Whаt іѕ the bеѕt FREE GPS gоlf арр?

I use The Grint for an official handicap only.  I don't care much for the real time tracking.  I use GolfPadGPS for real time tracking.  It has a free and a paid ($20/yr) version.

27 minutes ago, ful25 said:

I vоuсh fоr The Grint. It's аn аll іn оnе app, frее to uѕе: Sсоrе kееріng. Handicap. GPS, with distance trасkіng fоr еасh club. Community. 

The handicap doesn't come with the free version, does it?

WITB:

Nothing presently.  I'm doing a full rebuild soon after my golfer's elbow heals and I get a full fitting.

18Birdies is a pretty good free GPS where you can pay for some extras. They also just updated and will automatically measure the tee shot so you know how far your tee shot went. Before that you had to manually choose to measure, and if you forgot it didn't measure your shot. It's great that I will now know the distance of every pull hook into the woods.

• Haha 2

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

I have had Golf Shot but now use The Grint. There is a free and a paid option. I pay the fee in thinking it will help them with updates etc. I find it easy user friendly, clear, and easy to change hole if you forget to put a score in or for those scrambles starting on different holes. It keeps a handicap that is up to date the WHS. Gets me a close enough yardage as I am a hacker and really only need 10 yard grievance. 

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

Karsten Ping Zing putter

I'm becoming a big fan of TheGrint.  I really like the notes feature.  It's great to have a place to put your thoughts down if you're gameplanning or notice something on a hole that you don't want to forget.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Another vote for the Grint. Started out with the free version and now use the paid version. Really easy to use.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16

Hybrid- Cobra F8 19 degree 

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW

Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50,54,58

Putter- Tour Edge Hp Nickkel Chrome Series 1

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

I have the Grint and Swing U but actually pay for premium on Swing U because its so good. I like the grint but too much pushing for online stuff. I dont do that

Posted (edited)

My thought on this is just try them (they are free after all) and see which you like the most.  You can keep them all for as long as you feel the need to, and opt in to paid features if/when you find one that you get on with the best.

I did this for a few. Although I have a GPS watch, I have a free app on my phone (currently using - Info Talk) that lets me survey courses at my leisure before I play them.  I don't use it much, but it's nice having it there.

Edited by Pandaman

I use The Grint.

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- but a bit less so with my recent change from a PING driver

:titelist-small: - TSi2 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Raw Blue 55 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL and Tracked by :ShotScope: - V2 (V3 ordered)

Used Hole19 for awhile. This year switched over the SwingU.  I use the premium, but my buddy uses the free version which he likes.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

I really love Swing U.  Very simplistic design, great topviews of each hole and in my experience pretty accurate GPS.  Im also the designated scorekeeper of my group so being able to add my buddies to my round and track everyone is so easy as well.  I am now a premium user.

Driver (10.5): Taylormade SIM2 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S)
3-Wood (13.5): Taylormade SIM2 TI (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X)
Irons (2I, 4I-7I, 8I-PW): Mizuno MP-20/MMC/HMB (Steelfiber i95 Stiff)
GW (51/11): Cleveland CBX 2 (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
SW (56/12): Cleveland CBX Full Face (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
LW (62/6): Cleveland ZipCore Tour Rack (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
Putter: Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 Center Shaft
Ball: Pro V1x Left Dash

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried several, but always come back to The Grint.  I like how it syncs with my Apple Watch, the shot tracking, and the ease of entering my score.

• Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg            Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg            Epic Flash 3 & GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg            Epic Flash 4H
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png          CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter     Seemore3.jpg.f4ef99613c6f9407a7e1a0a6ce56bf3e.jpg       Seemore Si1

Not technically free but if you already have a usga handicap, their new GHIN gps is pretty good. 

• Like 2

Mavrik Driver

Mavrik 4W

Taylormade Gapr Mid 3i

Mizuno Forged 919 4-GW

Callaway Jaws 56,60

O Works 7

8 minutes ago, Wigglez said:

Not technically free but if you already have a usga handicap, their new GHIN gps is pretty good. 

Is it now on there? I have the GHIN app, but I don't seem to see any GPS

• Like 1

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

I use Golfpad along with my Samsung Galaxy watch. It's great for shot tracking and club suggestions and the watch can be used in standalone mode so distance is tracked by the watch so I leave my phone in the bag.

Bag: Ping 425 sft, tour edge Hl4 irons, XXIO 3 wood, 20 year old Nike putter

+1 Swing U

I've been very happy with it.  Scorecard, GPS, Score sharing, stats etc.  I tried the Grint when SwingU was charging for Handicap scores, but something about it didn't work for me.  It may have been the ads.  Since SwingU brought back the handicap scores, I went back and it's been going great.

RH Taylormade SIM2 8* w/ Smoke RDX Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 15* w/ Aldila Rogue White 70x

Taylormade M1 19* , Fujikura 869 Stiff

Ping S55 4-PW,  TT X-100 Tour Issue

Bettinardi  Studio Stock 28

In my experience, I found that while most of the GPS apps worked very well, the ones that used hole photos taken from Google Earth were the hardest to see on the phone in daylight. The ones that give graphics of the holes instead of photos work better for me. In that case, If that is your preference, I would try Tag Heuer, Golf GPS from Birdie Apps or iGolf Mobile (my favorite as it shows the 100 150 200 arcs etc. and notwithstanding the name, is available for Android).

If I wanted to use a photo based app, I tended to like 18 Birdies. But I will give Swing U a try.

• Like 1

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

I use 18 birdies simply because it was shown to me by a playing partner upon my return to golf a couple years ago. It’s free, simple to add playing partners (even if their not on the app), and has basic stat tracking without paying for premium. 

The GPS is fine for finding basic yardage from the tee box, but it’s hard to beat a rangefinder for accurate yardage closer to the green.

I also question the accuracy of the handicap on this app. 

I’ll definitely follow this to see what others suggest. 

Edited by Mzno

GHIN just launched theirs! Have not used it yet, but looks like there is a fee for "enhanced" data!

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 MAX  15

Hybrid - TaylorMade SIM MAX 19

Irons - Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW 

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54D & 58M

Putter - Odyssey WH RX VLine

On 7/30/2021 at 3:51 PM, JeremyD said:

Is it now on there? I have the GHIN app, but I don't seem to see any GPS

it just showed up on my GHIN app in the last couple days.  I haven't tried it out yet.  

• Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybrids 3,5

Apex 21 5-gw

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58

PXG Operator H