

57 yards is a lot of room. That’s just over the width of a football field. Take driver from middle of the tee area aim just just inside the left corner of the triangle and swing away

57 yards is definitely narrower than my dispersion cone with my driver.  I'd be a much better player if I could average 250 off the tee and keep it to 57 yards side to side.  

If I set my start line down the left side of the triangle, just to the right of the tree, don't I bring that tree into play nearly 50% of the time?  I haven't done any analysis on this, but I'd have to think that I'm going to start the ball left of my intended start line about 50% of the time.  I've always thought that you need to aim to hit the center of your dispersion cone, because you're going to miss your start line left half the time and right half the time.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If I set my start line down the left side of the triangle, just to the right of the tree, don't I bring that tree into play nearly 50% of the time?  I haven't done any analysis on this, but I'd have to think that I'm going to start the ball left of my intended start line about 50% of the time.  I've always thought that you need to aim to hit the center of your dispersion cone, because you're going to miss your start line left half the time and right half the time.

You don't necessarily have to align yourself to hit down the center line.    This video might help explain what I am talking about.  While it is about practice,  the setup information still applies to playing on the course. 

8 hours ago, RyckyRych said:

My son-in-law owns a house that borders this course but I've never had the chance to play it. Is it true that there are going to tear it up and make a 12-hole course out of it? I thought I had read that somewhere...

Henrico County (owner of the course) looked for a group to take over the management of the course after years of neglect and losing money.  First Tee of Greater Richmond wound up winning the bid. They decided to take the first six holes and turn them into a range (the course had no range), a short game practice area, a six hole par 3 course (similar to The Cradle at Pinehurst) and a massive putting course.  Then they renovated holes 7-18 into a 12 hole golf course.  They did a great job - they restored original green sizes and countours (many of the greens are really wild and fun to putt), they rebuilt and deepened all of the bunkers (much better to play from but much harder to get out of), they brought back some of the old back tees on some of the holes and basically revitalized it.

There have been some vocal complaints about losing 6 holes, but no one I've played with has complained about it.  I've played it four times since reopening, each time getting paired with other people.  I kinda like either being done after 12, playing the par 3 course, or going out and playing another 12.  Seniors who used to be able to play the course for around $25 have a legitimate complaint.  It's now $60 during the week to play it twice or $45 to play the 12 full-size holes and the par 3 course.  Seniors get a 10% discount.

Full disclosure, I've been a volunteer coach for about a decade, my younger daughter is a program participant and my older daughter is a camp counselor and former participant.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You don't necessarily have to align yourself to hit down the center line. 

So just to make sure we're talking about the same thing - I wouldn't aim to start the ball down the centerline to hit the center of my dispersion cone.  Like Fawcett, I'll aim left of the center line to try to fade it back to the middle.  That's what makes that tree down the left close to the tee so maddening.  But if it weren't there, this hole would be a pushover.  There'd be no reason whatsoever to wind up in the penalty area right.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Buy a new driver that you hit 260 🤣. If 220 takes the penalty area out and doesn't bring anything else into play then that is the play. Leaving a wedge to the green even if it is a longer wedge is fine. If 220 doesn't remove the trouble or brings the bunkers into play then you may have to reassess. Is it any wider at 220? From the pic it appears it is the same width and 220 may bring the front of the hazard into play or bunkers? 55-60 yards is borderline for a driver but if there are no wider or better options send it is the right play. 

220 definitely takes the penalty area out of play.  It's about 210 to carry the bunker left, so it comes into play with the 19*.  But, I can hedge out to the right to avoid the bunker.  The right trees are pretty playable; it's the penalty area that's a problem.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

5 years of DJ tee shots:  dispersion pattern 120 yards wide.   Throw away some outliers and maybe down to 80 yards wide. 

E2pi4HGXEAEUSlo?format=jpg&name=medium

Bryson and Brendon Todd over 2 years. 

E2o-grqWEAAlXq2?format=jpg&name=small

That’s over how many courses and in how many different weather conditions. I guarantee that if you someone’s looked at their patterns on a specific hole at a course they play frequently that pattern drops significantly. Which is what we are talking about here with playing the same course quite frequently.

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

57 yards is definitely narrower than my dispersion cone with my driver.  I'd be a much better player if I could average 250 off the tee and keep it to 57 yards side to side.  

I’m not saying start it down the left side of the triangle. Look at the where the left side of the triangle meets the base of the triangle going across the fairway. Pic a spot inside of that like around where the cart path curves in front of the tree. Your normal ball flight is a fade with driver. You still have 40+ yards to work with for a ball to be in play and more than 50 yards for your ball to reach the penalty area. If you typical fade moves 120+ feet that at not a fade but a very bad slice. Even if you pull the ball which is what you say is a miss with fj e driver you are still in a spot to play your next shot to the green unless you snap hook it or have a big yank.

Use the full extent of the teeing area to your advantage. Setup on the right side of the tee box and aim down the inside of the cart path and swing away

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s over how many courses and in how many different weather conditions. I guarantee that if you someone’s looked at their patterns on a specific hole at a course they play frequently that pattern drops significantly. Which is what we are talking about here with playing the same course quite frequently.

I doubt that is true, as a shot pattern is a shot pattern and on any given swing you don’t know where that ball will go.  I know on courses I play regularly my pattern doesn’t get any narrower.  

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I doubt that is true, as a shot pattern is a shot pattern and on any given swing you don’t know where that ball will go.  I know on courses I play regularly my pattern doesn’t get any narrower.  

Every single digit handicap I play with or have played with has a predictable ball flight. Do they occasionally pull one or maybe fade/slice one that’s outside their norm? Yup which is obviously what leads to people having whatever their shot pattern is.

None of them or myself will stand on a tee thinking that my shot pattern is X and if I play my normal fade down the left side of the hole it will end up 50+ yards on the right. None are even worried about it being on the right half of the fairway. 

Again if a person has a ball that moves that far left to right they need lessons to fix their swing and control their ball flight better. 

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

So just to make sure we're talking about the same thing - I wouldn't aim to start the ball down the centerline to hit the center of my dispersion cone.  Like Fawcett, I'll aim left of the center line to try to fade it back to the middle.  That's what makes that tree down the left close to the tee so maddening.  But if it weren't there, this hole would be a pushover.  There'd be no reason whatsoever to wind up in the penalty area right.

My view, if you're hitting driver, is you'd use the adapted cone, the one you did with the "fade path", and try to have the ball end up in the center of the zone.  This means you're lining up left of center, but not at the left limit of the cone.  As you say, that first tree limits your available options, so maybe its only 40 yards between a ball that whacks off the first tree, and a ball that ends up in the PA.  Giving up distance widens your available area significantly by taking the PA out of play.

Generally, I don't choose to give up distance when it doesn't widen my area of acceptable outcomes, my dispersion isn't that much tighter with a hybrid or 3-wood than it is with a driver.  This hole is different, which makes hitting hybrid look like a pretty good option.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Every single digit handicap I play with or have played with has a predictable ball flight. Do they occasionally pull one or maybe fade/slice one that’s outside their norm? Yup which is obviously what leads to people having whatever their shot pattern is.

None of them or myself will stand on a tee thinking that my shot pattern is X and if I play my normal fade down the left side of the hole it will end up 50+ yards on the right. None are even worried about it being on the right half of the fairway. 

Again if a person has a ball that moves that far left to right they need lessons to fix their swing and control their ball flight better. 

I don’t disagree.  I play a fade off the tee and I can hit everything from a straight pull to a push slice.  But I establish my setup based on my shot pattern….I am generally on the right side of the tee box,  I align myself left of my target, and I expect the ball to curve to the middle of my pattern.  While I expect the tee shot to do what I visualized,  I also understand I could be left or in the example provided in this thread in the hazard area.  

when planning a hole strategy; which should really take place before you are even on the course, I take the entire shot pattern into consideration to determine where I could possibly end up and from there I determine my target line to optimize where the ball will end up.   Earlier You talked  about a hole that a player has played regularly and how the pattern will be reduced.  I believe that simply means the player has an established plan on how to play the hole.  They have sight lines and know how the hole will play.  On tour the player should have  a plan for every hole; that is what they use the yardage book and practice rounds to obtain.  Familiarity with a hole does not change how I hit the ball on any given swing, they are independent things, it  does influence my target line.  

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

As you say, that first tree limits your available options, so maybe its only 40 yards between a ball that whacks off the first tree, and a ball that ends up in the PA.  Giving up distance widens your available area significantly by taking the PA out of play.

I'll quote myself for @RickyBobby_PR to read, to me this is the critical thing.  Given his moderate fade, the OP has about a 40-yard window between two rather disastrous consequences, at driver distance.  Left of the window, his ball hits a tree about 100 yards off the tee, right of the window he's in a Penalty Area or lost.  How many of your single digit players (I'm playing off 5 now, I'm in that group) can keep it within 20 yards of the center of the pattern most of the time.  Maybe they hit 30 or even 40% of their drivers outside of that window.  I've read that DEcade suggests a 70-yard window be considered for most players, 40 yards is incredibly small.  Every single time the tee shot is outside of that window, the cost is at least one stroke, and at least sometimes two strokes.  Given that by dropping back to hybrid, the OP has the chance to expand his "window" to 60 or 70 yards, and the worst result is a ball playable in the trees.  Outside of an unplayable lie, penalty strokes are off the table.  I drive the ball pretty straight, but to me the increased window makes the hybrid the better choice.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia