TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylor made mini driver

myherobobhope

I am curious how the 300 mini would perform with a Ventus black shaft.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I have a Taylor made fitting tomorrow (they are sending a fitter to the club)… really hoping this is in the cart.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

I'd be tempted to put one in the bag on a tight course I don't tend to use my wood very often but would feel more obligated to use this off the tee then hurting my ego with a severely errant drive.

• Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

If this driver is within 10 yards of my M3 but I can work the ball with greater ease then this is definitely a driver that I could came full time.  I don't have an ego that makes me want to play from the tips anymore.  I am in my mid 50s and the days of playing in tournaments with the young bucks are over.  I still have golf ego but it is not how far I hit the ball, it is how low I score.  I have a tendency to try to score (witness my short game) as opposed to the machismo shots (letting the Big Dog feast).  I cannot tell you how many young long ball hitters I end up scoring lower at the end of the round.  😂

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Was not an option in the fitting cart... I was pounding the 13 degree TM 3 wood, though.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

On 7/3/2021 at 5:00 PM, IONEPUTT said:

With the new TM Mini being 307CC, you might want to see if you can find and OLD Cleveland 330 Launcher driver online and see IF you like it before you go out and spend a couple hundred dollars on the new TM, which you may not like at all. I have an old 330 Launcher that I'm sure would be a good test club to try if I was looking to get the new TM, which I am NOT interested it. 

The biggest difference between the modern Mini drivers and the similar sized drivers of Ye Olde Days is that equipment companies now better understand they need to go lower with the CG to decrease spin.  Too many of the older drivers had the CG higher than would be optimal for spin production, for those players who need to worry about it.

And with that higher CG, harder to hit off the deck.  The modern Minis, less of a problem.  For those who can hit a club that size and loft off the deck, obviously.  😉

Personally, I see this as a driver replacement instead of a 2 wood or even thriver, for my purposes.  I prefer to play a driver between 43" and 43.5", and get better results from smaller clubheads.  Seems like a good fit.  The only thing that makes me pump the brakes a bit is that I've already got an Original One.

I'll still give this a look.  No interest in the stock shaft, I've already got shafts I can plug into this.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 7/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, RobotDoctor said:

If this driver is within 10 yards of my M3 but I can work the ball with greater ease then this is definitely a driver that I could came full time.  I don't have an ego that makes me want to play from the tips anymore.  I am in my mid 50s and the days of playing in tournaments with the young bucks are over.  I still have golf ego but it is not how far I hit the ball, it is how low I score.  I have a tendency to try to score (witness my short game) as opposed to the machismo shots (letting the Big Dog feast).  I cannot tell you how many young long ball hitters I end up scoring lower at the end of the round.  😂

I had a session with the club fitter at my home course on the trackman and tested the Taylormade 300 Mini driver (11.5°).  I tried it with the stock shaft (stiff flex, 43.75") and had the best results at 2 degrees strong (9.5).  Trackman produced driver distances at nearly 275 yards (245 yard carry), swing speed at 97-99 mph and smash factor averaging at 150.  I then tried my Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S (45") from my M3 driver in the 300 Mini driver at 11.5° and had results not as good as the 300 Mini with the stock shaft.  Trackman produced driver distances at nearly 275 - 280 yards (245 yard carry), swing speed at 100 mph and smash factor averaging at 143.  I had the best results with the Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S driver shaft they had in stock for demos.  I tried the setting one setting stronger than standard, so 10.8°.  Trackman produced driver distances at nearly 290 yards (260 yard carry), just over 100mph swing speed and smash factor averaging at 150.  I was also able to hit some decent draws and fades with the 300 Mini that is difficult to do with the M3.  My shot dispersion with the Ventus Blue 5S shaft was the tightest of all the combinations averaging 10 yards of center, shading to the left of center).  I couldn't have hit this better.  My M3 with the Tour AD DI 6S shaft was producing swing speed around 98-99mph, smash factor around 142-143 and distance around 280 yards (245-250 yards carry).  I would be interested in seeing how the Ventus Blue 5S would perform in my M3 but as it is the TM 300 Mini with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S at 45" has been ordered.  This is a driver replacement, not a club to fit in between the driver and 3 wood or 3 wood replacement.

The trackman numbers don't lie. I have come to believe that the Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S shaft is more than my old body can maximize.  Now I question whether this shaft is the right fit for me and may part with them (but that is another story).  Not only was the 300 Mini within 10 yards of my current driver (M3) it was about 10 yards longer.  I am playing a round tomorrow and will see if I can borrow the demo club with the Ventus Blue 5S shaft.  I may set the driver to 10.2° (2 clicks stronger) when I try the demo driver to see how it performs. 

On 7/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, myherobobhope said:

Yeah, I've been trying to find a Long Tom for a little bit... they never seem to pop up anymore... the used market is weird. I've also been looking for a 3 deep from Callaway with no success... 

I'd love to see some competition in this space and see what other OEMs make... I just want a "bigger" three wood head as it's primarily a tee club for me.

Had the Cobra Long Tom as well. Wish I had kept it. I built myself a Wishon 919 FD / 260cc several years ago and its my money club off the tee. Only change shafts out occasionally. And the hosel is bendable (face angle/lie angle) and two weight ports. Competition/fitting options are good for consumer. 

4 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I had a session with the club fitter at my home course on the trackman and tested the Taylormade 300 Mini driver (11.5°).  I tried it with the stock shaft (stiff flex, 43.75") and had the best results at 2 degrees strong (9.5).  Trackman produced driver distances at nearly 275 yards (245 yard carry), swing speed at 97-99 mph and smash factor averaging at 150.  I then tried my Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S (45") from my M3 driver in the 300 Mini driver at 11.5° and had results not as good as the 300 Mini with the stock shaft.  Trackman produced driver distances at nearly 275 - 280 yards (245 yard carry), swing speed at 100 mph and smash factor averaging at 143.  I had the best results with the Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S driver shaft they had in stock for demos.  I tried the setting one setting stronger than standard, so 10.8°.  Trackman produced driver distances at nearly 290 yards (260 yard carry), just over 100mph swing speed and smash factor averaging at 150.  I was also able to hit some decent draws and fades with the 300 Mini that is difficult to do with the M3.  My shot dispersion with the Ventus Blue 5S shaft was the tightest of all the combinations averaging 10 yards of center, shading to the left of center).  I couldn't have hit this better.  My M3 with the Tour AD DI 6S shaft was producing swing speed around 98-99mph, smash factor around 142-143 and distance around 280 yards (245-250 yards carry).  I would be interested in seeing how the Ventus Blue 5S would perform in my M3 but as it is the TM 300 Mini with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S at 45" has been ordered.  This is a driver replacement, not a club to fit in between the driver and 3 wood or 3 wood replacement.

The trackman numbers don't lie. I have come to believe that the Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S shaft is more than my old body can maximize.  Now I question whether this shaft is the right fit for me and may part with them (but that is another story).  Not only was the 300 Mini within 10 yards of my current driver (M3) it was about 10 yards longer.  I am playing a round tomorrow and will see if I can borrow the demo club with the Ventus Blue 5S shaft.  I may set the driver to 10.2° (2 clicks stronger) when I try the demo driver to see how it performs. 

Those are awesome numbers… that’s a ton of roll! Hope it works for you… I’m hoping to try one soon.

Sub70 5i - DG S400

I played an Exotics EX-9 Tour Long 13.5* head for a couple years. I LOVED it off the tee, but it wasn’t great off-the-deck.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 minutes ago, myherobobhope said:

Those are awesome numbers… that’s a ton of roll! Hope it works for you… I’m hoping to try one soon.

The trackman was set up to have 30 yards of roll.  My course is generally around 10-15 yards of roll.  I am not sure if altitude was set up for the trackman as we sit at 5,000 feet above sea level.  The real test will come tomorrow when I play.  I am hoping to borrow the 11.5° demo and the Ventus Blue 5S shaft.  I am sure I'll get the opportunity and will see how the 300 Mini performs.

I have a working man's version of a mini, a 2 wood (98 Big Bertha). I have never driven it so straight and it doesn't go as high as I thought it would so it has a little run. It's plenty long for my homes course at 6100 yards. I am building a 48" driver for our two par 5's and two par 4's that I can go for w/o losing a ball.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:40 PM, Shankster said:

Real question is… do I need it.

I didn't understand the question.  What language are you speaking?

