TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dave’s Take: The Clover Whiskey Collection Inspired by Bobby Jones

GolfSpy Dave

Great write-up.  Making me very thirsty on a Friday afternoon.

Not a ton around WI except for private clubs.  Hopefully it takes off and some national retailers like Total Wine can start carrying it.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

• SPY VIP

It used to be only private clubs. Distribution is a pretty new thing I believe. Hopefully it will expand quickly.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Looks like the Tennessee is all around me, but I may have to do some hunting for the Rye. Thanks for this Dave!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

It used to be only private clubs. Distribution is a pretty new thing I believe. Hopefully it will expand quickly.

Have you traded in microbrews for bourbon?  Still play at Haggin Oaks?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Bucky CC said:

Great write-up.  Making me very thirsty on a Friday afternoon.

Not a ton around WI except for private clubs.  Hopefully it takes off and some national retailers like Total Wine can start carrying it.

Looks like a few liquor stores around Madison are turning up in the search - I might swing by and check on the way home tonight. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

• SPY VIP
1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Have you traded in microbrews for bourbon?  Still play at Haggin Oaks?

A little bit. Finally found Heady Topper this week. That may have closed out the beer obsession. Bourbon has such diversity that it is fun to learn about and hunt. Allocated stuff is so expensive though.

Volvo Intorqueo

1 hour ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

Looks like a few liquor stores around Madison are turning up in the search - I might swing by and check on the way home tonight. 

Nope. Struck out at spot #1. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

A little bit. Finally found Heady Topper this week. That may have closed out the beer obsession. Bourbon has such diversity that it is fun to learn about and hunt. Allocated stuff is so expensive though.

So many micros around and I'm one that when I find a beer I like, I tend to stick with it... mostly stouts and porters.  Not big on IPAs.

Spirits are a lot cheaper in Cali than it is here in WA!!  I started trying bourbons about 3 years ago; some are fine, others are so-so in my mind.  I also prefer bourbons with a lot of oak.  Current fav is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

I thought about you guys at Haggin Oaks in March as I was driving through from SoCal.  Would have stopped, but we wanted to get home; drove from Visalia to Richland WA.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice review Dave…….I may have to try the Ky Straight bourbon if I can find it.  Right now I cannot get Buffalo Trace, Weller or Blanton in my neck of the woods(central FL). I’ll keep looking and plan on stacking up when I go home to Frankfort KY.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP
On 7/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, fozcycle said:

Nice review Dave…….I may have to try the Ky Straight bourbon if I can find it.  Right now I cannot get Buffalo Trace, Weller or Blanton in my neck of the woods(central FL). I’ll keep looking and plan on stacking up when I go home to Frankfort KY.

It's so crazy how the different bourbons show up at different levels in the states. Nearly every grocery store out here has 10+ bottles of Buffalo Trace on the shelves. No Weller at all, and Eagle Rare is rare. I would think FL would be closer to KY and have a better shot.

Volvo Intorqueo

14 hours ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

It's so crazy how the different bourbons show up at different levels in the states. Nearly every grocery store out here has 10+ bottles of Buffalo Trace on the shelves. No Weller at all, and Eagle Rare is rare. I would think FL would be closer to KY and have a better shot.

Don’t know how it works, but all the stores around Wesley Chapel have none.  I stop by every other week to check.  Guess I’ll have to make a visit home to Frankfort and just go to the Distillery store.  The largest store around, Total Wine & Spirits does not carry Blanton products….WTH?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 months later...

There are three ABC stores within 30 minutes of me that stock The Clover, but they are the only two in the area that make an effort to have a good bourbon collection. Not surprisingly, an ABC store I stopped by in Pinehurst also stocked it.

Edited by Hobert

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10