TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Balls, How do I know "its the one"?

Hello everyone!  

I am having a tough time determining to switch to a new golf ball or stay with my current one.  Firstly, I play a Srixon Q Star Tour.  I hit it decently well off the tee and think it has solid stopping power for me.  My swing speed is about 105-106 and my biggest weaknesses are wedge shots (75 yards and in) and putting, well at least those are my current weaknesses.  I read the Q Star Tour review from MGS and did not realize how inconsistent the ball was.  To be completely fair, I do not think the ball is the sole reason why I'm a 19 handicap.  I'm a 19 handicap because I usually need to hit a 75 yard or less shot about once a hole (basically, I need to hit more GIRs to improve).  I am looking to shave a few strokes off this summer and consistently shoot in the 80s.  I have a few practice aids (Golf net, Launch Monitor, Perfect Putt, etc.) and usually hit balls 1-3 times a week, while playing 18 bi-weekly at worst.  With that information, should I switch to a more consistent ball while looking to improve wedge shots?  If so, which balls work for y'all?  I do not think I am good enough to play a top tier ball (Pro V1, etc.), but want to hear y'all's opinion.  I acknowledge that I need to practice more and probably improve my own shot consistency.  Lastly, I don't have a ball fitter close by (70+ miles away). Again thanks for everyone's help!  

Just trying to break 90 consistently

Everyone can use a ProV1.  The benefits definitely outweigh any doubt you may have.  Don’t let the handicap determine the ball choice.  Try the whole line from Titleist, you might be surprised.  

im at 113+ and the AVX performs the best for me.  Short game has always been a strong suit for me and the AVX made the long game a strong suit.  I gave up a slight bit of wedge control, but being in the fairway more often makes up for it… so far.

Why are wedge shots and putting your weakness and why do you think it is the ball?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If 75yds in is your weakness, then maybe you should lay up to 100yds as much as possible. And if you have time on your way to the green, drop an extra ball within 75yds and take a practice shot.

That being said, I have had good experience with the Titleist Tour Soft. But I am also considering switching to TP5 practice balls.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

3 hours ago, trigs20 said:

Hello everyone!  

I am having a tough time determining to switch to a new golf ball or stay with my current one.  Firstly, I play a Srixon Q Star Tour.  I hit it decently well off the tee and think it has solid stopping power for me.  My swing speed is about 105-106 and my biggest weaknesses are wedge shots (75 yards and in) and putting, well at least those are my current weaknesses.  I read the Q Star Tour review from MGS and did not realize how inconsistent the ball was.  To be completely fair, I do not think the ball is the sole reason why I'm a 19 handicap.  I'm a 19 handicap because I usually need to hit a 75 yard or less shot about once a hole (basically, I need to hit more GIRs to improve).  I am looking to shave a few strokes off this summer and consistently shoot in the 80s.  I have a few practice aids (Golf net, Launch Monitor, Perfect Putt, etc.) and usually hit balls 1-3 times a week, while playing 18 bi-weekly at worst.  With that information, should I switch to a more consistent ball while looking to improve wedge shots?  If so, which balls work for y'all?  I do not think I am good enough to play a top tier ball (Pro V1, etc.), but want to hear y'all's opinion.  I acknowledge that I need to practice more and probably improve my own shot consistency.  Lastly, I don't have a ball fitter close by (70+ miles away). Again thanks for everyone's help!  

If your issues are 75 yards and in, you probably want to considering switching to a tour ball like the Pro V1.  You could also consider the Snell MTB, Vice Pro, Cut Red or Maxfli Tour if you want to save a few bucks and have something that performs comparably to the Pro V1.

Ive been playing the Maxfli Tour X for the past year and really like it.  I find that it gives me plenty of spin on partial wedge shots to get the ball to stop on the green and it pretty affordable.  You can often find them on sale at Dick's or GG for less than $25 a dozen and often they do a 2 dozen for $50 deal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

You probably need to explain a little more about why 75 yards and in is a problem.  If you're just hitting bad pitches and chips, then changing a ball isn't going to fix that.  Same with putting....there is some feel component to putting but I doubt changing balls is going to have much effect on your distance control or ability to read putts.

Now if you're hitting good shots and just aren't spinning the ball enough to hold the green then switching to a better urethane ball should help that.  

Based on all of the ball talk they do on NPG, my guess is they would recommend you switch to a urethane ball regardless and just find one where you are comfortable with the price.  Q-stars aren't exactly cheap so you should be able to swap to Snell or another DTC brand that rates/scores well for the same price.  

With a swing speed of ~105 you're probably giving up a bit of distance with the Q-Star Tour and would see benefits from a higher-compression ball. But like others have said, if the problem you're encountering with <75 yd shots are swing related, switching to a different ball won't fix them. I wouldn't worry about the Ball Lab results - they would almost certainly lead to variances in ball flight of less than 5%, and unless you're a scratch golfer those differences wouldn't be measurable at all because your swing is less than 95% consistent.

One thing that I think a lot of folks in this thread don't realize is that the Q-Star Tour is a urethane ball, so no worries on that front.