😈😈😈

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:50 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I have been golfing for 35 years and am quite used to small headed drivers.  I used to play persimmon woods and still to this day occasionally take one of my drivers out to the course for a few ceremonial drives.  I used one last week at Ute Creek Golf Course in Longmont and out drove my TM M3 440cc 9.9° tour issue driver/2016 Taylormade Tour Preferred ball with a 1950 MacGregor M43T with original shaft/Titleist 384 Tour 100 compression ball by about 10 yards on #17 (575yd par 5).  AND I struck the drive with the M3 pretty well.  I just hit the persimmon wood even better on that strike.  My first metal wood was a Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° (mid/late 80s model).  I have gamed drivers with smaller size than the TM Mini 300 coming out.  I have hit the old Cleveland 330 Launcher as my buddy owned two of them at the same time each with a different shaft.  I hated both of them.  I did game a Taylormade 300 series 8.5° driver in the early 2000s for a couple years and loved that one.  There is a reason I like smaller headed drivers compared to the monster drivers today.  One is pure looks of the driver and two is the ability to work the ball a bit better than the TM M3 440cc driver I am currently gaming.  What can I say, I am a club ho like many of us but I am not 100% convinced I'll buy one, at least not new.  If I wait a couple months these will start showing up on the BST pages on this site and another popular site.  😄

Yep like you I still hit persimmon some especially practicing---- In fact I set up a range laminate driver--- It is a black Power Bilt laminate-- That way I do not worry about cracking it with range rocks and beside If I crack it I have about 10 PB drivers and this one is not pristine of collectable.

Now does your M-3 have the twist face? I know my M-6 does which is another way of putting it as we both know old school style is known as bulge and roll. I like it because it is the first driver I could ever control a draw with. But I will admit I can get some funky ball flights when I miss one especially a toe hook. The smaller metal heads the jury is out on them as far as I go--- The smaller steel head era I was still playing persimmon---- My first steel head was a Founders Judge I think 300 CC with a X-100 steel shaft. I cracked that head along the rails on the sole which I found out later those were prone to cracking with stiff steel shafts. If I were to try the smaller steel head route I can go back in the building I have several Berthas and one "Great Big Bertha" I also have a Bridgestone J's Weapon which has the original shaft and grip. Which I know for a fact that shaft is too much for me now but I hate to break it up because some collector may want it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

TaylorMade can do what it wants, of course,

but I refuse to call a 307cc club a "mini-driver."

That's as big as any driver ever needs to get for me.

To me, mini-drivers are those 2-woods that the manufacturers insist on calling "strong 3s."

In any case, the mornings are now too cold for playing in shirtsleeves,

and it gets dark too early to finish afternoon starts.

Time to tie a ribbon on this golf season.

It was great simply to have one after last year's debacle.  

We'll see what next year brings.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 10/18/2021 at 4:30 AM, BIG STU said:

Yep like you I still hit persimmon some especially practicing---- In fact I set up a range laminate driver--- It is a black Power Bilt laminate-- That way I do not worry about cracking it with range rocks and beside If I crack it I have about 10 PB drivers and this one is not pristine of collectable.

Now does your M-3 have the twist face? I know my M-6 does which is another way of putting it as we both know old school style is known as bulge and roll. I like it because it is the first driver I could ever control a draw with. But I will admit I can get some funky ball flights when I miss one especially a toe hook. The smaller metal heads the jury is out on them as far as I go--- The smaller steel head era I was still playing persimmon---- My first steel head was a Founders Judge I think 300 CC with a X-100 steel shaft. I cracked that head along the rails on the sole which I found out later those were prone to cracking with stiff steel shafts. If I were to try the smaller steel head route I can go back in the building I have several Berthas and one "Great Big Bertha" I also have a Bridgestone J's Weapon which has the original shaft and grip. Which I know for a fact that shaft is too much for me now but I hate to break it up because some collector may want it

My M3 does have twist face.  I agree with you in that there can be some interesting ball flight when the ball is struck high toe.  I don't really practice too much with persimmon too much as I really don't have a practice wood.  Then again, I do have a M43T that was sourced for the sole plate that I could use.  The toe of this M43T was filled in with epoxy as quite a bit of wood was removed.  It has great grain and is a shame someone who shouldn't have hit persimmon ruined this one.  It is a decent driver and would prove to be a decent practice club.  In fact that is a great idea.

The 300 Mini has proven to be a terrific driver (when a driver's length shaft is installed).