I agree on the 5i piece, or even less if you can slap a 6i out there further. How are you with your long irons? Could you play the whole out 150-160 then a 190-200 club in? I do read the post really is about how to avoid the danger. It's smart to make sure danger isn't hit in to, but are your misses into the junk more because you also can't stop thinking about it? Above someone mentioned trying to play the hole 10 different ways each and see how that works. How is your visualization on the tee? 

• Like 1

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

3 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

One of the factors for me liking the 210-220 option is that it's the first hole. Put the tee shot in play, hit a short iron onto the green, make an easy par and move on.

At least for me, if the first shot of the day puts me in trouble, I feel like I'm chasing the round, versus having a simple, solid start.

1st hole of the day?  Not unless it's a scramble.  It says it's hole #8.

• Like 2

WITB:

Nothing presently.  I'm doing a full rebuild soon after my golfer's elbow heals and I get a full fitting.

For @HardcoreLooper, I took a look on Google Earth, and it looks even tighter than you described, maybe 50 yards wide from the small tree on the left to the penalty area right  It makes sense to me to take the Penalty Area and/or potential lost ball on the right out of play, and that means hitting something around 200 yards off the tee.  If you're a little left or right, you could still have trouble reaching the green, but at least you won't be taking penalty strokes.

For @Shankster, laying up to avoid a difficult downhill lie seems perfectly logical to me.  You're also taking the penalty area to the left out of play, it looks like driver could reach that easily.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Another thing would be to learn how to hit a  draw

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

46 minutes ago, MarineJoe said:

Lessons

27 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

All of this is true, but if he's playing that hole this afternoon, what's the right way for HIM to play it with the skills he has now.  

• Like 1

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Funny thing about that is even most pro's today wouldn't change their shot shape for the way a hole lays out.  It happens rarely enough that it is called out by commentators.  Earlier this year JT had to play a draw on a couple tee shots instead of his normal fade and they had a special 5 min segment on it talking about how special it was he hit a low draw to follow the shape of a dogleg and let it run forever for an easy 2nd into a par 5.  I could just see somebody like Trevino listening to that and screaming curses at the TV for thinking it is special to be able to shape the ball either way!    😂

I am noticing a lack of 'studies show you should hit it as far as you can because even in the high rough you are better off closer to the green'  responses.  😄

• Like 2

Modern Bag:  Sub70 849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;  Titleist 915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

All of this is true, but if he's playing that hole this afternoon, what's the right way for HIM to play it with the skills he has now.  

If someone can’t hit a 50+ yard wide fairway with driver that’s a problem and if worried about a penalty area another 15 yards or more they probably need to hit whatever club they can hit straight 100% of the time. Then go schedule some lessons

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Funny thing about that is even most pro's today wouldn't change their shot shape for the way a hole lays out.  It happens rarely enough that it is called out by commentators.  Earlier this year JT had to play a draw on a couple tee shots instead of his normal fade and they had a special 5 min segment on it talking about how special it was he hit a low draw to follow the shape of a dogleg and let it run forever for an easy 2nd into a par 5.  I could just see somebody like Trevino listening to that and screaming curses at the TV for thinking it is special to be able to shape the ball either way!    😂

I am noticing a lack of 'studies show you should hit it as far as you can because even in the high rough you are better off closer to the green'  responses.  😄

True and someone like Zach Johnson won 2 majors and a bunch of other events only playing a draw. 

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Either 220-230 with a 3W then a 9i

Or 4i for 200 and 7-8i

I prefer mid, short irons to the green instead of wedges.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If someone can’t hit a 50+ yard wide fairway with driver that’s a problem and if worried about a penalty area another 15 yards or more they probably need to hit whatever club they can hit straight 100% of the time. Then go schedule some lessons

True and someone like Zach Johnson won 2 majors and a bunch of other events only playing a draw. 

PGA players don’t always hit a 50 are wide fairway.   Most PGA pros only intentionally hit a driver in one direction.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

PGA players don’t always hit a 50 are wide fairway.   Most PGA pros only intentionally hit a driver in one direction.  

Never said they hit all the time but they hit it quite often. The top 50 in the world hit roughly 65% or greater number of fairways. They also look at lines and may not even be looking at being in the fairway if they can take an aggressive line.

Somekne who averages 250 off tee should be able to land their driver in a 50+ wide fairway on a hole they play frequently almost every round and a penalty area 60+ yards from the left edge of the fairway shouldn’t even be in play or in the mind of a player who hits a fade

Some interesting commentary here.  We have had some good discussion on such situations at courses up here.  I blew a match this weekend by playing overly aggressive instead of playing it safe, after cutting two shots earlier with the same club.  In my opinion, what I FAILED to consider was not that I was being aggressive vs. conservative/safe, but that I had already cut two shots with that club and that it was safer to be left even of I did "pull" the shot or hit it straight vice serious trouble if (inevitably) I did cut it again.  So, failing to set up left of the target I opened myself up to that right side, again, and all of the trouble there.  

All of that said to lead to this; I haven't seen (maybe I missed it) anyone recommend teeing up on the right side of the tee box and setting up to play your normal shot.   A very consistent, solid single digit player I knew often told me to always set up on the side where the trouble is (water on the right, set-up on the right, trees on the left, set-up on the left).  The tee box isn't in the pic so it is hard to evaluate how much room you might have.  I did notice it has been discussed that a 50-yard wide target is actually pretty large; that considered, setting up on the right does two things for you, it improves your likeliness of not being in that trouble right, and it gives you a line (more room) that sets upto avoid the tree on the right, even if you do pull (a bit) vs. your normal cut.  The other recommendation/advice I don't see is something that I try to remember, in all cases, 'when there are hazards that are meant to draw your attention, pay attention not to the hazards, but to the place you want your shot to end up; see the target not the problems around it.'  All too often when we focus on the problem.  Doing so, we set ourselves up to end up IN the problem area because A) that is where we focus, and B) the doubt we will mess up creeps in and makes us change something, which causes us to mess up, instead of executing smoothly and correctly.  This game is 90% mental.

