Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cut Golf Ball

Good Found a Cut golf ball and looked  it up on internet. Read about them and then ordered a dozen Cut Grey, three piece ball with urethane cover. The ball performs well for me….Ball reviews spoke to the cover scuffing. I did not find that to be an issue however it seems that the urethane wears off quickly. At $20 a dozen, don’t mind losing them or having the urethane wear off. Is anyone else experiencing the same results. Do you know where they are made and their history?

Titleist TS1 10.5

Tour Edge CB 5 5 wood

PXG 19 degree hybrid

PXG 24 degree hybrid

Titleist 716 AP 1 5-G

Titleist 52 degree wedge

Titleist 56 degree wedge

Seemore 34” Del Mar Putter

Cut are nice golf balls.  Theyre basically the same thing as Snell, Vice or Maxfli.  All of those DTC balls are made in the same ball plants in Asia.  Ive played the Cut Red before and its a decent ball.

I dont recall exactly where they are made but I believe its either South Korea or Taiwan.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The balls may be made in the same plants, but Snell's IP is their own.  Cut, I'm pretty sure, do not do their own design or R&D.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I played the balls and didn't care for them. It seemed to me like they had no feel. I don't know where the balls are made, but Cut is a So. Cal based company.

10.5 Epic Flash

TM 3 Wood

Titleist 20* 5 Wood

Apex Pro Irons

58 TM and 60 Callaway degree wedges

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

I tested the Cut Grey and Blue several years ago - found them to be significantly shorter than most urethane golf balls.

Although they did spin well, they didn't wear well.

I had a dozen of each, still have a few sleeves of each left, no plans to put them into play.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

Cut is a good ball and priced correctly - no tour pros to pay and no expensive tv adds    Some criticize Cut based on consistency but that sounds like a Title list ad to me.    I'll agree tv pros playing for a million+ each week need consistency, but everyday players posting here may not be quite that good.   Cut always plays just fine for me: the balls are more consistent than our game.

Recall the original Kirkland 4 layer - great ball that had the big names - afraid of the competition -  scrambling to stop production.   Kirkland proved that great golf balls don't really cost $50 per dozen.  Cut continues the trend.  

I did the trial sleeve of the Cut Blue DC. Those things are firm. I found distance to be comparable but the cover was very clicky for me. Of my trial pack, one ball lasted only one shot before I took it out of play due to a significant scuff (8i from a clean lie in the fairway), another one lasted a couple holes until it found a bunker and my wedge put a pretty sizable gash in the cover, and the final ball finished out the round but I knew I wasn't going to game them, so I moved it over to my shag bag. For the price, if you're good with regularly taking balls out of play (throughout a single round) and you like a very firm ball, then I think you could get some really good performance for your money with the DC.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

The Cut web site lists the DC as 105 compression: a hard golf ball unless you are playing in 100 degree heat.   

I play the 80 compression Cut gray - 3 layer with urethane cover.   Durable, and good performance.  

On 6/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, ZenGolfer said:

Cut are nice golf balls.  Theyre basically the same thing as Snell, Vice or Maxfli.  All of those DTC balls are made in the same ball plants in Asia.  Ive played the Cut Red before and its a decent ball.

I dont recall exactly where they are made but I believe its either South Korea or Taiwan.

Not true. Snell - S Korea, Vice - Taiwan, Maxfli - Taiwan, Cut - Vietnam

On 6/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

The balls may be made in the same plants, but Snell's IP is their own.  Cut, I'm pretty sure, do not do their own design or R&D.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, Paul Wharton said:

Most of DTC Balls are made in same plant use patents that have expired (over 10 years old). 
QC can be poor and product can be very inconsistent. 
Remember if it’s seems too good to be True it probably isn’t. Stick with a Pro V !!!

Some DTC are indeed dated generic balls, they’re not all the same…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 1 year later...