For what it's worth, I'm at a near-identical handicap and swing speed compared to you and made the switch halfway through last season from the Q-Star Tour to the Z-Star XV and have been very happy with it. The XV doesn't feel as squishy off the driver face, and feels a bit firmer as well with irons and wedges which I prefer. I suspect your issues aren't ball-specific, but if switching to a firmer urethane ball makes you feel more comfortable, then that will have a noticeable impact on your game.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

I apologize for misstating some information.  I am not attempting to switch balls due to putting or my weaker short game.  Rather, I mentioned that information as some websites have pushed golf balls with better short game characteristics (e.g. Pro Vs).  Really I am asking the question because it seems as if there is too much information on golf balls and which one I (and other golfers) should play.  I really don't know if the Q Star Tour is the best ball for me.  I have looked into switching to the Pro V1x and the Z Star, but also know that I need to actually practice a lot more to shave those 4-5 strokes off.  I really appreciate everyone's feedback as I have spent the last hour or so looking at everyone's recommendation.  I think I just need to play a couple of each and see what works best for me.  Lastly, I only recently (this year) switched over to a different hole strategy and finding the best short game club in my bag (or at least I hope).  Thanks again y'all!

Just trying to break 90 consistently

@trigs20 from 75 in is the problem holding the green or hitting the green? If theres nothing that you want to see different from the ball then why switch? I think most people switch to correct an area thats lacking. IE for dispersion, distance, stopping power, launch angle spin. If theres not really an area that you want to see change than why switch? Your already playing a 3 piece urethane ball, so not bad. Plus it has “spin skin” 😉

Side note, started using Arccos this year. Its been great. Shows me areas of my game that are lacking that I wouldnt have otherwise noticed. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I am also thinking of switching to a different ball. I used a Bridgestone RBX a couple years ago and liked it. I found the Srixon Qstar tour was a little less expensive and results were the same, I then switched to the VX and that is a good ball as well. the price is catching up Bridgestone, Titleist and thinking of going back to Bridgestone which is the ball I feel I played better than the other. My driver speed is 108-112MP and I'm currently 17 HDCP. been dealing with injuries and the HDCP went up 3-4 points last year. 

Sorry not intending to drag your thread somewhere else or on me, just put that info for reference. 

I would try the XV Srixon, Titleist pro V and Bridgestone RBX, which model you are going to have to decide that. 

Good luck in your search. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I will agree with whoever up above said we think too much into the ball issue.  That being said, I'd recommend finding something and sticking with it as much as possible.  The consistency will help more than anything.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

Psssttttt...........Snell !  but don't tell anybody else or there won't be enough balls for me.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Why don't you try Snell MTB and MTBx, get a sampler pack from them and see what you think.  Be worth a little $ to try them out.  Think I saw the sampler packs are back in stock.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

My suggestion would be to go to the practice range with your wedges and a putter only for at least once out of three trips to practice.  You will see more gain by practicing the less than full shots and putting than you will by choosing a new ball.  I understand that you are looking for a good gamer... The Srixon is a good ball, so are the others mentioned and more.  That is really a preference to each golfer.  I took my own advice and while I am not a scratch golfer by any means, I shaved more strokes by practicing around the green and even practicing "getting out of trouble" shots than I ever did going to the range and hitting all full shots.  Just my opinion, your results may vary.  Good luck lowering your scores... wishing you success!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I can only duplicate some of these responses.  Practicing chipping control on missed approach shots within 90 feet of green will improve your score with any ball you play.  I doubt on these that the ball absent any real additional practice will make any difference.  Secondly as someone else pointed out.  If 75 yards is not a full shot with one of your clubs, and your coming up with this partial shot by hitting driver of the tee on Par 4's, Or Driver 3 wood on par 5's, then as pointed out play to a full shot distance.  On many par 4's and 5's I play whichever club(s) will leave me 100 yards into the green(full 52 degree wedge).  I no longer hit driver... 3 wood on every par 5 and leave myself 67.5 yards, which is a half, 60 percent swing with a club.  I hit driver and then 4, 5, 6 iron whatever leaves me at 100 (52 wedge) or 108 (A wedge) into the green.  This is assuming that I'm not having a great day, and a perfect 3 wood would let me get on in 2 (which is almost never).  Strokes gained people will tell you to hit it as close as you can, but if you have no idea what a 58 percent sand wedge feels like from 54 yards, then I think you'll be better hitting a full (some kind of wedge from whatever distance that is(until you practice that 58 percent shot a little more.

All that being said... You will likely get the best performance for your game, with or without more practice, by using a $47 a dozen Pro V1, or Z-Star.  Below these I have found that most other 3 piece 25-30 dollar a dozen balls perform about the same.  I have used almost all of them, (Q Star, Maxfli Tour, Bridgestone E6, E12, Wilson Staff Duo.)  Some are clearly a little 'harder" than others, but I think bad play and bad technique always has more to do with how close my ball ends up to the pin, than the ball itself.  Practice has made the difference in my game.  Practice making more 3, 4, 5 &6 foot putts, and practice chipping it closer to the pin from 0-25 feet off the green.  Remember professionals only 1 putt 50 % of the time from 8 feet.  So calculate your game and expectations accordingly.  My only thought on ANYTHING over 8 feet (in light of the previously mentioned statistic) is don't three putt. " Get it into the 3 foot circle (because we  practice those 3 and 4 footers) take my 2 Putt, and walk away happy.  

I am truly only trying to give you my perspective as someone who struggled to get below 90 for a long time.  I then  after receiving some advice and research, began to more regularly practice exactly what I have mentioned and was able to then get into the mid, low 80's pretty regularly.  In the end as someone else mentioned also... Play whatever ball (where price is concerned) that you can afford.  Keeping in mind that the amount of time spent looking for that ball has an affect on those playing behind you.

Edited by stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV