Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

BAD Wedges

Are Bryson's one-length clubs hurting him in his wedge game?  TGC was just discussing his issue with strokes lost on approaches; particularly with wedges. They used DJ and JT as examples, and their ascending to #1, due to their length AND getting their wedge play fine tuned. DJ has turned his early years liability wedge play into a weapon. Ryan Barath wrote a great article on this (One-length wedges are holding Bryson DeChambeau back – GolfWRX) last year pointing to his 152nd ranking in proximity to pin from 50 to 70 yards... at 17'-10".  I just looked at that stat today and he is in dead last place.

image.png.9c17e2750d0792e1f87dbda74237580e.png

But sometimes these stats are a bit misleading or at least need to be considered in context.  With the tour average for this stat being 16'-1", it's not like he's going to see a significant increase in make percentage putting from a little less than 2 feet closer.  Also, he's tied for 73rd and slightly better than the field average of 20'-5" from 100-125 yards out and tied for 49th and better than average from 125-150 yards ... so maybe excessive driving distance is killing him ... he's too damn close 🤣.

Perhaps the U.S. Open was just an off week but this seems to be his trouble spot.  It would seem the one-length shafts might be advantageous chopping out of the ruff, but maybe not so much for those short, finesse shots off the fairway.  I think I heard that he was starting to test some shorter wedge shafts.  If he can improve this part of the game, watch out.

To those of you who have adopted the "one-length" iron shafts, are you also doing so in your wedges?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I don’t think they are costing him anything.  He is well adjusted to his setup and swing style.  I just think he is too fast.  I’ve noticed even with my measly swing that the faster and faster I swing, the touch tends to fade on wedge shots.  This could just be me being a terrible golfer.  If anything, I think the one length gives him an advantage in the wedges.  It simplifies his shot.  Plus when you are hitting the ball 3/400 yards as long as you can get it on the green… his putting is good enough to keep him in the mix.

41 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I don’t think they are costing him anything.  He is well adjusted to his setup and swing style.  I just think he is too fast.  I’ve noticed even with my measly swing that the faster and faster I swing, the touch tends to fade on wedge shots.  This could just be me being a terrible golfer.  If anything, I think the one length gives him an advantage in the wedges.  It simplifies his shot.  Plus when you are hitting the ball 3/400 yards as long as you can get it on the green… his putting is good enough to keep him in the mix.

Not really.  He definitely needs to get the ball closer to the hole from short distances.  

Putting from 15-20 feet, he ranks 184; making only 13% of his putts.
Putting from 10-15 feet, he ranks 11; making 38% of his putts.

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Are Bryson's one-length clubs hurting him in his wedge game?  TGC was just discussing his issue with strokes lost on approaches; particularly with wedges. They used DJ and JT as examples, and their ascending to #1, due to their length AND getting their wedge play fine tuned. DJ has turned his early years liability wedge play into a weapon. Ryan Barath wrote a great article on this (One-length wedges are holding Bryson DeChambeau back – GolfWRX) last year pointing to his 152nd ranking in proximity to pin from 50 to 70 yards... at 17'-10".  I just looked at that stat today and he is in dead last place.

image.png.9c17e2750d0792e1f87dbda74237580e.png

But sometimes these stats are a bit misleading or at least need to be considered in context.  With the tour average for this stat being 16'-1", it's not like he's going to see a significant increase in make percentage putting from a little less than 2 feet closer.  Also, he's tied for 73rd and slightly better than the field average of 20'-5" from 100-125 yards out and tied for 49th and better than average from 125-150 yards ... so maybe excessive driving distance is killing him ... he's too damn close 🤣.

Perhaps the U.S. Open was just an off week but this seems to be his trouble spot.  It would seem the one-length shafts might be advantageous chopping out of the ruff, but maybe not so much for those short, finesse shots off the fairway.  I think I heard that he was starting to test some shorter wedge shafts.  If he can improve this part of the game, watch out.

To those of you who have adopted the "one-length" iron shafts, are you also doing so in your wedges?

So last year, he was 152nd ranking in proximity to pin from 50 to 70 yards... at 17'-10", and this year he is dead last at over 28'.  He is still playing pretty well this year, and he is playing the same wedges as last year, just playing them worse.  I've seen him many times fly the ball over the green, and he has a perplexed look on his face.  He needs to fix that but not in the middle of this season.  I'm sure he will think of something.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Not really.  He definitely needs to get the ball closer to the hole from short distances.  

Putting from 15-20 feet, he ranks 184; making only 13% of his putts.
Putting from 10-15 feet, he ranks 11; making 38% of his putts.

Well then… maybe he should figure something out on the short end.  Gots the Bomb part down… just needs to get the gouge it seems.  That or just tee off with a 3 iron all the time, that is still far enough down the fairway.

Bryson hitting a wedge looks like someone hanging a picture with a sledge hammer. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

15 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yes, that is what I was trying to get to.

image.gif.9a368035a44ff3361625089997c5fbf8.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Did you read the article from Ryan Barath?  He goes into why the one-length in wedge play is a bad approach.  I think it was Tripp Isenhour  from TGC who was saying the same thing.  Clearly Bryson hasn't come to that conclusion but it sounds like he's headed that direction.  

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

Bryson hitting a wedge looks like someone hanging a picture with a sledge hammer. 

There isn't much about any of Bryson's swings that are pretty to watch... except the shot tracer air time 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)