I don't see your hybrid shot shape and consistency discussed.  What about, as asked, the difference in your driving and approach percentages?  Those should be considered. With your shot shape and distance I think I would be most concerned with getting into the trees at ~220 on the right, but again, I would think your best percentage approach would be to tee up on the right and set up/line up just right of that tree short left (again, I cannot see the tee box so I am not sure how much room you have to work with or if you have a already started on the right side).   

Option A) Tee it up on the left side, line up right of the tree you are concerned with to the left, focus on the area you want to land it, hit the 100-110 approach shot to 5 feet and make the birdie.

Interesting discussion; let us know what worked and what didn't?

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115
  • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 raw, 50/10 & 56/8*
  • Putter - Callaway Bobby Jones BJ-1
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - Snell MTB Black
  • *Going to try some new wedges this year - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex, jumbo Golf Pride Tour Velvet
  • Bag(s)/cart - Sun Mountain Synch/TM Flextech Lite, Sun Mountain Micro

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Somekne who averages 250 off tee should be able to land their driver in a 50+ wide fairway on a hole they play frequently almost every round and a penalty area 60+ yards from the left edge of the fairway shouldn’t even be in play or in the mind of a player who hits a fade

I don’t agree with that statement.  Dispersion cones are wider than 50 yards and you can’t predict where in the cone any shot will land.  

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Always recommend planning from the green backwards.  What is the best angle in to get to the flag all the time (or that day). Where is the easiest spot to get that flag  This green seems reasonable large and as a sub-350 hole, I would not pull driver.  Anytime where if you hit the ball really well puts you in trouble, club down.  Take that trouble out of play!  Hit your 220 club and leave a PW.  Anytime, you can hit a smaller club from the tee and still have wedge in your hand, you have made the right play.  It is also what is comfortable to you.  Shot shape?  Confidence with hybrid? etc.  bigger Club=bigger miss potential.  

Hybrid down the left center of the fairway with your fade, would leave you on the right center of fairway with PW in hand and best angle into the green.  

Good luck

Tigger

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t agree with that statement.  Dispersion cones are wider than 50 yards and you can’t predict where in the cone any shot will land.  

If a golfer can’t stand on the right side of the tee box and sun down the left side of the fairway and play their fade and keep the ball in in the fairway even if it’s on the far right side 50 yards away or worse case in the rough just off the fairway they need to go get some lessons. If a golfer is standing on the tee box and worried about a penalty area 60+ yards to the right of the left edge of the fairway they have mentally taking themselves out of the hole. 

53 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

High rough is one thing, Penalty Area and lost ball are a completely different thing.  I word that same advice a little differently: Hit it as far as possible without taking on too much additional risk.  The general advice (hit driver) sometimes gets overwhelmed by other considerations, like terrain and penalties areas and OB and "lost ball" rough.  The consequences of missing left mean hitting a tree 100 yards off the tee, he can't go over it.  That tree, combined with his natural fade, narrowed the acceptable area to under 50 yards, maybe closer to 40, at the full driver distance..  Missing right meant PA or lost ball.   When the risk means giving up 100 yards or more on one side, or penalty shot, or in the case of a lost ball TWO penalty shots (stroke and distance or E-5), the equations change a bit.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If a golfer is standing on the tee box and worried about a penalty area 60+ yards to the right of the left edge of the fairway they have mentally taking themselves out of the hole. 

His fade, combined with the trees just off the tee on the left, narrow the hole significantly.  If he fades it just barely past the first trees on the left, his ball will finish well under 50 yards from that Penalty Area.  If he doesn't take that into consideration, he's a fool.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Variance of tour pro tee shots are 55-65 yards. To expect an average golfer to be at that same level is laughable. If the best players in the world can't do it there isn't a teacher that can help. It is not about hitting the fairway once it is about giving you the best opportunity to score based on all the outcomes golf has to offer. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

For ME, If I can hit my approach shot with a 9 iron or less. as you would be doing from 130 out, PW, then it's "Aim For The Flag Time. So I would recommend you hit your 220 club and go for the flag with your Pw and hope for Birdie to start your round. When I play a course with a "First" hole like this one, I'd finish my warm-up session on the range with a few 220 club tee shots and be ready for the first tee knowing it will be an easy start to my round. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

His fade, combined with the trees just off the tee on the left, narrow the hole significantly.  If he fades it just barely past the first trees on the left, his ball will finish well under 50 yards from that Penalty Area.  If he doesn't take that into consideration, he's a fool.

Exactly.

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Variance of tour pro tee shots are 55-65 yards. To expect an average golfer to be at that same level is laughable. If the best players in the world can't do it there isn't a teacher that can help. It is not about hitting the fairway once it is about giving you the best opportunity to score based on all the outcomes golf has to offer. 

Assuming you are using all pros for that data point. I’m betting each individual pro has a much smaller dispersion area. Can you provide the link to this data point

The OP is a single digit handicap. Keeping the ball in play on this hole shouldn’t be a problem even if he takes 10 yards of the fairway away on the left side. He still has 40+ yards of fairway and plenty of room in the right rough to be able to hit driver every day. 

• Like 1