Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Price of In Person Lessons

After playing this game we love, or love to hate, for way too many years, I've decided to finally take lessons.  A friend of a friend is a golf pro at the local CC, of which I'm not a member.  I know the pro decently enough.  But since I've never taken a lesson, not sure how much an hour session should cost.  If for some reason it matters, I'm in the NYC Metro area.

TIA

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

Understanding that I am probably on the high end, I pay $200 per month for a 1.5 hr lesson and two trackman sessions (where I can rent a trackman to use at the facility for an hour but there is no coaching involved). I usually don't use both the trackman sessions so essentially I am paying $133/hr for lessons. They value the trackman rental as about $25/hr so maybe it is $100/hr. Depends on your view I guess.

My coach has video, trackman, GEARS, all types of stuff and has a studio that opens out to a range so I would so it is pretty high end. I can send him video when I am at the range or at home and ask questions in between lessons and that is included in the monthly fee. I should note, I have seen lessons for as little as $50/hr. I live in Nashville, TN. 

Personally, I really enjoy my lessons and my rapport with my instructor so I keep going back each month. It gives me a lot more confidence in my game and is well worth the money, to me. I play with a lot of guys that never seem to get better and get pissed on the golf course and buy new clubs and training aids and, in some ways, waste their money playing golf at nice courses because they don't enjoy it and have some pretty bad mechanics. In that respect, not to sound smug, I feel like my lessons are well worth the money. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Most pros these days are $100 plus especially in areas of the country where cost of living is high. The more popular a coach is the higher the cost is going to be. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd say at least $100/hour but some will offer a package deal where you buy x# and get a free one or something like that.  @vandylandyou're fortunate to have access to a Trackman, really wish I had that available.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

@Larryd3 - based on the Trackman locator it looks like there are several in the Tampa area. Not sure if you can rent time on them but might be worth checking out. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

My pro here in SW Va. offers lesson packages at discounts.  For example 45 minute lesson for non members is $60, 3 lesson package $165, and 5 lesson package $240.  The pro here uses many different training aids and GC Quad.  It would appear my area is a lot cheaper than most, but packages seem to be common and the best bang for the buck.  

My advice would be to take a single lesson to make sure you are comfortable with whoever you decide to see.  Once you're comfortable, go for a package if offered. 

Arccos Tracking

Bushnell Tour V4

Driver: Ping G410 Max 

Fairway: 5W 0341X Proto  | 7W Taylormade M2 

Irons: 0311P GEN3 IRONS 

Hybrid: Taylormade GAPR 21 Mid 

Weges: 54 and 58 SM8 Vokey

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rball 34"

Ball: Pro V1X

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

@Larryd3 - based on the Trackman locator it looks like there are several in the Tampa area. Not sure if you can rent time on them but might be worth checking out. 

Thanks so much.  I'll look into it.  didn't know about the locator.  Appreciate it. 

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

1 minute ago, Tat2Golf said:

My advice would be to take a single lesson to make sure you are comfortable with whoever you decide to see.  Once you're comfortable, go for a package if offered. 

absolutely a great point.  I sure wouldn't buy a package of lessons without having met with the teacher and taking a lesson first.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap