TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylor made mini driver

myherobobhope

The new one (that Phil has been gaming) is coming out next week, hopefully… 11.5 and 13.5 mini driver options.

im seriously considering buying one… I need a new three wood and would love a bigger head. 

im very interested in this!

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

TM & Callaway have had mini's on and off for years! What's the BIG DEAL!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I carry a driver and a mini. The mini is good for short par fours where hitting through the fairway can be an issue. Leaves me a full club less into the green than a standard 3W. I also carry a 3HL (16.5) that I use off the deck. 

G 410 Plus

Original One

G Hybrid 19 & 22

Rogue Pro Black 5-AW

Glide 2.0 56 WS

Hi-Toe 60

Edel EAS 1.0

My Original One is my third TM mini driver.  I don't know what it is about them that just works for me, but they have been great for my game.  A bit harder to hit off the deck than a traditional 3-wood, of course, but a fantastic driver alternative off the tee.  I don't need the new one, but I'll be taking a serious look anyway.  

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

I picked up a TM mini driver about 6 years aog. It's nothing more than an over size 3 wood head. Pretty much what you could bey some 20 years ago when 260CC drivers were the norm. I have an old SnakeEyes 260CC 12* driver head I got when I started playin golf 20 years ago, and it's very much the same size and shape as the new TM Mini driver head. Just a LOT more moeny. 

Bottom line is that the newer Mini drivers are nothing more than an EASIER to hit 3 wood. depending on what loft to get. They work off a tee well and decent off the deck as well. Worth a look, but make sure you get a GOOD after market shaft to replace the cheap factory shaft, and have it properly Spine and FLO aligned it you go with a Mini. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

Cobra made a 12 deg Long Tom 2 wood in 2012-ish time frame.  260cc head at 45" long.  Worked well off a tee or off the deck.  I had one and am shooting myself for not keeping it but you know how clubs go.  Something new?  Something goes.  I replaced with a TM 3W HL.  Good club but not the same.  There are some Cobra Long Tom drivers and 2W on eBay periodically.

GPS111

Just your average hacker here. My driver/fairway wood is a 13* Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood. The only wood in the bag. Next man up is an 18* 3 hybrid. 

Edited by No3Jacks

Bag full of old Ping stuff (K15 irons and hybrids)

Cameron Squareback Select

2 hours ago, GPS111 said:

Cobra made a 12 deg Long Tom 2 wood in 2012-ish time frame.  260cc head at 45" long.  Worked well off a tee or off the deck.  I had one and am shooting myself for not keeping it but you know how clubs go.  Something new?  Something goes.  I replaced with a TM 3W HL.  Good club but not the same.  There are some Cobra Long Tom drivers and 2W on eBay periodically.

Yeah, I've been trying to find a Long Tom for a little bit... they never seem to pop up anymore... the used market is weird. I've also been looking for a 3 deep from Callaway with no success... 

I'd love to see some competition in this space and see what other OEMs make... I just want a "bigger" three wood head as it's primarily a tee club for me.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

I used to carry a Callaway Bobby Jones 2 Wood regularly.  Used it very similar to the way Phil uses what they now call the "Mini Driver" (though my results were markedly different ;)) ... same club.  Smaller head, slightly more loft.  I sought it out because my original Eye-O-Matic MacGregor Persimmons were a complete set  (Driver, 2, 3, 4 5 woods) - gifted to me from my Grandfather when he passed.  Honestly, I should be using that type of club more than the new drivers... more control and a little less difference... but sometimes longer and in trouble doesn't make sense compared to shorter and a FIR.  Hmmmmm food for thought.    

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I’ve been playing the TaylorMade Original One (11.5 head turned down to 10) since it was released. For me a fantastic alternative to the driver. I often play alone on the same course giving me the luxury to hit multiple shots when practicing. After 6+ months of hitting tee shots with both a driver and the Original One, you find out your expected landing spots, the distances etc.

The resulting difference was that when I hit them both at 9+/10, the driver is about 8-12yds longer on average. However, for whatever reason the accuracy of the Original One made the choice clear. I’d rather be in the fairway ½ club short than possible vs. OB, in the rough, behind a tree, whatever.

Perhaps it’s the ½ to ¾ inch difference in length and smaller face real estate that gives me that confidence over the ball.