The Cut Blues I just received on 08/11/22 were marked deep in the bottom side corner of inside of the box " made in Taiwan", this will be my first and last dozen, I don't mind so much if it's imported from anywhere but China, but if an attempt is made to conceal the fact , we're done forever!

On 8/11/2022 at 4:21 PM, Bad back said:

The Cut Blues I just received on 08/11/22 were marked deep in the bottom side corner of inside of the box " made in Taiwan", this will be my first and last dozen, I don't mind so much if it's imported from anywhere but China, but if an attempt is made to conceal the fact , we're done forever!

Ummmmmmm...Taiwan isn't "China" in that sense.

Taiwan=Republic of China, i.e. not Communist.  A free market based Republic. Small island off the SW coast of mainland China. Makes solid products for many markets

China=Communist China/mainland China. Low quality/crappy workmanship. 

Driver-:cobra:RadSpeed 10.5 with :Fuji:  Motore X F1 Stiff
Fairway-:cobra: BioCell (Blue) 3-4 Wood set at 14.5 stock  Stiff
Utility-:touredge: CBX 19 with :projectx:HZRDUS Black 6.0
Irons - :Sub70:  699 4-AW with :TrueTemper: Dynamic Gold S300 (Soft Step)
Wedges-:mizuno: ES21 54.8/58.12W with :kbs: Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter- :ping: Craz-E G2i with JDM Black insert
Balls-:titleist: ProV1 :srixon: ZStar

I played the Cut Blue for a couple years.  Last year the covers on the Blues I ordered were getting shredded from my 8i , 9i, pw, gw.....Contacted the company and they suggested I go with the Cut Grey; and they replaced my entire order (3dz) with the Grey!  Played them and still have a dozen or so left. 

Late last year I found Srixon Z stars at Wallyworld for $24.99 and bought a couple dozen each of the Z star and the XV.  Played a sleeve of each, and still have the rest.  I'll use them eventually...

This year I purchased a 4dz box of Maxfli Tour (using a $20 off coupon), which ended up costing about the same price as the Cut Grey, which is ~$20.

Still trying the Maxfli Tour, but I do like the Cut Grey, and the Grey are definitely more durable than the Blue for me.  Will play out my supply of Srixon and Maxfli before I purchase any more and that might take me a couple years since I don't get out too often!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash, 9degree, Stock Green EvenFlow 45g, 5.0

3w: Callaway Epic Flash, 15degree, Stock Green EvenFlow, R

(Hobbyist; work on my own clubs for fun:)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 (Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

Acer Pro XV 6-Gw (Recoil 660 R)

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...using the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 35", plus 2' loft

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm not as much of a ball snob...I like the Blues and DC, and the Grey are still OK with me.  I haven't noticed the urethane wearing off of mine  yet--I'd rather play these because it's not so bad when you lose one versus losing a Pro V1 or ZStar or TP5...

Cut balls are junk, but urethane doesn’t “wear off”. It is what the cover is made of, so it can’t wear off. The finish may be wearing off, but remember, you get what you pay for and these balls simply are not very good. Contrary to one of the answers you got, the Maxfli Tour balls are excellent quality, consistent and, when on sale, are a great bargain. 

My personal experience is the previous models would scuff very quickly and played like a "value ball".  I tried the Cut DC  recently and it's an excellent ball IMO.  I've noticed minimal scuffing and performance that is equal to the Vice Pro Plus.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been gaming the Cut Blue for the last month. The cover shreds and scuffs very easily. I went through almost a whole box in a round...and only lost 1. I've also noticed they are shorter...like 10ish yards per drive shorter on average for me compared to the Maxfli Tour. I would keep them in the bag for over the water or risky tee shots, but that's about it. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST200 9.5*

4 Wood: :ping-small: G25 16.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 19*

Irons: :cobra-small: MAX 4-GW

Wedge: :nike-small: VR X3X 56*

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER11v

Launch Monitor: Ernest Sports ESB1