Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My New MP59's

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

IMG_2575.jpg

So I thought I would share some photos and some thoughts about my shiny new set of Mizuno MP59 irons.

As many of you know, this set was the full season top prize for this year's fantasy golf contest.

Originally, the prize was to be a set of MP53's, but much to my delight, Mizuno decided to upgrade the prize to this year's new model.

There has been a lot of buzz regarding these irons. Charles Howell III has already switched to them and I read rumors that even Luke Donald is checking them out.

If tour players are looking at them, then they must be right for my 15 HCP game. Right? (More on that later...)

IMG_2574.jpg

Specs of the Set:

3-PW

2° Up

Standard length and lofts

KBS Tour Stiff shafts

Mizuno branded, blue GP New Decades +2 wraps

(for reference: http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mizuno-mp-59-golf-irons )

Photo Shoot

Without a doubt, these are some of the nicest looking irons I have ever held. Definite bag candy.

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

Preliminary Play Review

My first experience with the MP59's can best be summed up with the old cowboy saying, "She's too much horse for you". Perhaps that is a little harsh, as I definitely felt like I could "ride" the 7i through PW. However, as the irons got longer, the challenge of good contact and ball flight became increasingly more difficult.

For those of you who haven't memorized my usual clubs, my gamers are Callaway Razr X irons 5-PW with Razr X 3& 4 hybrids. Call me crazy, but I think that I noticed a slight difference addressing the ball with the Cally 3H vs. the MP59 3i. I swear that the face on that iron is exactly the same size as a golfball. Obviously, it's bigger than that, but not by a bunch.

IMG_2584.jpg

The short irons feel amazing, and I know that with some time and effort, I could score fairly well with them. The long irons are another story. I think that I have a better chance of teaching myself cuneiform than I do hitting that 3i. I love the looks of these irons so much, but I can still see me using them to demonstrate a proper hammer throw technique after I duff a shot for the 15th time.

Maybe this can serve as a lesson for someone looking for clubs. Get fit. Even though Mizuno was awesome enough to make these to my specs, the MP59 head is just not right for me at this point. JPX-800 Pros would probably have been a different story as they are geared more toward a player with my game. Even then, I don't see me bagging a 3i there either.

So for now, the MP59's are back in the box and stored in the golf repository in the garage. For now, they are just a trophy of a great fantasy golf run. Maybe I'll play into them in a few seasons, or maybe they will move along to someone who is able to play them. Who knows. All I know is that for a couple of days on the course, I had the best looking bag around.

IMG_2586.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Those are a lot of stick, more than I would want to try.

Off topic: what kind of bag is that? I love the white, looks sooo good.

That is a Mizuno Aerolite 4 Stand bag. Nice lightweight stand bag.

Here is another photo showing the bag better

IMG_2579.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Dang! I was looking into a new set of irons and MP59 was one of them. I'm a 21 so I guess these won't help me either :(

The other candidates were the Adams A12/CB2 and the Mizzy JPX800 Pro or MP53.

Since no retailer in Germany carries the Adam lineup, all I can get is Mizuno. Have you ever tried the MP53 against the MP59? The JPX800 are probably more suitable... but the MP definitely looks nicer!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Really a nice set! I wouldn't give up on them though. Sometimes it just takes a little while to grow into them as they are a change for you.

I bought my first set of irons in 1999 (Ping ISI-Becu) and bought them because I loved the way they looked but knew I would have to grow into them. Now I am in the same spot with my new Miura (twelve years later) as they are roughly have the head size as the ISI.

Enjoy the experience.

Archived