Lastly, someone previously mention after market shaft. I would completely agree. I think having changed mine out to a Ventus Blue VeloCore made a huge difference. BTW, I also have OEM after market shaft options used in the driver, so the comparison was fair imo.

Strange is just a different point of view

Generally smaller heads allow for the ability to work the ball a bit better.  Not everyone is enthused with 460cc drivers.  Personally I despise them and have relegated myself to a 440cc head (9.9° loft).  I am definitely interested in the TM mini driver at 11.5 degree loft.  I can make it a lower loft by a degree or 1.5° and have close to the same loft of my current driver.  My swing is fairly repeatable where I strike the ball in the center of the club face or close to it every time so I don't need the massive face of a 460cc driver.  Also, I am not in a distance contest and am not playing big time tour or amateur events.  I play in a local tournament or two every year and would do just fine even if I lost 5-10 yards of distance.  I am looking for a driver I can work the ball right to left or left to right and control the flight of the ball better.  I have always been able to do that with smaller headed drivers.  This one just might be tempting enough to try.

TM 300 mini.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

With the new TM Mini being 307CC, you might want to see if you can find and OLD Cleveland 330 Launcher driver online and see IF you like it before you go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on the new TM, which you may not like at all. I have an old 330 Launcher that I'm sure would be a good test club to try if I was looking to get the new TM, which I am NOT interested it. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

4 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

With the new TM Mini being 307CC, you might want to see if you can find and OLD Cleveland 330 Launcher driver online and see IF you like it before you go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on the new TM, which you may not like at all. I have an old 330 Launcher that I'm sure would be a good test club to try if I was looking to get the new TM, which I am NOT interested it. 

I have been golfing for 35 years and am quite used to small headed drivers.  I used to play persimmon woods and still to this day occasionally take one of my drivers out to the course for a few ceremonial drives.  I used one last week at Ute Creek Golf Course in Longmont and out drove my TM M3 440cc 9.9° tour issue driver/2016 Taylormade Tour Preferred ball with a 1950 MacGregor M43T with original shaft/Titleist 384 Tour 100 compression ball by about 10 yards on #17 (575yd par 5).  AND I struck the drive with the M3 pretty well.  I just hit the persimmon wood even better on that strike.  My first metal wood was a Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° (mid/late 80s model).  I have gamed drivers with smaller size than the TM Mini 300 coming out.  I have hit the old Cleveland 330 Launcher as my buddy owned two of them at the same time each with a different shaft.  I hated both of them.  I did game a Taylormade 300 series 8.5° driver in the early 2000s for a couple years and loved that one.  There is a reason I like smaller headed drivers compared to the monster drivers today.  One is pure looks of the driver and two is the ability to work the ball a bit better than the TM M3 440cc driver I am currently gaming.  What can I say, I am a club ho like many of us but I am not 100% convinced I'll buy one, at least not new.  If I wait a couple months these will start showing up on the BST pages on this site and another popular site.  😄

Edited by RobotDoctor

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Very interested as I want more distance out of my 3w.  I'd love to see just how playable off the short grass this is.  I have lots of confidence hitting both my G400 3w and 5w off pool tables and if this offers that capability and about 10-20 yards more distance 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Very interested as I want more distance out of my 3w.  I'd love to see just how playable off the short grass this is.  I have lots of confidence hitting both my G400 3w and 5w off pool tables and if this offers that capability and about 10-20 yards more distance 👍.

In my experience golfers with slower swing speeds the older ones from Callaway and Tm werent that easy to hit off the deck

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I wonder i this would be something to invest in for those who play in wet conditions were you don't get much roll. I think this would be a good winter golf option for those in the PNW. hmm....

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

In my experience golfers with slower swing speeds the older ones from Callaway and Tm werent that easy to hit off the deck

I'm 60, not dead 🤣.  Do you think they have changed the sole design since the earlier versions to improve that aspect?  The difference between my former Warbird 3w and the G400's are like night and day.  I could hit the WB off the deck but not as consistently (ball flight more so) as the G400's.

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I'm not exactly "slow", I top out around 100mph usually if I'm really limber, but I will say that the 14* BB Mini I have is a no-go off the deck, at least for me. Off the tee, it's really good and it's been a confidence booster for me as I work my way back to a regular 460cc driver. But in my experience, and from others I've spoken with, the mini drivers are more of a driver/3w replacement off the tee and aren't so hot at all off the deck. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

TXG has already tested it with a mid range swinger... Looks pretty promising for that type of player. And surprisingly good off the deck with the 11.5 option

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm 60, not dead 🤣.  Do you think they have changed the sole design since the earlier versions to improve that aspect?  The difference between my former Warbird 3w and the G400's are like night and day.  I could hit the WB off the deck but not as consistently (ball flight more so) as the G400's.

In the pics I’ve seen of the new 300 I don’t see anything in the sole design that’s going to make this easier off the deck. At 307cc it’s larger than the original one and aeroburner mini drivers. 

One of the better designed soles IMO is the v steel from taylormade. The warbird was pretty good too.

I’ve been recommending those looking for a good tee and off the deck option use something in the 16.5-18* range with a 3w length shaft. The g410 5w for me was a good one while it was in my bag. I have a m5 setup that way now.

12 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'm not exactly "slow", I top out around 100mph usually if I'm really limber, but I will say that the 14* BB Mini I have is a no-go off the deck, at least for me. Off the tee, it's really good and it's been a confidence booster for me as I work my way back to a regular 460cc driver. But in my experience, and from others I've spoken with, the mini drivers are more of a driver/3w replacement off the tee and aren't so hot at all off the deck. 

Yeah the 100 mark is probably borderline where it may or may not work. The ones I’ve seen have the most success have been in the 105+ zone. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, jayjay0808 said:

TXG has already tested it with a mid range swinger... Looks pretty promising for that type of player. And surprisingly good off the deck with the 11.5 option

I'm eyeing the 13.5 and just need it to be decent off the deck... I have a couple holes on my home course where driver is too much club, but a 13.5 2 wood would be perfect.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

In the pics I’ve seen of the new 300 I don’t see anything in the sole design that’s going to make this easier off the deck. At 307cc it’s larger than the original one and aeroburner mini drivers. 

One of the better designed soles IMO is the v steel from taylormade. The warbird was pretty good too.

I’ve been recommending those looking for a good tee and off the deck option use something in the 16.5-18* range with a 3w length shaft. The g410 5w for me was a good one while it was in my bag. I have a m5 setup that way now.

Yeah the 100 mark is probably borderline where it may or may not work. The ones I’ve seen have the most success have been in the 105+ zone. 

If the 100mph mark is the Mendoza line for this driver then that is certainly something to think about.  I'd love to be like the young bucks on this and other sites who boasts of 110-115+ driver swing speeds but I am a not-so-flexible mid 50 year old golfer who's 120+mph driver swing speed is long behind in the rear view mirror.  Today I swing around 100 mph on lower speed days and can achieve 105mph on good days.  I'll definitely want to demo this driver with shaft options and compare it to my M3 gamer.

2 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

Definitely on my demo day list 👍. Mikey definitely likes it 🙂.

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

If the 100mph mark is the Mendoza line for this driver then that is certainly something to think about.  I'd love to be like the young bucks on this and other sites who boasts of 110-115+ driver swing speeds but I am a not-so-flexible mid 50 year old golfer who's 120+mph driver swing speed is long behind in the rear view mirror.  Today I swing around 100 mph on lower speed days and can achieve 105mph on good days.  I'll definitely want to demo this driver with shaft options and compare it to my M3 gamer.

You are definitely right on that line. It needs almost a 3w type aoa 

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are definitely right on that line. It needs almost a 3w type aoa 

Of course losing a bit of weight and regaining some flexibility in my shoulders, arms and back would definitely add to the swing speed.  The curse of getting older.  🤔

36 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Of course losing a bit of weight and regaining some flexibility in my shoulders, arms and back would definitely add to the swing speed.  The curse of getting older.  🤔

Potentially. Changing ones body can cause a change in swing mechanics that may lead to being out of sync. 

I'm a fan.  

This would be fantastic for the golfer that struggles with their driver but wants a little more mass behind the ball.  I could also see the Sunday bag guys who play 3 or 4 irons with a putter and a 3 wood or high lofted driver. 

Looks good...if anyone puts one in play, throw a review together...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Potentially. Changing ones body can cause a change in swing mechanics that may lead to being out of sync. 

Tell me about it!  😄

Edited by RobotDoctor